The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
hildenyarvaEru

Sting hobbit afterlife?

in my reading so far, I have discovered that Men and Elves go to the Halls of Mandos when they die. what I have not discovered yet is if hobbits go there, too. does anyone know?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Well, yes we know what happens to them, but no we don't know what happens to them.

We know that Hobbits are little humans with furry feet so they go to Mandos when they die, just like all other men.

What happens when they leave Mandos is anybody's guess.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quite. They go to Mandos, then they leave Mandos. They leave Arda, but then what happens?

Nobody really knows, but some people like to think that they go to a sort of Heaven to be with Eru. I don't know if I exactly accept that idea, but it isn't so bad.

What we know is that they go to Mandos, and then they Leave. After that I suppose it's up to you to suppose about what happens. But while its fun to suppose, keep in mind that what you come up with won't win you any arguments.

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

>>We know that Hobbits are little humans with furry feet so they go to Mandos when they die, just like all other men.

>>What happens when they leave Mandos is anybody's guess.

Thought I might add a quote from Letter 131

Quote:
The Doom (or the Gift) of Men is mortality, freedom from the circles of the world. Since the point of view of the whole cycle is the Elvish, mortality is not explained mythically: it is a mystery of God of which no more is known than that 'what God has purposed for Men is hidden': a grief and an envy to the immortal Elves.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:11 AM   #5
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Men leave Ea, that's all we know. I believe in a kind of heaven-like existence, but then I don't believe in the stereotypical heaven... I don't mean a big white room full of people or anything, but I am sure that dead men are close to Eru, and as such in the fabric of what is beyond Ea. They, in my opinion, will enjoy an existence slightly like that of the Ainur at first, but different in many ways 'cause they aren't Ainur.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:35 AM   #6
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think that hobbits go to a little farm in the sky, or somewhere near Tol Eressea, where they eta and drink and have parties all day, and the rest of the time they write books and plough fields with little winged donkeys.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Ardamir the Blessed
Animated Skeleton

Ardamir the Blessed has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ardamir the Blessed Send a message via Yahoo to Ardamir the Blessed
LR, 'The Houses of Healing':
Quote:
Slowly the lights of the torches in front of him [Meriadoc] flickered and went out, and he was walking in a darkness; and he thought: ‘This is a tunnel leading to a tomb; there we shall stay forever.’
It seems that the Hobbits (or at least Meriadoc) did not believe in an afterlife (other than staying forever in a tomb).
Ardamir the Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

That was just his mood that day. He had been reading Schopenhauer, you see.