The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Ah.....the ignorant!

I have some friend that are fans of the movie but not the books and lately they've been asking me if anyone dies in the third movie.<P>I enjoyed myself by telling them that three major characters kick the bucket and that one of the hobbits is in serious danger. I'm trying to get them so that when shelob attacks frodo they'll think he's really died. ( I'm so evil )<P>Do any of you taunt your friends who don't know what's going to happen next?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

That's actually become sort of a hobby for me.<BR>My one friend is convinced that Arwen dies (after seeing the preview), and I think that same friend believes that Frodo dies... I have not told her "yes" or "no" because I want to keep her guessing. I mean, if she really wanted to know she could read the books... I did buy them for her birthday afterall.<P>Funny story...<BR>I went to movies with my mom, and all of the ROTK posters are up. I'm walking by a guy who stops by the Sam and Frodo pic, stares a little, and then exclaims, "aw man! Frodo dies!"<BR>Then his friend walks up and goes, "he doesn't die... it looks like he's just... sleeping."<BR>And the first guy replies, "he's totally dead, look, Sam's crying and all..."<P>I starting snickering to myself and my mom was laughing at me, and I sung out to myself, "I know the answer, but I'm not gonna tell." They didn't hear me
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always wanted to try that, but I don't want to lie. But if someone ask like about Legolas, I give them a evil smirk. <BR>A few of my friends havn't read TTT, so I can't wait to hear them crying when Frodo 'dies'. <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 10-11-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Oh good, I'm not the only one who relishes the look of anguish on the ignorant mortals' faces when they think that Frodo dies. <P><BR>One of my friends only read part of RotK (she was browsing through the book) and she thought Faramir died!!!! I tried to get her to read the rest, telling her that the story would pick up, but she just wouldn't listen to me, so it wasn't my fault if she was deluded!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm trying to get them so that when shelob attacks frodo they'll think he's really died. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Same here! the only thing is, one of my friends read the last couple pages of RotK, because she knows it bugs me. *I want the ending to be a secret* So she....kinda knows. But I've convinced her that since she didn't read the appendices, she doesn't "really" know how it ends She's still very confused. <P>Another one of my friends is totally convinced that Frodo dies. She saw the poster, too, which is where she got the idea. Heh heh... I told them that if they want to know what happens, they should just read the books...
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Heh, when Aragorn fell off the cliff in TTT, my sis went sadly "Is he really dead? " I told her yes...she almsot killed me when it turned out he'd survived.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I guess I could have tricked one of my friends but since what she was asking me about really annoyed me I had to set her straight. The day after she saw TTT Towers she told me that Aragorn had a new lover AKA Eowyn. I told her that PJ put that love triangle in there for the hell of it and that Aragorn stays with Arwen and Eowyn marries Faramir. I guess I could still trick her because she is very forgetful when it comes to these things besides there is stuff in ROTK that would suggest to the non-reader that Aragorn does go after Eowyn. (See Trailer)

