The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting Gathering of the White Council

This may have been discussed before because I remember turning it over in my head for some time, but then I forgot about it until now. Here goes.

Do you think the White Council actually needed to hold meetings? With Osanwe Kenta it should have been unnecessary for the wisest of all Middle-Earth to need to gather together.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Durelen ]
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is a reference in U.T to a council that was being held in Rivendell, so they problably did meet up. Oh yeah, which council you refering to the one of the Second or Third Age?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #3
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

I didn't really mean to see if they did, I wanted to know if you thought it was necessary for them.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

It depends on a couple factors, seems to me. What was the purpose of the White Council? To further the purposes of Manwe in specific, and of the good of the Free Peoples in general - right?

Additionally, even powerful beings have a need for community. From Isengard to Rivendell Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond were near each other, and enjoyed each other's company. So whereas they no doubt could send thought over distances, they would just as likely choose to be near each other spatially.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We really do not know enough about osanwe [Kenta by the way means 'enquiry into'] to say wether they would or would not have needed to have regular meetings.

It could be that the agendas were so large that it would be taxing or impossibe for all or some.

Also, even the Valar would meet together for council. If anyone could get away from the need for face to face communication it would be them.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

To be truly representative of the "free peoples", shouldn't the White Council have included representatives of the nations of Man, such as Rohan and Gondor (which would have precluded telepathic conferencing)? Why were they excluded.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

The white council was a meeting of the 'wise', were the men not deemed sufficiently 'wise'?

Additionally, it seems to have met quite infrequently, perhaps every 50-100 years depending on world events, obviously not ideal for mannish delegates!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:42 AM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I doubt whether any delegates form the Rohhirm or Northmen would have been invited, though the chieftan or king of Northern Dunedian may have been.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:54 AM   #9
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

In Letters of Tolkien, JRRT speaks unfavourably of democracy (though not at length, at least not yet - I'm only halfway through). He even goes to the trouble of pointing out that the actual Greek translation is "mob rule", and that the system was not preferred by Greece's philosophers, who were of course her greatest legacy.

I don't find it odd at all that the fate of Middle-Earth was being decided by a select few individuals, or that politics didn't come into it. The White Council was looking after all that was good in Middle-Earth, and didn't need to be concerned with borders or realms as the states of, for example, Gondor, Rohan or Dale did.

I agree that the strain of prolonged Osanwë was the main reason that the Council needed to physically gather, and so yes it was necessary for them to do so.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:56 AM   #10
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

The White Council as a body, I have always presumed to include the Istari when they came, but was there one before? And if so, who would have been in it?
Old 01-29-2003, 08:24 AM   #11
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

There was one in the Second Age, in which the people decided what to do with Sauron, just before the last Alliance. I imagine it consited of:

Gil-Galad
Elrond
Elendil
Anrarion
Isildur
Elendur
Maybe Melendil
Durin 4th
Cirdan
Galadriel
Celeborn
Either Mal-Galad or Amroth, or both.
Either Oropher or Thranduil, or both.
Glorfindel
And other possible Elven/Mannish advisors.

Old 02-05-2003, 11:39 PM   #12
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
ósanwe 'communication or interchange of thought'. Apparently composed of the prefix o- "used in words describing the meeting, junction, or union of two things" (WJ:367 s.v. *WO) + sanwe (q.v.).
It seems to me that ósanwe might not include the ability to relay the same thought to several different minds. Perhaps it does allow that, but tires out the person's mind. We're not given an entire roster of the White Council - did it include men and/or dwarves? It's possible that they didn't have the ability to transmit thoughts - only receive them blessed with that ability. Is it also possible that were not aware of it? Did they have the strength of mind and thought to do it?

It'd also be more difficult when everyone started talking at once.