Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #481
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not me. Not tonight. I gotta go to bed. I'm dizzy from all these alternate possibilities.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #482
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
What I'm hearing sounds fine, but I'm also a little lost - does all this involve moving forward, or going back and changing...?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #483
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
What I'm hearing sounds fine, but I'm also a little lost - does all this involve moving forward, or going back and changing...?
Good question. To me it means that what we've written can stay as it is. We only have to come up with a reasonable explanation of why Saethryd is way over by the Druadan forest instead of near the Paths of the Dead, as originally thought. The simplest solution I can think of is that, being a more or less a madwoman, she doesn't understand where she is. And now considering the minor role she will have, as a way-station for others, this seems sufficient.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #484
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
So who is next?
I vote Elempi with a Bad Elf post.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #485
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I vote Elempi with a Bad Elf post.
Fea, you're both Slinker and Stinker. I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #486
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Fea, you're both Slinker and Stinker.
Aww, you flatterer...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #487
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

There you go. Who's turn next? I've kind of set things up for Raefindan now, to spend more time with Mellondu. Hmmm...... But someone else needs to post next. Maybe get things moving down by Saethryd's place?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #488
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Maybe get things moving down by Saethryd's place?
I'll do that.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #489
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
My, so much has been discussed since I last checked the thread!

I was gone all day Saturday at a conference, all day Sunday visiting my older brother, and in addition to be exhausted from the long weekend I'm coming down with another cold. That doesn't mean that I'll be out of it again, because I really did mean it when I said I was coming back, but... it does mean that my brain is feeling rather fuzzy right now and if I could be told really specifically what I could/should write about, I would very much appreciate it!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #490
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

In terms of your characters, Leafa and Ædegard, perhaps against Ædegard's own personal code of conduct, really want to go back to papa. You can write about how those two are ready to separate themselves from the quest, but feel guilty about leaving everyeone, and other matters that might run alongside that.

As per Liornung, he intends to rejoin the quest, and now clearly so does Ravion. And apparently the severe headwound to Mellonin/Avarien is not so severe, so Liornung could play "eye witness" to Ravion's healing prowess, not to mention a possible little bit of romantic conversation overheard by itching ears...... Just some (probably bad) ideas.

Does Liornung dream?

Since nobody is writing Bellyn, you could have a conversation between Bellyn and Liornung; this rpg hasn't experienced one of those in a long, long time.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #491
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

A conversation between Bellyn and Liornung would certainly be a nice way to ease back into the game.

So... at the present moment we're in the little hut, correct? Is it evening?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #492
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Er-- Yes! Or late enough in the afternoon so that Ravion doesn't mind crashing.

Does Liornung still have his fiddle? Would that freak Saethryd out? Maybe she'd love it? BY the way Ravion should have said thanks to Liornung for his help, but he was overfocused, so to speak.

Amroth, by the way, misses Bella's singing. A lot. But he hasn't been able to say so lately.

lmp (nice new sig) or Formendacil-- Raefindan, Aeron, Mellondu, Erebemlin, and Bergil-- and who else?-- are chasing Nastyelf? Whither? Round the southeast of Mindolluin, or westward?

Firefoot, the King's horse is still patiently watching Rugh. A wind-shift might tell RUgh that the horse is there, if you'd like. I don't know what your plans for Rugh are at this time so I figure I'd jsut leave some possibilities?

Celuien, Should Saethryd have some reactions to this invasion of her cottage? Has she ever had so many "guests"?

How does our favorite hound feel about all this-- eermy or aroo?

Last edited by mark12_30; 09-18-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #493
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
lmp (nice new sig)
Thanks.

Quote:
Raefindan, Aeron, Mellondu, Erebemlin, and Bergil-- and who else?-- are chasing Nastyelf? Whither? Round the southeast of Mindolluin, or westward?
Tharonwë leads them up the north face toward the pass between Mindolluin and the next peak to the west. I believe this is at just over 6000 feet up at its highest point. So their trajectory is across the northern face of Mindolluin, until they leave that mountain altogether and descend along the southern face of the mountain just to the west of Mindolluin.

Quote:
How does our favorite hound feel about all this-- eermy or aroo?
Thanks for the nudge. I'll check in with Jorje and see... or - er - smell....
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #494
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Before I fill in my save, I was wondering ... is Bella going to be dropping out of the quest? If so, I could introduce that idea.... Liornung suggesting that perhaps she could accompany Ædegard and Leafa 'back to civilization.'
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #495
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel View Post
Before I fill in my save, I was wondering ... is Bella going to be dropping out of the quest? If so, I could introduce that idea.... Liornung suggesting that perhaps she could accompany Ædegard and Leafa 'back to civilization.'
Know what, Nuru? My sense is that it's up to you. If you consider yourself capable and interested enough to write Bella and keep her around, then whe can stay in the quest. So it's up to you, your Liornung character being about as close to the Bella character as any has gotten. So do you feel like you know what makes Bella tick?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #496
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Well, you see, that's just the thing. I 'knew' her well enough to have Liornung and Leafa interact with her, but she really is a rather deep girl and I don't know if I could do her justice.

And that question aside, I don't know if I have the time to commit to the additional character.

Would there be any negative impacts on the story if she went home? If so, I'm sure I could spend enough time on her to at least keep her in, even if I didn't give her too much attention. If not, I imagine I'd rather see her sent off safely in the company of Ædegard and Leafa.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #497
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Then it's best to send her home.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #498
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Mellondu, for the moment, is feeling a bit, well, lonely. Aedegard, Liornung, Bella-- he misses them. So Raefindan (as Mellonin's loyal friend) has a certain, well, appeal, perhaps. Hopefully. Maybe.

lmp, if you'd like to interpret this as playing into Tharonwe's hands, it'll be eermy but it's up to you.

Erebemlin ought to call an archery session soon. No shooting in the snow-- arrows get lost too easily; but draw and aim, yes.

PS what is the alt-code for AE again?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #499
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Aside

NOn-sequitur comment of the day: I am reading C. S. Lewis' space trilogy. THe first book too place on Mars. It was great. THe second took place on Venus. It was great too. So far, THe third book takes place on, of all places, Earth. Property sales, corporations and shady job offers, and profcessors hobnobbing about. DUde like how totally sleep inducing is that? He was off to such a great start. What happened, Jack??

And where is Ransom???

We return now to our standard TOlkien-oriented trains of thought.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #500
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Mellondu, for the moment, is feeling a bit, well, lonely. Aedegard, Liornung, Bella-- he misses them. So Raefindan (as Mellonin's loyal friend) has a certain, well, appeal, perhaps. Hopefully. Maybe.

lmp, if you'd like to interpret this as playing into Tharonwe's hands, it'll be eermy but it's up to you.
I'll look into it. Crazy busy today. Tomorrow looks better.

Quote:
Erebemlin ought to call an archery session soon. No shooting in the snow-- arrows get lost too easily; but draw and aim, yes.
Could you write that, Helen?

Quote:
PS what is the alt-code for AE again?

Quote:
And where is Ransom???
What, never read it before!??

Don't worry, all will "out" in the end.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #501
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

At long last, I've filled my save. I've been away so long... it feels a little rusty and weak, but I hope it will suffice.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #502
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nuru, it is good to have you back writing again. That was moving! Rather than rusty and weak, I would say it was (emotionally) raw and strong. Good stuff.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #503
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm terribly sorry that I haven't had time to write. Things have picked up yet again - I've already worked 40 hours this week and it's only Wednesday.

Unfortunately, this means that I won't be available to write for at least the next four weeks. On top of work, I have to find time for the important people in my offline life, which leaves no time to come here when I'm working 70+ hour weeks. And so, with apologies to everyone, I will have to withdraw from the story.

Best wishes to everyone, and I hope this doesn't cause too many problems.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #504
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sorry to hear that Celuien.

I hope that things settle down for you.

Take care.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #505
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Because Celuien has given fair warning earlier than her latest post, I think plans are in place to negotiate her character's departure from the rpg. We will still miss her participation.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #506
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Celuien: we will miss you; but better we should miss you than your family miss you! It is good to see that your priorities are firm; God bless you for that.

Farewell wherever you fare, and may your eyrie receive you at your journey's end.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #507
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've had a too busy week, and tomorrow morning I fly to California. I may have computer time while there, I'll have to see. I'll try to post something here today.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #508
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Just chiming in to let you know I'm alive and keeping up with the story.

We'll miss you, Celuien, but better us to miss you than your offline people.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #509
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Where to with Mellonin? SHould we rest a few days, or should she climb onto Roeryn and struggle onward? And who is going with her? Ravion & Liornung? Somebody needs to save/ rescue/ guide the stubborn, but first reckless and then helpless, girl. Nor is Avarien much of a planner. THey both need somebody with some sense. I think even the orse has more.

Mellondu may be sniffing Nimrodel's presence or he may be THaronwe's dupe--- or, perhaps, both. I think I like both best. Amroth is restless, partly because Mellondu can't figure out what to do with him, and Amroth senses a chink in the wall, and Amroth is wondering how on earth Mellondu has found something of Nimrodel's essense drifiting on the wind somewhere when he, with all his searching, could not. Maybe that's why fate led him to this particular boy. Who knows.

Anyway what's next? SHall we wake Ravion's group? WHere shall they go?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #510
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

ANd precisely what characters have we got moving forward? Somebody check me & holler if I missed someone:
Bergil
Indil
Raefindan
Aeron
Erebemlin
Mellondu / Amroth

Mellonin/ Avarien
Liornung
Ravion
Rudh
Good old Jorje
Roheryn

eeeeeeewTharonwe

Nimrodel
MIthrellas
Gwyllion

Last edited by mark12_30; 09-28-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot Gwyllion HELLO
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #511
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Helen, I'd have no objections to sending Liornung along with Mellonin. As a matter of fact, it would be nice to put him into an active role so I have something to keep me occupied. I don't want to find myself disappearing again!

lmp, when were you planning to send Leafa and Ædegard on their way back home? Liornung will need to say his proper farewells, and make sure Bella goes with them.

And, by the way, whether you're flying out this way for business or for pleasure, I hope you enjoy your stay! Whereabouts are you going to be?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #512
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
lmp, when were you planning to send Leafa and Ædegard on their way back home? Liornung will need to say his proper farewells, and make sure Bella goes with them.
You're leaving that totally up to me? How do you want to do it? I didn't feel like it was quite time for that to happen.

Quote:
And, by the way, whether you're flying out this way for business or for pleasure, I hope you enjoy your stay! Whereabouts are you going to be?
My sister lives in San Jose and promises lots of site seeing to Yosemite, San Francisco, maybe Carmel, and a few other places. Heck I just want to see her. The touring is an extra.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #513
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Helen, I'd have no objections to sending Liornung along with Mellonin. As a matter of fact, it would be nice to put him into an active role so I have something to keep me occupied. I don't want to find myself disappearing again!
Good! THis should be interesting: they are both introspective. And so is Ravion. We'll have to work hard at keeping the action moving-- too easy for them all to stop and brood! I'm glad Liorning is cheerful. I'm also quite glad Ravion and Mellonin/Avarien will have at least one chaperone.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #514
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Quote:
You're leaving that totally up to me? How do you want to do it?
Er... um... I don't know.

I'm not in a hurry to get them out of the way, and since you feel that it's not the right time yet, why don't we just let them stick around for now and see what happens?

Have a grand time with your sister, and in your touring. San Francisco and Carmel are gorgeous, and Yosemite is, well, breathtaking. If we weren't so crazily busy I'd plot to stumble across you at one of those spots.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #515
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

What needs to happen next? What is Roheryn waiting for? What do you want to happen next, Helen?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #516
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Well, folks.

I shall go straight to the point. I have decided to withdraw from the RP. Aeron is not so important and I believe Gwyllion has played her part. Please feel free to do what you will with them.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #517
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ack??? Why? I was trying to work them both in. What did I miss?

Roheryn was waiting for Avarien to call him, or for something to happen in the cottage. Or for Rugh to notice him. Or something.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #518
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The following is from a recent planning exchange between Helen and me, and we decided it's worth posting here for other active writers, especially Fea since it impacts her character plenty.

The fact of Indil/Angela complicates things for Raefindan/Imrazor rather mightily. That Fea chose that particular character was a rather powerful plot twist in its own right. Let me explain.

My theory on Roy Edwards, in terms of my own story, is that his journey into holiness results in his final disappearance from Ælde as he shifts into Eden/Paradise; at the moment of this shift, he detours into Middle Earth for this adventure of the Tapestry of Dreams. And so does Angela (which technically doesn't make sense because Indil is 7 years old and Angela has only been dead for 5 years, but we don't need to worry about that). But Roy has this amazing history he hadn't been aware of (which can remain localized to this rpg and need not enter my own story) such that he was Imrazor, and therefore partly Eldar, about to be reunited with Mithrellas! She will recognize him right off, and he will finally "get it", but Angela/Indil is right there too.

Roy will of course ask, "why?" And he will be tugged in two different directions, to what end I can't foresee yet.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #519
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ack.

My brain is melting. I should most probably wait for morning to think about this for so many reasons...

I knew that pulling your Angela into my Indil would offer plot complications for Raefindan/Imrazor, though I probably should have taken more into account your original plan for your original story. I also should admit that it's been a rather long while since I've perused your xanga account and read the work you've posted, so a lot of my ideas are pure whim with forgetfulness and lagging to account for.

I'm not sure... did I ever specify Indil's age? I know it was never solid in my mind, so I'm quite fine with negotiating it for continuity, however that might work.

Another thing, I never really meant Indil to be a main character. It just happened, the same way it tends to happen when I start writing with others. I probably should have foreseen. Since she now is, what happens to her becomes rather critical.

As a descendant of Mithrellas, she has every right to her dreams of the woman, and of Imrazor. As a human who has experienced trauma, I can explain away her nightmares and hallucinations, and the wall in her mind.

Her tie to Angela is what concerns me right now. Everything else I can shrug off and deal with, but Angela was originally yours, Elempi, and I don't want to do anything that messes with what you've got going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
She will recognize him right off, and he will finally "get it", but Angela/Indil is right there too.

Roy will of course ask, "why?" And he will be tugged in two different directions, to what end I can't foresee yet.
Would it simplify matters for we writers and add to our story (I tend to strive for both at once, if you follow) for Indil/internally-located-others to die before this Imrazor/Mithrellas reunion takes place? If so, how. If not, what do we do with the little girl.

I'll think about it more tomorrow...

Until then, sleep is so important to me...
Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #520
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Don't worry about any harmonies with my story, Fea. I consider the two things to be quite divorced, even though I can still play with the fiction that the characters are the same.

And don't let's kill of Indil! All I'm doing is thinking out loud about what this rpg promises for interesting plot twist. I'm looking forward to it. I love having characters in very complicated emotional/relational spots; it helps define them. And it's a heck of a lot of fun to figure out how to write the story into a resolution of such knots. So worry not, and let's have at it.

If you want to have Indil be 5 instead of 7, that's cool.

So far your ideas of pure whim have worked out great. I have interpreted the "opaque" part of Indil's mind to be Angela herself.

And I like it that Indil has turned into a main character.

If you write anything Angela-wise that really doesn't work, I'll let you know. That's a promise. I appreciate your sensitivity. But I'm not worried.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-06-2007 at 10:50 PM.