The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Frodo S. Baggings Esquire

Ring haldir or legolas?

ok peeps, who do you prefer? haldir or legolas? i prefer haldir myslef. adn glorfindel over arwen. oh and i'm not exactly a newbie...been here a long time...but ya know, things happen!!! but you can still welcome me anywayz! lol, hasta! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo S. Baggings Esquire ]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I can't decide... because the oned you mentioned are all some of my favorite characters. Legolas, Haldir, Glorfindel, Elrond, and of course Halbarad but you didn't mention him. And Ioreth. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 PM   #3

Sting

wait wait, i also like Alalminore, Eriol, Androg and Aldarion. man, i like A-names huh? lol! ever read the unfinished tales? i'm still trying to get through the lost ones. they are really confuzzling. too many names!!! mand, tolkien was a sure genious! =)
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 PM   #4
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bah, Elves. Gimme Men. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Between Haldir and Legolas? I'd take Haldir, mostly because I find him more attractive than Legolas and less of a "pretty-boy".
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

yeah, I am also still in Lost Tales. I like em! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't really like how some people consider Legolas a 'pretty-boy'. Legolas himself is a warrior, a skilled and trained warrior. Just because he has a trail of fangirls does not make him a pretty boy. I prefer Legolas to Haldir, because he is more developed. However, Lorien Elves are my favourite Elves, so I prefer Haldir in that way. I can't choose. But one thing is for sure, Legolas is no 'pretty-boy'.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
I like both Legolas and Haldir equally, but I do prefer Glorfindel to Arwen.

Yeah! I'm a wight! lol sorry [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:36 PM   #8
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'd take Haldir, mostly because I find him more attractive than Legolas and less of a "pretty-boy".
You've stumbled into the wrong forum, I believe. There's a forum specifically for discussion of the movies. As far as the book goes, you can imagine Haldir and Legolas as being as attractive as you want them to be, keeping in mind that elves are attractive. The books do not describe Legolas as a 'pretty boy' at all. Someone drew a picture depicting him as such - the picture angered Tolkien. Christopher Tolkien tells us what he had to say in The Book of Lost Tales II:

Quote:
Long afterwards my father would write, in a wrathful comment on a 'pretty' or 'ladylike' pictorial rendering of Legolas:
'He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgul, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.'
Old 03-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #9
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I'd also like to state it plain and clear; the Legolas portrayed in the movie is NOT Legolas. It's Orlando Bloom in a wig. And although he did an excellent job (in my opinion) portraying Legolas, he is in no way the actual Legolas that Tolkien created. Neither is the man that plays Haldir (I don't know hiw name.) He is just someone's portrayal of Haldir, and not the actual Tolkien created Haldir. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 11:59 PM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Quote:
I'd also like to state it plain and clear; the Legolas portrayed in the movie is NOT Legolas. It's Orlando Bloom in a wig. And although he did an excellent job (in my opinion) portraying Legolas, he is in no way the actual Legolas that Tolkien created. Neither is the man that plays Haldir (I don't know hiw name.) He is just someone's portrayal of Haldir, and not the actual Tolkien created Haldir.
His name is Craig Parker (Haldir). And i find your comment thorough and true. Thats the only problem with the movies i beleive. Producing Tolkien's characters with actors will never draw close to what Tolkien had in mind. Even though the actors did a fine job (nothing against the actors) the whole perception of what Tolkien thought isnt there...They are after all actors (taking on the character of another person etc)

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:33 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #12
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
There's a forum specifically for discussion of the movies.
I was assuming, since the original poster had a picture of Craig Parker as Haldir in their post, that they were specifically asking of the movie portrayals. I beg your pardon, but I still stay behind my opinion. I didn't care much for Legolas in the books either.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #13
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Somehow, before I had seen the movies, I just didn't think about Legolas as a character. Same with Gimli. They were just, well, there. If you had asked me this question before I had seen the movies, I would either have said "who's Haldir?" or thought a moment, remembered who he was, and decided I had no opinion on the subject as they were both under- described. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I like both Legolas and Haldir (books and movie) though I have to admit that at first, Haldir kind of scared me. I think the entire aura of the Lorien elves scared me, but it's strange because that same aura is what draws me to them now. I like both Legolas and Haldir the same, and I could never decide on either. The only thing I don't like is how some people judge Legolas as a pretty boy or a conceited elf simply because the actor who plays him in a movie has a following of rabid girls. It's just not fair.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:01 AM   #15
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah same here. but in the film the actor who plays haldir seems to chubby for an elf! does anyone agree with me?! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] This is my Lord of the Rings Webpage! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 10:59 AM   #16
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i also think that haldir in the film looked a bit chubby for an elf, but i still prefer haldir to legolas. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 02:57 PM   #17
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I have always liked Legolas. When I was small I always remembered him always, he seemed to be the one that stood out the most. I dont know why though, It might have been the name!
Old 03-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #18
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
i also think that haldir in the film looked a bit chubby for an elf, but i still prefer haldir to legolas.

HHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHAHAHA

Yeah well from the books I like them both. They are cool, even though there is more stuff (or "book time") on LEgolas. But in the movie: i like Legolas, that might be because there is more about him and stuff. And in real life: They are both really cute and stuff but i like Orlando Bloom better. I mean they are both cute and all but he is cuter.

¿Apestoso de Pollito cuál está para arriba? ¿Qué sucedió tan a su nombre? ¿Cuál está para arriba con ése? ¿Usted ahora tiene gusto tan de Haldir? Eso está fresco.
JIjjijijijijijijijijijijij
Old 03-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #19

Sting

ya know? he did look a bit chubby in the movie...they all did in the second one!!! i mean frofro and sam really were packing on the pounds there! HAHAHAHA, ok, shutting up.
i like haldir [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM   #20
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello! In the books, Legolas is not a pretty boy! Those are just stupid jokes! Anyway, characterwise I like both of them about the same. Maybe Legolas a bit more cause he was in the Fellowship. Both Haldir and Legolas show bravery and loyalty in the books. Moviewise, I dunno. I mean, Legolas isn't all he could be in the movie, Haldir is way more. I'm not dissing Legolas though. He just should have had a better part. Haldir was super awesome in TTT, even though he died and he wasn't supposed to! He did kinda seem a little freaky in FOTR. Lol! Anyway, that's my opinion. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #21
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

I think that I like Haldir better b/c in the movies, I think they made Legolas out o be too much of a pansy; Haldir actually falls in battle in the TT. Does he actually do that in the book though? I need to go check that... but any way, Legolas is very overly idolized by just about every female in the species, so I like Haldir better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #22
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Ummmm you mean you need to read the books right? The elves don't even come to helms deep. They took out the Dunedain (or the rangers) and replaced then with the elves. cept in the first book Haldir does not appear in LOTR agin. So yeah he doesn't die @ Helms Deep. And how is he a "pretty" boy in the books? Elves are supposed to be the butifulest people (or "things") on Middle earth. So yeah.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #23
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Oh yeah Frodo S. Baggings Esquire (hahah you got it wrong) Sorry for calling you stink of Chicken. JIjijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijij
Old 03-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #24
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

hey hey!! no, Haldir doesn't die in the book...his character just wasn't that developed in the movie, so they could kill him off no prob. but yeah, he is my fav character too. legolas is chickish for me. one question....is he like royalty (haldir) or just like a guard of lorien???
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 AM   #25
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

Ring

nalgada! Como estas? Jijijijijijij so whats up with you? Ummm he is just a gard, no roalty there, lo siento. lol well talk to ya all later!!! Adios!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:25 AM   #26
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas.
I haven't read the book (yet) *feels really ashamed* and, because Legolas is one of the main characters, I know him better than Haldir. That's why I prefer Legolas, I think. He's so cool. And I'm not a fangirl and I'm NOT going to say he's a pretty boy! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 05:52 AM   #27
Hell

Silmaril

LEGOLAS!!!!!
Mmmmmmm Yummy *Cleans up drool*
Legolas is my favourite character in the hole movie!!!I tried to read the book but i find it boring!!!I'm still in the first book dose it get better????

OLANDO BLOOM IS SOOOOOO HOT!!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #28
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

i like both of them...at first i like legolas but then i came to appreciate both legolas AND Haldir, lol! tata!
Old 03-23-2003, 01:19 AM   #29
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
I tried to read the book but i find it boring!!!I'm still in the first book dose it get better????
If you found the first one boring, you'll have problems getting through the second (in my opinion, the second is far slower than the first). But it's all highly well-written and even if you find it "boring", the third book is well worth the "effort" of reading them all.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:08 AM   #30
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

Haldir is pretty cool, but I personally like Legolas much better. (No it's not 'cause of Orlando Bloom... LOTR is the first time I've ever saw a movie with him in it.) I didn't appreciate however, how for the movie they cut out a lot of his humor (he doesn't sing in the movie either). Also... drives me crazy about how so many people call him a pretty boy. He's an ELF!!! He's supposed to be good looking! Also, I've noticed that people tend to downplay his archery skills... The book Legolas definately had alot more depth to him... but they did a pretty good job in my opinion.

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:05 AM   #31
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
I tried to read the book but i find it boring!!!I'm still in the first book dose it get better????
There are complaints of the book being very slow moving, but it's worth the wait by far! I also like to think of the books as filled with rich detail, rather than slow moving. But if you are interested in LotR only because you find Orlando Bloom hot, I wouldn't reccommend reading the books. It does take a long time to read the books, and if you don't have a real appreciation for Tolkien then it's just not worth it.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #32
Yavanna
Newly Deceased

Yavanna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yavanna
Sting

In the movies, I liked Legolas better because you got to see more of him and I've always liked him from the books.

In the books, I like Haldir better because... I don't know. I just thought he was so cool in the books. But, yeah, he did look kind of chubby in the movie...
Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:30 PM   #33
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Elrowen Greenleaf I agree with you. If people are saying that he is a pretty boy, well they got it right, he is supposed to be. lol. Yeah the book leggy is so much cool than they made him out to be in the movie, they messed up a lot of different characters (ie Farimir)
Old 03-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #34
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One almost wants to like Haldir better simply because of the way he was abused in the movie TTT but I do like him best both in the books and the movies, although I agree with all those who said he was a mite chubby.
Edit: Upon re-reading this post I realized it was a truly amazing run-on sentence. Sorry!

[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: Haelothiel ]
Old 03-28-2003, 07:21 AM   #35
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

haldir [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 11:53 PM   #36
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like Legolas better (thanx orlando bloom!!!) because of his asthetic qualities and because of his horse riding skills and archery skills. But in the books Haldir was so much cooler and friendly, plus in the TTT movie, it doesnt help that he dies.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #37
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir is soo kool! Definetly Haldir. He defines cool. And it was so incredibly sad in TTT when he died. I couldn't believe what I saw!
Old 03-31-2003, 01:59 PM   #38
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

I don't mean that he is a "pretty" boy, b/c yu are right, harlindon, he is supposed to be beautiful and elegant. But they make him out to be a pansy boy, b/c he doesn't do any of the things in the movie that he does in the book, and b/c his character has become idolized by girls( and women). I had no intention of down-playing the beauty of elves.
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:06 PM   #39
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Haldir, in my opinion, is a lot like the older version of Legolas.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:47 PM   #40
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Since first reading the books, I have always been drawn to the Silvan elves and always really liked Legolas. It gave us a view of elves apart from Elrond and Galadriel who seemed too wise and noble to be very approachable. Haldir was a very small part in the books. So I would have to pick Legolas.

In the movies although I cried when they killed Haldir, I would still pick Legolas.

GLORFINDEL, GLORFINDEL, GLORFINDEL...
How dare they give his part to Arwen. Although I doubt they could have found an actor that would have lived up to my idea of what he looked like from the description in the books.

Gosh I have to go have a cold drink before I swoon thinking about all these beautiful elves. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]