The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Finduilas

White Tree Boromirs thread; the high-warden of the white tower

Ok, I'm starting this thread to make a place for ppl to talk about Boromir.
There seem to be some understanding across the world that he was a fraud, false, and a deciever. But was he really as bad as some might think? Allright, he tried to take the Ring, but the Ring is very very powerful and it would eventually take all of the Fellowship. So what about a discussion on this?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Here is a thread of mine that talks about the deadly sins and heavenly virtues. It quickly turns out to be a discussion on Boromir and how he ways in on the deadly sins and heavenly virtues.
7 Deadly sins vs. 7 Heavenly virtues

On for what I think, well Boromir is my favorite character and all, so here it comes.

First, The Fellowship would not have been able to survive without Boromir, because if it wasn't for Boromir the fellowship would have a lack of strength. Aragorn would not have been able to carry all four hobbits down Caradhras in the snow storm. Gimli was too short, Legolas was prancing on top, and Gandalf might break his back, clearly the Fellowship needed Boromir's strength. Also, it was Boromir who first thinks of the hobbits in the storm.
Quote:
This will be the death of hte halflings, Gandalf," said Boromir. "It is useless to sit here until the snow goes over our heads. We must do something to save ourselves."
I tend to believe (and this may be debated) that Boromir actually helped the quest succeed, by trying to take the Ring. When Frodo went off into the wild, he knew what he had to do, he was just afraid to do it. He knew he had to leave the company, but he didn't want to. I believe if it wasn't for Boromir's temporary madness Frodo would have stayed in the Company, and here's why.
Quote:
"They'll be hunting for me," he said. "I wonder how long I have been away. Hours I should think." He hesitated. "What can I do?" he muttered. "I must go now or I shall never go. I shan't get a chance again. I hate leaving them, and like this without any explanation. But surely they will understand. Sam will. And what else can I do?
Even after Boromir's attack Frodo has to bring himself to leaving the company. Boromir's attack was the final nudge Frodo needed to get out of the Fellowship. Boromir taught Frodo if he doesn't get out of the Company, the Ring will tear everyone apart, and he must go before another person turns into a "Boromir."

Also, you have to remember, there are orcs about. Aragorn has said it, and Boromir reinforces it in that chapter, yet Frodo is off wondering alone. If Boromir hadn't of been tempted to go after Frodo, Frodo could have been very well captured (again that can be debated).

Lastly, it wasn't like Boromir was corrupt from the beginning. In Lothlorien the Lady Galadriel revealed to him what he's been suppressing, the ring. Galadriel awoke in Boromir the thought of the Ring, and throughout Boromir's ending days he begins to struggle within himself. It's not as if, Boromir planned days ahead to deceive and undermind the company, but by the time the temptation in the Ring had been too strong in Boromir he couldn't resist.
Quote:
He (Boromir) laid his hand on the hobbit's shoulder in friendly fashion; but Frodo felt the hand trembling with suppressed excitement.
I think the words Tolkien uses are important, he uses "trembling," and "suppressed excitement." This appears to be that even in Boromir's last stages before he falls to the ring he's trying to "suppress" his thoughts, he's trying to "suppress" his excitement. He lays his hand on Frodo in a friendly way, but then his hand trembles, here I think Boromir is still in an internal struggle, within, to do good or evil. Again, it's not like Boromir planned, on the day of February 26th I'm going to take the Ring from Frodo.

And then we see Boromir's repentance, he brings himself back together, and dies nobily (is that a word?) defending the hobbits'. Here's an account from Pippin which I find interesting.
Quote:
Then Boromir had come leaping through the trees. He had made them fight. He slew many of them and the rest fled. But they had not gone far on the way back when they were attacked again, by a hundred Orcs at least, some of them very large, and they shot a rain of arros: always at Boromir. boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came they had attacked more fiercely than ever. Pippin did not remember much more. His last memory was of Boromir leaning against a tree, plucking out an arrow; then darkness fell.
Boromir did not stall the Orc attack once, not twice, but THREE times. First time, then Pippin says they retreated. Second time they came back with 100 orcs, Boromir blew his horn and they drew back, third time was when they got him, an impressive swordsman no doubt.

In conclusion I will say it's Boromir's strength and fighting skills that make him the ending tragic hero. But, if it wasn't for his strength, his fighting ability, and if he wasn't born where War was brewing Boromir would seem lost, and would seem even more corrupt. He doesn't fit in a place like Lothlorien, full of history, mystery, and magic. He's fit for the time Gondor is facing now, a time of War, if it wasn't for that Boromir would be out of place.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Welcome to Barrow Downs, Finduilas

Your proposal is of value, and of course, it's a good idea to have a thread on Boromir. Thing is, there are already several existing threads on the subject, which can be found at following locations:

Choice #1 (for the purposes you proclaim your main goal): Boromir's Lovers - Unite!

besides, to list the few:

LotR -- Book 3 - Chapter 1 - The Departure of Boromir (recommended)
What if Boromir claimed the Ring
Boromir's way?
Civil War if Boromir Survived?
Elvish Blood in Boromir and Faramir
Boromir and the Ring
Opinions on Boromir
Frodo and Boromir
The Tears of Boromir (recommended)

I used Search Engine to retreive the links above. You are cordially invited to employ the same once in doubt whether topic you are going to raise is already discussed elsewhere

You may be good advised to wade through those, and to continue discussion in one of your choice, or, if you are not satisfied, start a new thread. But as I've found during my [long] posting career, old threads can be given a thrust to take new direction quite easily, and people tend to go back to familiar threads rather than participate in new one which, as they feel, deals with what has been alraedy chewed over

Nice thread name, BTW. Despite that, advice above stays in force, o'course

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

You got to it before I did Heren. . I have a feeling that this thread will be closed, however, it might stand up since most discussions are rather old. Besides the Chapter-by-Chapter discussion.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Good advice?

I cross-posted with Boromir88 in my previous. Whilst I wallowed in parental advice sort of speeches, he posted a worthy reply. I suppose there is no point in following my advice now, all is ruined, all is gone, gollm, gollm... tons of people will pop up to continue the trend here

So be it Here is another link to 7 sins/virtues thread, by Squatter this time. Take a look:

Seven Deadly Sins in Middle Earth

cheers

EDIT: Funny how we keep cross posting

Closing is up to mods. And participation ratio, of course END OF EDIT

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 12-06-2004 at 03:50 PM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boromir´s not bad. He´s lovely.

I had a dream once, which I think, describes Boromir very much. He was in Lórien and talking with Galadriel. He said:

"It´s not easy to be the only evil among good people. It´s not easy to be the only man among women."

Well it may make you laugh, as it made me afterwards, but I really thing that my dream caught the spirit of Boromir, if it doesn´t sound too profound...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote