The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2003, 03:49 PM   #601
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

When someone mentions something about fish you either:

quote the riddle in the Hobbit "alive without breath, as cold as death..."

or say "give it to me raw and wiggling!"
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:12 PM   #602
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Several more things I've done recently:

-When you go around muttering to yourself in a Gollumic manner and call your self "my Precious". Ex: "We don't like nassssty zucchini, do we? Oh no, Precious, we don't."

-When you talk to the tree in your backyard, hoping it will awake and become an ent.

-When you go walikng in a woodsy area and you and your friend pick out a tree to be "Treebeard".

-When you randomly memorize LOTR poems for fun, and recite/sing them whenever you get bored (especially when walking by yourself, ex: walking home from school).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:10 PM   #603
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

When you start throwing away (good) clothes and clearing out drawers to make room for your collection (totally guilty!)
Old 07-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #604
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

When you stay up to ungodly hours of the night making posts on the Downs.

I am guilty of that right now! (I put this post in at quarter past midnight! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 07-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #605
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Quote:
-When you go around muttering to yourself in a Gollumic manner and call your self "my Precious". Ex: "We don't like nassssty zucchini, do we? Oh no, Precious, we don't."
Scares my sis to d.eath when I do that. She says she worries about me...I wonder why?

And I wish that I could get to threads before Luthien does. I'm tired of having so little to post.

[ July 25, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:28 AM   #606
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
When you randomly memorize LOTR poems for fun, and recite/sing them whenever you get bored (especially when walking by yourself, ex: walking home from school)
So true. Except for me, its especally when I'm walking to, not from, school. But... recite? RECITE? You must sing them! They're so much better when you put a merry tune to them.

When you have learnt a mode of Cirth (Angerthas Moria) and a type of tengwar (Mode of Beleriand).
When your diary is in a mixture of those two alphabets. (Not guilty yet, but I will be).
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #607
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
But... recite? RECITE? You must sing them! They're so much better when you put a merry tune to them.
Oh, come now, guy who be short, you know very well that for some of the poems it was explicity stated that they were chanted or spoken, not sung. I have a tune for most of them, except one or two where I can find no suitable tune, but would you truly sing The Ring Poem, or Aragorn's poem (All that is gold does not glitter...)? And what about those songs which require mournful tunes instead of merry ones? Hmmmm? Would you sing Sam's Song in the Tower in a happy voice? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2003, 01:52 PM   #608
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
And I wish that I could get to threads before Luthien does. I'm tired of having so little to post.
I think it has something to do with the times of the day that we're usually online. I'm on in the afternoons and evenings, and you seem to favor late evening and night. So I get here before you everyday, and consequently, since we're clones or something, I post everything that you had done and were planning to post. Very creepy, but seemingly true. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2003, 10:03 PM   #609
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

'Late' does not describe the unholy hours I keep...

Anyway, back on topic.

When you have joined several RPGs, post in Mirth and Novices frequently, and occasionally Books, and thus have no time to sleep. Yet you continue to come to this site.

I swear, there is no understanding some people... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 07:50 AM   #610
Diamond Green
Pile O'Bones

Diamond Green has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know your obsessed with lotr when...

You read the books to your dogs!
(I did that last night, and they seemed to enjoy it quit a lot [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 07-26-2003, 02:32 PM   #611
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I looked out of the window today and saw that it was a clear blue sky. And I said to myself, "Hmmm... I wonder what the weather's like in Edoras at the moment..."

Obsessed, or just plain crazy? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 02:56 PM   #612
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I think a little of both.

When you are at home instead of at the pool because you wanted to stay on the Downs. Besides, the constant staring at the computer is making you extra-sensitive to light.

When you have absolutely no time to sleep because you're reading the books (for the 17th time), playing in two RPGs, and trying to keep up with the D.T.s in the Books. (That's Doctors of Tolkienology)

When you 'kelebrate' because their is no post of Luthien's between your last two posts on this thread!

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 07-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #613
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
quote:
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Scares my sis to d.eath when I do that. She says she worries about me...I wonder why?
You're all spying on me! I know it!

~ When you make your own Shire callendar. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ When a moth for some reason lands on your finger and you try to talk to it in Elvish and ask if it knows Elrond.
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:51 PM   #614
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Quote:
When you randomly memorize LOTR poems for fun, and recite/sing them whenever you get bored (especially when walking by yourself, ex: walking home from school)
I did that when my mother dragged me on a three hour 'boat tour'. She thought I was crazy because I was repeated muttering the Lay of Leithian to myself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #615
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
When you 'kelebrate' because their is no post of Luthien's between your last two posts on this thread!
Hey! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
When a moth for some reason lands on your finger and you try to talk to it in Elvish and ask if it knows Elrond.
I think I've done that a few times. What I do know is that my best friend was chasing a moth around her house once to catch it and do this very thing (I was there, it was kind of funny).

Okay, now to add to my list (more things I've done recently):

-When you decide that you actually prefer "kelebrate" to "selebrate".

-When you talk to your parents about "kelebrating" and they give you weird looks.

-When you start talking about the Barrow-Downs (once again to your parents), you get ignored, and they start talking about something different.

-When you get really bored and go through your dictionary finding words that would be pronounced differently in the Elvish languages than in English, and pronounce them the Elvish way (ex: read through all the words starting with "ce", "ci", "ai", and "ei". It's fun. You all should try it. You come up with some really crazy things.)

-You see a bottle of vitamins at the store and get all happy because it says "Sam-e" (S-adenosylmethionine).

Old 07-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #616
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

Quote:
When you decide that you actually prefer "kelebrate" to "selebrate".
I should start saying that...I already say 'kelery' instead of 'selery'. The scary thing is that my parents actually know what I'm talking about when I say that.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #617
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

Quote:
Oh, come now, guy who be short, you know very well that for some of the poems it was explicity stated that they were chanted or spoken, not sung. I have a tune for most of them, except one or two where I can find no suitable tune, but would you truly sing The Ring Poem, or Aragorn's poem (All that is gold does not glitter...)? And what about those songs which require mournful tunes instead of merry ones? Hmmmm? Would you sing Sam's Song in the Tower in a happy voice?
Not sung, but the ring poem and Aragorns poem have certain rhythms to them which I always keep. And all songs must be merry! (My friend shouted at me for singing the Lay of Gilgalad with a happy tune.)

You have started writing a diary for the first time in many years. The purpose of this is that it's in Cirth and Tengwar, and you want to show off your obsessedness at the BD.

When you walk past a beech in the spring you automatically start singing "When spring unfurls the beachen leaf..."
Old 07-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #618
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I have to make a confession. Until yesterday (well, the day before that now) I did not own a copy of the Ext. Edition of FotR. This was not due to my own lack of desire, mind, but through my parents' lack. Finally, after waiting almost two years, I have it.

My sister began to regret buying it in the checkout line, though, because I started jumping up and down right there in the middle of the store. While that's not so unusual for small children to do, I'm 17 and so nearly an adul.t that it's very silly for me to be jumping up and down and chanting some ditty about getting the Ext. Edition.

Never mind that it's got the gifts, and fixes Galadriel and it has all these great deleted scenes...

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 07-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #619
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

At home, I have to wash the dishes. So, whenever I'm doing chores, I sing Middle-earth songs. It's relaxing.

I drew Thror's map a while back and, since it turned out nicely, I keep it in a frame on my wall.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #620
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
At home, I have to wash the dishes. So, whenever I'm doing chores, I sing Middle-earth songs. It's relaxing.
I do that sometimes. I used to listen to my LOTR soundtracks while doing dishes, but I had to adjust the volume too much and it got annoying (the songs go from really quiet to really loud, and I don't my neighbors would appreciate hearing it, especially since my mom says you can hear it already if you stand outside of our front door).

And Tinuviel: I know how you feel. I did just about the same thing about a month ago. We didn't get the extended version until June. My parents like it a lot, they're just not as excited about it as I am.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #621
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

When your cell phone has a LotR ringtone.

I don't have a cell phone, but would use a LotR ringtone if I did.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:48 AM   #622
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

when you dig a hole in the ground and live there [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 10:45 AM   #623
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

Quote:
When your cell phone has a LotR ringtone.
Ill extend on that. Your sister's friend gives your sister a mobile phone to borrow for a week. You also "borrow" it, put the LotR theme tune on it, and leave. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

When you make up songs about LotR.

When you subconsciously make up songs about LotR.
That really happened to me! I was playing on my gameboy (yes, I'm afraid I own one of those despisable things [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) when suddenly I realised that my mind had at that same moment been making up songs about Tom Bombadil. They rhymed and all! And I hadn't even willed it... that, mein freunden, ist obsessed.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #624
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
When you go around muttering to yourself in a Gollumic manner and call your self "my Precious". Ex: "We don't like nassssty zucchini, do we? Oh no, Precious, we don't."
and brussel sprouts, and cabbage, and carrots, and......

When all of the little boys in you church don't call you by you real name anymore, but by your elvish one. (I have finally accomplished this feat, I'm so excited!)

Since you don't have a horse, you call your riding lawn mower Asfaloth. It's not quite the same feeling to go riding around the yard shouting "noro lim Asfaloth, noro lim!" to a lawn mower, but it'll do for now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #625
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

When you (yes, I really did this) write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" in the personal profile of your college application.

Oh, and a bike works better for "noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim!"

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 07-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #626
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

I have done that on my bike, but then I had the revelation that you don't pedal a horse, so it just didn't do it for me. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Duncariel ]
Old 07-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #627
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yes, there is something rather unsatisfying about yelling "Noro lim!" to your bike and then pedaling faster. Perhaps a car would work better (if only I could drive.....)

Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM   #628
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I sometimes ride my bike to my friend's house, and once when I was leaving my friend (who is also obsessed) said "Arwen, ride hard, and don't look back," so of course I said "Noro lim, Asfaloth!" to my bike.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #629
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I fully intend to write out all the poems in LOTR in a little booklet for quick reference and easier transport and simply for amusement. But maybe I'm just weird that way.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:25 PM   #630
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

Oooh! I have a new one. When you put something in Elvish on your liscense plate. (I haven't done this yet, seeing as I can't drive, but will some day) Maybe it could say something like Noro lim.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:21 AM   #631
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When you grow your hair out so you can braid it like the Elves.

When you paint your room all white to look like Rivendell.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll think of more...Honest!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:24 PM   #632
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

When your on vacation and your posting on the downs (he he)

When your on vacation and you sit in the hotel room and watch the ext. version. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (it played in the hotel, how cool is that?)

When your cell phone has a reminder feature (where ever time you turn on your phone it can say something like "remember to pick up b/f at airport.) and you change it to say "Frodo lives!" and no one who borrows your phone is surprised when they see it.

When something good happens you start singing "Kelebrate something something holidays... kelebrate!" ( i'm not sure whether you'd get wierd looks for not knowing the words or because of the "k")

I'm guilty of all of those except the last. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] not yet anyway
Old 07-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #633
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
When your on vacation and you sit in the hotel room and watch the ext. version. (it played in the hotel, how cool is that?)
That is awesome! Every hotel should do that! Next time I stay in a hotel, I should just demand LOTR treatment. Just imagine the weird looks I'd get. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Or else I should take my beloved FOTR Extended Version DVDs with me, and pray that the hotel room has a DVD player in it... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #634
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

(When you kelebrate because you set a new record: the lastest post in the Quiz, Quotes, ME Mirth, Movies and Novices and Necomers fora! Go me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (I just did this!)

Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #635
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

When you "kelebrate" that your younger cousin named his cute little black dog Frodo.

I'm also guilty of the riding lawnmower thing. Just imagine the strange looks I got from my neighbors when they heard me yelling "Noro lim Asfaloth!" to the lawnmower.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:35 PM   #636
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Luthien, I have started a notebook with all the poems and songs from LOTR. I started earlier this summer and am now over half way through FOTR. You'd be surprised how long it takes to write some of the stuff down! Sometimes it takes me days for one song. I definitely recommend doing it though.

Back to the topic, my friend and I have decided that we want our graduation song to be the "Breaking of the Fellowship" on the movie sound track.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:46 PM   #637
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I prefer to memorize them, because then you don't have to flip pages in a little notebook to find the one you want. Of course it takes longer to memorize them, though.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 PM   #638
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

My problem with getting weird looks from my neighbors, is that I only have One neighbor. And they're old. I don't want to give them a heart attack or anything. They pay me to watch their dog.

When the little boys in your church refuse to call you by your real name anymore, (Yeah!) only your elvish one.

When you've done every obsessive thing that you can think of that's legal. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
It's a sad day in the USA...
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM   #639
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
When you've done every obsessive thing that you can think of that's legal.
It's a sad day in the USA...
That is very sad... I don't suppose stalking actors to get them to sign one of your copies of LOTR as if they were their character is legal, is it? (No, I have not done this... yet).

I thought of something interesting today: I wonder if one could go an entire day quoting LOTR? If anyone said anything to you, you would have to reply with an LOTR quote, and anything you said would have to be a quote. I wonder if you could do this and have it still be relevant to the conversation? My mom thinks you could, but she said "That's a little bit obssessive". [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So I guess my parents acknowledge the fact that I am truly obssessed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Ah... bliss!

Old 08-01-2003, 05:21 AM   #640
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

Quote:
I thought of something interesting today: I wonder if one could go an entire day quoting LOTR? If anyone said anything to you, you would have to reply with an LOTR quote, and anything you said would have to be a quote. I wonder if you could do this and have it still be relevant to the conversation?
I tried that. It's very hard to keep on topic, and I failed. Not that I stopped quoting - I just made little sense. So that idea, while is may seem fun, is nigh impossible.

When you block your contacts on Instant Messenger so you can have peace whilst reading at the BD.