The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #1161
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Is it a sign of non-addiction if I don't get what you're talking about?
Are you just trying to get out of looking like a BD addict or are you serious.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #1162
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
Mac, WW! From what planet are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
Are you just trying to get out of looking like a BD addict or are you serious.
Oh... WW! I kept on wondering what "D-Day" had to do with it. I guess I need to start actually reading other people's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
And iMacs. Did it happen to be intentional that you chose to be an apple farmer in the DW?
Haha! Now I wish that would have been intention, but I was just thinking of an occupation and it happened to be the first that came to my mind for some reason.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #1163
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac
Oh... WW! I kept on wondering what "D-Day" had to do with it. I guess I need to start actually reading other people's posts.
Translation:
Mac - "You mean WW means something other than werewolf?"
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #1164
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yet Another Sign of Addiction...

When you are shopping in the car aisle of the store and you see steering wheel covers, floor mats, and seat covers among other things that have penguins on them and you immediately think, Lommy would love those!

Or, when you are writing "Soft Soap- white" on a shopping list and instead you write "Soft Soap- wight" ...

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 06-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #1165
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
In Ecology lecture class, we were at one point discussing perception of the environment and our limitations in perceiving it. I was rather sleepy, not having slept a blink the night before, but I was trying my best to stay awake because it was an interesting class. I snapped fully awake when my professor wrote GW on the board. Alas, he wasn't referring to my fiance, but to global warming.

Another thing, I mistakenly misread 'onewhitetea' as onewhitetree.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #1166
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I snapped fully awake when my professor wrote GW on the board. Alas, he wasn't referring to my fiance, but to global warming.
Down with GW!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #1167
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Down with GW!
Yes, of course, global warming is awful.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #1168
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Down with GW!

Heh. *chuckles*

I started yelling at my computer last night because I was playing Bookworm (or some similar game) and it didn't consider "scry" a word.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #1169
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Top ten signs you're addicted to DW

When listening to music you mishear "Why won't anybody try me" as "Why won't anybody scry me"...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #1170
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Addicted to DW? No, never, not me....

On another board I saw someone mention DW (they were being lazy and abbreviating Doctor Who). "Dueling Wizards? Where? WHERE????" Then I facepalmed. (This is especially sad as I'm also obsessed with Doctor Who, hence I should have caught on right away)
Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #1171
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
On another board I saw someone mention DW (they were being lazy and abbreviating Doctor Who). "Dueling Wizards? Where? WHERE????" Then I facepalmed. (This is especially sad as I'm also obsessed with Doctor Who, hence I should have caught on right away)
Wow. Thats all I can say. *hands Sally some pills* "Take these 20 times a day for a week, okay?"
Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #1172
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Wow. Thats all I can say. *hands Sally some pills* "Take these 20 times a day for a week, okay?"

Heh. You should see me when I'm in WW mode. My brain's completely fried. Aka I plead insanity. (I think I've got a shot with that, don't you? )
Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #1173
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

When I went to Mt. Ranier today, I got this dessert that is called a Raspberry Mt. Ranier. It was a pink pyramid. I thought "If I put this picture on the 'Downs, there would be an article in the Downer soon enough about it.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #1174
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

My Plant Physiology prof used 'CW' to abbreviate cell wall, and I started wondering if there's a role called Crazy Wizard.

But there is! You were the Wizard of Insanity, remember? And Nilp was twice the Wizard of Apathy.

Right, Eowyn.

Oh, I also realised it's weird to write CBC instead of CbC, and have those letters mean 'complete blood count' instead of...something else entirely.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #1175
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I went with my friends yesterday to the car superstore, and when I was asked what cars I'd like to check out I said: "I hear those Volo's are pretty good."
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #1176
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I went with my friends yesterday to the car superstore, and when I was asked what cars I'd like to check out I said: "I hear those Volo's are pretty good."
Ouch.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #1177
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Anyway, how do you pronunce Volo, Volo? Is it Vol-oh, or vole-oh or voh- loh or something completely different?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #1178
Volo

Quote:
Anyway, how do you pronunce Volo, Volo? Is it Vol-oh, or vole-oh or voh- loh or something completely different?
Haha, no, none of those. But you are giving me a good laugh. It just is Volo, VOLO, volo, ah, I don't know. It sounds so stupid.. Pronounce it as you think it sounds best, I won't mind.

edit: So, I just sneakily add some content here not to just be chatting around. Hmm, fish. - No I don't like fish, even the smell is terrible, I can't stand it- *cough*

I went to check in my Microsoft Sam voice thingie how to pronounce Volo or to write the pronounced Volo and now, at two AM, what do I end up doing? Oh, of course. Of course! I try the names of you Downers on poor Sam. Hmm... I wonder how he'd survive some actual lines from the books. Hiihihii!

Last edited by Volo; 06-22-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #1179
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
I always pronounced it 'Gertrude'...

Anyway...

You know your Downs habit is going a little far when you pick through your alphabetti spaghetti (I am so sophisticated) to make the word 'Barrow Downs' on your plate... (followed by TARDIS, Tolkien and Lord of the Rin (couldn't find a 'g')).

I feel like I'm 12 again...
Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #1180
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

But 12 is such a good age to be!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1181
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Hookbill, quite technically Barrow Downs is two words...

You know when you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you correct someone like I just did...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #1182
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Hookbill, quite technically Barrow Downs is two words...

You know when you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you correct someone like I just did...

Heh. It's okay, I thought it too. Then I saw TARDIS....

And as for me....feel free to point and laugh.

I was at band rehearsal last week and we were playing a Czech piece.

(Czech here having the meaning that it was composed in Wilbur, a small town by where I go to college which hosts "Czech Days" which is essentially an excuse for everyone in the area to....erm, I can't really say it on the board. Point is, as far as I'm concerned there's not much Czech about it....But I digress....)

Moving on....Czech piece, to refresh your memory. Well, it had been a long day and we were supposed to play one movement all legato and pretty like (don't ask) and I was spacing off looking over the music and all I saw was Czech and legat (the music wasn't copied very well) and I chuckled in the middle of rehearsal.

I remembered it during rehearsal tonight and had a total giggle fit because I realized that it was perfect fodder for this thread.

(Also, I was playing some game where you had to escape from the Land of Nog....erm, I mean Nod. Enough said)
Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #1183
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you get nearly as many birthday greetings from your fellow dead than from those who know you in life....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #1184
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you are trying to explain the Downer to your grandparents and you are trying to explain it in a way that will not make it sound like a lie. (Don't kill me)

Or when the only newspaper you read is the Downer, and you proudly proclaim that fact to everyone!

Or when you have almost (unintentionally) have gotten your grandma to come on the Barrow-Downs..
Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #1185
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you are trying to explain the Downer to your grandparents and you are trying to explain it in a way that will not make it sound like a lie. (Don't kill me)
What a peculiar thing to say. Not a lie, indeed. Pfft.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #1186
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Well, the Downer has not lost any credibility because of me anyway. And besides, it's not a lie... it's just the news.

You (at least think) you are addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you join the Barrow-Downs group on Facebook because you cannot get enough. And if that wasn't enough, you make friends with your fellow BDers and talk to them!!

EDIT: Or when you are sitting in the bathroom and on the sink there is a pile of random stuffs, you have to look because you think you just saw Alien! And then you look and it turns out to be your deoderent ... and I thought I had a reason to be frightened!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 06-26-2008 at 01:26 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #1187
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you start eating all of your meals at the computer and eat chicken noodle soup with chopsticks...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #1188
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Further to my earlier reply

when you are ridiculously happy to get Birthday cards from some of your fellow dead

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #1189
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

When you are reading the ingredient list for some jelly beans and you read one of the ingredients off as Thinlomien... I found that it got me a very strange look.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #1190
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I had to think of Esty when my grandparents were picking up their RV...
We were riding back to their house and I saw this billboard that just cracked me up... It said "Save the squirrels!" It was meant to be an ad for a car repair shop, but for any unsuspecting Barrow-Downer, it means a good laugh...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #1191
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you read one of your friend's screennames in messenger as "stop lynching *****[someone's name]" but it actually says "stop lying".
I hope this isn't a bad omen
Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1192
Volo

When I think about Rune when I see Crunchy Müsli, but read Groucho Müsli instead. To be honest I don't even have the slightiest idea who Groucho Marx was, but well...
Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #1193
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
haha

If you can make such connections then your everyday life must be extremely downs-infested.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #1194
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

When you've started playing WW at school
Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #1195
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Well, the Downer has not lost any credibility because of me anyway. And besides, it's not a lie... it's just the news.

You (at least think) you are addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you join the Barrow-Downs group on Facebook because you cannot get enough. And if that wasn't enough, you make friends with your fellow BDers and talk to them!!

EDIT: Or when you are sitting in the bathroom and on the sink there is a pile of random stuffs, you have to look because you think you just saw Alien! And then you look and it turns out to be your deoderent ... and I thought I had a reason to be frightened!
To the last bit: Wow.

I was sort of ill the other day and decided to watch some kids movies to cheer me up. I decided on one about a trouble-causing little penguin. "I bet Lommie would get a kick out of this!"
Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #1196
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
To the last bit: Wow.
Well, it is green and is kind of the shape of Alien... Just call me crazy.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #1197
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Well, it is green and is kind of the shape of Alien... Just call me crazy.
"Crazy." :P
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #1198
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
"Crazy." :P
Thank you.
You know you are obsessed with the Barrow-Downs when you have automatic updates that go directly to your e-mail and a whole folder in your e-mail dedicated to the Barrow-Downs...
Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1199
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

This is actually in reverse, as something on the Downs reminded me of something outside.

The newest member on here is called "noble." The only thing I could think of was the Doctor's current companion.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #1200
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
The newest member on here is called "noble." The only thing I could think of was the Doctor's current companion.
Oh yes, that. I wonder who the next Doctor will be... or will they stick with David Tennant (I missed it today- must watch it on iPlayer). And just who is that woman he met on the Library

Last edited by Eönwë; 07-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote