The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #1
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Faramir and Eowyn Lament

Was anyone else dissapointed that, RotK didn't show much of the relationship between Faramir and Eowyn? Just a glance and them together in a camera shot. This was one of my favourite parts in the book, and it makes all the suffering both characters have felt, worthwhile, as they meet each other. The romantic role again seems to be hogged by Arwen and her dramatic "shes dying" scene, it seems unfair.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I was disappointed, as it is one of my favourite parts of the book. But I understand that it is hard to devote enough time to a relationship that needs to through full development in so short a space. But then I wouldn't mind spending the extra time in the cinema...<P>They could have cut some of Arwen out...<P>Btw, great avatar!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I did miss that part. I was very conscious of it not being there (much more than I was when they missed other things out). We saw Merry and Eowyn injured, and then suddenly they were better again. It would have been nice to have something in between, and of course a happy ending for Faramir and Eowyn. It would have wrapped up both of their charcaters tales nicely, but I understand why they missed it out. It would have taken quite a long time to sufficiently build up their relationship, and as it happened in such a short space of time in the books they may have needed more space and time for detail. Well, I really hope that it makes the EE (along with the Mouth of Sauron, of course).
Old 01-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that whole "stare-at-each-other-like-we-want-to-eat-each-other" thing just confused non-Tolkien audiences. Peter Jackson shouldn't have put that in there. A bunch of people in the theater started going "Why are they checking each other out?" when they saw that part.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

I heard that they were going to put that into the extended version of The Return of the King. I really hope that they do, for it was one of my favorite parts of that book, and it deserves to be put in the movie. Like, the rest of you, I wish that they had cut out a bit of Arwen's many scenes and put in the Romance of Faramor and Eowyn.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I did miss that part. I was very conscious of it not being there (much more than I was when they missed other things out). We saw Merry and Eowyn injured, and then suddenly they were better again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yea, that was definitely the missing scene I was most conscious of not being there. Especially when both at one point are lying screaming on the ground holding their arms...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Houses of Healing scene was definitely shot - there's even a photo, in the Photo Guide, of Aragorn healing Faramir, with Ioreth standing nearby, so presumably Merry and Eowyn will be there too, although Eowyn was last seen looking healthy enough, sobbing over Theoden's body - and I'm told that the wedding scene of Faramir and Eowyn was shot too, someone reports seeing it, so be patient - it will be there in the extended version. They may even show it in the cinema, as they did the extended versions of the first two (oh, my poor backside!).
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
Everlen
Pile O'Bones

Everlen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

If they do put the wedding in there I will be so happy! I saw that picture of the Houses of Healing also, so I really hope they do a good job w/ it. They really built up the stories of the both of them in the movies, then all they get is one shot... not fair at all! Hopefully they will put in the whole bit about Eowyn no longer wishing for death and renoun in battle, but devoting her life to growing things and healing. Then there is also the part where their hair mingles in the wind, raven and gold, and he doesn't care that people are watching! *sigh* Sorry, I am a bit of a romanticist! But I am sure that you all agree!
Everlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
The Great Shadowfax
Pile O'Bones

The Great Shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Great Shadowfax
Sting

yes, it is a great loss in the movie. one of my favorite parts! but a lot of other favorite parts were cut out- like when Eomer becomes king!
The Great Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
morchaint

Sting

Everlen, I don't think we're going to see a mingling of <I>raven</I> and gold hair...<P>A glance at the coronation was not enough for a lot of people. There are people out there who are <I>convinced</I> that Legolas and Eowyn are a couple, and some others are wondering why 'Tolkien never put them together in the first place' (coming from people who have never read the books, obviously) <BR>Besides, the whole Arwen/Aragorn/Eowyn thing wasn't entirely resolved. It seemed as if a lot of time was spent into creating this 'triangle' and it wasn't even resolved. Eowyn and Faramir smiling shows that they have happy endings, but, how did that happy ending come? <P>For my friends (who haven't read the books), thank God they have (no offense) working minds, the glance at the coronation was enough...
Old 01-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Gimpel the Fool
Pile O'Bones

Gimpel the Fool has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gimpel the Fool
White-Hand

I was disappointed that they took out the love story between Faramir and Eowyn (which happens to be my favorite love story in the books), with the reason being that we had no satisfaction of seeing Eowyn "unwind" so-to-speak, and seeing Faramir's only time spent as the "Lord of Gondor" was dearly missed.

"As epic as you are, we must adjourn this meeting and return in the future"
Gimpel the Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:50 AM   #12
Moonmaid
Pile O'Bones

Moonmaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I kinda guessed it wouldn't be there, and the glance warmed my heart I'm quite the romanticist and Faramir and Éowyn are my two favorite characters, so waiting for the EE is going to be SOOO long. But I have my hopes up that those upcoming scenes will be great. <P>Faramir and Éowyn looked so good together.... I guess some of you have seen the photo showing them standing together at the coronation. Theis costumer are so lovely!
Old 01-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Through the entire trilogy, I don't think there is any absence I noticed as much as the absence of Faramir and Éowyn's romance. I'm a total hopeless romantic, and one of my favourite parts of the book is that particular storyline. I think most of the screen time went to Arwen and Aragorn because the directors felt they had to have a romance for the movie to appeal to the non-book-worshipping masses, and Arwen and Aragorn's romance could carry through all three parts of the trilogy, whereas we didn't even meet Éowyn and Faramir until TTT. But I've always found Éowyn and Faramir's story equally beautiful, and certainly it seemed more significant in the books than Arwen and Aragorn's relationship. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only romance Tolkien goes into detail to describe the development of in the actual body of the story.<P>Another reason why I missed that scene was that I felt as if Éowyn and Faramir really contributed to that theme of keeping hope and not giving in to despair. It shows that, though Éowyn could not have Aragorn, there is still life after love lost, and hope and joy returned to her heart again. <P>Also I really loved the visual image of the moment when "their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air", which of course would not be in the movie, neither of them cast as having raven hair, but such is life, and I thought Faramir was very well portrayed in spite of his non-raven-haired-ness.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
daisy willow

Sting

Count me in as someone who was disappointed in not seeing the Eowyn and Faramir scenes.<BR>....as well as Eomer being crowned king and then finding Eowyn 'dead'. Those were some of my favorite scenes I hoped to see in the theatrical version.....but I'm patience after hearing that others think these scenes will be included in the EE. Otherwise, my pen was ready to bombard PJ with letters.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Disappointed that the relationship wasn't brought out more? No question about it. I don't know that the look between the two 'confused' the audience, but it was no where near justice for the two. Perhaps if they where already married he could've shown rings on their fingers or something (did they have engagement rings back then?), but he deffinitly neglected the two.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:58 AM   #16
Sethoz

Sting

I was really dissopointed at the lack of Faramir/Ewoyn as well. <BR>I always thought it was a better romance that A/A. Just a thing though, does anyone know of a site on-line that has these piccis of the House of Healing? I've never seen them and after what I've read in this thread I really want to!<P>~Sethoz
Old 01-06-2004, 12:32 PM   #17
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well it's no secret about how I feel about the lack of Faramir/Eowyn scenes. That being said, I heard the spoiler about the scenes being cut before I saw the movie and I was glad I did. Normally I don't like to know things ahead of time, but this was different, because I would have been waiting for the HoH or Steward and the King sequence and when I saw them standing together at the Coronation, I would have been devastated...and then mad, which probably would have resulted in me not enjoying the rest of the movie.<P>By knowing ahead of time, I was prepared and am hoping that PJ won't torture me as long as he did for the TT, waiting for an extended edition. I want to see those scenes so bad. I know alot of what was filmed from AICN, I know what he has available to draw from, he's just making me wait a little longer for it...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #18
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Indeed, I was also very disappointed that Eowyn and Faramir's relationship was not shown. I think it is one of the most romantic things I've ever read. But that may also have to do with the fact that Eowyn and Faramir are some of my favorite characters. For them to have gotten together, to me, was amazing. They both changed each others lifes for the better.<BR>Also a friend of mine (who has only seen the movies) is an Arwen fan, and doesnt like Eowyn going after Aragorn. And I have been dying to tell her that Eowyn ends up with someone better for her anyways, but did not want to ruin it for her when she saw RotK. Now she won't get to see it, and still think Eowyn is pinning over Aragorn. Another person I know, who saw Rotk, was saying that Eowyn would never have been so happy when Aragorn and Arwen get together and the end. It ends Eowyn and Faramir's characters left untied. <BR>I do understand that PJ couldn't include everything, and it was better for him to just countinue with the relationship he had already started (Aragorn/Arwen) then try to cram in a new one. I just wish Eowyn and Faramir could have had thier moment in the theatrical release.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #19
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of the greatest disappointments of the entire film, maybe even of all the three films. I was so looking forward to seeing the development of the Eowyn-Faramir story, and I could hardly believe that the movie had ended with only a single glance between the two to indicate that they had actually ended up with each other. It also left the storylines of Eowyn and Faramir hanging. People who haven't read the books will be wondering how Eowyn could have possibly gotten over Aragorn that quickly. I know I would have if I wasn't fortunate enought o have read the books before watching the movies.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 AM   #20
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I can't wait to see that scene...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You are no niggard, Eomer, to give the most beautiful thing in your kingdom to Gondor. -King Elessar<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I sure hope you're right about the EE- I figured it would be, but oohh... can't wait.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #21
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

What really bothered me about ROTK was that they left out really great parts (the Houses of Healing, for one) and put in really stupid things that in some cases aren't consistant with the books, especialy the whole 'Arwen is dying' and Frodo's 'I am drunk and have no knees, I am going to fall down now'. I continue to ask myself "what were they thinking?!" And Faramir and Eowyn getting together has always been one of my favourites, I shall be very angry if the EE isn't <B>a lot</B> better.<p>[ 9:37 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Elassar 516 ]
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #22
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I understand perfectly well that they couldn't fit in the romance between Faramir and Eowyn. However, I think those that have read the books actually have an advantage in that department over those who didn't. My aunt, who has never read them, told me that she was confused about the whole "side story," involving the death of Denethor and the saving of Faramir by Pippin. She said that after that, she didn't see him again anymore (I suppose she didn't catch the fleeting glance of him at the end). I think that Peter Jackson, though perhaps he couldn't fit the whole thing in, could at least have hinted at something, so as to give the Faramir and Eowyn characters a bit more closure for fans of the book, and especially non-book fans, who really have no idea where they ended up.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #23
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

After watching the movie again, it appeared to me that Eowyn was wearing a wedding dress. <P>From PJs past EEs and the stuff he has included within them, I am sure that he will not cut something so "big" and loved from the Extended Edition.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #24
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

We can only hope that PJ hasn't tired of these films or is looking forward to King Kong and does a good job on the EE. I think the EE of Fellowship wasn't as choppy as the EE TTT. Well, here's to the EE ROTK!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #25
Eponine

Sting

I was completely speechless.<P>As far as the movie audience knows, both Eowyn and Faramir are still dreadfully unhappy. Think about it, Faramir's father just burned himself alive, and tried to do the same to Faramir. If that doesn't get a guy down, I don't know what will.<P>And not only did Arwen marry Aragorn, but Theoden died. That had to have made Eowyn miserable. Pete didn't say anything about either of them, so when the movie ends, the audience doesn't know what'll happen with that. Leaving the 'knot' untied ( ) probably left a lot of people scratching their heads.<P>And I hope we do see that in The Extended Edition, my favorite part in the book is the Houses of Healing.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #26
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield

Scenes involving the Houses of Healing and the Eowyn/Faramir romance were filmed, so I'll be surprised if they are not in the EE. I remember reading an interview with Miranda Otto prior to the release of RotK where she sounded slightly miffed that the romance scenes were cut.<P>I agree mostly with what's been said. I don't have a problem with scenes from the book being left out when they are unnecessary for the purposes of the story being told in the films (such as Tom Bombadil). <P>For me, the problem here lies in the fact that it leaves the "film story" incomplete. Audiences are left wondering what happened to these fairly major characters, and simply showing them at the end smiling at each other isn't enough to make up for that. It's likely that many people missed it and, even if not, it doesn't tell us how and why they got to that point, bearing in mind where we left them.<P>So I agree that this is something that Jackson and co should have made time for in the theatrical release.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:06 PM   #27
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Three words; EE Wrap Up<P>It was said by Peter Jackson during an interview that the Extended Edition would contain: A Sequence Resolving Saruman, The Mouth Of Sauron, and the Houses of Healing.<P>It should've been touched on more in the movie itself, but beggers can't be choosers. I had to explain the story resolution to some friends who didn't

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:16 AM   #28
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I really pity those who watched the movie without reading the book. The first part of "The Steward and the King" was one of the best parts of the book in my opinion, and I was totally disappointed when it wasn't in the movie after waiting for so long, imagining how it would be shown. I was assured, though, that it would be in EE. I think my avatar came from that part, since I didn't see that scene in the movie.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #29
Sangal

Sting

I was very upset about they didn't show the house of healing and Faramir-Eowyn line. This is one of my fav parts too. But we can surely see it in EE (I've read an interview with Miranda Otto about this). EE will be available in November 2004. <P>Btw, Lhunardawen, nice signature
Old 02-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #30
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Am I correct in saying the Houses of Healing picture is to be found on the official website?

I was v.v.v.v.v.v.v. disappointed by the complete lack of an Eowyn/Faramir romance in the film as they are my favourite characters. I cry over the Houses of Healing in the book and I was annoyed it wasn't in the film. But nevermind, still have a whole year to wait for the EE *bangs head against wall*
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #31
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Yes, all they put in was just a shot of them at Aragorn's coronation but let's wait and see what the EE brings us.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #32
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
You know, for one of Tolkien's favorite characters, Faramir sure endured a lot in the films. I mean, tons of people were up in arms about the TT portrayal (yes, I was one of them) before the EE - and even after, I know I couldn't help thinking, 'Couldn't you have put in the Sons of the Steward scene instead of Aragorn's fake death? I mean, honestly, which is more relevant to the plot?'

If there's one reason for me to like FotR better than RotK, it's because when watching FotR I remember what a fantastic character Boromir is, made even better by the films. When I watch RotK, I can't quite remember exactly why I love Faramir as much as I do when I'm reading The Siege of Gondor or The Steward and the King.

All right, onto The Steward and the King (as that is what this thread is really about). I would understand its being cut if Eowyn were as downplayed as Faramir. Frankly, I don't think any movie-goers who haven't read the books care all that much about Faramir, unless they have friends who do or they really like David Wenham.

But Eowyn... Eowyn's such a good character, even in the movies. Her crush on Aragorn was staring at you in the face every time she had a scene with him. And then it's just *poof* he tells her he can't be with her and she's fine with that? Isn't that a little hard to swallow? When I read that the romance wouldn't be in the movies my inner Faramir fangirl was horrified. Then my reason kicked in and I thought, 'Wait, so Eowyn's just... alone? How can they just leave her hanging? Haven't they worked themselves into a corner?'

Now that I think about it, I'm still a bit peeved. Okay, not that peeved. But I would have so much rather seen growth in Eowyn's character than Arwen whining about Aragorn.