The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2019, 03:23 AM   #2361
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
The only chasers in middle Earth are the Nine, and the three Hunters, but you already denied the guess connected to latter, so it must be the former. Which furthers my supposition that it must be related to Frodo in some way.

Am I on right track here?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 AM   #2362
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
The only chasers in middle Earth are the Nine, and the three Hunters, but you already denied the guess connected to latter, so it must be the former. Which furthers my supposition that it must be related to Frodo in some way.

Am I on right track here?
No. Remember, the line is "lest they chase you". The subject is merely in danger of being pursued.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #2363
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe Galadriel/Haldir?

They advised the Fellowship to traverse Anduin - the greatest running water in Third Age - in hopes of outrunning Saruman's Orcs.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #2364
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pipe

No. Just to make this clear, no-one in the Fellowship is involved.

But- I just realised that G55 had guessed part of it, but not as her "official" question. Sorry- I missed that before. G55, revisit your failures and look more closely!. (or Urwen can do it, since she's around.)
Old 04-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #2365
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Boromir is in the Fellowship, and Nienor is not from the third age. That leaves the barrels.

.....Thranduil?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #2366
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Well, that's the guess I meant... but the speaker isn't Thranduil. You need to think a bit laterally here...
Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #2367
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That one barrel that smelled of apples?...
Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #2368
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
That one barrel that smelled of apples?...
Yep!

Quote:
"I hope I never smell the smell of apples again!" said Fili. "My tub was full of it. To smell apples everlastingly when you can scarcely move and are cold and sick with hunger is maddening. I could eat anything in the whole wide world now, for hours on end- but not an apple!"
And again, my apologies for not noticing before- my eye must have skipped over the "failed" guesses you mentioned.

Well done!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #2369
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm just happy I didn't forget some major event related to rivers. Will make a new one tonight.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #2370
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Another simple one:

You gaze at me
And turn to Him.
You hoped for neither.

I swallow light,
I swallow foes.
I'm not the final doom.

I serve myself.
I come and go.
I do not parley.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #2371
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Sounds like someone with an unrequited love.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #2372
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Sounds like someone with an unrequited love.
No comment

(Keep thinking)
Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #2373
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

All right. The list of people with unrequited love

Daeron, the original
Maeglin
Gwindor
Finduilas
Brandir
Ungoliant (she yearned for Silmarili)

Any of these?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #2374
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
All right. The list of people with unrequited love

Daeron, the original
Maeglin
Gwindor
Finduilas
Brandir
Ungoliant (she yearned for Silmarili)

Any of these?
None. Sorry if my last post was misleading - I just thought that guess was too general for a comment. I meant keep thinking about other possibilities.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 AM   #2375
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Hmmn. This would more-or-less fit, if not Ungoliant, then Shelob... but I suspect it's a Place or Thing rather than a Person, Beast or Monster...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #2376
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Hmmn. This would more-or-less fit, if not Ungoliant, then Shelob... but I suspect it's a Place or Thing rather than a Person, Beast or Monster...
"You hoped for neither" definitely feels like one of the instruments of suicide - but who/what? I'm wondering at Gurthang, who has the right feel for most of it, except that would make capital-Him someone like Brandir or Mablung; Turin didn't turn away from Gurthang at the end.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #2377
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
"You hoped for neither" definitely feels like one of the instruments of suicide - but who/what? I'm wondering at Gurthang, who has the right feel for most of it, except that would make capital-Him someone like Brandir or Mablung; Turin didn't turn away from Gurthang at the end.

hS
No... I thought of Gurthang too, but I don't think it fits.

What "swallows light"?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #2378
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
What "swallows light"?
Something dark .

You were on the right track with your speculation of the nature of the speaker.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #2379
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

If it isn't Gurthang, then it's its brother, Anguirel, that went away after its wielder/owner was thrown off a cliffside.....

Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #2380
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
If it isn't Gurthang, then it's its brother, Anguirel, that went away after its wielder/owner was thrown off a cliffside.....
Not a sword / weapon.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #2381
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Utumno?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #2382
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Utumno?
Does it serve itself, come and go, or fit any line except perhaps swallowing light?

If you tell me hints are in order I will specify / clarify some things.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #2383
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I'd say they're needed, but others might disagree.

Ungoliant fits, but you said no to her.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #2384
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Wait. How about Caragdur/Amon Gwareth? It's described as 'dark' and it brought death to two different characters. (Yeah, I am obsessed....)

Alternatively, it could be Cabed-En-Aras/Cabed Naeramarth, the cliff Nienor threw herself from.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #2385
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Okay... 2 hints to speed it up:

1. It's not a First Age thing.
2. "He" is described as part of the final doom, whereas the main subject of the riddle is not (though by rights could have been named such as much as He was.)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #2386
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The thing that keeps coming and going and didn't exist in the first age?

The only thing that fits both of these criteria is the One Ring. It is described as 'having a will of its own' which is to return to Sauron. It is also proven to abandon people.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #2387
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
The only thing that fits both of these criteria is the One Ring. It is described as 'having a will of its own' which is to return to Sauron. It is also proven to abandon people.
Good thought, but no. For the record, it only really comes and goes once, it doesn't do as many repeats as the Ring. Also, don't get fixated on objects.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #2388
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Good thought, but no. For the record, it only really comes and goes once, it doesn't do as many repeats as the Ring. Also, don't get fixated on objects.

Well, places don't generally come and go, and you don't do people very often....

Old 04-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #2389
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Hmmmm.....maybe Guilduin? It is a river, therefore, it is moving, and I suppose it could swallow the light too....

Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #2390
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, places don't generally come and go, and you don't do people very often....
Well, I gotta keep you on your toes, right? Never exclude a category because this just might be the exception.

But no, It's not a person, and while it's not exactly a place it could be thought of as such.

Not a river.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:40 AM   #2391
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, I'm now thinking islands, so:

NUMENOR. The Edain (and specifically Ar-Pharazon) considers Numenor, but turns to Melkorism, while longing for the Undying Lands. The island ultimately destroyed the light it was given, while its people overwhelmed all their foes, and its Downfall is not the End of Days. Numenor as a kingdom is its own master, which does not bargain with its enemies - and yeah, it comes, and goes.

Or...

FASTITOCALON, for basically the same reasons. ^_^ "Ah! foolish folk, who land on HIM!"

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #2392
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not an island - but another good idea.

Think of this. Places and things that define places usually can't come and go. Numenor can be explained that way, but the answer is inland. What else cqme and went, unexpectedly?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #2393
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Balrog of Moria certainly came and went unexpectedly.

So did Shelob.

And neither one is technically a person.....

Or Watcher in the Water, who swallowed the light by shutting it out via door drop, and nearly swallowed Frodo.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #2394
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Balrog of Moria certainly came and went unexpectedly.

So did Shelob.

And neither one is technically a person.....

Or Watcher in the Water, who swallowed the light by shutting it out via door drop, and nearly swallowed Frodo.
I told you it's more of a place than an individual creature by any name. Not a person or person-like thing.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #2395
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Also, think of when parley could have been happening.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #2396
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I am running out of ideas.

Barad-Dur?

Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #2397
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Barad-Dur?
No. You want something with a will of its own, not something with Sauron's will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
I am running out of ideas.
Ok. How about: come and go means it comes to a different location, not just appears and disappears on the time scale? What is a feature of a place/setting that unexpectedly changes LOCATION?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #2398
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I can't seem to recall any such place in Tolkien Legendarium.....

Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #2399
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Forest of Fangorn?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #2400
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Forest of Fangorn?
Very very close. Be a little more specific.