The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield Death of Saruman Confirmed? **SPOILERS**

I was browsing around and came across this mini-article with Ian McKellan that basically confirms that Saruman will indeed fall from a height and "come to a sticky end", as Ian McKellan puts it. You can read it and weep <A HREF="http://www.killermovies.com/l/lotrthereturnoftheking/articles/3037.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A>. I just hope Wormtongue stabs him first...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's been a picture floating around for quite sometime (even before The Two Towers was released) of Saruman lying chest up with a large spike (from a mill or something?) going all the way through his abdomen.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen that picture, Legolas. And Saruman was supposed to die at the end of Towers?!? Ooh, PJ would have gotten SO many death threats...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #4
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Yeah, I saw that picture too, but when I saw it, everyone was sure that it was just to throw us off. I think that Ian McKellan has basically confirmed how Saruman will die in ROTK, unless of course PJ is paying him double to throw us off again.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
Old 07-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

i heard that they shot a few different deaths for saruman, but if they want to use the "sticky wheel"-one, well fine. i just hope that they do it stylishly.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I see wormtongue pushing Saruman off a very large something, onto a spikey..something.<P>-Beren, the neighborhood seer.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
Theoric Windcaller
Haunting Spirit

Theoric Windcaller has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

**SPOILER**<P>**MAJOR SPOILER**<P>**SERIOUSLY**<P><BR>I have heard from some sources that the last installment (TRotK) will not include the chapter, "The Scourging of the Shire."
Old 07-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Scouring of the Shire will not be included. Wormtonuge will slit Saruman's throat on top of Orthanc ( or inside of Isengard? ); then throw him of the top of the tower ( or out of a window? ). That much is confirmed. The spikey wheel throw the abdomen thing has only about a 30-70 chance of having made the final cut, since lots of LOTR fans already had seen leaked pics of it for quite some time now...still, don't count it out.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #9
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

All I have to say is that if it comes from Ian McKellan's mouth, then it's the truth. Too bad about the Scouring, that was like THE greatest part! But this scene (if he ends up falling onto the spikes) will pay homage to Lee's role as Dracula.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:37 PM   #10
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Grrrr!!! Oh well, I hope they at least have the part where his spirit rises up and looks west and gets blown away. That was pretty awesome when I read it (the 2nd time, after reading Silm and understanding all about the Istari). If they don't put that in there I'll be kind of annoyed (not majorly "Kill PJ, this movie sucks, but still ticked off).
Old 07-08-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Well put.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And Saruman was supposed to die at the end of Towers?!? Ooh, PJ would have gotten SO many death threats... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>One of them would have been from me that's for sure. I don't have a clue why PJ is going about things as he is. The only logical explanation for not putting the Scouring of the Shire in that I can think of is that PJ is planning to do more with the apendixes. (Aragorn's and Arwen's death, Legolas and Gimli crossing the sea, Sam and Rosey's huge litter of little hobbits, ect...)

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:55 AM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, the reason he's making so many changes is that if they stuck with the books, they would have a 3+ hour movie. I don't think the non-Tolkien audience would sit through that, and that is mainly who the movie is being made for. Unfortunately, we are the minority.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #14
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

This agitates me. I was really p*ssed off/dissapointed with all the changes in TTT and now this! Grr... *Smoke comes out of my ears* I hope PJ doesn't change too much else.<P>I say, okay, let them leave out some parts (for instance, the beginning of FotR,) but atleast get the parts that do go in right!
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

And quit adding stuff that doesn't fit well:<BR>#1-Farimir being crooked<BR>#2-The entire Osgiliath business<BR>#3-Aragorn remembering he & Arwen's talk back in Rivendell<BR>#4-Aragorn's cliff-falling 'accident'<BR>#5-Theoden becoming a lesser version of Denethor (although it fit better than the above)<BR>#6-Replacing Erkenbrand w/ Eomer, so we can't see Eomer at Helm's Deep in action<BR> The warg seen was added, but it fit right in to the movie, so it was fine.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Guys, instead of complaining, why not realize that all these changes make the movie better? I mean, granted Faramir isn't supposed to be an *** , but wasn't that little twist exciting? Didn't it add to the drama? That was what PJ wanted. I'm sorry to disillusion most of you, but those changes were implemented for a reason, and whining about them won't help a thing. They'll just ruin the movies for us. So for Eru's sake, stop whining!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

It added a little more drama, but if you put Shelob in there instead, THAT is what would add whatever you can possibly think of to the movie. Also, these things are not always for the better. PJ will be squashed for time now in RotK.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:01 PM   #18
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>PJ will be squashed for time now in RotK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He'll make up for it by not filming the Scouring of the Shire.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:22 PM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yeah, but that doesn't make me feel much better ( or other fans )! Anyhoo, my point was: He still has to get in Shelob, Minas Morgul, & the Wizard Confrontation; & I'd rather've had him leave out a few of his own ammendments, & get the important stuff IN. Instead of trying to figure out what he can leave OUT.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yeah, but that doesn't make me feel much better ( or other fans )!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too, but what can we do about it? (by the way, didn't you notice my "mad" icon in the last post? That shows that I DIDN'T like the fact.)
Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yes I did. I was showing that I was unhappy about it too.