Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #161
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Gandalf: As I was really horribly stupid, I did not keep a copy of my own translation for myself. If you want me to type it, do you think that you could send it to me? In keeping with the spirit of the Elvish: Hannon le (Thank you)!

All: Happy New Year! I was watching my Extended Version DVD at midnight and I saw The Two Towers this morning at the first showing at my local theater! I hope you all had a similarly joyous New Year's experience!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:24 PM   #162
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Of course, I posted the beginning of the contest at a time when I was home and had a chance to plunder my own musical stores. I did not anticipate the time it would take Belin to post and am not home now, so if I don't decide to feel poetical and write one myself, you'll all have to wait.

Belin, thanks for that link to QR. Very good news it contained.

edit: Did I fool anyone into thinking that I wrote that song? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-01-2003, 10:22 PM   #163
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Susan Delgado:

A brave attempt at song on the part of Anna, a poignant attempt, a worthy attempt ... however, I rolled but a 13 on a 20-sided die. * bows regretfully * I do very much thank you for your effort, and have enjoyed the song you chose.

..... Thus, be it known that Celumëomaryu is the winner and may claim the prize. * bows acknowledgement of victory *

Refereeingly yours,

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-01-2003, 10:29 PM   #164
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Blast.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #165
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Belin:

Update: Now that there are posts up for Calimiel, Kenelm, and Anna, it's no longer necessary for you to post another song for Celumëomaryu unless you want to, of course, in which case, you're welcome. * nods *

The Fifth and Susan Delgado:

Excellent suspenseful posts! I daresay Alfred Hitchcock, master of suspense, would be pleased. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Good eeeeeeeevvvvvvvvening." (Hitchcock reference 1)

* bows as "Music to be Murdered By" plays in the background * (Hitchcock reference 2)

Now the only question that remains is, will the Butler do it?

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-02-2003, 02:32 AM   #166
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Wraggle Taggle Gypsies" is #200 from the Child Ballads collection - The English and Scottish Popular Ballads (1882-1898),
Old 01-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #167
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Thank you, Gandalf!

That last post was just to establish that the singing program has changed. And I have no clue who wrote "Night Lights". I just found it on a page of inspirational lyrics.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #168
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Buried under here. I will post tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:15 AM   #169
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Mithadan:

Well worth the wait. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

While I'm happy with everybody's story contributions and everybody participating here deserves a compliment, I'd like to single out two in particular for this post:

piosenniel:

Your posts are always so consistently grand at exhibiting excellent quality that perhaps they get taken for granted! Vive la vivid sensory description! (And I did like that song, "Wraggle Taggle Gypsies.") [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Vanima Edhel:

Your post of January 2nd was IMHO, your best post ever. The dialog was the strongest its ever been, in terms of moving the plot meaningfully forward according to the theme of the story. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] * bows *

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-04-2003, 03:14 AM   #170
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Thanks, Gandalf!

As to my most recent post - Bird said that I might carry her character for the remainder of the story.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #171
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

What's happened to Birdie?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:09 PM   #172
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Bird is being held captive by the wraiths of Home Improvement and is battling them with paint, plaster, hammer, and nail!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:42 PM   #173
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
Your post of January 2nd was IMHO, your best post ever. The dialog was the strongest its ever been, in terms of moving the plot meaningfully forward according to the theme of the story. * bows *
*Mouth opens and closes in surprise* Wow...

I would have posted today, but there is no way that my characters could enhance the action as of now. They would, of course, be worried about Nardol, but they would probably do nothing to help with his discomfort.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #174
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Belin, Anna is making a move toward Celumëomaryu's prisoner. What are you going to do about it?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:54 PM   #175
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Sting

Well, first of all I'll have to go back and rewrite the post I've been working on to accomodate the fact that you sent Celumëomaryu away.

Second of all, if Anna is silly enough to make the same mistake that Calimiel did with Calimiel still standing there, Celumëomaryu is going to laugh at her.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #176
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

What mistake? Being locked in the cell? That's no problem. They have food and someone will be along to unlock them soon.

edit: How would Celumëomaryu have solved the problem of being locked in the cell?

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #177
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Someone will be along to unlock them soon? Or, someone will be along to make sure they don't get unlocked? Hmmmmmmmm ...
Old 01-08-2003, 12:29 AM   #178
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Compliment Post:

This past Saturday, I had a couple of dinner guests over for an Iroquois theme meal of fried catfish, corn and string bean succotash sweetened with maple, pumpkin soup with onions and red and black pepper, fry bread, and tea. (Being a historical re-enactor with a trace of Seneca blood, I enjoy researching such foods.)

On an earlier visit, I made them take an LotR personality test, so I shall from hereon refer to my friends as Man of Gondor and Lady of Rohan, as befits them. The Man of Gondor I'd describe as a moderate Tolkien fan who read the books an Age ago and is interested in seeing TTT but somehow hasn't gotten to the theater yet. The Lady of Rohan appears mildly interested in Tolkien, and open to enjoying fantasy.

During the course of the evening, they had me dress up in the Hobbit garb I'd worn to TTT and were duly impressed when I showed them the One Ring. We also ended up singing snippets of Doctor Demento songs, everything from the backwards version of Yoda to Transfusions. Being avid readers, the Man of Gondor snatched a political news magazine from the coffee table to leaf through while the Lady of Rohan grabbed up my copy of the book "Confessions of a Birdwatcher" to skim through, and insatiably curious as to what species of birds were mentioned therein, she had to list some for us all to hear. (To these people, reading together is a sociable endeavor!)

Thus, you have a better understanding of your fan club. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

For I showed my two guests bits and pieces of Page 6 of the Castle Maladil RPG, and they absolutely loved it! They didn't have time to read every post, so they only noticed a couple of people's work in particular, besides my own.

Firstly, they absolutely loved the character of Birdland as portrayed by piosenniel who is currently carrying that character! They also really got into the Wraggle Taggle Gypsy song.

Secondly, they read with rapt attention, half aloud at times, Susan Delgado's post where Anna loses the singing contest and resigns herself to her fate.

Am sure that if they'd had more time, they would have enjoyed the combination of everyone else's efforts as well. * bows *

Just wanted to let everyone know that even people who live in a realm far distant from the Barrow Downs very much appreciate all the time, talent, creativity, and hard work that's gone into the group-writing of Castle Maladil RPG. People are reading and enjoying your words! Great job, everyone. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-08-2003, 01:50 AM   #179
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Makes me feel all squishy inside [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 03:17 AM   #180
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Squishy? You've got to stop living in your former body, my dear. It seems to be getting a bit ripe. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Ahem, what I mean to say is, congratulations on the compliments, the both of you, may you recieve many more. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
someone will be along to unlock them soon.
....and you call Celumëomaryu "very trusting"? As a sensible (well, not sensible so much as paranoid) ghost, she'd much rather have the door open before she enters the cage.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #181
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Oh, good point! In that case, I feel...It makes me feel very grounded [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I did say that Anna prefers the option that she's being very stupid....
Old 01-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #182
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please note:

Volondil is on the mend. Not back among the dangerous warriors of the world, but he's at least on his feet, and walking.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:19 AM   #183
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Fear not, fellow Ghosts. It's all a part of the plan, and Belin and I have discussed extensively. Are still doing so, in fact.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:20 PM   #184
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

"The best laid plans of Elves, Men and Ghosts go oft awry."

Susan Delgado:

The good news is, I rolled a natural 19, meaning that Anna has discovered the switch she was looking for.

However, I then rolled a natural 20, meaning that the trap connected to the switch has been set off. Please roll a 6-sided die as a saving throw (or simply, name a number from 1 to 6) ... and I'll tell you what, if anything, happens to Anna. Please note that I've randomly assigned meaning to each of the digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, so it's not as if you're aiming for a "high" number or a "low" number, any digit may be as good or bad as any other, regardless of numerical value.

Poor Calimiel, she missed her saving throw, and will suffer the consequences of the trap.

All:

Am planning on posting as Gandalf soon, (most probably tonight), to answer those questions that the company has as best I can ... after which, we'll take to the road once more.

Meanwhile, back at the dungeon, am planning on posting as Maladil when the time is right, which, again, should be very soon now.

Good luck, Susan.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #185
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

May I request that Susan edit her post so that it doesn't read as if Celumëomaryu had left the room? She's not going anywhere.

--Belin Ibaimendi
Old 01-09-2003, 02:17 PM   #186
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Already done, Belin.

I rolled a 2, Gandalf.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:22 PM   #187
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gandalf,

Please see my private message. Thank you.

Andreth
Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #188
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Susan Delgado:

Fitting. As luck would have it, Calimiel also rolled a 2. Looks like Anna and Calimiel will be sharing the same fate together then. Celumëomaryu will be pleased, as will Maladil. The Butler might not be much of a happy camper though, depending on how all this plays out.

Andreth:

Your PM duly received and answered. Happy to help. * bows *

All:

I should probably stress that even after I post as Gandalf and we get back on the road, it would * REALLY * not be a good idea for the company to show up at Castle Maladil exactly at this precise moment. To my reckoning, it's morning now at the Castle as well as around the company's breakfast fireside ... I'd like to say that the rest of the journey will take one more night's camping, and then the evening after is when the company will come within sight of Castle Maladil. That will allow for further healing for Volondil and Poppy, for further musical preparation by Hinura, Estelarion and Menelduliniel, and for other preparations, one of which will be made public shortly. (though not in Gandalf's post)

Thanks to all for helping coordinate the story events so that they proceed according to a logical timeframe in a way that balances the crucially urgent events now befalling at Laurëondo! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:03 PM   #189
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

So what happened to us? Did we die?

edit: Well, that's just great.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #190
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Child of the 7th Age:

My bet is that you'll want to place your save after the save I've just done ..... I still have to tie up some loose ends before proceeding to what we discussed via PM!

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #191
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Gandalf, is there some way out of this...thing, Jello Cube? whatever it is, that I have to discover, or is this it? Time to say, nice playing with everybody?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #192
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Susan Delgado:

Where there's life, there's hope. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Please feel free to PM me if you wish.

* bows *

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #193
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

On a rare occasion for this week, I am here. I already spoke to Gandalf, but I thought that I should warn all of you that, as I have midterms this week (I had my first the day before yesterday), my time on here will me more limited than my already-limited online time, as my time will be spent between studying and nervous breakdowns most of the time. If you wish to manipulate my characters in some way that would be in fashion with what they would actually do, then by all means, go ahead!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:49 PM   #194
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I too might have limited posting over the next few weeks, since I have exams very close on the horizon and I need to study like crazy (although I'm sure I'll find myself coming online anyway)

Just a warning, in case I can't.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:42 PM   #195
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Aylwen Dreamsong:

Good, strong post you've put up for Aislan ... also, congrats on running an RPG in your own right in Rohan! ("Search for the Book") [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

theLadyAerowen:

Also a good, strong post from you for Alearindu! That behind-the-scenes chat we had with all the dice-rolling to determine the outcome of the ranger's scouting paid off well. Here's to our next upcoming session for the morrow's scouting mission. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Belin:

Going back a few days, (but then, this shows the staying-power of your words, that even now they come to my mind sometimes as I'm going about my day) ... loved the post containing Celumëomaryu's "wavering music" with your rendition of its accompanying cruelly-twisted lyrics! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Consistently strong posts of course from the likes of Child of the 7th Age and Bethberry. Mithadan's too are always a treat. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And Varda, ... fine writing work on your part to keep the story moving on its course ... here's wishing you and VanimaEdhel the best in your studies, and a speedy return as your schedule allows. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 01-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #196
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mis' amuigh air luing a' seòladh
'S mi gun dòigh air tighinn gu
baile...

In case anyone's wondering, the translation to this is:
I am out sailing on the great ship
with no way to return home.
It's just a couple of lines from A Mhòrag 's na hò ro gheallaidh from here.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:39 AM   #197
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I will be away on business Thursday and Friday. I will try and post before I go. I may not be on this weekend either though I will try to pop in.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #198
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Thank you Gandalf! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I look forward to talking to you in a few. But I'm kinda straying away from mIRC...And I've been busy-ish the last few days, but I should be back to regular posting soon. My sister has sports every Tuesday and Thursday or something and I have a few try-outs this week. But I should be totally free on the weekends.

~The Lady Aerowen

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: TheLadyAerowen ]
Old 01-15-2003, 04:42 PM   #199
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thank you as well, Gandalf. I too have two long weeks of mid-terms, and I also have concerts and sports competitions all January and February. I may be a bit busy, but I'll still post as often as I can for Aislan. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aylwen
Old 01-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #200
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Ok, I may be even busier over the next few days, seeing as the other computer completely screwed up and I'm going to have to re-install practically everything. (Or get my brother to)

So I'll just be online when I can get a chance, really.