The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #2241
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
welcome Diamond Norht took! enjoy yourself among us here on the downs
Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #2242
Diamond North Took

thx for the welcome and i think i wil enjoy myself now that you all have welcomed me here bye greets Di
Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 AM   #2243
pippy

well Howdy do. I am new here the name's Pippy ^_^ Call me Pip, Pippy. Pippyness, Pipsie or Pipeh you can choose. I am not picky. my friend gave me the link to this site. Celebmornie is her name ^_^ She gave me a link to this place so you can thank her for my insanefulness

Last edited by pippy; 10-26-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #2244
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Hi Pipling! Welcome to death! It's a beautiful thing!

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-24-2006 at 09:47 AM. Reason: chat
JennyHallu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #2245
pippy

welcome to death?
Real nice subject
Thankyee for the welcomeage
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #2246
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Greetings Pippy, I hope you enjoy your time well here (P.S. Gil and Jenny are just a bit...ummm...well...ya I'll let you use your imagination).
Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #2247
Gil-Galad

welcome Pippy... i hope you enjoy our antics

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-24-2006 at 09:43 AM. Reason: chat
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #2248
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!

I would like to remind all members (especially those who are not newcomers here - you should know better!) to use PMs for chatting. Chat posts will be deleted by a moderator if you don't delete them yourself.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #2249
Raewyn

Ring Hi everybody

Hello to you all.
My name is Sabrina, I'm Italian, from Roma so, please forgive me if my English is not perfect...

I'm more than a movie fan, I'm a "movie nuts", even if I don't follow the up to date fashon. I'm sure fond of Peter Jackson thrilogy. In these last few weeks I also purchased the whole extended editions and I'm devouring them.

But I realized that I'm not as skilled as I "needed" to be in LOTR matter, well... to make the long story short: I'm reading The Lord of the rings in original language and I'm finding it absolutely astonishing...

When I finish work at night - I'm a musician and I perform every evening but sunday - I find myself looking forward to going back home to "open that door" and drown myself into Tolkien's world... It seems perfectly real, a piece of history.
Even if sometimes I cannot understand some terms, most of all the ones dealing with nature description, his powerful narrative strenght overcomes my lack of terms... and straight reaches my heart, my human ability of "making " images from reading... and I suddenly find myself inside the book, inside the story...

I think he's not only a writer... he's a painter... with a few brush touches he makes me imagining a whole world...
Forgive my "overlined" enthusiasm. I'm sure that some or many of you, skilled in Tolkien's matter, could find my say a bit silly, but to me, this is a new world and it's incredible the range of emotion I feel while reading it...

A little piece of news: last evening, while I was on my break, I was outside smoking a cigarette and met a usual customer from England who lives in the countryside. We started talking about Tolkien and he told me that when he was 17, (now he's 55sh) his family was short of money, so they rented rooms and once Tolkien's grand daughter stayed in his house for a while , and she was so nice to present him with "The hobbit" autographed by Tolkien himself!!!!
He still has this precious book in his house and saves it gelously.

Have a great day you all, I'm going back to read...
xxx, Sabry
Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #2250
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Not silly at all! I think most of us have felt that way at one point or another or we wouldn't be here in the first place. Welcome to the Downs, Raewyn! Enjoy being dead!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #2251
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Yes, yes! Welcome, Raewyn! You sound like a wonderful addition to our little online home!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #2252
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Welcome Pippy and Raewyn, enjoy your deaths! (Don't panic, that's a good thing )
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #2253
Melannen

Leaf Hiya

Hello! My name is Melannen. I'm new (doh). I'm trying to get a hang of this forum thing and how to send messages. (This is so cool.)

I'm new to the whole online Tolkien world. I never thought you could talk about books so much. But God, I love doing it. I'm new to the books as well, and my friends can't get me to shut up. Compared to what you guys talk about, my stuff is common knowledge. I love this!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #2254
Raewyn

Silmaril

Hi there and thank you all for welcoming me in such a warm way.
I'm very happy to be just dead and to have heard some sweet chanting chorus just on the left of the mist in Barrow dows... Your voices awaked me from a spellbound sleep and are leading me to the light...
xxx, Sabry

Last edited by Raewyn; 04-21-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #2255
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Melannen, welcome to Tolkien and to the 'Downs! Don't worry about your level of knowledge, there are all levels active here, and the old farts should appreciate fresh viewpoints. The members of this site are really friendly and helpful! PM anybody if you have any questions.

Raewyn, are you sure you need to worry about your English? You have a very poetic turn of phrase...have you thought about joining an RP? Look the RP forums over! You'd be an asset.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #2256
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Greetings and Salutations Raewyn and Melannen, you've come to the right place and I'm sure you'll find your lodgings very comfortable.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #2257
Raewyn

Silmaril Woahoo!!!

Hi JennyHallu and thank you so much...

What you said means that I'm on the right way with my hard work on this beautiful language I try to practice as much as I can (reading, writing, watching dvds in original language, internet and so on)

But I think that to say you really know a language you need to speak, read, write, think, dream and "feel" in this language;
as far as concerning the first 5 things, I can say I'm not that bad at them, but about "feeling" in English... uhmmm I cannot say that, yet...
I think I should spend some time in an English speaking country to start feeling in your amazing language, thus many terms and most of all, sentence and speech constructions would come out automatically and quite perfectly matching what I really feel and want to communicate...
I don't know If I could have really explaned what I mean...

Anyway, thank you very much for what you said, it encourages me and helps me to carry on...

I won't dare to partecipate a RP yet... Also 'cause I've never joined RP even in Italian... give me time, please...ah ah ah

I saw from your signature that you love Loreena too... she's one of my favourite musician... absolutely terrific and very talented.
Have a great day!!!
xxx, Sabry

Last edited by Raewyn; 04-22-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #2258
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Actually, Raewyn, my signature is from a poem by Keats. I didn't know anyone sang it until I made it my signature...

Anyway...Welcome again, and I'm wandering off before the chat skwerl eats me.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #2259
Melannen

Question Now what

Hello and thanks for the welcome to both JennyHallu and Boromir!

This place is huge, and I'm overwhelmed. Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #2260
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to start?
Middle Earth Mirth is a fun place to get started. Its the most informal of the forums and good for beginners, but you'll still have to play your cards right.
In Mirth, the four words you'll here most (apart from "Oh shut up, Hookbill") will be: Gandalf, Uncloaked, Mount, and Zoom.

Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #2261
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oh, Mel, dear, ignore young Hookbill, here. He'll suck you right into Mount Zoom if you aren't careful.

Suggestions depend on what you're interested in. If you like to write, check out the RP forums. The Green Dragon is in the Shire and the Eorling Mead Hall is in Rohan; both are good places to go, but I'm admittedly prejudiced in favor of the Hall. If you're feeling ambitious and argumentative, head to Books. It'll teach you to argue at the level of college research papers if you get the right people up against you. You'll find a lot of laughter in Mirth, basic questions answered in Novices and Newcomers.

Like I said, it's all up to what you feel like doing.

Welcome also to Raewyn. No worries on your English, love, you've got a better grasp of it than most of my native-speaker friends.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #2262
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Or if you don't like Mirthy stuff or RPG's, try you head at Quotable Quotes or the Quiz Room. However, I don't suggest not looking into the Mirth or the RPG forums. Both are always good for a lauhg, brain teasers and just all around fun. Make sure to join in a Werewolf game to try your hand at playing and, once you feel your up to it, mod your own game. Welcome to the Downs Mel!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #2263
Gil-Galad

Ah, welcome Mel and Raewyn, i hope you make yourself at home here among the dead, i haunt mainly the mirth and quiz room though i wander into the newcomers once and awhile. its great to know that we have downers from all over the world
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #2264
Raewyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Actually, Raewyn, my signature is from a poem by Keats. I didn't know anyone sang it until I made it my signature...

Anyway...Welcome again, and I'm wandering off before the chat skwerl eats me.
ooops, I've never realized that "The Stolen Child" is by W.B. Yeats. I've always listened to this poem as a song, sang by Loreena McKennitt.
Thank you so much for telling me and have a great night and chat.

For all the others who want to enjoy this magic poem:

THE STOLEN CHILD
WHERE dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water-rats;
There we've hid our faery vats,
Full of berries
And of reddest stolen chetries.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's morefull of weeping than you
can understand.

Where the wave of moonlight glosses
The dim grey sands with light,
Far off by furthest Rosses
We foot it all the night,
Weaving olden dances,
Mingling hands and mingling glances
Till the moon has taken flight;
To and fro we leap
And chase the frothy bubbles,
While the world is full of troubles
And is anxious in its sleep.
For the world's morefully of weeping than you
can understand.

Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills above Glen-Car,.
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star,
We seek for slumbering trout
And whispering in their ears
Give them unquiet dreams;
Leaning softly out
From ferns that drop their tears
Over the young streams.
To to waters and the wild
For to world's morefully of weeping than you
can understand.

Away with us he's going,
The solemn-eyed:
He'll hear no more the lowing
Of the calves on the warm hillside
Or the kettle on the hob
Sing peace into his breast,
Or see the brown mice bob
Round and round the oatmeal-chest.
For be comes, the human child,
from a world more full of weeping than you.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #2265
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
I won't dare to partecipate a RP yet... Also 'cause I've never joined RP even in Italian... give me time, please...ah ah ah~Raewyn
That's what I said when I first came here. Though I haven't done much recently the 'Downs RPing system is so organized and well set up by it's moderaters it's hard to resist. I hope to get into another one once this busy season is over.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #2266
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome, all ye new members!

(And don't be scared of RPing; it's fun! Although if you're a slow writer like me you might want to make sure you have plenty of time to participate...)
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #2267
winterbaby

Leaf

Hi......Not sure if I'm posting in the right place here, but here I am

I live in the north east of England, Amble, with my Husband Brian and our pet pooch TJ. We live right on the coast but half surrounded by hills and valleys at the same time and the sight of all of this really feels like home to me, and I wouldn't be anywhere else but here. I am origanally Nottingham born, about 50 or 60 miles outside of London and wild horses couldn't get me to go back to live there again, I am home
Hugs.
Tracy
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #2268
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Welcome winterbaby!!

You arrive at a most wonderful time! We're celebrating the Downs' sixth birthday! Now you share a 'Death Day' *giggles*

I hope you enjoy your stay, and join in on the fun! There's lots to be had.

Tara

EDIT: I just took a peek at your public profile, and you share the same birthday as me! December 13! Small world!
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #2269
winterbaby

Cool the world indeed is a small but most truely wonderful a place to be and so I thank you for your most gracious welcome to me May I ask if you will ease my mind of a worry that is begining to grow there? If you can my worry is this *I was reading a thread about problem posts if you will, and I did then begin to think to myself 'do I dare add my postings now' as this thread was read to me as quite strict? There is no other place I would rather visit and be happy to treat with many and have a fun time but at the same time don't want to worry about making sure I am correct.

Hugs.
Tracy x
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #2270
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome to the Downs winterbaby! It's good that you've read the rules, but don't worry too much. We have some lovely mods here and if you do accidentally do something not quite right they'll put you straight. Just have fun!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #2271
winterbaby

Thank you Kath for your advise and lovely welcome. As this is new to me I thought I would go and read up on the rules, try to stick by the guide lines and when I began to read them thats when I started to become weary about my choice to enter a world I've only read about and watched often. Thanks again for keeping me right
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #2272
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

So long as you enter with good intentions you'll be fine And get stuck in! It's the best way to learn.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #2273
Gil-Galad

welcome Winterbaby and enjoy yourself!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #2274
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well met and well come, winterbaby! I hope I see you around. Try everything (discussions, rpgs, werewolf). It's worth it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #2275
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, but not other TLOTR forums.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #2276
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, Rhod! Enjoy your stay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhod the Red

I'm new to this forum, but not other TLOTR forums.
And soon you will notice that this is the best...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #2277
iarheniel

hey guys, good day.

Not new, actually [silly me] i forgot what password and e-mail add i was using for my account. After many months of hibernation, i'm back to barrow-downs.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #2278
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
If I may add, I've started this new account but am not new as such to the forum. I had trouble posting with my last account and could only read stuff.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #2279
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hey Rhod and Iarheniel! Welcome [back]!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #2280
Gil-Galad

welcome iarheniel and Rhod the red, i hear the Buffet here is to die for...literally...