The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting Chris Thile

I just thought I'd let everyone know that the band Nickle Creek rocks and their mandolin player Chris Thiles is a big Tolkien fan!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Yes, their song title "House of Tom Bombadil" is what prompted me to get their CD. Wonderful band with cool tastes in literature!
Old 05-04-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Did somebody say Tom Bombadil?!? That's very cool that Nickle Creek wrote a song about ol' Tom! What genre of music is it? I might be interested, although this is the first time that I've heard of a band called Nickle Creek.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Nickel Creek is Bluegrass. I typically don't care for such rustic tunes, but NC is a 'modern' version of the genre that I find very nice to listen to. I recommend 'Reasons Why' and 'When You Come Back Down'. Watch out! Quiet, melodic music. Don't look for fuzzy feedback.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:13 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I certainly would never have looked twice at a bluegrass album, but was given the Nickel Creek CD for Christmas. It is my very favorite, most-played CD since then - I love the instrumentals, like House of Tom Bombadil, and really like the songs as well. The two you mention, B-W, are my favorites as well; I also like "The Lighthouse's Tale" - sad and beautiful... The group does great harmony singing; I'm picky, and this is quality music at its finest!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:25 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

One of Chris Thile's solo albums is titled "Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost". [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Nickel Creek is my favorite band, especially since they like Tolkien. Were there any Tolkien references on their newest CD, "This Side"?