Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #2081
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Fea, is that a request?
Yes'm. If it's something that interests you.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #2082
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Well, as soon as Wynflaed gets word...
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #2083
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Oh my!

We seem to be sitting on a barrel of black powder - and everyone sitting on it is smoking!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #2084
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wonderful mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Mnemosyne, you are right - they would not go directly to Athanar or his wife, but they might go to Saeryn, and very probably go to Thornden.
Indeed that is what would make sense - but if he was the one to come there, wouldn't it be even a bit... well, worse? "Why are you plotting something with Thornden?" - "Look, they are attacking Lithor! Can you tell what they are saying?" "No, I can't hear the words. But let's bring help somewhere, quick!" "Master Thornden!" - "So what's going on here?" "HA! Criminal returns to the place of crime! The second conspirator is here!"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #2085
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Legate, that would be very interesting indeed...but that would cut out the plans for Mnemosyne's character. Besides, I think it'd be more interesting with Wynflaed stepping in.

Hm....I was going to post all the way to the point where the boys tell Thornden. But then I decided that since Lommy and Groin did not have the confrontation worked up to any heat yet, I should not. So, I'm going to post the post the way I have it now and just have things getting started. I can just about promise that as soon as Groin or Lommy or both get at least one post up, I will be able to get my 'rushing in and telling' post pretty quick.

-- Foley
Old 12-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #2086
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin, I laughed aloud with Lithor while reading your post. It suddenly seemed funny to me, too...Good writing.

I can't do anything now, so Lommy....you're up next. *waiting anxiously to see how things transpire*
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #2087
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
There's your violence. I'm sorry W&W are not being as idiots as they could be but I told you, they're not total fools and they can be dangerous...

Anyway, Foley, I think now the boys would have enough reason to run for aid.

PS. Groin you may decide if Lithor falls to the ground, I was thinking not ( = that wasn't Wilheard's intention), but if you want him to, go for it...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #2088
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sweet! My post is up. Mnymosyne, you can post now.

-- Foley
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #2089
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
All right. I have a busy day ahead, but I'll try to sneak something in in the evening.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #2090
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent! Lommy and Folwren, both of you did fun posts. My heart was racing with unbridled excitement when I saw that y'all had posted. I shall get something up before tonight.

Looking forward to your post, Mnemosyne! I can't wait to bring Wynflaed into this.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #2091
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Anybody mind if Crabannan joins the altercation? He's in that kind of mood.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #2092
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Anybody mind if Crabannan joins the altercation? He's in that kind of mood.
I'm fine with it. The more the merrier, or in this case angrier.

I have my post up! I thought of having Lithor do something physical, but I realized that that was more of an Erbrand move. Therefore, I choice to do Lithor's talents and wound the two young men with some insults.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #2093
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ugh. Is Lithor planning to die?

But even better if Crabannan joins... I am looking forward to this... really curious. I guess even if nobody else intervenes, this is going to become a major topic among the people and it will influence everybody's opinions a bit more again. I am really looking forward to that.

And I should note here, I know most of the people are from the "old" Scarburg, but you must take into account that the "new" people know nothing about the original inhabitants at all, and even if they don't have any prejudices or bad attitude towards the "old" people, if all they hear is "they speak nastily to lord Athanar", "they gainsay to authorities" and "they fight with the Lord's sons", oh my, we are really just creating the gap between the "old" and "new" ones...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #2094
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Lithor's committing a slow suicide...

I will think of this and post something at least here soon, but for now Gwath's itervention and handling of my characters looks good. But yes, if there's no intervention really soon, it will be a brawl...
Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #2095
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Love it, Mnemo.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #2096
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wynflaed's on her way.

Foley, I hope you don't mind that I asked Thornden along for backup. It would only be fair to honor the boys' request (she still doesn't know who punched her daughter), plus she doesn't have enough information to know whether it really is her sons or not. And that makes a good show of coruling/transition/whatever.

Once she does arrive and sees her sons, she'll handle them from there on her own. I'm not sure how Thornden would fit into this, though, especially if eventually Wynflaed takes her sons' reports of treason seriously.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #2097
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Love it, Mnemo.
Hehehe... wait till we meet up!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #2098
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Hehehe... wait till we meet up!
I'm waiting for that... the guys necessarily aren't!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #2099
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
This is interesting indeed!

But others should have something to do while this little drama unfolds outside... for I don't think all the people should rush out there. Feel free to come up with any interactions or just private thoughts...

One thing that comes to my mind is whether Degas would discuss with Athanar as he would probably have come down from his seat for the meal and thus sit on the same table?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #2100
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley, I hope you don't mind that I asked Thornden along for backup. It would only be fair to honor the boys' request (she still doesn't know who punched her daughter), plus she doesn't have enough information to know whether it really is her sons or not. And that makes a good show of coruling/transition/whatever.
That's fine. I'm inclined to not post yet and wait for others to post and just see how things carry on. I often feel like I rush things by posting too quick or something.

-- Foley
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #2101
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I took the Cyrano cue from you, Groin. Hope you don't mind, it worked out pretty well.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #2102
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I took the Cyrano cue from you, Groin. Hope you don't mind, it worked out pretty well.
I am so amazed. In my entire life, I have never met anyone outside my family who knew about Cyrano, and here, apparently, in one day, I have discovered two others...
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #2103
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Thank you Gwath! I finally get to meet someone who knows Shakespeare, Shaara, and Bergerac!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #2104
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Thank you Gwath! I finally get to meet someone who knows Shakespeare, Shaara, and Bergerac!
Remnants of a classical education, to quote Sayers.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2105
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great post, Mnemo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And I should note here, I know most of the people are from the "old" Scarburg, but you must take into account that the "new" people know nothing about the original inhabitants at all, and even if they don't have any prejudices or bad attitude towards the "old" people, if all they hear is "they speak nastily to lord Athanar", "they gainsay to authorities" and "they fight with the Lord's sons", oh my, we are really just creating the gap between the "old" and "new" ones...
Indeed, but the same goes for the newcomers. After all, these brawls never broke out until the newcomers came to town. So much tradition in one day is being tossed aside. I do not know about you, but I HATE it when a good working system is tossed aside, especially when it is to dabble in something that is uncertain of success. As long as our characters feel as if they are being stepped on, they'll bite the heel of person who stepped on them! Folwren's characters will be of great importance in this new hall. For the future, my characters will try to do a little more bonding with the newcomers (Lithor has already made enough enemies). Though such obvious bullying by Athanar's sons would be punished, even in the old hall.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #2106
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Indeed, but the same goes for the newcomers. After all, these brawls never broke out until the newcomers came to town. So much tradition in one day is being tossed aside. I do not know about you, but I HATE it when a good working system is tossed aside, especially when it is to dabble in something that is uncertain of success. As long as our characters feel as if they are being stepped on, they'll bite the heel of person who stepped on them!
Great points, both of you - points which I had already considered. Something I love is that many of the new characters also have new writers, who also know very little about the old characters, which means that the writers may well have some of the same misconceptions as the characters. It's awesome.

Quote:
Folwren's characters will be of great importance in this new hall. For the future, my characters will try to do a little more bonding with the newcomers (Lithor has already made enough enemies). Though such obvious bullying by Athanar's sons would be punished, even in the old hall.
Eh, I'm trying. Poor Lithor. The thing that gets me the most is that he is just trying to make friends, and everyone keeps taking him wrong and making him an enemy. That would be a sore trial for anyone.
Such bullying would be punished, even in the old hall, you are right. I think that it would have been interesting to see what Eodwine's reaction would have been. I, for one, think that Saeryn will be very, very angry. If nothing is done about them, it will be hard for her to hold Javan (who appears to have been guilty of a similar crime of bullying Aedre) to a higher standard, when Athanar's own sons are permitted to do something like this to Lithor. But I speak too swiftly - we don't yet know what is going to happen.

-- Foley

EDIT: Adding - I hope you post something, Groin, tonight (or soon) before Thornden and Wynflaed come out. But, then again, I guess it's really Lommy who needs to post for the two W's next. (I don't know if I'll ever be able to remember their names.) Is she still alive in WW? I think she needs to be voted off/lynched. *innocent whistling face*
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #2107
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I am so amazed. In my entire life, I have never met anyone outside my family who knew about Cyrano, and here, apparently, in one day, I have discovered two others...
Three.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #2108
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Three.
Can I hear four?

Very good point Folwren. I say that we don't force people to write one way or the other, just go with the flow. I won't have a post tonight but I will work on one and have it up tomorrow morning.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #2109
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Let's have a party.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #2110
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Looks like we are having a party. What time is it for you three - Groin, Gwath, and Mnymosyne?

EDIT: I have an idea. Let's see if we can get a chat skwerl in this far corner of the Downs!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2111
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

7:00 Pst
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #2112
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thought so. I'm at 9:00 (about) P.M.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #2113
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ugh, unfortunately my attention really cannot be on this thread at the moment. Currently on page 3 out of 10 pages discussing Coriolanus from a pomo perspective...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #2114
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I am also in throes of paper-writing - analyzing various story elements in Pan's Labyrinth.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #2115
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Gosh. I'm jealous...

Traditional storyline analysis, Joseph Campbell, or "Ohmivalarit'sallametaphorforpuberty"?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #2116
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

None of those. It's a short paper and doesn't involve a general approach to the story - just identifying and discussing various specific story elements (ala Lajos Egri) within the film.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #2117
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If it's short then I'm especially jealous. Early page 4 now...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #2118
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Four

Really, guys, I majored in literature. I read everything.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #2119
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

You win. There was never any question. We're squabbling over second place.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #2120
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Plus we're trying to make Foley feel loved for reading and knowing Cyrano.