The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Pippin always in Trouble?

I find it kind of funny that Pippin is always getting into trouble in the movies. At the Mines of Moria he knocks the skeleton into the well, at the Prancing Pony he gives away Frodo's name as a Baggins, He steals the palantir and almost ruins everything, etc.<P>I think PJ seems to blame EVERYTHING on Pippin. Pippin doesn't make all the trouble though. Merry throws the first stone into the lake outside of Moria for example. What other trouble is made by someone else besides Pippin? What other trouble is made by Pippin? Book and Movie referances can be made.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Merry throws the first stone into the lake outside of Moria for example.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think Boromir also throws a stone here! Fool of a Son of Gondor! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Merry throws the first stone into the lake outside of Moria for example.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Boromir also throws a stone here! Fool of a Son of Gondor!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Actually Boromir was the only one to throw a stone in that pool, although you could've been meaning that, Lyta_Underhill .<P>But hey, look on the bright side: Pippin was the one who discovered the trail of appels leading to the storehouse at Isengard !<p>[ 6:22 PM February 07, 2004: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Yes, Pippin normally gets himself into a bit of trouble but I think PJ really wanted to show how much he changes over the course of the movies. Though some changes from the books about Pippin did bother me, I think it really showed how much he had grown in the end.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But hey, look on the bright side: Pippin was the one who discovered the trail of appels leading to the storehouse at Isengard <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Always a silver lining! And I love how he finds a turkey floating in the water too...
Old 02-07-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the way PJ portrayed Pipin(He kind of reminds me of Pandora(Greek Mythology) All her curiosity got her in trouble, but in the end things all work out) Though his countinuous trouble making was a bit jaring It's like the old saying<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Curiosity killed the cat...but satisfaction brought him back<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> If it wasn't for him Gadalf would be dead, Faramir as well... I think?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

Yes he saved Faramir from being burned alive, Gandalf was going to be sticked by an orc from behind and Pippin got him before he could get Gandalf.

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:54 AM   #7
Rowan14

The Eye

Yes i agree with gilalad tho he got everyone into alot of troube he also got them out of it besides hes funny and really cute
Old 02-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't listen to him what does he know...it was I who suggested that he was the hero in the first place, I should get the credit
Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He wonderfully makes all his mistakes right in the end. <P>i doubt a mere Orc could have killed Gandalf the White though.<P>"I am on a mission from God!" to quote one of my favorite movies. Such a person wouldn't be killed by a mere puppet of evil I suspect.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
I think PJ seems to blame EVERYTHING on Pippin.
Well to be truthful, Pippin unintentionally causes a lot of trouble. But then you have to remember he's just a curious little tweenager, so of course he makes more mistakes than, oh say, a thousand year old elf.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:14 AM   #11
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Don't forget that he managed to turn Treebeard around, and what would've happened to the story if he hadn't managed that? But yeah, he does mostly do things wrong (and I love him for it).
Old 02-19-2004, 07:16 AM   #12
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
I think PJ seems to blame EVERYTHING on Pippin.
Actually...it's also our Good Professor Tolkien. Let's see...in the books:
Who talks before thinks at the Prouncing Pony? -Pippin
Who drops a stone into an abyss in Moria? -Pippin
Who steals the palantir from Gandalf? -Pippin
Old 02-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Who talks before thinks at the Prancing Pony? -Pippin
Actually, he didn't. Frodo and Strider were worried that he would; so Frodo jumped up on the table as a distraction and ended making the situation far worse than anything Pippin would have said. To quote the good book:
Quote:
"Well?" said Strider, when he [Frodo] reappeared. "Why did you do that? Worse than anything your friends could have said!"
Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-20-2004, 03:56 AM   #14
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Actually, he didn't. Frodo and Strider were worried that he would
Yes, I know, but my point is that Pippin didn't pay attention if it's appropriate to talk so much about the Shire so PJ's "foolish" Pippin is based on the book IMHO.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
I still would have liked to see Frodo dancing on a table and singing, though! Fool of a Baggins! The bad thing is, that when Frodo messes up, he pays dearly for it. It seems to be a mixed blessing when Pippin screws up, though, if you subscribe to the notion that Gandalf's fall in Moria was necessary to his gaining the necessary power to meet the Dark Forces in battle as Gandalf the White and that Pippin's stone precipitated it. Also, Pippin saves Gandalf again (so to speak) when he takes the Palantir and learns its true nature, confusing the enemy and saving Gandalf from a trial he wasn't sure he was ready for. Pippin's trouble seemed to really advance things and he seems to me like God's Fool, oblivious but charmed, protected by Providence until he comes to his maturity. Frodo, on the other hand, gets a sharp bit of metal in his shoulder, a sting, a bit off finger...all such bad things when he loses his focus, perhaps because he's all grown up and should know better! But with our younger movie Frodo, it just looks like a whole lot of bad luck and Frodo just got in over his head--yet another shift between the movie and the book, I suppose. But I also hold out hope that the ROTK:EE will clarify some of the muddled palantir lore that arose from including Pippin's dramatic "magnetic lightning ball" experience while leaving out Aragorn's and Denethor's relationships with said seeing stones. But I suppose that is a bit of an extension on this topic, so...I take my leave...for now.

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Although he also 'saves' Gandalf from an orc, is responsible for the lighting of the beacons, tricked Treebeard into attacking Saruman, & did other things that count for something good . (not to mention what I said earlier in this thread, finding the guardhouse at Orthanc)!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Totally! Pippin and I are fool of a tooks together! Cause I act alot like him to. By the way its hard being 31 and mentally handicapped at the same time so I understand Pippin's foolishness alot. Love this little sweet hobbit!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote