Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #761
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
The young ranger found her attention being pulled from one halfling to the other; though she never directly looked at the man who had entered. Shady character he was, but she recognized him to be of the Dunedain same as herself, for he wore the same star brooch that was clasped at her own neck. Though this did not cause her to let her guard down, her senses heightened to become more alert than she had been before the Dunadan's entrance.

"A few pieces of buttered toast with perhaps a few slices of bacon, if it's not too much trouble, friend."

Aeron gave the female hobbit a smile, folding her hands in front of her on the countertop. "But I don’t believe it’s good to do anything on an empty stomach.” The young woman chuckled to herself, resisting the urge to shake her head at the hobbit. It was one of the things she found amusing about the halflings; their love for food. Bottomless pits, she called them, though only in jest.

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 01-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #762
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Flame of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Flame of Udûn
He watched as the barman walked up to the bar he considered once again the female Ranger only a very small number of women who became rangers and he had never met one of them he was very curious about her.

'Thank you I am most grateful I've not eaten for days not properly at least my name is Arandon though many of the Rangers have decided to call me Faerandir the Ghostly Wanderer though it is a name I prefer not to use.' In a manner he hoped sounded offhand he added ' tell me what do you know of the female ranger at the bar' he hoped to conceal his curiosity at what even to his eyes (which had seen much) rather piqued his interest.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-10-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #763
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Seredic Boffin

"I don't know a thing about her, actually," Dick said. He turned to look towards Aeron, following the ranger's hooded gaze. "She just came in a few minutes before you. Never seen her before, and I didn't get around to asking her her name. I thought you might know her, as I thought you were one of them rangers, too, but maybe not. I've been wrong before." And he turned an even more suspicious look on the dark figure, if that were possible. If he wasn't a ranger, what was he? Why was he here? Was he dangerous?

"Why do they call you the Ghostly Wanderer? You're not a ghost, are you? You're as firm as the rest of us, surely."

--

Primrose

"A few pieces of buttered toast with perhaps a few slices of bacon, if it's not too much trouble, friend."

"Tis no trouble at all, I assure you," Primrose replied. "It's my job," she added, half under her breath as she pattered away to the kitchen. She deftly speared two pieces of bread and put them over the fire to toast. Before coming out to the common room she had finished frying up a frying pan full of bacon, and of this generous stock she drew out four thick and crispy slices and laid them on a plate. She reached across to the toasting fork, plopped the toast onto the plate and buttered the pieces generously.

"Here you are! Hope it is to your liking." She leaned her elbows against the counter while Aeron took the plate and began to eat. For a few seconds, Primose watched her without saying anything. "Mr. Boffin seems to be getting along capitally with yonder fellow. I saw you looking at him a few moments ago. Do you know him?"
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #764
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
After swallowing a mouthful of the deliciously buttered toast, the young female glanced out of the corner of her eye to the dark corner in which the strange man sat, studying him for a few moments once more. She slowly turned her head back to the food before her, taking a small sip of her beer. Eyebrows furrowing, more so with curiosity than frustration at not knowing the man's identity, Aeron looked at Primrose, shaking her head.

"Nay, I do not, which makes him that much more peculiar."

She spoke more quietly now, still trying to focus in on the stranger's conversation with Mr. Boffin. It was not as odd as it seemed though, the young ranger thought quietly to herself, because even she had not met all of the remaining Dunedain, save for the couple she had crossed paths with in the wilderness or grew up around in the Angle. This did not lessen her wariness of the man, however, it made her even more aware and alert; if that were possible.

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 01-08-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #765
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

As the Hobbit spoke he noticed the gaze of the young ranger pass over him and could tell she was wary 'It is always the same whenever anyone meets me' he mused, his ways of acting always put people on their guard but that was how he prefered it he never had any wish for friendship and always found himself happier when alone.

He chuckled at the Hobbits question 'No i can assure you I am no ghost the name comes from a number of things but i suppose my love of solitude is highest amongst them along with my ability to hide myself from all but the keenest eyes when I have need.'

Last edited by Flame of Udûn; 01-09-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #766
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Indeed," Dick said, with a something like a sniff. "We hobbits aren't bad at disappearing when we need to, either. Usually you great big folk are so loud in coming that we can make off in a twinkling. Even if I am an innkeeper and may be better fed than most, I myself am not bad at avoiding people when I wish."

His words were met with another of the ranger's silent pauses. Dick felt he had been rude, and although he wasn't in a very obligatory mood and although he did not happen to like this particular customer very much (his dark appearance and quiet evasiveness put him on edge), he sought immediately to amend it.

“I do hope you find some company in there round abouts that you don’t mind being with. As my grandmum always used to say, ‘Them as sit by themselves in a corner wither away until they die by themselves.’ Why, I once knew a hobbit, Toby Harfoot, by name, who used to go off fishing all by himself. What came of him, no one quite knows, but one day he never came back. Some say a fish pulled him right into the river and he drowned. I say, it would never have happened if he hadn’t stuck around by himself all the time. It’s not healthy for a body, I say. Why don’t you come over and meet the lady ranger?”
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #767
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon mused on the words of the Hobbit before answering
'Solitude is only dangerous for those unable to keep themselves well. Yet there is great wisdom in your mother's words for one cannot spend a lifetime alone and I do, when able return to the encampments of the Grey Company away in the north and it is not only to recieve orders and give information that I go.'
He took a deep breath before continuing 'I think perhaps that my earlier words were somewhat ill considered for it is not that I love solitude but it is more that I choose to be alone for reasons I refuse to divulge.'

The ranger paused once again taking great care to consider his next move, always he was cautious ever wary of what result his actions would have. He once again let his gaze fall upon the ranger at the bar then he spoke aloud his thoughts 'Too often have I allowed caution to govern my movements and though it has kept me well enough it has also led me to miss many an oppertunity. So yes I shall go and meet her for though I have heard tales of female rangers never has chance allowed me to meet one.'
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #768
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ah! Very good, Dick thought, but all he said aloud was, “Come along, then, and I’ll introduce you.” He turned and began to lead the way even before Arandon, of Faerandir, stood up. Half way across the floor he realized he didn’t know the woman’s name. Oh, well, it didn’t matter much.

“Ma’am,” he said, stopping by her elbow and looking up at her. “I’d like to introduce Arandon, sometimes known as Faerandir, the Ghostly Wanderer.” He turned and indicated Arandon with his hand. “Unfortunately, I don’t know your name, so you’ll have to give it yourself.”
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #769
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron gazed up curiously at the mysterious man who had approached her along side the innkeeper. She pushed her finished plate away from her, letting her eyes examine him more closely. His eyes said he was far older than he appeared, he had seen much more of the lands than she had.

"Well met, master Ranger," she hesitated for a moment, still wary of him. "I am Aeron daughter of Daeradan. How fairs your travels?"

Even if he was a suspicious character, that did not stop her from being polite. She began to silently give thanks to the innkeeper, this was a chance to sate her curiosity of his identity, albeit she did not expect too much from him, though.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #770
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon was somewhat uncertain of how to act he was rarely in the company of women and the fact she was a ranger made him even more uncertain.
'Greetings Aeron, my travels go neither well nor ill for I have no specific purpose at this time.'

Arandon paused carefully examining the Ranger, he could tell from her eyes and the smoothness of her skin that she was no more than 30.
'But what brings you here to the edges of the Shire for surely there can be no need of a ranger here.'

Last edited by Flame of Udûn; 01-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #771
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

"I could ask the same of you, master ranger." She gave him a small smile, turning a little on the barstool to face him better.

"Curiosity; no matter what I think of it, it is ever unsatiable."

It would be the death of her one day, no doubt. Aeron was an adventurer and yearned to see the rest of the world one day, if she could. Averting her eyes back to his face, Aeron became rather interested in finding out what had brought him here as well. She knew, however, if she had inquired the reason as to why he was in the Shire, he would never fully give her the reason; or would probably ignore the question all together. She would have done the same had her reason been more urgent.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #772
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

'If you wish not to answer a simple question then please say so and do not play games. I have little to tell, I was summoned from my previous mission away in darker lands than these and given a task that was to take precedence. Yet of this task I am to tell no-one, and I am afraid therefore that on this subject your curiosity must go unsated.'

Presuming the previous matter of conversation closed he decided to move past the trifling question of why she was there (for he knew that guard on the shire was being increased though he had not been informed of Rangers being sent within its borders save himself). Instead he resolved todiscover how it was a woman had come to be a ranger for though not unheard of it was exceedingly rare.

'Let us perhaps talk of things not so shrouded in secrecy (although I shall admit that there is little i do not keep secret) and turn to a subject of which I am greatly interested how does a young women of the Dunedain end up becoming a ranger? You must have had great reason to join as well as great skill with weapons to have chosen such a path.'
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #773
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Dick pretended not to listen to the two rangers' conversation while he puttered about behind the counter. He frowned a little at first, for the conversation was not going quite as well as he hoped. But then when Arandon asked Aeron how she came to be a ranger, a contented look returned to Dick’s face. Not only would he be interested in hearing the response, he also knew that it was a good starter for conversation, provided that she answered it straightforward.

Yet it was not to be. Before Aeron even had a chance to open her mouth to either answer or refuse to give a proper reply, the door burst open and a blast of cold air flowed into the room. Dick looked up, and any cheerful words of welcome and teasing remonstrance for letting the cold in died on his lips. The figure in the doorway made no movement to shut the door, and did not look at all apologetic for the cold he was allowing to rush in unchecked.

“Shut the door, will you?” Dick shouted finally. “What d’ye mean letting in the cold air and letting the warm air out? Do you mean to freeze us all? Make up your mind and come in or stay out.”

“Not a very welcoming reception,” the man grumbled, reaching for the door and shutting it with a bang. “I’d almost think you didn’t want my business.”

Dick looked at the man’s sour expression as he clumped over to the bar. He knew this type. This was a brawling type, and he didn’t like that type at all. “Maybe I don’t want your business.”

The man smirked a crookedly and leaned his elbow down on the counter. He let a coin clatter onto the counter top. “Give me a pot of beer, innkeeper, and make it fast.”

Dick frowned, but obeyed nonetheless. The newcomer turned to look at his neighbors. His eyes flicked past Arandon and settled on Aeron. “Well,” he said, the insolent smile spreading. “If it isn’t a female ranger. I’ll be danged. Caught any villains this last month?” He laughed. Dick set the mug of ale down before him sharply to demonstrate his disapproval, and the man turned to grasp it. “Or have you ever, I should say,” he added half under his breath and brought the flagon to his lips.

Last edited by Folwren; 01-11-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #774
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon saw this stranger enter and despised him from the first moment his eyes laid upon him, he knew all to well this sort and though in a busier place he may have been able to avoid him here he had no such chance. It was obvious from the manner of the hobbit that his distaste for the man was great also.

The man looked past him and spoke, his words bore not the respect that was certainly due to one of the Dunedain and the scorn with which he put upon her sex he could not allow, he spoke calmly but with anger coursing through his veins and seeping through in his words.
'I shall not allow you to speak thus least of all to one who is a protector of you and your kin in Bree for with the people in the north you would be harried by orcs and much else besides I don't doubt. You speak in scorn of someone you and I know not, and why do you do this, simply because she is female?' He could not contain his anger any longer and leaned over the man shouting down at him. 'And yet I say to you that she had shown more bravery and honour by the age of 5 than you will show in your lifetime, the post of a Ranger is not a birthright it must be earned and any with sense will never to actively seek their anger. If your only words are those of poison then hold your tongue else I may see fit to remove it.'

Arandon knew there would likely be a retribution for this and yet he cared not, he had faced many a more terrible foe during his last few years he calmed himself and turned away from the man.

'Now where were we?' he said to Aeron with a smile creeping to the corners of his mouth as he baited the man who had so rudely interrupted them almost hoping he would strike and give him some chance to release an anger that had been with him for many years now.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #775
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron had pulled her cloak around her tighter when the cold air whipped past her. She had watched the dangerous looking man enter into the once warm and cozy Inn, being none to polite to the hobbit innkeeper when ordering his pot of beer. His presence chilled her bones, causing a sour look to cross the once content and warm features of her face. She attempted to keep her focus on the male Dunadan, but found that the newcomer had unsettled her nerves greatly. She brushed off the man's unnecessary comment, and did her best to ignore him. The elder ranger had given the man quite the tongue lashing, and she hoped that it would not cause any unnecessary altercation to arise in the small Inn.

"When mother was with child, my father had hoped for a son, but instead he received me; a daughter." She paused for a moment, glancing down at her near empty mug, debating on whether or not to ask for a refill. Deciding against it, she continued with her tale,"I wanted to give my father the son he never had, which is why I became a ranger. There is no greater reason other than wanting to make my father, and my people, proud."

Her grey eyes shifted to gaze out of her peripheral vision, silently wondering if the cantankerous newcomer had any more snide remarks hidden up his sleeve.

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 01-11-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #776
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The reaction of the ranger was admirable. “I will not allow you to speak thus – lease of all to one who is a protector of you and your kin in Bree.” How did he know where he was from? “For with the people in the north, you would have been harried by orcs and much else besides, I don’t doubt.” Ha! Extremely unlikely. Possibly they would deem it necessary to save the innocent people of the north from characters like him, but nobody needed to protect Ibin Grasserby. “You speak in scorn of someone you and I know not, and why do you do this? Simply because she is female? And yet I say to you that she has shown more bravery and honor by the age of five than you will show in your lifetime.” Ibin’s lip curved in a sneer, but the ranger ignored it. “The post of a Ranger is not a birthright, it must be earned and any with sense will never actively seek their anger. If your only words are those of poison, then hold your tongue, else I may see fit to remove it.”

A threat, by gum! Ibin reached under his coat and grasped his knife hilt, but then released it. No, there could be some fun here, and it wouldn’t do to kill anybody. Not when there were two of them, anyhow. He didn’t count the hobbits. He would hold his tongue and his patience for now and see if this ranger actually backed up his high and mighty words with deeds.

But instead of seeing if his challenge were answered, the ranger turned his back on Ibin and returned his attention to the woman. Ibin’s eyes stretched with disbelief. He was actually going to leave it at that? Expect Ibin to let it rest, did he?

“Now where were we?” the ranger asked the woman.

Ibin looked at her. Surely she wouldn’t answer. Surely she would know there was a fight brewing, and would seek to escape it, like most women would.

But she did. She provided them with a sad tale of mother and father wanting a boy and getting a girl instead. “I wanted to give my father the son he never had, which is why I became a ranger. There is no greater reason other than wanting to make my father, and my people, proud."

“Ha!” Ibin scoffed from behind Arandon. “I imagine he would have been prouder if his daughter had stayed in her place in the kitchen, rather than shaming him by taking the position of a man. I would have you know that most men don’t respect women who go traipsing about the countryside, endangering their honor and their reputation by pretending to be other than they really are.”
Old 01-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #777
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon listened to the tale of the young woman ever alert to the actions of the man behind him. He understood her reasons, for his sisters had wished to become Rangers they wished to .

Before he could spend do long in his memories the man once again piped up making another snide comment and Arandon turned his rage was uncontainable, but he did not draw his sword.

His tirade began calmly enough before rising to a crescendo where the full extent of his rage was sent upon the man as the waves of the see will crash upon the shore in a strorm. 'What do you know of life in the northern lands where the westernmost tendrils of Saurons forces come. None who live in the scattered settlements that are left within the once proud kingdom of Arnor are able to simply stay in the kitchen their lives become more important than honour. All must fight and many must die, as I know better than most.' His wrath cooled as the image of his sisters came back to his mind.

They had been wandering in the lands north of the Emyn Uial Arandon had been in the process of teaching them about the various herbs that they could find and make use of when a party of 15 orcs attacked them. He called his sisters to him and they fought the orcs off for a while but a wedge drove tem apart and both his sisters were killed, and the orcs joined them not long after.

He spoke again his voice a barely audible whisper 'It matters not whether they wish to become a Ranger or not the women who live in the north cannot live in the simple way you do. Does that mean they have no honour, that their reputations lie in tatters, perhaps it is so, but at least they shall be alive.'

Arandon did not turn this time, instead he stared straight into the eyes of the man with an intensity that few would have been able to withstand and he waited, ready to pull his sword should the need arise.

Last edited by Flame of Udûn; 01-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #778
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron frowned deeply at the rude, outspoken man behind Arandon. Sad, her tale may have seemed to some, but it was one she was not seeking to receive any pity or sympathy from...or any unnecessary comments, for that matter. Aeron, though, was one who was not quick to anger, but she could not ignore this man any longer. She listened to Arandon, watching him while he stared at the man in behind him. She could not keep quiet though, for this time, she had something to say to the man.

"I would have you know, sir, that I could care less what men think of me and my lifestyle nor do I care if I've earned their respect." The man would have to accept and respect her for what she is before she reciprocates the same to him.

She scoffed at the man, clasping her hands in front of her once more. "I imagine he would have been prouder if his daughter had stayed in her place in the kitchen, rather than shaming him by taking the position of a man."

"A woman has just as much a right to fight and protect those she cares for as a man does. Some do not relish the fact of being caged like beasts doing cooking, sewing and other daily household duties," Aeron paused, turning fully to look at him, her head held high in defiance. "My father is not ashamed of me and what I do, he is proud of my dedication and honour to my people. I have shown the equivalent courage and valor to the Dunedain that a male Dunadan has, can you say the same for your kindred?"
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #779
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ibin heard Arandon out without saying a word. He returned the ranger’s gaze with narrowed eyes and a crooked smile. He prepared to answer when Aeron began speaking, and he stopped again to hear what she said.

"My father is not ashamed of me and what I do, he is proud of my dedication and honour to my people. I have shown the equivalent courage and valor to the Dunedain that a male Dunadan has, can you say the same for your kindred?"

“Are you implying something about my courage, girl?” he asked, his voice very quiet.

“See here!” Dick piped up from behind the counter, “I think things have gone on quite long enough!” Really, he had thought that for some minutes now, but had not been able to find his voice, or even find a place where his voice might be heard. But now that he started talking, he found more courage to continue. “You’ll either go sit down somewhere else or leave this place altogether.”

Ibin never shifted his gaze from the two rangers. His lips curled in a laugh before he slowly stood up and, taking his pot of beer, he turned and sauntered off to one of the tables near the fire.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #780
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon heard the hobbits words and suddenly realised how foolish he had been allowing his emotions to run away with him like that, he knew he must take some time to calm down. he began to move towards the door before turning 'please accept my humblest apologies master hobbit I did not mean to cause such problems for I was at fault as much as the man who riled me, I will take a few minutes to calm down outside.'

With that he pulled his hood up and wrapped his cloak tightly round his chest and walked out the door. He had intended once outside to go for a walk in an effort to clear his head yet now here it took all his strength to get around the corner into the stable where he slumped down and sat a while unable to get the image of his sisters dead bodies out of his mind.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #781
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron did not take her eyes off of the man until he was seated at a table and away from the bar. She turned back around, her eyes now watching Arandon walk out of the warm Inn and into the cold November air outside. Aeron chose to remain where she was at, having not been as riled as the male Dunadan. She looked at Dick, offering him an apologetic smile.

"I too am sorry for adding to the trouble that was beginning to brew inside your peaceful Inn."

Aeron rested her forearms on top of the bar, her body relaxing for the time being. She truly was glad the small verbal altercation did not turn out to be a physical one.

"If there is anything you bid me to do, I will."

Aeron had, as she stated, added to the slowly growing chaos and felt she owed the halfling that much.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #782
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

“Please accept my humblest apologies, master hobbit, I did not mean to cause such problems for I was at fault as much as the man who riled me. I will take a few minutes to calm down outside.”

Dick nodded curtly to Arandon, though he did not hold him at fault at all. His eyes reverted back towards Ibin and the scowl did not leave his face as he made certain that the man wouldn’t try anything further now that Arandon had gone back outside. ‘I can always call him back in again,’ Dick told himself. ‘I don’t think he’s going far.’

“I, too, am sorry for adding to the trouble that was beginning to brew inside your peaceful inn,” Aeron said..

Dick’s attention snapped to her, and then his expression softened. “Don’t be, my dear, it wasn’t your fault at all. That scurvy scallywag was insulting your honor, and there wasn’t much you could do to help that, was there? You can’t very well change yourself into a man. People have no respect now adays.”

Aeron did not look completely convinced. “If there is anything you bid me to do, I will,” she offered.

“I don’t think there is anything that you could do for me, but thank you for the offer. I will remember it.” He turned away, and then paused and turned back again. “I say - did you say you have been wandering the Shire area for long? Or are you just recently visiting?”
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #783
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron had already been watching his retreating form, smiling at his warm reassuring words. When he paused to turn back around and look at her, her eyebrows jutted upwards in curiosity.

"Just recently visiting, I thought I might do a bit of traveling whilst I'm here before I return back to my duties in the wild."

Though, truth be told, the arrival of another Ranger in the Shire had piqued her interest enough to want to do more than just go sight-seeing inside the borders of the Shire. It had, in fact, began to make her wonder if the dear hobbits here were in any sort of danger. Aeron quickly pushed that dark thought to the back of her mind, still watching the innkeeper with intrigued eyes.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #784
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

"Well," Dick said slowly, walking back to her with reluctant steps, as though uncertain or unwilling to say what he was about to say. "I asked, because...well...as you are just visiting, I doubt you'd know anything about it."

Aeron had that look on her face that said, 'Try me.' So Dick did. He leaned his elbows on the table and leaned closer to her.

"Some weeks ago, our cook disapeared without a trace. The only thing we could figure out was that the night before she left, she had received a letter. But althogh we sent people after the letter carrier to ask him if he knew where the letter came from or what it contained, we got no news that could help us. We searched for a while and did our best at finding her, but even all the guests at the inn who were Big People and even an elf or two couldn't find her. I was wondering...hoping...that if you'd been in the Shire long, perhaps you'd heard of her."
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #785
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron began to study the hobbit closer when he drew nearer to her,"A missing cook?" So, there was suspicious activity happening inside the borders of the Shire. This was the first Aeron had heard of a missing cook, but maybe someone else whom she was recently acquainted with had more information.

"Nay, my dear hobbit, I have not heard of her, but..."

Aeron paused, her eyes shifting towards the front, round door to the Inn.

"Perhaps this is why the master ranger is here, and if it isn't, then his secretive business could very well tie into her disappearance."

She whispered, leaning down nearer to the hobbit. "Tell me, no one witnessed her leaving? No neighboring hobbits?" Surely someone had seen her leaving; in what direction she left in.

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 01-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #786
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

“No! No, she left without a trace. None of us saw her go, and none of us have seen her since. Sure, lots of people talked about it – it was the biggest thing that had happened here since the ruffians were running all over the place – but no one saw a thing. It’s like she vanished,” he snapped his fingers, “into thin air.”

He tilted his head sideways. “Of course, she didn’t, really. There’s too much of her to vanish into thin air. But it’s sure as certain that she isn’t here anymore, and she wasn’t seen after that morning.

“So, if you haven’t been in the Shire, do you think your ranger friend, The Ghostly Wandere, has seen aught of her?”
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #787
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

She gazed in the direction of the Inn's door for a moment, before turning to look at the innkeeper once more.

"There are many different people Rangers encounter on their journeys, but surely if he has seen this hobbit and she was with any suspicious characters..."

Her voice trailed off for a moment, she scrubbed the side of her tired face in thought.

"We will just have to ask him when he returns inside, I suppose."
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #788
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Hamwill enters, walking very slowly. He does not seem to notice the people in the inn, and takes a seat in the nearest corner, setting down a large tome on the table. He opens it to a short way in, then pats his pockets.

He looks up, and a startled expression crosses his face, then relief. Almost silently, as if to avoid disturbing some sleeping beast, he says "Would anybody happen to have something to write with?"

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #789
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon sat for some time remembering the pains of his past. He soon became aware of a person moving towards the in and saw a man carrying a large book, Arandon was intrigued by this since he appeared to have travelled much and yet bore no weapon, a curious thing for a traveller especially as the power of the enemy grows in the east.
Arandon walked back to the inn following the traveller silently, watching him closely then he waited a few moments after the man entered bofore going in again himself. He walked up to the bar again casting a quick glance at the man who had so riled him earlier. then he focused his attention upon the hobbit and made another apology for his earlier behaivior, 'Please once again accept my appologies master hobbit, I should have held my temper better yet the mood has past thankfully and I should hope that nought more will rile me for I do not wish to cause any trouble here.'
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #790
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Penny

Penny’s eyes were big as saucers at the goings-on in the common room. She watched as the Big Folk drew apart from each other – one to a table by the fire, one to step outside, the last keeping put at the bar. The toast she’d spread thick with blackberry jam now lay forgotten for the moment on her plate.

Leaning forward as to be nearer the elder Hobbit, she whispered as quietly as she could. “Are there always so many of the Big Folk hereabouts?” She picked up a piece of bacon and munched on it, absent-mindedly. “And are they always so . . . so, well, cranky and out of sorts?” She waved the crisp bacon at the gaffer, drawing back a bit, her voice going back to a more normal level..

“Comes from not keeping your tummy full, my gran would say. Twists you up inside if your insides don’t have something to work on.” She nodded her head, remembering her gran had firm opinions on just about everything.

Penny looked over toward the Big Folk still remaining in the room. She took another bite of bacon and mumbled around the crumbly bits. “Personally, I think it’s those boots they wear! Can you imagine walking about with feet all smunched in and your toes all pushed together?”

From a table nearby, one in the corner, she heard a voice. Another of the Big Folk, his question hanging in the air. "Would anybody happen to have something to write with?"

Penny excused herself and drew closer to the man. “Well, ummm, sir,” she said, standing out of arms’ reach. “It’s not much, but it works fine for making lists and such.” She fished about in her skirt pocket and drew out a stick of hard charcoal, most of it wrapped in yarn, its end ground somewhat to a point. ‘Can you use it?’ She held it out tentatively.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #791
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Hamwill smiled. "Yes I can, milady. Thank you very much." With that, he returned to the book and began writing quickly, pausing every so often and staring at his work.

After a while he stopped and closed the book with a thump, looking around for the hobbit-maid who gave him the pencil. He did this vigorously for a moment, then found her and stood up, seeming uncertain. He was interrupted by the hobbit entering the room, and stopped to see what his intent might be.

Last edited by Bom Tombadillo; 02-12-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #792
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Alferad strutted to the door with a haughty air, grinning widely. He did this every time he went to the local tavern – after all, his family was relatively well off, and he never forgot to display this importance to other hobbits. He came into the Common Room, and began a greeting.

“Good day to y…” His voice faltered; the speech that he carefully planned out beforehand came to an abrupt end. His broad smile faded into a look of confusion. Every pair of eyes in the room swung to him. Al was feeling more than a little uncomfortable. The guests of the inn were not only hobbits, which shocked him. There were a few of the Big Folk. Al wasn’t used to them: he’d only seen a man once in his life, and it was long enough ago to make the impression wear off.

He cleared his throat. “Er, I mean, good day to you, sirs and ladies!” he said, recovering from his first surprise and trying to cover his confusion. The guests turned their attention to their conversations again. He looked around. In a corner, he saw a man sitting with a huge tome in his lap who was also looking around. What a queer man, he thought. Al’s curiosity got the better of his apprehension of men, so he steered himself toward the stranger, at the same time calling for a mug of beer.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #793
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

“Please once again accept my apologies, master hobbit. I should have held my temper better. Yet the mood has passed, thankfully, and I should hope that naught more will rile me, for I do not wish to cause any trouble here.”

Dick listened seriously to the ranger's repeated expression of regret and then he shook his head. “Bad business, sir, it was bad business. But it wasn’t your fault. No, indeed, you mustn’t blame yourself. You were only defending the lady’s honor, and that’s how it ought to be. Yes, as my grandmum always says-”

But what his grandmum always said, Arandon never found out, for at that moment, another man entered. He was another one who, like Arandon, said nothing to anybody when he entered. Instead, he made for the nearest seat (better than the nearest corner, Dick thought) and pulled out a book, and then called for something with which to write. Dick glanced around and saw another customer, a hobbit customer, get up and answer the request. Well, that was good. Dick only had one pen and he didn’t much feel like lending it out.

“As I was going to say, don’t worry about it at all. What’s done is done and no ill has come of it. Oh, look, another customer.” This said half to himself. Thank goodness it was a hobbit and not another big person.

“Good day to y-” the new customer began in a bold sort of voice. Arandon swiveled about and looked. Aeron also turned her head. The new hobbit’s confidence wavered, Dick could see it. He raised his eyebrow expectantly. “I mean, good day to you, sirs and ladies!” A momentary, awkward pause, and then Arandon and Aeron turned back to the counter, Dick refilled their mugs of ale, and the other customers went on with their breakfasts.

“A mug of beer if you will!” called the new hobbit. Dick looked quickly in his direction. He wasn’t even looking towards him or the bar, but rather going towards the man latest come.

“Hmph. One of those customers,” Dick said to himself. What exactly he meant was unclear even to himself, but he didn’t much like it when customers were too preoccupied to talk to him squarely. He filled the mug and carried it to the hobbit. “Seredic Boffin, Innkeeper, at your service,” he said, placing the ale before him. “If there is anything else you need, please let me know. And you, sir,” to the man, “is there anything I can get for you, sir?”

Last edited by Folwren; 02-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #794
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Arandon was only half listening to what the hobbit was saying since he knew what would be said and he was lost in thought when a young hobbit strode in and began to speak causing Arandon to turn and look at the hobbit who faltered, and seemed rather uncertain of what to make of the collection of people that were now assembled in the inn. This hobbit eventually gathered himself and spoke clearly but his voice was not filled with confidence.

Arandon turned away again from the hobbit who was rather uninteresting compared to the others in the Inn and he turned his attention back to Aeron and asked 'so where have you travelled to during your time as a Ranger?'

Last edited by Flame of Udûn; 02-13-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #795
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Al came over to the table the man with the tome was occupying and sat opposite him. Very soon the innkeeper brought him the beer he had asked for. “The service here is fast, I see,” Al thought approvingly, “almost as good as in the tavern back in Brandy Hall.”

“Seredic Boffin, Innkeeper, at your service,” the hobbit who brought the mug introduced himself. “If there is anything else you need, please let me know,” he added. Although his voice was cheerful, Al noted that it wasn’t very enthusiastic, even slightly annoyed. The innkeeper also asked the man if he wanted anything.

Before the man could reply, Al butted in.
“Good morrow, Master Boffin!” after all, the morning wasn’t that bad; “Alferad Brandybuck at your service! It is an honour for me to be drinking the most bestest beer in the Farthing in your wonderful inn!” That wasn’t exactly true, for Al did not drink the beer yet; “And even a greater honour to do it with you, Master Boffin!” Or, rather, his honour to be sitting with me, Al thought: you don’t meet a hobbit like me every day!

Al paused for a moment, basking smugly in his self-importance. He opened his mouth to continue complimenting his future stay, when the man with the book cut him off. “If my muther heard him now, o will she be angry about him interrupting!” Al thought. He then recalled that the reason he was here was to get away from his ‘muther’, so he let the matter drop and listened patiently to what the man had to say.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #796
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Hamwill nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, thank you. A mug of beer would be nice . . . and possibly something to eat? Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you return this?" he said, holding out the makeshift pencil.

He turned his gaze to the hobbit sitting at the opposite end of the table. "By the by, did you say that your name was Brandybuck? Of Brandy Hall?"
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #797
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Aeron watched Dick walk over to serve one of the newer patrons that had entered the Inn. One, a man who carried a tome with him on his travels; and a lofty hobbit who seemed to lose his nerve upon entering the occupied Inn. Both characters seemed interesting enough to the young ranger. When Dick made his way back to the counter to retrieve the man's request, Aeron looked down into her own empty mug of beer, sighing.

"When you've finished with the newcomer's request, master hobbit, may I please have a refill? and possibly bring the master ranger here a pot of beer as well?"

"So where have you traveled to during your time as a Ranger?" Aeron's head turned in the direction of the seasoned ranger by her side, resting her forearms on the clean counter.

"I've been no further than the wilderness of the North Downs, the Fields of Fornost to be more precise, and no further than the cold climates of Caradhras in Hithaeglir." She paused for a moment before continuing,"and what of your travels? How far have you traveled to perform the duties of the Dunedain?"
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #798
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

"Yes, thank you. A mug of beer would be nice . . . and possibly something to eat?” the man asked Mr. Boffin, “Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you return this?” Well, just as I expected, thought Al; To interrupt my greeting to this admirable goodhobbit innkeeper over here – for such unimportant matters! Cabbages and potatoes! Now I can see what muther meant about the Big Folk – the bigger you grow, the less sense remains in them! Mr. Boffin nodded and went away to do the man’s request.

Al was carefully arranging his face into a faint sneer, when the man’s voice jerked his attention back to him. "By the by, did you say that your name was Brandybuck? Of Brandy Hall?" What a question! What a silly man!

Al was about to answer haughtily when he remembered that he’s talking to a man almost double his size. He tried to make his voice polite, but some annoyance still seeped in. “Alferad Brandybuck, good sir. But I never said anything about Brandy Hall.” Al considered making up a story that he traveled from Hobbiton, but thought better of it. “I am indeed from Brandy Hall, though. If I may ask in turn, what is your name, and where are you from?”

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-14-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #799
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

"Thank you a beer would be wonderful, and please could I have some food brought?"

Arandon nodded as he listened to her talk of the places she had been he nodded as she spoke of areas he knew well enough, he had spent many years wandering in Eriador especially around the misty mountains.

"I have travelled throughout most of middle earth west of the lonely mountain and north of Harad. Though most of my travels have been north of Rivendell in Rhudaur and the Misty Mountains and occasionally I have been further north than that but not often thankfully."

Last edited by Flame of Udûn; 02-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #800
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Her eyes sparkled in curiosity, especially at the mention of Haradwaith. Aeron was focusing her full attention on the elder Ranger at this point, enthralled by the sounds of foriegn lands. She dreamed of one day traveling as far as this experienced Ranger has; bringing back tales and memories of adventure in distant lands.

"North of Rivendell? You've journeyed into the Ettenmoors, then?"

It was a cold land and litte known to any save for the trolls that lurked there. It was a land her father forbade her to travel to due to it being so dangerous. Aeron was studying the Ranger's face intently, awaiting an answer. There was much this Ranger knew, and many flights he had taken. Aeron was intrigued by him, to say the least, and she wanted to hear anything he had to say.