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do try, but my friends are too afraid that if they bring up the subject I'll go on forever ( ) to ask about the third film. And one of my friends is totally avoiding all spoilers. Oh well...I don't think I'd dare to try the whole 'Oh yeah, Legolas dies' thing, because I'm a Leggy fan myself and I just wouldn't be able to pull it off. I'd probably laughing at the time I told them...yeah that'd look really convincing, wouldn't it?
Old 10-12-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, Elentari, I <I>did</I> pull it off! My friend is an unbelievably horrid Leggybopper, and I told her that Legolas dies in RotK...I think I said that he got beheaded. No, wait! He got hit with an Orcish arrow! Er, wait...he got stabbed by a Nazgul and became a wraith...pick the one you prefer. And the thing is that she <I>believed</I> me! I keep telling her "Well, read the books! They're so good!" but she uses the famous excuse:<P>"But they're too long!"<P>Ah...when we go to see RotK, though...I'm going to have to run away before the end of the movie, because otherwise I'm dead.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, somehow my friend got the impression that Gimli died, but I set her straight. <BR>I am considering telling my Legolas-fangirl friends that he dies...could be fun <BR>I may try to trick my brother also, he's pretty slow. Yesterday I said to him 'the whole Aragorn-falling-off-the-cliff part totally lacked tension. We know he's not going to die, or why'd the book be called the Return of the King?' and he's like 'Aragorn's the <I>king???</I>' So I kind of spoiled it for him without realising. Well, it's his own fault.<p>[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 10-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #11
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I know some people who'll be devastated when any of the hobbits 'die'. First there'll be Frodo. Then possibly Merry, and then hopefully Pippin. Ooh, is that goign to be evil or what? Unless they cut it all out and I get very annoyed. But my friend's made sure that she sees RotK with me and so she can glance across at me and be able to tell if someone's really died or not. Quite a clever idea really.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:26 PM   #12
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dűm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ah...when we go to see RotK, though...I'm going to have to run away before the end of the movie, because otherwise I'm dead. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nah, you can just say, "Aw, Peter Jackson changed the books AGAIN!" <P>My brother thinks that Merry dies when he helps kill the Witch-king. He also thinks that Frodo doesn't want to throw the Ring into Mount Doom, so Sam grabs it from him and throws it in, and then Frodo jumps on after it. 0_o Dunno where he got that idea.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I actually don't feel too bad about telling my friends that one of the hobbits will die. It's true in a way. Because Gollum is considered a hobbit. But of course my friends would never figure out that riddle and now one of them thinks Merry dies. <P>My other friend keot talking about how it will be cool when Frodo gets to Mt. Doom. Everytime she did I would say, "How do you know he makes it that far?" <BR>Finally as we were talking about Shelob I said "And she kills Frodo too." My LotR friend was there too and she started to contradict me but I gave her a look and finally she got it.<P>So now I have one friend who's in on the joke and two others who are completely confused.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:41 PM   #14
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

A guy I know, was beginning to read LOTR, and I think they were showing the part in TTT (on the trailer) when Aragorn falls off the cliff. So this guy (having not read TTT yet) thought that Aragorn died. So he kept asking and asking me "Does Aragorn die?" at first I was like no no no, but then when he asked me again (I don't know why he just did) I said "Yes! And his ghost is ruling Gondor too!" this guy couldn't take a hint...no a straight answer!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:21 PM   #15
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I made the mistake of taking my mother to TTT when she hadn't seen the Fellowship first. When she saw the Fellowship at home she kept asking me for example during the Moria fight seen "Are they going to die?" My reply was always "Mother! Were they in the second one? YES! So are they going to die? NO!" But unfortunately she kept asking me at every dangerous part so finally I just didn't answer anymore.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:07 AM   #16
miellien
Animated Skeleton

miellien has just left Hobbiton.
OK, are you ready to laugh? My husband, who has not and will not read the books, has "summed up" the plot of the final movie for me -as if I needed it! Believe it or not, I managed to simply laugh and look away, not completely contradict him -Arwen goes to that West place(ok, I gave him some details), Aragorn marries that Eowyn chick,Gandalf goes to help Frodo and kills Gollum! Oh, I forgot. Merry and Pippn decide to live with the talking trees!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:50 AM   #17
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you see, these 'ignorant' people think we all cry just at DEATH.<P>I've explained to my missus (who thinks frodo and gimli die) that it's not neccesarily dying that will make us cry.<P>I've dropped a few hints, but she's not getting them. We'll all probably be crying at the grey havens. And for me in a different way I'll cry when Sam rescues frodo from cirith ungol, when Aragorn kneels before frodo and sam, and when merry says 'are you going to bury me' then gandalf says 'he should have been carried here in honour' (or whatever he says!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:50 AM   #18
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I tell people they all die, except Legolas, who wanders the earth alone, cause he missed the last boat.<P>Yeah, I know I'm evil...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:58 PM   #19
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I tried this joke during FOTR/TTT with Gandalf but the trailers all spoiled my fun so I haven't bothered this time. Plus, my only friends that talk about LOTR have actually read the books now, or just don;t care.<P>Oh well!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Well, my parents haven't read the books, so it was our privilage to listen to them ask questions and spoilers about RotK and/or TTT. Of course, we didn't spoil anything, but my parents talked to a friend of theirs who SPOILED EVERYTHING FOR THEM!! Man, was I mad about that.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:37 AM   #21
Ancalagon_the_Black
Newly Deceased

Ancalagon_the_Black has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*sighs with contentment* Concerning LotR, everyone I know has an IQ of ZILCH. I have a lovely life. One of them just has absolutely no idea what's going to happen. First I told him that Legolas was going to be permanently disabled by a mumakil. Then I told him that Sam was going to steal the Ring from Frodo and Frodo was going to kill himself. Then I told him that the whole 'Return of the King' thing had to do with Gimli becoming King of Moria. Now, this comes from a guy who thinks Frodo's full name was Frododin Baggins. Where'd that come from? He's also the guy who calls Arwen 'Erwin' and Eowyn 'Earowin'. he's even the guy who said that Sam was stupid because he called an elephant 'Oliphaunt'. So I get a lot of joy in antagonizing him. All the time.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #22
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Ancalagon_the_Black your cruel! <BR>"Who's going to die!" is a very popular question for me. When people find out I'm a Tolkien nut that's what they usually ask first. And I usually tell the truth, but in such detail that I don't think anybody understands me.<BR>"Theoden's gonna die," I say, "Killed by the lord of the Nazgul, but then Merry and Eowyn kick his arse!" They think I'm making it up.<P>Yesterday I spent about half an hour explaining the plot to my friend.<BR>He didn't understand why there was a third movie because there already was a king and the bad guys where finished. It took awhile to set him straight, but I'll wager he's still in the dark.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 AM   #23
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He, he he......<P>If don't want your wife to know the result of the Quest, then don't let her wash your new Ring Motif Return of the Ring coffee mug, as it states on the inside rim of the mug.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Ring is destoyed. It is over <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Whoops!!<P>She walked straight upstairs the other day whilst I was on my PC and confronted me with 'you've just ruined the end of the book for me!' I had no idea what she was on about (we had only just bought the mug from toysrus and she was washing it before she made me a cup of coffee!) and she quoted the cup!!!!<P>(She's currently reading lotr for the first time and trying to finish before rotk comes out. She's at Parth Galen at the mo, so some way to go.......)<P>Anyway, I tried to keep a straight face and then I said to her that did she really think Sauron would win and that the ring wouldn't be destroyed?<P>She, like most other 'ignorants' can't grasp any other reasons why people cry other than characters dying. She's now no doubt thinking that everyone survives (which they almost do) and wondering why on earth I've told her to go equipped on dec 17th with a box of tissues. Also, my sister has just popped over from frisco and explained to her that she won't go to see the film because the ending will be too sad....!!!!!<P>Oh, it's a great laugh, winding up the uninitiated!!!! Serves her right for not reading lotr the number of times I've badgered her about it over the last 17 years!<p>[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:46 AM   #24
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Oh, Faramir fan, I almost fell off my seat laughing!!!!!!!! Missed the last boat!!!!!!!<P>I really wish that would work here...but going to a grammar school and all that, I'm not exactly the only one who's read it. And I'm generally very considerate...ahem... ...and I don't give people spoilers if they don't want any. Ok, so I have to definitely NOT give any to my dad, because I'm grounded til Christmas anyway...I don't want to antagonize him. I have to help him forget that he grounded me...come to think of it, I can't actually remember why I was grounded in the first place. <BR>And my friend who doesn't want spoilers...hmmm, I accidentally on purpose showed her a picture of Shelob. And the pyre of Denethor...hehehe<BR>But I haven't even tried telling anyone who will die. Oooh, I can think of someone I can try it on....muahahahaha. Oh bummer, it's half term. Oh well...
Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #25
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

My best friend had only read the Hobbit, the fellowship, and The Two Towers up until recently. He used to always ask what was going to happen in the RoTK until he realised that I was just giving him BS answers all of the time and he bought the book. I'm still upset he spoiled my fun. Luckily I still have two Leggy-bopper younger sisters who wrote the book on naďveté.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:10 PM   #26
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

BS???? What is that?<BR>My God, aren't we a vindictive lot??? Shouldn't you be glad you have a convert?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:32 PM   #27
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I do it all the time. I have my sister, and about 7 of my friends at school convinced that Frodo and/or Legolas is going to die. It's fun. It really is.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:39 PM   #28
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have convinced my brothers friend that Frodo dies!!! At first he didn't belive me 'cause my brother and I were telling him all kinds of things but my brother backed me up (he's read the books too ) and then we read him the part in TTT where Sam thinks Frodo's dead (I covered the cover so he wouldn't know it was TTT and not ROTK) This is SOOOO fun!!!!
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #29
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A few weeks ago I was in a store in which they were playing the Two Towers as a demo on one of their television sets. I was standing there watching it when a group of girls stood behind me and started watching. One of them saw Faramir and said, <BR> "Hey, isn't that the guy who kills Sam?"<BR> I burst out laughing. I believe they thought I was insane...
Old 11-01-2003, 06:10 PM   #30
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oooh, you people are horrible! I might have to join your lofty ranks...<BR>My little sister asked me once if Legolas died (she's another Leggy-bopper). I can't remember what I told her...if she asks again I shall have to make up some fantastic tale.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:58 PM   #31
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
I think I've convinced one of my friends that Frodo dies! *Woohoo!* We walked past the poster of him looking all dirty and angsty and I gave a little shreik and said "Oh! He's gonna die!" (I didn't even mean to say it...I don't know where it came from) And her eyes shot open and she was like "Frodo dies?!" Mua ha ha ha! <P>The lovely thing is, it's possible for anyone to die in LotR. I mean, it really wouldn't seem unlikely to someone who's only seen the movies. Heh heh heh. Which means we can bend and twist the non-book readers to our will!
Old 11-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #32
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Elizabeth Elindel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, I HAD to get in on this!!! :-) Let's see... my firend's younger brother was in the middle of the RotK, and he kept asking who was going to throw the ring into the fire. He went though EVERY charactor, and at last came to Gollum... I said, "now, why would Gollum do that?? He wants to get the ring for himself..!" I think I'll remain hidden when he finishes the books.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:23 PM   #33
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I told my friend that Gandalf dies when we saw FotR, which is true, but I didn't mention him coming back. Then my friend bought TTT, though not Fellowship.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:51 PM   #34
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't believe how mean people can be towards people who haven't read the books.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:21 PM   #35
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

oh i had the most fun in my life going to see FOTR with my friend who was still reading it. she kept asking when someone was going to die so we told her frodo died in moria and she believed us and then told her that 'sam goes and gets himself killed' running into the anduin after frodo. 'oh you shouldn't tell me stuff like that!' was so funny. then he didn't die and she was like, 'but you said he died!'. ahahaha...
Old 11-02-2003, 03:35 PM   #36
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I had the greatest time of my life on Saturday! I was taking the SAT I, and I overheard a group of Leggy-boppers (I assumed they were Leggy-boppers from their conversation) talking frenziedly about how hot Legolas and the Elf army were. The second I realized that they hadn't read the books (believe me, you can tell a mile away! My Tolkien Sensor was beeping fit to kill an oliphaunt!), I sauntered over there, and fed them this Mary-Sue tale about how Legolas falls in love with Arwen, and after her death, marries Gimli on the rebound, and en-route to Valinor at the very end, dies in a horrible shipwreck off of Numenor!!!!!!! It was so incredibly price-less!!!!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #37
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Rotflol!!!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote