The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #11041
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
No... no... but -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
ERASED>ERISED>MIRROR

pair that with clue 1, and voila.
YES.

GALADRIEL: A girl and boy with ire danced around, but who is this? A girl… and yet a boy?

An evil elbow, in confusion’s rush, has lost its finish, hearing itself shushed.

Decrepit elder, senior, but mark: this one’s not senile, nor yet weak.

And yet another senior we see: mature, aged, venerable, elderly.

Among them giants, dragons fire-breathing, but also very ordinary beasts. Their owner is not haggard - or is he?

An adjective which means to say “debarred”...

...And yet another, to describe a whacker.

MAGGOT'S PETS (Grip, Fang, Wolf): Hold fast: a tooth, lupine - all with an insect.

ERISED: Erased? Not quite, but close enough to see.

I cannot say his name, but you’ll know him.

A royal hero from the other side exchanged directions for a single note, as well as half a dozen extra feet.

The other other side’s best friend, howbeit, took note, and more than one direction took - alas, becoming evil in the process.

2. MIRROR: ERISED / GALADRIEL
Old 05-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #11042
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The giants/dragons clue makes me think of Farmer Giles; he had both, plus his own animals (Garm, the grey mare, and poor squashed Galathea). Alternately, the 'not haggard' part makes me wonder if Hagrid is involved. Either way it could be a similar answer to the Maggot one.

And on the 'have to check' level: the 'mature, aged, venerable, elderly' clue isn't just OLD, is it?

hS
Old 05-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #11043
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
If I am right about the theme, then OLD+WHACKER = Willow

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #11044
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
The giants/dragons clue makes me think of Farmer Giles; he had both, plus his own animals (Garm, the grey mare, and poor squashed Galathea). Alternately, the 'not haggard' part makes me wonder if Hagrid is involved. Either way it could be a similar answer to the Maggot one.
Hagrid is involved, and I'll give that one to you. And you are correct about the pairing with Maggot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
And on the 'have to check' level: the 'mature, aged, venerable, elderly' clue isn't just OLD, is it?
Yes. ^.^

Quote:
If I am right about the theme, then OLD+WHACKER = Willow
I think you are right about the theme, and about Willow being the password clue - but you do not have the correct pair, nor is "whacker" the answer to that halfling hint. If you've figured out the theme, you should be able to easily identify the two correct words that pair for that one.

GALADRIEL: A girl and boy with ire danced around, but who is this? A girl… and yet a boy?

An evil elbow, in confusion’s rush, has lost its finish, hearing itself shushed.

OLD: And yet another senior we see: mature, aged, venerable, elderly.

HAGRID'S PETS: Among them giants, dragons fire-breathing, but also very ordinary beasts. Their owner is not haggard - or is he?

An adjective which means to say “debarred”...

...And yet another, to describe a whacker.

MAGGOT'S PETS (Grip, Fang, Wolf): Hold fast: a tooth, lupine - all with an insect.

A royal hero from the other side exchanged directions for a single note, as well as half a dozen extra feet.

The other other side’s best friend, howbeit, took note, and more than one direction took - alas, becoming evil in the process.

2. MIRROR: Erised / Galadriel
6. Hagrid's pets / Maggot's pets
Old 05-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #11045
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I thought about pairing Old Man Willow with Whomping Willow, but if that's not the case, then...

Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #11046
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Even so

Aragorn - RN + G = Aragog

Old 05-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #11047
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And 'debarred' = 'forbidden'

It's all starting to make sense.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #11048
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

These two clues pair together

Quote:
Quote:
Sauron.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #11049
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I thought about pairing Old Man Willow with Whomping Willow, but if that's not the case, then...
Well, yes - and I confirmed that the final answer is "willow". I will give you WHOMPING, because you've said it now. But "OLD" is not the clue which pairs with it. Find the pair, and it will appear in the password.

Quote:
Aragorn - RN + G = Aragog
Yes! And yes to FORBIDDEN.

Quote:
These two clues pair together

Sauron.
Sauron is correct, and you have the correct pair, but I need an answer for the other clue before I put the pairing into the password. You're nearly there.

HAGRID'S PETS: Among them giants, dragons fire-breathing, but also very ordinary beasts. Their owner is not haggard - or is he?

FORBIDDEN: An adjective which means to say “debarred”...

WHOMPING: ...And yet another, to describe a whacker.

ARAGOG: A royal hero from the other side exchanged directions for a single note, as well as half a dozen extra feet.

SAURON: The other other side’s best friend, howbeit, took note, and more than one direction took - alas, becoming evil in the process.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-19-2021 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Unbolding the clues that were already paired, for easier reading
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #11050
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, so Old + [debarred >] Forbidden = FOREST in the password. (I think Urwen figured that out but didn't say it?)

I'm also not sure if she meant to guess that "I cannot say his name" = HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED, but the idea was there.

Assuming both of those + Aragog are right, then we have 4 clues left:

evil elbow, decrepit elder, whacker, other other side.

Which must be, in some order:

Sauron/Nameless Enemy
Old Man [Willow]
Shelob/Ungoliant
Whomping.

"Decrepit elder" for OLD MAN, paired with "whacker" for WHOMPING, and WILLOW for the password?

hS
Old 05-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #11051
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

OLD MAN: Decrepit elder, senior, but mark: this one’s not senile, nor yet weak.

HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED: I cannot say his name, but you’ll know him.

ARAGOG: A royal hero from the other side exchanged directions for a single note, as well as half a dozen extra feet.

SAURON: The other other side’s best friend, howbeit, took note, and more than one direction took - alas, becoming evil in the process.

1. He Who Must Not Be Named / Sauron
4. WILLOW: Whomping / Old Man
5. FOREST: Forbidden / Old

Did I miss any guesses? I hope I got them all.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-19-2021 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Fixing formatting
Old 05-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #11052
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

1. Dark Lord?

Old 05-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #11053
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Right, so 'evil' is the straight clue. Remove W from ELBOW, add SH in front, and you have Shelob.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #11054
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

6. Dogs?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #11055
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Could the password be 'RIPOFF'?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #11056
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Provided, of course, the word for 3 is 'Spider'?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #11057
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Lots of correct answers! Not "dogs", but you're on the right track. I believe this is the last one left.

SHELOB: An evil elbow, in confusion’s rush, has lost its finish, hearing itself shushed.

1. DARK LORD: He Who Must Not Be Named / Sauron
3. SPIDER: Aragog / Shelob
6. F Hagrid's pets / Maggot's pets
Old 05-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #11058
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, I am drawing a blank on that last one...

Old 05-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #11059
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Unless it's Fang, as both had a pet named Fang...

Old 05-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #11060
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Unless it's Fang, as both had a pet named Fang...
Indeed so!

SHELOB: An evil elbow, in confusion’s rush, has lost its finish, hearing itself shushed.

1. DARK LORD: He Who Must Not Be Named / Sauron
3. SPIDER: Aragog / Shelob
6. FANG: Hagrid's pets / Maggot's pets

We've used Harry Potter references so often, I thought I would do something fun about it. My only regret is that I didn't put "wizard" in there.

And with that, over to Urwen!

(On a complete tangent, if you ever do want to see Dumbledore talking about Gandalf and references and crossovers to a whole other bunch of excellent fiction, I recommend reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It is a parody that somehow ended up better than the original, as it still hit all of HP's strong points but also addressed many of its weak spots as a piece of literature.)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-19-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #11061
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Will have one up shortly.

(Also, if we're recommending fanfictions, Against the Moon is a masterpiece. Go read it.)

Old 05-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #11062
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Here we go, in honor of the person I keep forgetting

1. Is he rude, or in turmoil? One vowel becomes another.
2. Um...he makes a gesture of approval, with direction. Twist it.
3. A Disney mermaid follows Indian rhythm (in reverse). Find her.
4. Behold, he is sad! Or maybe troubled by what he did.
5. A forest turns, and exchanges a sound, for him.
6. Band boss in medieval lingo.

(Sorry if it's difficult, my brain is like that sometimes.)

Old 05-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #11063
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

3. Don't know Indian rhythms, but the mermaid is Ariel, suggesting ALATARIEL.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:32 AM   #11064
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

2. Um...he makes a gesture of approval, with direction. Twist it.
ALATARIEL: A Disney mermaid follows Indian rhythm (in reverse). Find her.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #11065
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can almost get ERESTOR from forest.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #11066
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nope.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #11067
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#2: Er + Nod + L for direction = ELROND.

hS
Old 05-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #11068
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

ELROND: Um...he makes a gesture of approval, with direction. Twist it.
ALATARIEL: A Disney mermaid follows Indian rhythm (in reverse). Find her.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #11069
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TURIN is boss of a band of outlaws, and perhaps his band might go TURIN (tourin').

I'll get me coat.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #11070
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
TURIN is boss of a band of outlaws, and perhaps his band might go TURIN (tourin').

I'll get me coat.

Wrong, though it's an interesting line of thought.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #11071
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could the password be BEARER?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #11072
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Could the password be BEARER?

Nope, but close.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #11073
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is it LEAVER or HEALER?

Or maybe WEARER?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #11074
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Is it LEAVER or HEALER?

Or maybe WEARER?

Nope. Try guessing more of the clues.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:39 PM   #11075
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Nope. Try guessing more of the clues.
I did *try* that first.

FOREST - Wood - Wodo - Change W for FR = FRODO.

But that's as far as I got.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #11076
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The forest is a named forest.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #11077
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

AMBARUSSA, from Ambarona?
Old 05-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #11078
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #11079
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ALDARION, from Aldarome?
Old 05-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #11080
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No.