The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #2121
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Makes me think of Mirror of Galadriel.
Correct!

Care to explain?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #2122
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, in the words of the owner, it lets you see things that were, things that are, and some things that may yet come to pass. The future it shows may never come to pass unless the future is prevented by the viewer in the first place.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 03-25-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #2123
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, since Galadriel55 isn't here and already said I am correct, I might as well continue

Come to me, the eldest one
Come to my land
Come to my domain
Where you and your kin dared to tread

Come to me, the third one
Bearer of your grandfather's name
You and your kin sought the treasure
Which was your father's claim to fame

You were captured
Trapped on the mountain high
And while you were saved
It came at a price

Old 03-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #2124
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Well, in the words of the owner, it lets you see things that were, things that are, and some things that may yet come to pass. The future it shows may never come to pass unless the future is prevented by the viewer in the first place.
Indeed, it lets you do all that, on the condition that you don't touch the water.

Your riddle makes me think about Dwarves for some reason.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #2125
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nope, not a dwarf, mwahahaha!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #2126
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well the other thing with a ring is Maedhros. He's the eldest of Feanor's sons, who sought the Silmarils which are Feanor's famous creation. He was captured and trapped on a mountain and lost a hand in his escape. But I don't get the Grandfather thing. And the first stanza sounds like it's the earth itself speaking, Beleriand or ME perhaps - calling Maedhros into the cracks to his death, on the land to which the Noldor dared come in defiance of the Valar.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 AM   #2127
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Agree with Maedhros; his Father-name was Nelyafinwe, 'Third Finwe', because the House of Finwe has seriously messed-up naming patterns (Finwe originally named each of his sons simply 'Finwe', and then added adjectives to them when he thought of them - so Finwe Feanaro became Curufinwe, 'skilled Finwe', who himself continued the pattern by naming every single one of his sons 'something-Finwe'. Curufin is literally named after him. I am genuinely shocked to find that Celebrimbor is his son's Father-name - I assumed Curufin would have stuck to the pattern.).

If the speaker isn't Middle-earth itself, it could be Morgoth, probably about the time of the Nirnaeth, since it post-dates Maedhros' capture and release, and that's the next time he tries to attack Angband. Failing that, Thingol claimed Beleriand as his land, and knew Finwe, so would be expected to describe Maedhros with reference to him. In that case it would be less an invitation, more a prophecy - for, after Thingol's death, Maedhros did enter his lands... for the Second Kinslaying.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #2128
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Well the other thing with a ring is Maedhros. He's the eldest of Feanor's sons, who sought the Silmarils which are Feanor's famous creation. He was captured and trapped on a mountain and lost a hand in his escape. But I don't get the Grandfather thing. And the first stanza sounds like it's the earth itself speaking, Beleriand or ME perhaps - calling Maedhros into the cracks to his death, on the land to which the Noldor dared come in defiance of the Valar.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:11 AM   #2129
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Agree with Maedhros; his Father-name was Nelyafinwe, 'Third Finwe', because the House of Finwe has seriously messed-up naming patterns (Finwe originally named each of his sons simply 'Finwe', and then added adjectives to them when he thought of them - so Finwe Feanaro became Curufinwe, 'skilled Finwe', who himself continued the pattern by naming every single one of his sons 'something-Finwe'. Curufin is literally named after him. I am genuinely shocked to find that Celebrimbor is his son's Father-name - I assumed Curufin would have stuck to the pattern.).

If the speaker isn't Middle-earth itself, it could be Morgoth, probably about the time of the Nirnaeth, since it post-dates Maedhros' capture and release, and that's the next time he tries to attack Angband. Failing that, Thingol claimed Beleriand as his land, and knew Finwe, so would be expected to describe Maedhros with reference to him. In that case it would be less an invitation, more a prophecy - for, after Thingol's death, Maedhros did enter his lands... for the Second Kinslaying.

hS

I am a bit of First Age afficionado. It's way more interesting than Third Age, or Second Age (even though it gave us Tar-Miriel). Most of my favorites lived in the First Age too.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 AM   #2130
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Actually, Huinesoron explained the riddle better, so maybe the turn should go to him.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #2131
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Gotta leave for work, will write something when I return.

Urwen, can you confirm the speaker?

Quote:
I am a bit of First Age afficionado. It's way more interesting than Third Age, or Second Age (even though it gave us Tar-Miriel). Most of my favorites lived in the First Age too.
First Age has a charm of its own, and I'm a fan. Third Age too. Second Age though is not a favourite. Meh, we all have something that resonates more.

Edit - cross-posted with the last. By all means!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 AM   #2132
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Gotta leave for work, will write something when I return.

Urwen, can you confirm the speaker?

First Age has a charm of its own, and I'm a fan. Third Age too. Second Age though is not a favourite. Meh, we all have something that resonates more.

Edit - cross-posted with the last. By all means!

Sure. It's Morgoth.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeP6rrm1lt0)

Old 03-26-2019, 04:44 AM   #2133
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Actually, Huinesoron explained the riddle better, so maybe the turn should go to him.
No, no, it definitely goes to Galadriel55. But to tide you over until she returns from work, I'll offer up a non-riddling riff on the marvel that is William McGonagall's The Tay Bridge Disaster.

Quote:
Beautiful star-domed Bridge of Osgiliath!
Alas! I am very sorry it hath
Collapsed into Anduin from the Usurper's wrath
In 1437, it was quite a bloodbath
Which will be remember'd in the long aftermath.

As soon as the catastrophe came to be known
The alarm from mouth to mouth was blown,
And the cry rang out all o’er the town,
Good Heavens! Osgiliath Bridge is blown down,
And the great Palantir of Elendil,
Which King Eldacar's heart with sorrow did fill,
Has sunk into the waters white,
Oh! What a terrible and truly awful sight
Has befallen Osgiliath in 1437's bloodbath,
Which will be remember'd in the long aftermath.

It must have been an awful sight,
To witness in the dusky moonlight,
When the Usurper did rage, and angry did laugh
And burned the piers of the Bridge of Osgiliath
Oh! Ill-fated Bridge of Osgiliath grey
I must now conclude my lay
By telling the world fearlessly without the least dismay,
That your central pillars would not have given way,
At least many sensible men do say,
Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed.
I am so very sorry. ^_^

(I confess to being another First Age fan. I've always felt that Tolkien's heart was more in Beleriand than in the lands that came after. Plus, elves are more interesting than diminutive rural English folk... >: D)

hS
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #2134
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
No, no, it definitely goes to Galadriel55. But to tide you over until she returns from work, I'll offer up a non-riddling riff on the marvel that is William McGonagall's The Tay Bridge Disaster.

I am so very sorry. ^_^

(I confess to being another First Age fan. I've always felt that Tolkien's heart was more in Beleriand than in the lands that came after. Plus, elves are more interesting than diminutive rural English folk... >: D)

hS

What do you think of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4D4JwvGn-E

I think this is pretty well-made song

Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #2135
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Still waiting

Old 03-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #2136
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

hS
The one reason why LOTR is still, just, my favourite is the character of Frodo. I love the elvishness in LOTR - always did - but now I wish there was more of it. But then, my favourite character is a very *elvish* hobbit. I'd also describe myself as a hobbit with a strong dash of elf.

The earlier lands attract me more nowadays than the Third Age ones too ... although I do love the Shire.

I always found Rohan and Gondor a bit of a bore, if I'm honest.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 03-26-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #2137
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

From the third age, I love Frodo and Eowyn, and that's about it.

Also, still waiting for the new riddle....

Old 03-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #2138
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Also, still waiting for the new riddle....
Oi! People get 10 days to write a new question. You don't give me 10 hours!
Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #2139
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Oi! People get 10 days to write a new question. You don't give me 10 hours!

Well, the 10 day rule isn't followed either, considering that people have protested me taking over even after 10 days have passed in the past.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #2140
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

A title to three:
One justly named,
One falsely named,
The last for the first.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #2141
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, the 10 day rule isn't followed either, considering that people have protested me taking over even after 10 days have passed in the past.
So the solution is to shorten the time to less than a single day?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #2142
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:

I am merely saying that it should apply for everyone, and that people should quit protesting when I take advantage of it.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #2143
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The Golden, a title shared by Glaurung, Smaug and Pharazon?

Last edited by Urwen; 03-26-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #2144
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I think we're all just really excited to have two! whole! active! threads! on the Downs.

As for the riddle... Urwen's mention of Ar-Pharazon gets me thinking about Ar-Adunakhor, who took the title 'Lord of the West' in reference to Manwe. But I don't think there's a third instance (or second, if Adunakhor is the third).

I don't believe any of the various kings and stewards hit a 'the Third'.

(I quite like 'the Golden', for the record, but I figured it was worth another guess... )

hS
Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #2145
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I think we're all just really excited to have two! whole! active! threads! on the Downs.
I know! Like I actually have to check the subforum and not simply click on the most recent thread linked on the main page.

I'm afraid neither title is the one I'm looking for. I can see how Lord of the West works for "justly" and "falsely", but the Golden characters don't really match the description. Before you go digging, it's not anything obscure.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #2146
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

'The Old' then?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #2147
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nope.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:58 AM   #2148
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The Faithful?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #2149
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nope. More obvious than that.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 AM   #2150
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The Fair?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #2151
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

No. I realize the riddle is somewhat vague, but there are descriptions that match the title holders. Can you match them to the specific individuals with your titles?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 AM   #2152
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, I could have matched holders of 'The Old' title, but you said no to that.

Anyway, my last guess is 'The White', otherwise I'm clueless.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #2153
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

An oddball guess: 'Greenleaf', as the original and Fourth Age names of Mirkwood (the latter being named for the former), and in between, of an elf lad who did not have green leaves.

Also wondering about 'Lorien': the forest in Aman, the Vala, and our Lothlorien. The Vala of Dreams is only named Lorien after his home, so 'falsely' kind of applies.

hS
Old 03-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #2154
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Still no answer.

I was thinking about what hints can help you without giving it away. It's a title. Say it aloud if it helps.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #2155
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Still no answer.

I was thinking about what hints can help you without giving it away. It's a title. Say it aloud if it helps.

Oh, you mean, it's not a title of a person, but rather a title of a book?

And the only book which pertains to 'three' is CoH.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #2156
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nope.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #2157
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Then what are you getting at? An anagram? A homophone?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #2158
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Lord of the Rings ... applied to Sauron, Frodo (wrongly) * and the book, in reference to Sauron?

* By Pippin in Rivendell, after his recovery.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 03-27-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #2159
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
The Lord of the Rings ... applied to Sauron, Frodo (wrongly) and the book, in reference to Sauron?
Well done! A perfect explanation. Over to you.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #2160
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I got it right? Cool!

Unhappy once, I now am blessed.
Whate'er you think, I do not jest!
Since friendship is a gift divine
I dwindle, but I do not pine.