The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2003, 08:38 AM   #81
Laura
Pile O'Bones

Laura has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm Laura. MY family insist I have an obbsession with lotr. Even the girls where I work go on at me for learning sindarin and tengwar. I can totally relate to everyone who is the only Tolkien fan in their house. My brother wouldn't go see TTT unless I paid, because he said, sniff...he said that he wasn't going to pay to see such... I'm sorry. It's too hard for me to talk about right now. sob. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 03:00 AM   #82
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Oh, i am sooo alone...i'm the only prolofic reader in the family, and the closest anyone can get is watching the movies...all they do is listen to my "lectures" while they watch the movie, and I've really got no one to talk to about the gallant 9.

No one! Not even our dogs! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #83
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Hello! My name is Maikafanawen. I am the only LOTR fan in my home too. My brother is a hardcore skateboarder and is obssessed with Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, and my little sister's a cheerleader. Need I go further? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And both my parents are very psychological. Mum doesn't work, and my dad co-owns a UBuildIt franchise. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I read The Hobbit incessantly in elementary and dove right into LOTR in middle school. I didn't get too enthralled with it until the movies came out though. I have almost every action figure, framed FOTR and TTT posters on one wall with space for an ROTK in my room, my cat's name is Bilbo and I was Finduilas for a Halloween Ball at the Scottish Heritage Festival last year.

I'm probably not as obsessed (in a good way! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) as you all are, but I still love it and am alone. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 10-25-2003, 04:11 PM   #84
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

Can I join in?
Im Sleepy(thats my name not how Im feeling). I'm the only LOTR fan in the country(if you can call it that) I'm stuck in. SUre there are movie fans. But have they read the books? no. They don't ven know who Galadriel is.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #85
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I'm like to join, please! My parents have seen the movies, and think they're good, but they aren't their favorites. And nobody else in the house has read the books. So they don't quite get my obsession.
Arwen
Old 10-25-2003, 05:41 PM   #86
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

mmm... that rings a bell... Yes I think I am the only REAL LotR fan in my house and proud of it to!

[Edit] my name is Jack by the way!

[ October 25, 2003: Message edited by: Jack ]
Old 10-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #87
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hello! I'm Amarantha, and I'm the only Tolkien fan in my family, too. My mom read the books when she was in high school, but she doesn't remember them... My dad thinks the movies are "too drawn out" and my sister thinks LotR is for geeks. (But then again, she's one of those snotty popular types, so...)

Yep. I like to scare them by speaking in Sindarin, quoting, talking to my action figures, and randomly acting out scenes. Acting out parts of The Silm is fun beacause they have no movie to go by... They get very confused and say "I don't remember that part..." [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I also like to bring up LotR during completely unrelated dinner conversations... But then again, don't we all? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #88
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I think my mom is getting a littl emore interested in it now. I got her to watch TTT last night for the first time, and after it was over, she was ready to pummel me when I wouldn't tell her who Aragorn was going to marry, where Arwen was going, and who the 'she' that Gollum was talking about is [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Then I proceeded to tell her all about the book, and what they did different in the movie, except for the part about Shelob. I didn't mention her, and therefore didn't tell her who Gollum was talking about. Then we watched most of the special features on the dvd. We would have watched them all, except it was 2:30 in the morning(and that's after setting the clocks back), and she was about to fall asleep. But she really wants to see RotK now! She's making progress [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 10-31-2003, 04:32 AM   #89
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Question

May I join? I'm Galenondowen, or Galen in short. My parents and I have seen the movies, they admit that they're good, but not the best. (Probably no film is the best for them.) And I'm an only child, so I can only talk to my own reflection, and live in my own fantazy. Well, I do get to explain something for my parents and friends when watching the movies, but that's it. I tried talked to my mum about LOTR, elvish, etc, she'd smile and listen. Sounds great, huh? But then when I paused to take a breath, she said 'I think you're too obsessed with it, dear.' Most of my friends like the films, and that's all. Except my best friend, she's more tolerate with my obsession, everytime I tell her about LOTR, etc, she'd listen, but often gets confused and I have to change topic. When I look for online LOTR rpg games, she'd say encouraging things, and tell me remember to inform her when I've found one, for she'd like to play as well. Yet she says them with a fake passion. It's warm, I really appreciate her friendship, but it's equally frustrating, if you get what I mean...
Then I found a girl, according to my best friend, is obsessed with LOTR. I was very happy, but then I found out she's not obsessed with LOTR at all, she loves the movies because of the actor of Legolas (Orlando Bloom). In other words, she's obsessed with Orlando Bloom, not LOTR...
So, I'm the most obsessed with LOTR among friends and family. And I'm the only one who has read the books...
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Galenondowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:06 AM   #90
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Im also the only person in my family whos managed to read the books. My parents and sister have seen the film and they said they liked it but none of them can be bothered to read the book.

My step mom started to read it once but stopped and said she couldnt get in to it and went back to her harry potter books(Stupid woman).
Old 10-31-2003, 08:17 AM   #91
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Tolkien

I am the only fan in my house, too. My friend bought me a VHS of LOTR/FOTR, and soon after I got it, my father watched it "just for something to watch." He thinks it's just some mideaval-set action movie, it seems. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:47 PM   #92
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I am a big time loner. My parents never read LotR, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my school who has read the Silm. Pretty sad, I know. At least I have the 'Downs!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #93
Dolenarda

Ring

As it stands, my wife thinks i'm getting in tough with my child like roots being a fan of lotr. Not that that kind of opinion bothers me, its just in the way it got brought up or told to me. In a sense, I guess some people just never understand unless they are a part of it. She says it is just not her thing, and im ok with that, but i feel like the preverbial outsider in my family cause im just a big fan
Old 11-11-2003, 06:10 PM   #94
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually had the fortune to meet two people who said they loved LOTR, but, alas! They were both "Leg-O-las" fans but also liked "that good-looking one...". I supplied Aragorn's name to her and turned out to have guessed right! Neither had read the books. Oh well! I did meet a transvestite on Halloween who told me he had read the Silmarillion though! That was something! Anyway...

My father bought me my first set of the Hobbit/LOTR back in the 80's, but now he has to ask me how to spell "Frodo." I think he may have been one of the "Frodo Lives" crowd of the 60's, but to my knowledge, he was never a fanatic. He was more into C.S. Lewis and Frank Herbert than Tolkien. My husband was a fan in the 1970's but now makes good-natured fun of me, while dredging up memories of when HE last read the trilogy so long ago...so, not alone, but almost!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:03 PM   #95
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I think I'm turning my mom into a fan of the movies!! I got her to watch TTT for the first time a few weeks ago, then last week I got her to watch FOTR EE. Then next night, she wanted to go rent TTT so she could see it again, as having seen FOTR EE, it would make more sense. And I didn't even suggest it!! Then I got Daddy to watch it... so last week, my mom and I watched FOTR EE once, and TTT twice!!! She also wanted to watch all the special features on TTT dvd, and we watched some from FOTR EE.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm turning her into a fan!!!!
Arwen
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM   #96
LOTR Geek

Tolkien

Hi, everybody! I'm a ringer,too. I guess that was kind of obvious. My mom and brother both love the movies, but neither heve read the books. My brother has read the hobbit and got about halfway through FOTR before he got sick of it. My mom read the hobbit many years ago in her youth, but after I became addicted, she read it again. She still doesn't know a lot of what I consider to be really basic stuff, though. BTW, I became converted after seeing FOTR when I got the DVD for xmas. I don't really have any close friends at school, let alone any who like LOTR. My school has a serious geek-shortage. Oh, well. Occasionally, I run into someone who claims to be a fan & ask who their fav. character is. Almost invariably, the answer is 'that hot elf guy' [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] oh, gosh, if they at least knew his name! Anyway, yeah, that's my story. sorry it was so long.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #97
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hi! I'm Laitoste, and I am the only person in my town (that I know of) who loves The Lord of the Rings. I seriously started crying this afternoon because I can't talk to anyone about it.

I convinced one of my friends to read the books, but she hasn't finished RotK yet, and told me that I need to find better "smalltalk", because I was complaining about something I heard about RotK movie. That was right after she was talking about how she thought it was cool that I was so interested in something. Ah high school. Don't you just love it?

Anyway, I finished RotK right before FotR came out in theaters, luckily, and as soon as I finished, I was obsessed. No one else in my family loves it as much. My dad read it a long time ago, and my brother hates it (probably because I like it-no joke). My mom seriously asked if I needed therapy.

But now I have you people. I LOVE YOU!!! Okay, that was spontaneous! Everyone else thinks I'm wierd. Their loss [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] That was really long and I'm sorry, but I have a lot to say!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:14 AM   #98
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am one of two "hard-core" fans in my school. At home I am all alone. My two sisters have seen the movie but still haven't read the books.(One is four so she can't read but she loves the movies. Strange but true. She knows the names of all the characters and can recite lines from the movie. I feel so proud, I'm teaching her well.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #99
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

For a very long time, I used to be the only Middle-earth fan in my house. Now, after the movies came out, I managed to get my 8-year-old brother really interested in LotR, and now my 2-year-old brother is learning all the names of the characters. So far, he's said "Fodo" and "Ah-gon" (Frodo and Aragorn), although I don't think that he knows who Frodo is, he does know who Aragorn is because I've got a cut-out of the Ranger in my room that he loves "playing" with.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:45 PM   #100
Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Pile O'Bones

Nienna, sister of Feanturi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nienna, sister of Feanturi Send a message via AIM to Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Sting

I think my parents are rather concerned about my lotr addiction. My brother doesn't understand it but pretends he like it because it's the fashion with his friends. He even has (oh the horror!) lotr top trump cards and action figures. (No offense to any who collect such items but...)
If you ask him who he thinks Sauron is he looks utterly blank. I have tried to educate him by reading him The Hobbit but to no avail. My best friend also thinks I'm crazy, she can't stand lotr but then she has no imagination. She is a genius though so I guess that makes up for it.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:15 PM   #101
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
now my 2-year-old brother is learning all the names of the characters. So far, he's said "Fodo" and "Ah-gon" (Frodo and Aragorn),
That's downright cute. No one in my family cares for LOTR at all, though my father DID watch my FOTR video for something to watch, though he didn't really get the real story at all , I'm sure.

(Sorry, I think I repeated myself--what I really wanted to say was related to the above quote)

I work with preschool children. None of my adult co-workers are LOTRers either, but one day I was down on the level of one of our cuter kidlets (he's 3 I believe) when he says out of the blue: "We got Lo'd of da Wings". It shocked me, having never heard ANYTHING about our movies since I started working there. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 6:16 PM November 29, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #102
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

My name is Elfearz! I've come to realize that I will probably never be the person my mom wants me to be. She wants me to be reserved and just like everyone else. She thinks my obsession is "unhealthy" and tries to make me more of a girl. I tell her I want action figures for christmas she counters with "how about some make-up instead or I can get you a gift certificate to a manicure place."
no! I want action figures.
anyway, I know how you all feel and I'm so glad I have you guys.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:36 PM   #103
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mmm.. I'm like that, too, Elfearz! The "girly-ist" thing I want for Christmas is the Evenstar pendant. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

There are some good things about being alone in your obsession. You can certainly scare people easier with your obsessiveness! Of course, my friends are mostly used to it, by now. My family, too. My sister still gets freaked out, though! Good fun, good fun... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ 12:04 AM November 30, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #104
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well my brothers and sister all like the movies even my mom and dad like them to.But im the only one who has actually read all the books.I can sit there and talk movies with them but when it comes to my obbsesion with the books im pretty much alone.But at lease I have the intenet [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:04 AM   #105
Alexandria Lumiere

Silmaril

I want to be friends with someone.I'm a very lonely elf maiden.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:49 AM   #106
Nienna Telmnar

Silmaril

*hangs head shamefully*

I almost feel like I don't deserve to post here anymore. It's been almost a year since I was even on the barrow downs. It's been a rough year for me, but now I finally have a little free time.

For those of you who don't recognize me, My name is Nienna (used to be Nianna)and I started this thread over a year ago. Imagine my suprise when I strolled online today and found that it's still up and running.

You guys seem to be getting along pretty well. I'm glad so many new people have joined.

And now regretfully, I must dash off once again, but I promise to check in more often.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:54 PM   #107
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ah yes, the young again. If you think it is hard now to be the only one in your house that is not only a fan but an avid fan, think about what it would have been like about twenty to twentyfive years ago. I was shunned as "one of them". I am still reading and rereading everything Tolkien I can find. My wife and son say the movies are OK, but "so what?" At least we have the internet and a great site like The Barrowdowns to communicate and share our enthusiasm in Tolkien. And yes, I would rather spend my money on LOTR merchandise rather than drugs or things that are harmful.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #108
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha, this is kind of funny in a cruel kind of way... this thread goes on for 3 pages...
Yeah I'm Lady Snick and I am such a loner. I mean, sure everyone in my family has seen the movies but my mom doesn't understand it ("Who's the greasy haired evil looking guy again?" "MOM that would be Aragorn son of Arathorn, known as Estel, Telcontar, Dunedan, Strider and Wingfoot, Captain of the Rangers of the North and oh yeah did i mention, hes like the long lost heir to the throne who leads the forces of good against the Dark Lord???") and she just rolls her eyes. And my brother has seen the movies and spends all his time on the LOTR video game (i know some people here love that game but i mean at least you've read the books) And my dad likes LOTR and has read the books but actually inferred that i should get a life once! I mean like what kind of family is this??? And most of my friends refuse to listen to me, and some even choose to hate LOTR just to spite me. However, there is still hope [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , I am slowly converting a few of them to ring-nuts, but they still laugh at me for learning Quenya and Tengwar. Thats why i love the downs *sniffle* we can all be alone together... if that makes sense...
Old 12-16-2003, 08:00 PM   #109
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in a house that has a tolkien hardcore fan. Though I do enjoy the movies... I am not as big as my dad is. He spends more money on himself and his LOTR card than his family. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] And he calls me selfish!!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:46 PM   #110
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Sting

This seems like the place for me! No one else in my family don't even care about lotr. But, it's no big deal. The movies are pretty popular here, but I only know two people who have read the book.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #111
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Shield

I'm the only diehard fan in the house, but my brother is the one who went to the midnight premiere...*GLARES* (Which is why I was so reluctant to relinquish my Ringlace to him for the event.) I take great offense to any wannabe Tolkienites and still have some standing grudges with those type of characters... Anyhow, I feel right at home in the Barrow-Downs with you folk, who share my most "unhealthy obsession" as my friends call it. (They even made a song about it!) Despite the tragic feeling of being alone, I do enjoy rubbing my fanaticism in the faces of certain wannabes. For example, it simply shocks my brother when I inform him of the specific page numbers where Eowyn is the star [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (although she'll always be the star in my eyes). Well I hope to find many more freakishly-obsessed friends (besides the current two); namarie...