The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #41
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Ah, yes, that was worrying me, I´m glad you did it that way.
I originally goofed and used the ratio provided in the original table, but then realized that that statistic is measuring something completely different.

Quote:
For example, I have a pretty good give and take record (229/222) but because those who repped me had more points to give than I did, I came out on the original list looking a very mingy, masculine 0.83...while using number of reps rather than points gives me an only-slightly-more-stingy-than-average female score of 1.03.
Don't be so hard on yourself. We don't know (and me head hurts too much to work on this at this time) what the variance is. What if 'average' is 1.05 ± 0.5? And remember, the original exercise was to figure how I could maximize my rep with minimal thought in my posts, and so don't overwork the numbers (some might note that I've mastered at least half of that equation).

alatar reminds himself to post near those members with very high 'give' values...

Quote:
So, alatar, given that you had to do all these divisions for all of us..(gulp)...how long did this take you?
A couple hours. Have a thing about efficiency, and so, using a spreadsheet, I cherry-picked those members whose gender I could easily assign. That was about half. Methodically reviewed the others. Most were easy; some I still am not too sure about. You may be surprised that people do leave somewhat obscure clues lying around, like "I'm just an ordinary average guy."

Learned a lot along the way. There are patterns (at least I see them like so many shapes in clouds) that emerge when you look at so many disparate members in such a short time. Some I never crossed paths with as seemingly all they do is RPG. Males tend to make over-the-top claims about how many orcs that they've slain and nick themselves like "Lord Melkor's Bigger and Meaner Brother." Females talk about their friends and have cute bunny pictures (not beheaded) somewhere.

Generally speaking, of course.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #42
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Is anyone else having a problem with the reputation button? I just tried to give some out but the button wouldn't produce the window - on any thread.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Is anyone else having a problem with the reputation button? I just tried to give some out but the button wouldn't produce the window - on any thread.
Could be your browser and/or settings. Try right-clicking on the rep icon and 'opening link in new tab (or window)'.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #44
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks - that worked. I wonder why I've never had a problem with it before now...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #45
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

With the amount of code - OS, browser, vBulletin, pop-ups, anti-pop-ups, blockers, spam, etc - that changes minute to minute on computers that are somewhat individualized and maintained by novices (myself included in that set), to me it's a miracle that anything ever works.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #46
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Alatar's technique works. I just tested it by repping Shasta for the Werewolf thread.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #47
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe *pulling an H-I*

That table was, ahem, interesting . . . didn't know the old reputations system leader got over 50 000 pts.

I managed to save the comments from my WW game (just because I can), but . . . I miss the others.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #48
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Wow, Thenamir, someone's popular.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #49
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'd always wondered what would happen if I repped someone. Now we know.

Would anyone else like to shoot up there with Thenamir? I take bribes.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #50
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Why did you neg-rep him, tp?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

He didn't say "thank you".
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #52
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Help!

My family recently bought an Apple Computer and much to my chagrin I found out that the mouse doesn't have a right click button. Now I can't open a rep. box at all! Does anyone else have this problem or own an Apple Computer so that you can tell me how to fix this problem?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #53
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I command thee to hold down yon cloverlike command key!

Ahem. For Mac users, holding down the command key will simulate a right button.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #54
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I command thee to hold down yon cloverlike command key!

Ahem. For Mac users, holding down the command key will simulate a right button.
I've been trying it, but nothing has worked. Do you just put your arrow over the reputation button and press command, or is there something else that you have to do? I'm really bad with computers.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #55
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hold it down and click. It's the Apple equivalent of the right click, which is very annoying to me. Man up and get a second mouse button, Steve Jobs!

(sorry, a personal rant there)
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #56
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I've been trying it, but nothing has worked. Do you just put your arrow over the reputation button and press command, or is there something else that you have to do? I'm really bad with computers.
What Mac are you using? The newer Mac mice support right-click, though you have to enable it in System Preferences (yes, there's only one button, but if you push more on the right side, it knows what to do). Also, you can Control-Click on the rep icon and choose to open in a new tab. This link may be of some use.

If you continue to have issues, PM me with the specifics and we can walk it through. And note that as I work on both Macs and PCs, I've learned to 'love' both.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #57
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huzzah! Control-click works, Alatar! This is proof positive on what a wonderful community the Downs has. Just for taking the time you all will get reputation points!

I'm off to give some long overdue rep. points!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #58
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Twas nothing. Thanks for the rep, but know that you needn't have. Next time post on some thread where I've driven the discussion into the dirt and I'll be thrice as happy.

And, having been frustrated with computers and all things therein once or twice , I felt your pain.