The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
Manhands69

Ring Dwarf Rings

I was wondering what ever happened to the dwarfs that possessed the rings? They are mentioned in teh very beginning of the book and not mentioned again throughout the whole triology. AM i just missing something?
Old 01-27-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Question

You know, I really don't know! That is a very good question! I was hoping to find out myself by seeing who responded! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy many times, I am starting on the books of lost tales and the Silmarilion, but I haven't heard much about the Dwarf Lords. I will let you know when I find out!!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:52 AM   #3
greywind
Pile O'Bones

greywind has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think the each of 7 dwarf lords held the rings, and with the rings power they led the 7 dwarf - hosts. somewhere around.

there is traces in the appendixes though... about the one sauron takes back from this dude in dol guldur... when he goes to visit the necromancer. cant remember clearly though.

eventually; at the end of the 3rd age sauron had them, or they where melted by dragons. i thonk he had 3 or 4.

we will need someone with a little better perspective than me here, though
greywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:59 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Quote:
there is traces in the appendixes though... about the one sauron takes back from this dude in dol guldur... when he goes to visit the necromancer. cant remember clearly though.
That was Thrain II. Durin III of Moria is mentioned as receiving the chief of the seven rings, after Moria was lost to the Balrog, it's people founded Erebor, so the ring that was taken from Thrain II in Dol Gulder was likely the ring that was given to Durin III. No others that I know of are mentioned by name. Sauron retreived some the rest were consumed by dragons according to the book.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 04:06 AM   #5
greywind
Pile O'Bones

Sting

too bad the dragon did not melt bilbo and the ring as well, away!
Old 01-27-2002, 05:50 AM   #6
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Gandalf said, no dragon could have melted the One Ring.

-Voronwë
Old 01-27-2002, 10:58 AM   #7
greywind
Pile O'Bones

Sting

hm. it seems i have taken the bite of a rotten apple.

it is not quite logical though... the rings of power could only be destroyed by the firm that made them or dragons fire, but the ruling ring where special. it was protected against dragon too.

but then again, many wonderfull things in Ëa where not really reasonable, hence i should not complain.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:00 PM   #8
Manhands69

Sting

Awesome guys, but does anyone know if Sauron had any effects on the Dwarf Lords?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:51 PM   #9
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The dwarven rings were something special. They were made for the same purpose as the Nine; to enslave their wearers to Sauron.
Only dwarves proved a little harder in fading then Men. They didn´t become wraiths but instead became very greedy and it was the rings that made the dwarves create their gold-hoards. They became immensely rich.
Sauron had no power over the dwarves, so he tried to gather back the rings, which he did except for the ones destroyed by the dragons.

I am not sure if all this is correct, I remember to have read it somewhere.

As for the One Ring, Gandalf says no dragon is now alive with the fire hot enough to harm the One Ring, nor was there ever save maybe Ancalagon.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:07 PM   #10
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That pretty much covers it. I wonder if Sauron had redistributed his recovered dwarf rings to other servants. I sort of assumed that the Mouth of Sauron probably had one.

OH MAN - MAJOR EPIPHANY - WHAT IF THE RING SARUMAN WAS WEARING WAS A RECOVERED DWARF RING THAT HE RECEIVED AFTER FALLING UNDER SAURON'S INFLUENCE VIA THE PALANTIR?????? WHOA!

Head spinning with the possibility ...

- Maglor
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:13 PM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
For Dwarves had proved untameable by this means. The only power over them that the Rings wielded was to inflame their hearts with a greed of gold and precious things...But they were made from their beginning of a kind to resist most steadfastly any domination. Though they could be slain or broken, they could not be reduced to shadows enslaved to another will; and for the same reason their lives were not affected by any Ring, to live either longer or shorter because of it.
Durin's Folk, Appendix A, RTK
You got it bang on! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:05 PM   #12
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
OH MAN - MAJOR EPIPHANY - WHAT IF THE RING SARUMAN WAS WEARING WAS A RECOVERED DWARF RING THAT HE RECEIVED AFTER FALLING UNDER SAURON'S INFLUENCE VIA THE PALANTIR?????? WHOA!

Head spinning with the possibility ...
*head actually flying around the room, banging the walls*

But isn't there any confirmation on that he did craft this ring himself? He was very learned in the Ring-Lore, after all...
Old 01-29-2002, 08:44 AM   #13
Cirdan the Shipwright
Haunting Spirit

Cirdan the Shipwright has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All it says is that he was wearing a ring, but nothing else.

- Cirdan
Cirdan the Shipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 12:07 PM   #14
Elenhin
Wight

Elenhin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, Saruman boasts that he is not only Saruman of Many Colours, but Saruman the Ring-maker as well.
Elenhin is offline   Reply With Quote