The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420! The Tolkien Birthday Toast

9pm, 3rd January. Don't forget.

You are kindly requested to grab a glass of your favourite tipple and raise a toast to "The Professor!".

And you may see more on the Tolkien Society page - maybe even add what you'll be drinking here.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Are we supposed to raise it 9 pm GMT or 9 pm the current british time or 9 pm our own time?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
At your local time, I believe!

Thus avoiding the risk of people raising a glass of porter at 11am during a business meeting or a class in Chemistry. Of course, this means the Prof could get 24 lots of toasts in one day...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Today's the day - Tolkien's birthday! Happy Birthday to our favourite author!

Will you be joining in the toast? I plan to raise a glass of champagne at 9pm CET this evening. As Lal says, the toast is meant to take place at your local time; the drink is your choice and need not be alcoholic.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
Happy Eleventy-fifth, Professor Tolkien!

It is precisely 9 PM here! Cheers, Professor!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien

I didn't have any champagne but I make a toast for Tolkien with some beer...guess that's ok too, even though it's not really my favourite

An interesting fact- if the Professor had still been alive today, he would have been 115, that's as long as Erendis was Queen of Numenor
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It was a nice site you linked Lalwendë!

Cheers! or "kippis"...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Pipe Exactly 9pm my time!!

To the professor! Cheers
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, it's 9pm here, so... Happy Birthday Mr. Tolkien!

Cheers! *sips imaginary champagne*
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Happy Birthday, Professor Tolkien!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Due to my busy (read: Not very busy) schedule, all I had to hand at 9:00 yesterday was a glass of coke. It was a really nice glass though, and that's what counts.
Now, when is Christopher Tolkien's birthday?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

To the Master, I raised a pint of "Fursty Ferret", a superb ale.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Once again it's Tolkien's birthday - I hope many members will join me and Tolkien fans all over the world in toasting the man who brought us here!

At 9 pm this evening, I will raise my glass of bubbly to the Professor.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh, I missed it by almost a couple of hours, but better late than never!

*raises a glass of water to the Professor*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

You could ignore official advice and do it at 9pm GMT anyway - as I think this is much nicer and then everyone globally will be doing it at the same time, and not just little groups of folk at verious 9pms

In which case everyone can join in, though they may have missed the official time
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420! To the Professor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Once again it's Tolkien's birthday - I hope many members will join me and Tolkien fans all over the world in toasting the man who brought us here!

At 9 pm this evening, I will raise my glass of bubbly to the Professor.
Well, I'm a wee bit late as 'tis 3:28 here and we've been all a-gog over the announcement of the new Doctor Who.

Pity we didn't plan a chat to celebrate. We should, one of these years.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Professor!

Better late than never, though I toasted on The Tolkien Society site earlier.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Bah! The professor would have loathed a Mordorian contraption such as universal timezone synchronisation! Might as well live under the black cloud of Mordor as toast him at 9:00 Greenwich time!

At least, that's my excuse... at 9:00 Greenwich time I was in nothing resembling a toasting mood or time of day.

But at 9:00 more locally, I was drinking an English beer and reading aloud "The Grey Company" and "The Muster of Rohan" and having a grand time.

Here's to the Professor's 117th! (1892-2009 DOES make 117, right? The whole fact that this isn't 2008 anymore had me confused...)
Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Here's to the Professor's 117th! (1892-2009 DOES make 117, right? The whole fact that this isn't 2008 anymore had me confused...)
Yes, that was my conclusion. It was the first time I'd had to use the figure "2009" in any computation.

I had an import beer and watched ice hockey (a sport our good Professor would have loved were he born Canadian). However, compared to your verbal oration of favourite chapters, I feel like a deadbeat Tolkienite. I shall make amends by pouring over The Two Towers before bed.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #20
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I was in an 'on call' status with my employer, and regrettably was unable to toast the Professor with my drink of choice. Perhaps next year's timing will be kinder.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Here's to you Prof

Well Happy New Year everyone,

As its the 3rd of Jan, remember we have another anniversary to celebrate, JRR Tolkien's birthday.

Apparently a toast at 9pm local time is the thing,

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good thing you just posted here, I would have otherwise totally forgotten this, I'll definitely get a beer at 10 PM CET.

Maybe we could do this in our Barrow chat?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420! The Professor!

Thank you, sir, for giving us your world to dream of!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
1420! The Professor

A virtual toast to The Professor!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Same procedure as every year, James!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Now if only I'll be able to get my mother, my brother, and my cousin to toast with me. . .
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Now if only I'll be able to get my mother, my brother, and my cousin to toast with me. . .
Never mind, you've got us to toast with!
*clinks tankards with TGEW*

The Professor! Cheers, slainte, nazdraví, prost, whatever it is in Quenya and Sindarin!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
And once again, I am denied my preferred beverage due to my on-call status. A glass of milk, it is.

*toasts*
Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Happy Toast

Happy New Year All,

and a toast to the Prof of course. Last night I may have toasted to some excess, so today my toast will be coffee!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #30
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Never mind, you've got us to toast with!
*clinks tankards with TGEW*
Oh wonderful, but it's not that time yet here, and unfortunately I missed 21.00 GMT. So I have to do it later.

*clinks with you anyway*
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #31
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Several days too late, but better late than never. Belated cheers to the Professor!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Tomorrow's the Professor's 120th birthday, so be sure you have your favourite drink in the house, or meet with friends at a nice place, so you can toast the man without whom we'd never have met!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I will be starting a new job tomorrow so will undoubtedly give my toast over coffee. Can't think of a nicer way to remember a hire date!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Galadriel55 and I will not only be toasting The Professor tomorrow, but we shall be having our own mini-moot and toasting together!

Congratulations on the new job, Hilde!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #35
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Galadriel55 and I will not only be toasting The Professor tomorrow, but we shall be having our own mini-moot and toasting together!
Can't imagine better way of celebrating The Prof's birthday

I have to see yet what I am going to toast with, but since I've been keeping this tradition carefully for several years (I believe since this thread was started), I'll make sure to toast The Prof even this year.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle View Post
I will be starting a new job tomorrow so will undoubtedly give my toast over coffee. Can't think of a nicer way to remember a hire date!
Good luck!!!! I shall think of you too - it will probably be with a G&T.. I have an African inspired gin that will be a nod to Tolkien's birthplace.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #37
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Happy New Year All, and Cheers! to the Prof!!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #38
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've done this with Bethberry earlier today, and I'm doing it once again with all of you.

The Professor! Happy eleventy-tenth, Mr. Tolkien! Many people including myself were inspired by your work, and this is the day we make ourselves remember this. Thank you!

And happy new year everyone!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
The Professor!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's coming! Don't miss it!