User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2004, 01:17 PM   #81
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
ArwenBaggins - Please check your PMs.

rutslegolas - Thank you for humoring me and editing the post.

Quote:
Regin Hardhammer and Witch_Queen, we have a small conflict in ages. Both of the Chubb children are a little older, and I would like to keep them that way for reasons that will be clearer down the road. Would you both mind raising your characters' ages? For May to be 27, your characters should be at least 60. If there is a problem, and you think it would change your characters' personalities or anything else, pm me and we'll discuss it.
Witch_Queen - I've noticed that you still have not done this. I thought maybe you just didn't catch it, or forgot, so I brought it forward.

Everyone - I am putting a SAVE on the game thread for Marcho. I planned on getting the post up today, but I have Real Life issue that is pulling me away for the rest of the day. I will get it up first thing tomorrow.

I will have Marcho stopping for a break, and most likely entertaining the idea of leaving the crotchety old hobbit behind. Not seriously, of course. So, the hobbits will be breaking for the next few posts.

Have fun, and I'll let Child know I'm not here, if you need her.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #82
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Watch who you're calling crotchety, or you'll be feeling the business end of a certain sturdy cane!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #83
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

*bets on Fordim* FIGHT FIGHT!

I think I'm going to put up another post for Crispin. While he's all up and excited about exploring like they are, he's a little upset he didn't do anything to try and get Iris to come with him. Maybe he likes Iris as much as she likes him... ?

~Fëa
Old 03-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #84
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Oooh controversy....(not really)

Soon enough I'll put up a post with general characters interaction and Kalimac thinking about making the offer to the Chubbs. That's being typed up, but may be altered by future posts by 'family members.' If there is any on-the-road interaction, I'll respond to that first. Like Kalimac discussing the move with his wife, possibly explaining his decision to Alora, or just mulling about what to do with Crispin.

Another question: How exactly do the Chubb children feel about the Whitfoots as a family. Would one of them (my money's one May) be a aggressively reluctant or irritated at being offered any such job?

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #85
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Just a quick question for all the other Chubbs:
Do you find Sarah to be evil or something?
It just seems it. The only one I have noticed that doesn't have a dislike for her is Henry and Harold.

alaklondewen I edited Sarah's age. I think her age a little better. Sorry didn't catch it earlier.

Ok back to the drawing board.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #86
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Eye

I have filled in my SAVE, and Marcho and Estella are breaking with the Whitfoots.

Thanks Witch_Queen for changing Sarah's age.

I'm looking forward to the next few post...keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #87
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield Very good to see

Forgive late congratulations about starting your game, Alak. I have little time online to spare and so I could not join but I shall try to keep up with reading it.

Bethberry
Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #88
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Poor Witch_Queen!!

For what it's worth, I think Sarah is lovely -- Fordogrim, on the other hand, will need a bit more convincing. . .he doesn't hate her, but he does, perhaps, resent her somewhat for 'coming between' he and his son. Harold is a lot like his mother Primrose, so after her death, Harold is all that Fordogrim has to remember his wife by. Sarah is NOTHING like Prim, which so far as Fordogrim is concerned, is a bad thing.

Needless to say, he has never said any of this aloud -- I rather doubt he's even been able to articulate it to himself yet. All he knows is he blames Sarah for what's "wrong" with the family, and all Sarah knows is that Fordogrim has never been overly fond of her.

He is ALWAYS civil, if gruff, with her (although given the strains of the journey, that might soon change. . .)

Hint: he respects strength of character and strong convictions; so if Sarah wants to confront him at some point, well, he can take care of himself. . .

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 03-10-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #89
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Help needed...

I seem to be the one who is in the "middle" between these two women: a wife on one side and a mother on the other. And even though Prim is technically dead, she is pretty alive and active in this game.

Any chance I could get clarification on what my mom was like? I don't want to be thinking about her in a way that wouldn't be true to character. Just what was she like?

Did Grandpa dislike my "sweet Sarah" from the very beginning, or did that come about after a little spell of time when he saw Harold paying "too much attention" to his wife?

It almost sounds like I am on the hot seat in the middle here!

Regin
Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #90
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
I feel sorry for Harold already?

Its ok Regin the way I see it is that Harold is so blind by his love for Sarah that he can't see that going on this "trip" is almost ripping his family apart. Oh how I do feel sorry for him. Any ways... I think it will take some time for Sarah to see the mistake she has made in wanting to leave to start out with. Pat the hobbit. Never mind that.

Ok I find nothing wrong with Harold being like his mother. I find it sweet that he is like is mother. It would be seriously. But I believe I will end up having Sarah confront Grandpa Chubb about his dislike for her later. It will be ok I think. Is being in the middle always a bad thing? Well never mind it is when the people are fighting but this time it isn't. I don't think he hated Sarah from the beginning. But that is just a thought. I'll be jumping now.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #91
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Forgive late congratulations about starting your game, Alak. I have little time online to spare and so I could not join but I shall try to keep up with reading it.
Bethberry, thank you so much. I hope you will enjoy the adventure as much as we will.

Melisil - Please check your PMs.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #92
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Man! I have to develop two characters now??

Good questions Regin. As to what Prim was like -- I honestly hadn't really put any thought into it. As I have announced that she is like Harold, I will leave it to you to decide what she was like, insofar as her character will be defined by his character.

My sense of her, though, is that she was sweet tempered, quiet, thoughtful, and -- given that she loved and lived with Fordogrim -- had the patience of a (extremely patient) saint!

As to Fordogrim's attitude toward Sarah: I'm afraid that he has probably never been too fond of her, but that this has become worse over the years.

And Witch_Queen: 'ray for Sarah standing up for herself (eventually -- we don't want to rush this: it's a long way to the White Downs).
Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #93
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye Re: Very good to see

Quote:

Bethberry:
Thank you!

Everyone:
Crispin's post is up! His feelings about Iris have been revealed!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:26 AM   #94
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
my post is up about me and bolco.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #95
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Fordim: Perhaps over the journey Grandpa Chubb could loose some of his hate towards Sarah. Its just a thought I could be wrong. It would be good I think if I had Sarah realize the pain she is being. Just let me know. You could almost say that Sarah is stubborn.

Regin: It will be fine. I'm beginning to understand that Grandpa doesn't like Sarah because she is so different from Prim. At least that is how it sounds. I think by the end everything will have smoothed over.

Ok well Sarah's post is up. Don't be surprised if she is talking to the chickens. She's not going crazy she just needed someone to talk to. After all chickens can't go around telling what they are told. All they do is Cluck!

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 03-11-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #96
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Oh dear, poor Sarah. . .of all the people to catch her in converse with the chickens!

The Family Chubb seems to be a rather fragmentary (and disappearing!) lot at the moment. Henry has gone off to eat with a friend, but May and Harold seem to have disappeared entirely from the cart. Hmmm. . .

If either Memory or Regin wish for me to amend my post to include their presence at the cart I am more than happy to do so. Otherwise, please let me and Witch_Queen know where you are!

For what it's worth, I think a nice little family Luncheon would be a good idea right about now. I bet that Sarah would be VERY happy to have someone else in the cart with her other than her father-in-law. . .
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #97
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I agree, Poor Sarah...that Fordogrim can be a real stinker! The posts are great, and I am very pleased at how this is coming so far.

Kransha - I moved Kalimac to a lunching location, if that's alright. If you would like him somewhere else, I will be happy to edit.

This will be a short break, so be prepared for a quick moving. I don't think Marcho will let them sit for long.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #98
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

YES! Sarah would enjoy someone else there besides the old fart. Plus she's going to get tired of talking to the chicken. It can be boring after a while let me tell you. I know from experience.... NOT Really!

I wish I knew where Sarah's husband and daughter was. It would make everything better. Just let me know. Sarah can't go around talking to chickens for forever.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #99
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Oh my goodness! I really messed up, didn't I? I am terribly sorry, you guys. With help from Cami, I have drastically edited my post, although I must say, it doesn't sound quite as nice as the original one did.

While I'm here, I might as well ask...

Can you guys give me pointers on dialogue? I'm sort of a dialogue addict, and my writing falls to peices without it. What if I want to carry a conversation on with someone? Do I have to do it line by line? I know I should just summarize, but all mine sound awful that way.

I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you. I'll try to do better next time.

memory
Old 03-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #100
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Check your PM's please

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-11-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #101
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Fordo, Sarah,

I'm on the way! I've put up a save.

Regin
Old 03-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #102
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kal (as I've decided to abbreviate) is now lunching with Marcho and both families. Now, I have a 'reply' post ready, but, if you don't mind, I think I'll wait until Child of the 7th Age has filled that save (don't think I didn't see that, HAHA!). I suppose it'll be easier to know what we're all dealing with in terms of the first journey surprise. What did it say, now? Something about and uninvited guest....hmmm....(darnit, I'm just too precise, I noticed that immediately and I've ruined all the fun of being surprised by it)

Old 03-11-2004, 05:01 PM   #103
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
my late replies..

to everyone: a sorry in advance, for I am in 3 rpgs right now. I may not post very often, but I will at every chance I get! again sorry for that..
Old 03-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #104
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Memory of Trees - Frankly, I don't think you need to depend on dialogue as much as you may think you do. I've reread your edited post, and I think it is a stronger post without the added conversation. Of course, dialogue is important as our characters are bound to communicate with one another. If you come to a post where you want to interact with another character, read through the character's bio and the author's prior posts. I know it takes a little time, but I do this constantly. This way you are less likely to make mistakes with the other characters. You will become more comfortable with the boundaries as you write more. I hope this helps some. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

I will give a little time for reaction to the "uninvited guest" and then I will have Marcho get us back on the road. Should be interesting...
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 AM   #105
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Harold Chubb

I filled in my post. Witch Queen, I hope you like topaz.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #106
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

regin do you think that henry should be around the family or with bolco(his friend)???
Old 03-12-2004, 07:26 AM   #107
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Time of year?

Something I've been meaning to ask: what time of year is this story set in? I had assumed it to be spring, in order to give the settler hobbits the summer to build shelters and grow crops against winter, but the (wonderfully well-written) vixen has been feasting on "berries, grass and apples" which would seem to indicate that we are actually at the end of summer (with the berries and grasses) or even early fall (apples)!!

Believe it or not, but this is actually quite important for me to know when writing for Fordogrim. . .for reasons that will become clear (I hope) when (or if) he reaches the White Downs.

And one more thing. Regin has Harold lamenting that he will once again be handing money and rent over to the Whitfoots once the hobbits resettle -- but is that how a settlement would be? I had rather assumed that just like the North American west, the land is there "for the taking" (without, of course, and Native American/Middle-Earthians for the hobbits to steal it from!), in which case the Chubbs can just set up shop on their own, with their own land. . .right? or not?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #108
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

i would also like to know alak whether henry has a dislike towards his grandfaher??? because he hates sarah his mother???
Old 03-12-2004, 09:08 AM   #109
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin it's beautiful. Don't worry ruts I think the entire fued between Grandpa and Sarah is almost over. Though I like the fact that Grandpa is now seeing what his daughter-in-law is like.

I find it sweet... OK! OH I dislike that vixen stealing the only chicken I had left. The other two chickens already have names. Don't ask me what they are but I think they have names. Grandpa Chubb is brave I have to say that, but I'm glad May is going to "smooth" eveything over between her and Sarah. Now lets just hope Grandpa doesn't hold grudges.

Fordogrim I almost wanted to laugh when the old geyser fell down. Its funny I have to hand it to you. Hopefully he won't have anything against Sarah beign conserned about him falling.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #110
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

First of all, great posts! If any of you have small children, you will understand when I say "That sneaky fox tried to swipe our stuff!" Thanks, Child, for the appearance of the little vixen...I hope her little ones enjoy that chicken.

rutslegolas - I, personally, don't see a reason why Henry would dislike his grandfather, unless you feel Henry should feel that way. Many families have issues between in-laws, and it seems the Chubbs are one of those families. Just remember Fordogrim is still his grandfather, and there can be a special relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren.

Fordim - I have meant for the journey to take place in mid to late spring. The weather should be getting increasingly warmer, and it would allow more time for the hobbits to settle before winter approaches. I think we should keep it this way.

With regards to the dealing out of land...I want both families to assume things will stay the same between them. Otherwise, the Chubbs would be eager to go, with the exception of Fordogrim. We need the conflict between the families to be this way. However as the game progresses and the hobbits come closer to their new home, revelations made be made and things may work out for the Chubbs afterall. Until then, assume the Chubbs will be working the Whitfoot's land as usual.

Regin - What a sweet, tender-hearted hobbit that Harold is! Very nice.

Oh, and I hope Grandpa Fordo didn't break a hip. Can you imagine having to haul him around the rest of the trip?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #111
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Let's see.....

Will it work if I edit out the apples, and leave the berries and grass for the fox to eat? Presumably we wouldn't get apples till the fall, but the others would grow in the spring.

I'll go ahead and do that. But if anyone has other suggestions/information here, let me know.

Cami
Old 03-12-2004, 02:28 PM   #112
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thanks, Child.

Memory of Trees - Nice post, however, it's Grandpa Fordo, not Forgo.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #113
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Hey, I don't know -- I kind of like Grandpa Forgo (sounds like a contraction of FordoGrim). And it would make sense that Mayflower had a 'special' name for Fordogrim, if they are indeed somewhat closer to one another.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #114
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:
Just so you know, I will be gone this weekend and Monday. Feel free to carry Crispin and his love for Iris along.

~Fëa
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #115
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

In my post, Marcho is discussing the route with several male hobbits. I only named Fredigar and Ponto, but if Kransha and Regin want Kalimac and Harold to be there it will work. It might be interesting for the fathers to hear someone call the forest "unnatural"...planting little seeds of curiosity. You might have either or both of them telling their wives about what Fred said, and the children overhear.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #116
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien Shire Map

Bree to Shire Map

I want to bring this map forward. If you look at the area around Bree, the group is travelling northwest at the moment. They are still in the first cluster of hills just outside of Bree. I'm estimating that they've traveled around 5 or 6 miles.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #117
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Did I really write Forgo? Sorry! But if you really don't mind, Fordim Hedgethistle, I like the idea of May having a special name for her grandpa. Since they are so close in temperament, I'd like them to be especially close. We'll just pretend that May made the name up when she was little. I'll have to stick that in somewhere...

Hey rutslegolas - I have a question about Henry's age. From his profile, I imagined him to be older (mid-teens, maybe), but in your posts he appears to act younger than that. The only reason I need to know is that I'm not sure how May should think of him; more of a friend, or just a little brother.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #118
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Volunteers

I think it's pretty obvious the group is going to be dealing with the Old Forest at their first camp. I need volunteers to help Marcho gather wood for a large communal fire. If you are interested let me know ahead of time as I will be putting in my post who is going into the forest with Marcho. Anyone who wants to come may.

Just a thought, this might be a good time for Kalimac and Elsa to ask for help with the kids. It could also be fun if after May and Henry are ordered to babysit they take Crispin and Alora into the forest for a bit of exploring.

If there are any other ideas, let me know. We are a ways away still, so there is still planning time.

~*~*~*~

Just bringing this forward:

Approved Carry-Alongs

Ponto Bracegirdle - A young Bree merchant who hopes to gain business by losing his competition and having new trade with Elves and Men. Newly married to the young Belba Banks.

Ruby Hornblower and her two small children are leaving Bree after her husband was killed in a farming accident. She is being pressured by the Big Folk to sell her land, and she is finally giving in.

Fredigar Headstrong is a local deputy in Bree, who hopes he can organize the new law once they arrive at the White Downs. This hobbit is known for being rash in his decisions.

Ferdibrand Boffin, his wife, Peony, and their eight children are leaving their small house in town in hopes of finding land large enough for their still growing family.

Boffin children:
  • Lilac, girl, 20

Bolco, boy, 19

Nick, boy, 13

Daisy, girl, 12

Rose, girl, 9

Hob, 7

Opal, 6

Edmund, 3
Old 03-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #119
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Kalimac may volunteer, but I'm not sure.

On the subject of baby-sitting, Kal just posed the question to Elsa. Regardless of her response, he'll still probably bring up the issue with the Chubbs. He'll approach Harold at the camp when Henry and May are near enough to hear and then, well, you get the idea.

I wonder how Kalimac and Elsa will react to that 'bit of exploring' you mentioned. I know Kalimac won't be too happy about it if he finds out.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #120
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
I have put up a post for Elsa responding to the babysitting question. She agrees, but not very happily.

Quote:
It could also be fun if after May and Henry are ordered to babysit they take Crispin and Alora into the forest for a bit of exploring.
Ooh, I do feel sorry for them if this is the case. Elsa shant be pleased.