Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #121
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Everything is coming together nicely!! Great posts everyone! I will put up another post this afternoon, I have some things to do before I do. Then hopefully we can start getting some characters to cross paths.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #122
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Allright, so my post is up, and Rudy is his usual over reactive self when he hears Mira ask Hugo to take her to Brandy Hall. If there's anything I need to edit let me know.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #123
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So Mira is conniving is she? Funny... Just like a little sister though.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #124
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is turning into a good yarn to chuckle over. "Oh no, what's she want this time?"

Should I post next for Hugo, or should Mira take the next turn? Perhaps Mira wants to defend herself? Hugo could just "poo poo" Rudy's protest and invite him along too. Doesn't matter to me which way though. Let me know...
Old 11-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #125
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
I think Hugo should post next. And having him invite Rudy would be good.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #126
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I'm having a little trouble getting my post written without using Tansy and her family too much. Lommy could you perhaps write a morning post so I know what you and your family are doing when I have Bunny wake up.
I just love the characters so far!! I can't wait till we all get together, this is going to be a blast!!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:32 AM   #127
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ok, I can post before you. Who posts next? Should I? Or LMP? Or someone else? Or does it actually matter?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #128
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
I think Hugo should post next. And having him invite Rudy would be good.
Okay, I'll post next for the Crickhollow bunch, but Lommy, feel free to post ahead of me since the Buckland group doesn't have to wait for the Crickhollow's, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #129
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll post as soon as I can which means probably the day after tomorrow...
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #130
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'll wait until Tansy and Company have started their day before I continue Brown's.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #131
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have a nice post coming along, but I ran into a problem. What are we going to do about Mira's and Rudy's dad? Or mainly for now, do I call him to the table, take him a plate, or just leave the food out for him? Boromir, did you ahve an idea for him?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #132
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
I have a nice post coming along, but I ran into a problem. What are we going to do about Mira's and Rudy's dad? Or mainly for now, do I call him to the table, take him a plate, or just leave the food out for him? Boromir, did you ahve an idea for him?
I smell conflict here. I think it would be good to have Hugo's son-in-law make a disgruntled appearance and attempt to be a wet blanket on Mira's plans; see what Rudy does with that! Who wants to write the old codger? (look who's talking about old codger!)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #133
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I smell conflict here. I think it would be good to have Hugo's son-in-law make a disgruntled appearance and attempt to be a wet blanket on Mira's plans; see what Rudy does with that! Who wants to write the old codger? (look who's talking about old codger!)
Not me. That works great. I'll end with Mira saying "So when can we leave?" and whoever writes for it can have him come in and hear that.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #134
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

So sorry for my absence of late.... I've just been exhausted from work. I swear I will get a post up today or tomorrow at the latest. Also I would like to appologize to Kitanna, Legate and Gwathagor.I feel like we have left you all out...I swear, we will get us all together, super soon. Try not to get too bored.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #135
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
Also I would like to appologize to Kitanna, Legate and Gwathagor.I feel like we have left you all out...I swear, we will get us all together, super soon. Try not to get too bored.
Don't worry, Valier. There are lots of other stuff to do meanwhile, and I was counting with that it's going to take some time before I can join... though it's true that I'm really looking forward to the time when I can join...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #136
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

As excited as I am to start, I can wait (mainly because I need to catch up with school ). Though I am very excited to get this adventure under way. But take your time Valier.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #137
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, I wasn't exactly thinkins about bring paps into the story, but that wouldn't be a problem. Don't worry lmp, Rudy definitely has something planned.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #138
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

thanks everyone for being so understanding. I'm just wiped out tonight, I can't even wrap my brain on the idea of a post. I will however post tomorrow after I get home, no matter how tired I am. I will write it up at work. I will have Bunny waking up and meeting Tansy on the stairs, I will bring us to talking about supplies and then perhaps Tansy can bring up Peony and we can get her involved.
If we can in the mean time get Hugo, Rudy and Mira to buckland. They can all intrude into Tansy and Bunny's storyline at any time. Have them show up in time for a meal or what not. Have them show up this day if you like, you can pretend that they left a bfew days before. How long does it take to get to Buckland from where you all are?
also Brown can come in at any point. He is going to visit Tansy's brother, right? and he was fairly close,So he can show up any time too. it might make the posts flow a little bit more if we have more people involved together.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #139
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Crickhollow is in Buckland, so it's a mere two miles from there to Brandy Hall. By cart that's probably a matter of a half hour (or more if Mosy is given his head). So the trio can arrive just in time for second breakfast, or for nuncheon.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #140
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I've posted, it's a bit short, but I'm finding it hard to put down too much when I need a reply from Tansy. Lommy if you have time on Sunday to get a post up I can do another right after and we can get us through breakfast. Perhaps we could go visit Peony then after breakfast.... how did you want us to handle this Kitanna? Did you want one of us to ask you to come, or did you want to ask us if you can come? That is up to you, depending on how your character would react. either way you could meet us at Tansy's when we leave or we could pick you up on the way.

LMP, Boro and Findulias, you can plan to come in around luncheon as LMP suggested. That will give Tansy and Bunny time to chat with Peony. Brown you can show up when you like, were you planning on staying at Tansy's house while you visited? Looks like the Bogsworth's are going to have a full house.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #141
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I actually wasn't planning on staying long. I'd probably spend the afternoon and then move along shortly after dinner. Brandy Hall is but a couple of hours from my cousins' home, so I could easily walk there after dinner, probably using the roads. So someone will have to convince me to stay.....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #142
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Perhaps we could go visit Peony then after breakfast.... how did you want us to handle this Kitanna? Did you want one of us to ask you to come, or did you want to ask us if you can come? That is up to you, depending on how your character would react. either way you could meet us at Tansy's when we leave or we could pick you up on the way.
I was thinking it would be best if Tansy and Bunny asked Peony along. As to where they meet her along the road, well it doesn't really matter to me. However, if they come to Peony's house she can get more supplies or the adventure.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #143
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Hmmmmm. I think we need a few more reasons for people to join. I know Bunny would not care for so many people to come at first. She has snuck away from her family to do this and she would want that to be kept secret at least for awhile. I could see her asking Peony to go since she is a young female Hobbit and companinship would be had between the three women. But I can't see why we would ask Brown to come with us. Perhaps Rudy could ask him to come? We could also have no choice to take Hugo and Rudy, seeing as Mira has decided to come no matter what (I hope that's ok Finduilas) and Rudy and Hugo come to look out for her. Do I have this right? I figured Mira could overhear a conversation Tansy and Bunny have. What does everyone think?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #144
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Well, if Brown became involved in the discussions being held as the group prepares to depart, it could become evident that his extensive knowledge and experience would be useful. Or, you could all leave without him, and he could follow behind after discovering you had gone the wrong way, or had a bad map, or something.

If anyone is to recommend that Brown be taken along, it ought be Fred or Tansy, as Brown is acquainted with both of them.

Brown is currently reading a book which I was thinking might contain some pertinent information concerning the Ents and the Entwives, since the book is a collection of Merry's letters and speeches. Perhaps Merry records other conversations he and Pippin had with Treebeard or Quickbeam concerning the Entwives? Might be useful?
Old 11-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #145
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think Fred could recommend Tansy to take Brown along and if Brown would seem enthusiastic to come, Tansy wouldn't be able to say no to both of them.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #146
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

And to add... I can't write anything today because in fact I should be doing an essay right now, not chatting here... but I can write something tomorrow, hope that is early enough.

Is Peony's family known to be quite wealthy or something like that? I should have a reason for Tansy to suggest they might be able to provide fro the adventurers...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #147
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Hmmmmm. I think we need a few more reasons for people to join. I know Bunny would not care for so many people to come at first. She has snuck away from her family to do this and she would want that to be kept secret at least for awhile. I could see her asking Peony to go since she is a young female Hobbit and companinship would be had between the three women. But I can't see why we would ask Brown to come with us. Perhaps Rudy could ask him to come? We could also have no choice to take Hugo and Rudy, seeing as Mira has decided to come no matter what (I hope that's ok Finduilas) and Rudy and Hugo come to look out for her. Do I have this right? I figured Mira could overhear a conversation Tansy and Bunny have. What does everyone think?

Works fine. Having Mira overhear a conversation would need some setting up, but would work well.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #148
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Dialogue can be tought to write in an rpg with the "two paragraph rule". One solution some of us have hit upon is to build a post via PM, which gets sent back and forth between the two, three, or four players involved in the conversation. A neat by-product of PM-built posts is that they have a kind of immediacy that makes the conversation feel more like conversation really does. So if you're finding it frustrating trying to coordinate conversations, it's a pretty neat tool.

So Boro, is Rudy going to reply to Mira, are should Hugo?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #149
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

lmp, I was going to write in a post with Hugo and Rudy, but if there's anything the Gaffer wants to add in, go right ahead.

Depending upon how tired I am in approximately 2 hours I may get a post up tonight, if not then it will definitely come tomorrow. However, after that I am taking a nice trip to see some family for Thanksgiving and will be gone from Tuesday until Sunday. Valier, if you want to keep things moving, lmp and Finduilas can have free reign over Rudy til I get back.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #150
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Valier, what do you think should be discussed over the breakfast?

Also, because you seem to be hesitant to write Tansy's family members: you really shouldn't be that shy. You may write them any way you wish as long as you don't make them do anything that would clearly contradict something I've said about them...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #151
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Dialogue can be tought to write in an rpg with the "two paragraph rule". One solution some of us have hit upon is to build a post via PM, which gets sent back and forth between the two, three, or four players involved in the conversation. A neat by-product of PM-built posts is that they have a kind of immediacy that makes the conversation feel more like conversation really does. So if you're finding it frustrating trying to coordinate conversations, it's a pretty neat tool
Neat!! we will need to try this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Depending upon how tired I am in approximately 2 hours I may get a post up tonight, if not then it will definitely come tomorrow. However, after that I am taking a nice trip to see some family for Thanksgiving and will be gone from Tuesday until Sunday. Valier, if you want to keep things moving, lmp and Finduilas can have free reign over Rudy til I get back.
I don't think that will be a problem Boro. This rpg may take a little more time to write than I thought, but it is over the holidays. I have no problem taking our time if noone else minds.

Valier, what do you think should be discussed over the breakfast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Also, because you seem to be hesitant to write Tansy's family members: you really shouldn't be that shy. You may write them any way you wish as long as you don't make them do anything that would clearly contradict something I've said about them...
Is Tansy telling her family what they are really doing? If so we can discuss it over breakfast. If not we could make up a story to tell them and I can go along with it. I think I will use your family at least a little bit, to get my clothes washed and get my pack cleaned.

Also everyone Pio has pmed me and there is a new shire player that would really love to join our RPG. I figured that would be ok since we still are getting started. I hope this is ok with everyone. His name is Sephiroth (I think he's a he) I have given him permission to post to this thread so we can fit him into the story.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #152
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

Sephiroth has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Also everyone Pio has pmed me and there is a new shire player that would really love to join our RPG. I figured that would be ok since we still are getting started. I hope this is ok with everyone. His name is Sephiroth (I think he's a he) I have given him permission to post to this thread so we can fit him into the story.
First, thanks for giving me permission, Valier.
And of course I'm a he! Like I said before, it seems no one plays Final Fantasy anymore

I've read what you already posted in the RPG thread and I think it's very good. If you guys don't have any problem with me joining, I'd like to hear your ideas about a new character.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #153
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

1420!

Hey people!

I've thought about the story and I came up with two possibilities:

1 - a not-so-good hobbit (a Sackville, perhaps?) that follows the group because he knows (and envies) one of the characters and thinks he's up to something. He could enter in the first opportunity the group reaches something vaguely valuable (after all, this could be anything... even something completely useless). Then he could just keep following (and the others eventually accept him)... Or maybe it'll be too dangerous to come back and the rest of the group shows him some mercy. I’m not thinking of a really bad character… just a misguided, greedy hobbit, one that could learn much searching for Entwives.

2 – A Bogsworth (maybe a cousin or something like that) who goes after Tansy after she goes adventuring. I don’t know what you’re thinking about what she will tell her family, but maybe that’s an option.

Right now, I think (1) would be more interesting, but I’m a beginner and maybe (2) could be easier to role-play. And, of course, I’m still open to any other suggestions.

Of course I don’t want to hold back the storyline, and if you think any of my options could be a problem, please say so.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #154
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Welcome, Sephiroth!

I'm intrigued by your idea #1. I think any good rpg needs a checkered someone to spice things up a bit, so I would love to see you do that. Perhaps one of the current characters has a somewhat unsavory cousin who just happens to be visiting?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #155
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welcome, Sephiroth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
And of course I'm a he! Like I said before, it seems no one plays Final Fantasy anymore
Though, to this I must answer that I would have assumed you to be female because in the game Heroes and Might and Magic 3 there's a character called Sephinroth and she's a female... I first thought that you had got your name from there and either you or me had just always misread the name... Anyway, that was hardly related to anything. Like I said, welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
I'm intrigued by your idea #1. I think any good rpg needs a checkered someone to spice things up a bit, so I would love to see you do that. Perhaps one of the current characters has a somewhat unsavory cousin who just happens to be visiting?
I agree here. That would be definitely amusing to have someone like that "spicing things up", as you phrased it. If Sephiroth's character was to be someone's visiting cousin, I think s/he should be either Peony's or Brown's cousin. Peony's cousin would be possibly easiest to include, s/he could be present when Tansy and Bunny meet Peony.

I will write a post today.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #156
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Just to mix things up a little bit, perhaps we could meet said new character along the way somewhere and be forced to take him along, rather than have him be yet another visiting friend/relation who happens to get invited to come with us.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #157
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Just to mix things up a little bit, perhaps we could meet said new character along the way somewhere and be forced to take him along, rather than have him be yet another visiting friend/relation who happens to get invited to come with us.
I agree completely!

I'll try working on my character description (wich I want to post today) and my first post (wich I want to develop and show you my ideas). I think an annoying cousin would be fun
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #158
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Sorry for posting a bit later than what I said, but my post is finally up. I left it at Rudy and Mira's father kind of giving in, knowing he couldn't do anything. So, lmp and Finduilas, you can finish it off and get us out of there.

Welcome Sephiroth, glad to have you.

Now I'm off on this splendid Thanksgiving vacation. Everyone, enjoy the holidays, don't have too much fun without me.

Last edited by Boromir88; 11-21-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 AM   #159
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome Sephiroth! Looks like you already made up your mind, but I wanted to support your idea #1. A "bad" character could make the story more interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
This is a very good idea. Sephiroth, I thought that maybe you could connect your character with Mishka's (my character's) appearance. He's going to join the company after some time when they cross the Brandywine and enter the Shire itself, so it's still a long time till that, and it won't mix with the storyline that is now being created about the other characters (as it seems problematic to join them all together even as it is). I have the idea that my character will appear while trying to sneak up on the company. So, if you considered joining along with me (or around that time), we could try to think of something together.

And concerning your name, I have to second Lommy on that Heroes thing (Sephinroth was a hero from Dungeon, right?). Though there was also another thing that immediately appeared in my mind when I saw your name. And that's, probably, from where the FF authors even took the name (because I don't know about any other source in which the word "sephiroth" appears) - it's a hebrew word used in certain ways of mystic judaism for ten "attributes" of God (it's plural, singular would be "sephirah". Similar as with the words like "behemoth", people don't usually know where it comes from and that it's in fact plural). I doubt the FF authors had any intention with it, it probably just sounded "cool and alien enough" But you see, this far your name is not creating exactly the assotiations you intended
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #160
Sephiroth
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Sephiroth, I thought that maybe you could connect your character with Mishka's (my character's) appearance. He's going to join the company after some time when they cross the Brandywine and enter the Shire itself, so it's still a long time till that, and it won't mix with the storyline that is now being created about the other characters (as it seems problematic to join them all together even as it is).
Perfect! I'll think about Mishka when I create my character. Maybe they can be friends or just acquaintances. I'll get in touch with you later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
it's a hebrew word used in certain ways of mystic judaism for ten "attributes" of God. I doubt the FF authors had any intention with it, it probably just sounded "cool and alien enough" But you see, this far your name is not creating exactly the assotiations you intended
Ok, I have to say that you guys make me feel completely noob!
But, since I like sounding cool and alien, I'll get used to it