The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe An Unlikely Theory: Blue Wizards as Tom and Golberry

While there's certainly nothing in Tolkien's work to support this theory, it's an entertaining one, I think. What if the Blue Wizards never were lost in the East, as Tolkien surmised (he never gave a definite answer on their fates, only guessed that they might've gone east and started magic cults)...

What if, instead, they "went native" (surely Radagast sets a precedent for the potential for Istari to fall in love with the wild and eschew the Free Peoples).

What if Tom Bambadil and Goldberry are indeed Alatar and Pallando gone native to the point of possibly having "forgotten" their Istari identities (which were only nom de plumes taken on when entering Middle-earth, to begin with...)

Last edited by Sardy; 04-06-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Sardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Whoa slow down there........

Tom was there from the very beginning, he came to Middle-earth before all other things, he was The First. The Istari appeared in Middle-Earth around the year 1000 of The Third Age.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Well, if your speaking seriously, um, no, because evidence does not go well with that idea. However, you could write a short fiction essay about that (Like Tom is Saurons finger, TOm is the Witch King, for example some good ones)

EDIT FOR TANGENT: Is there a thread where Downers could post fiction ideas about Tom Bombadil? And not just two liners, but a few paragraphs? I dont think there are, but that would be cool....
________
CHANG'AN FORD MAZDA ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
deal_with_it
Animated Skeleton

deal_with_it has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy
While there's certainly nothing in Tolkien's work to support this theory, it's an entertaining one, I think. What if the Blue Wizards never were lost in the East, as Tolkien surmised (he never gave a definite answer on their fates, only guessed that they might've gone east and started magic cults)...

What if, instead, they "went native" (surely Radagast sets a precedent for the potential for Istari to fall in love with the wild and eschew the Free Peoples).

What if Tom Bambadil and Goldberry are indeed Alatar and Pallando gone native to the point of possibly having "forgotten" their Istari identities (which were only nom de plumes taken on when entering Middle-earth, to begin with...)
Well Goldberry actually had a mother, the River Woman,that Tolkien mentions. Unless the Blues Brothers brought Mom along, I doubt its possible
deal_with_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Saruman and the Blue Wizards ventured into the east, and Alatar and Pallando never returned. Gandalf's remarks about Bombadil imply a long-standing relationship and knowledge of Tom.

Gandalf refuses possession of the Ring in order to avoid its corruptive power; Saruman is obsessed with it, and tries to make his own. These two, whom I presume to be 'upper scale' Maiar, are affected by the Ring, so one would expect Alatar and Pallando to be affected as well. Tom is not affected by it.

If you're interested, Tolkien did offer some speculation about the fate of the Blue Wizards. I've compiled those writings here in our Middle-earth FAQ.

Last edited by Legolas; 04-07-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Thalion
Haunting Spirit

Thalion has just left Hobbiton.
If Tom and Goldberry were the blue wizards, why didn't Galdalf say this? He certinaly would recognize and know someone of his own order!

..plus they would have come to the White Council as other members of the Istari...