The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Admin Thread for WWLXXI: Something in the Night

"...an American-provincial world of a guy, a girl, and a car hurtling into the night, fleeing time itself." ~From critic Stephen Holden's review of Bruce Springsteen's record, The River.

The subject matter of this game happens to be rather far afield from Tolkien, even more so than usual, as I'm basing the game on the music of Bruce Springsteen - primarily his first three or four albums. If you are a dedicated listener of Springsteen, you'll be familiar with his use of recurring characters, phrases, and themes. I've tried to condense these down into a werewolf game that captures something of that sweeping story arc which sits just underneath the surface of Bruce Springsteen's hit songs and which reveals itself piece by piece if you take the time to listen to his albums straight through. Springsteen is essentially a story-teller, and I wanted to see if I could make draw out that basic story which underpins most of his albums, using his own cast of characters.

So that's the idea behind the game.

A knowledge of Springsteen's music is not necessary, and it may or may not help you catch the wolves, but at the very least it will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the game. I particularly recommend listening to anything from the albums The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle, Born to Run, and Darkness on the Edge of Town. If you have time, listen to the album Greetings of Asbury Park, N.J. as well.

There will be 12 or 14 players, 6 or 7 non-traditional lover pairs, 3 (?) wolves, 1 seer, 1 ranger, and 1 hunter. All roles may be male or female.

Lovers: All players will have a lover counterpart with whom they can correspond via PM at all times. Ordos and wolves may be paired up. Unlike normal lovers, the lovers in this game will be able to survive if their counterpart is killed.

Seer (The Dreamer): normal

Ranger (The Angel): normal

Hunter (The Highwayman): normal

Wolves (The Betrayer, The Killer, The Lawman): normal. I think 3 is a good number, but if we get lots of players, I can add a fourth without any trouble.

Here's the list of characters. When you sign up, please choose one. Male, female, doesn't matter. Choose whoever you want.

Male
Johnny 99 - Nogrod
City Dude - Inziladun
Jimmy the Saint - Morsul
Gypsy Biker - Shasta
Bad Scooter - Isabellkya
Wild Billy - Glirdan

Female
Mary - Rikae
Crazy Janey - Alonariel
Boardwalk Sandy - Sally
Rosalita - Loslote
Jersey Girl - Wilwarin
Wendy - Lariren

Ok, folks, I think that's everything for the time being. Post away.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-11-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote