The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Actually, I wouldn't describe the films as Jackson's "interpretation" of the books, since an interpretation would involve presenting the story as originally told, but with the interpreter's 'spin'. For example, in a production of a Shakespeare play, certain characters or themes might be emphasised but the words remain the same.<P>But, as we all know, Jackson took certain .. er, how shall I put it ... liberties with the story. Not something that I have a major problem with, since I can enjoy the films as distinct from the books (which, great though the films are in my view, undoubtedly remain the superior works of art). So, I would describe the films as <I>adaptations</I> rather than interpretations.<P>As to the question, well all I will say is that I liked far more about the films than I disliked. It would be simpler to list my dislikes than my likes, but since I have addressed these exhaustively on other threads, I will refrain from doing so here (other than to irritably mutter my wholehearted disapproval of those hyena-lemming-stuffed teddybear things .)<P>Actually, I will say one thing, since, contrary to what many have said on this thread, I liked the film's idea of Lothlorien. Admittedly, it was not the Golden Wood presented in the book, but I do not think that it would have worked well in film terms for the mood to have been lightened up too much here since this would have broken up the tension created in the previous scenes. So, I think that the idea of a dark, mysterious and slightly-disconcerting Lothlorien works well on film. Having said that, however, I don't think that the execution of the idea worked too well, since it seemed far too "film set-ish" and therefore, for me, lacked realism.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #42
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Having said that, however, I don't think that the execution of the idea worked too well, since it seemed far too "film set-ish" and therefore, for me, lacked realism.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> Yes, although I can't seem to think of a way for PJ to have made it look more real without lessening it's 'looks'. I fyou know what I mean.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>other than to irritably mutter my wholehearted disapproval of those hyena-lemming-stuffed teddybear things .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>For some reason those didn't annoy me very much at all. I think he could've done better, but I don't think they looked as rediculous as some people think (not just you Saucepan Man ). Others also have problems with his portrayel of the 'winged beasts', but I again don't think he did to badly on them either. Granted, neither of the two aforemention creatures impressed me very much, but neither of them disapointed me either.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #43
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I feel I should revive this old topic to post what I - and all of you in the Barrow Downs - appreciate about Peter Jackson's ROTK.<P>I shall begin:<BR>- Minas Tirith. The set was breathtaking.<BR>- The scene where Faramir and his men set out to battle, interspersed with an evil-looking Denethor enjoying his meal - with Pippin singing solo in the background. It was a little <I>too</I> dramatic but it had great visual, auditory and emotional impact.<BR>- The orc make up / costumes. Don't they just look so foul? Gothmog wasn't as I imagined him to be, but I thought that his missing eye and wrinkly face were creative.<BR>- The Army of the Dead. Zombie-like spectres. <BR>- The Battle of Pelennor Fields. Riveting action.<BR>- The lighting of the beacons of Gondor. Though this is not according to the book, it was quite nice to see on film.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #44
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I agree Kaiserin, Minas Tirith was breathtaking, I especialy liked Denethor jumping off in flames, even though it wasn't in the book. More will come to me in time .
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:23 PM   #45
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Th soundtrack was awesome!!!!!!!! Loved it all, every single song. Well....Into the West I like when I use my little compromise, singing along.<P>Anyway I love the fact that there is some sort of similarity between these two scenes. The scenes are when Smeagol kills Deagol to get the ring and when Sam is giving back the ring to Frodo in the tower. You might be surprised but here is the simliarity.<BR>As Deagol is being killed you hear this strong beat which I think is like a heart beat and it grows louder and faster. At the Sam and Frodo scene you once again hear that beat. The beat is kind of telling you, will history repeat itself?<BR>But then the beat slows down and it shows how the friendship between Sam and Frodo stayed true whereas the friendship between Smeagol and Deagol went slightly awry.<BR>Anyway that is just my theory.<BR>Other than that I love Minas Tirith and the muster of the Rohirrim.<P>In the first movie I like the prologue and I like it when you see the nine ride out of Minas Morgul cause they look so creepy at that moment. <BR>I did not aprove of Lothlorien at first because I thought it was too dark but the EE changed my opinion because there it shows Lothlorien is also a place of light.<P>In the Second movie I love the opening shot where you see the mountains covered in snow and of course I like Edoras.(It is my mom's favourite setting)<BR>I also love the extended scene where Faramir and Boromir are together. ( Yeehee more of Faramir) <BR>Anyway I could go blabbing on but I leave my other opinions for another time.<p>[ 2:29 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Lathriel ]
Old 01-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #46
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As I was not here earlier, you are treated to my list of great things about The Lord of the Rings (don't you feel lucky?)<P>All three movies were visually stunning. It was absolutely incredible. (I wasn't fond of Lothlorien, and Mordor could've been a LITTLE darker, but those are minor complaints, and the rest of the locations more than compensate)<P>From characters, Gandalf and Saruman were definetly the best. Oh, and Eomer was amazing (not nearly enough screen time!). None of the others really seemed to hit the character on the head (Yet again, it's more than compensated for).<P>Probably what I love most about this movie was the care and detail taken. It boggles the mind to think of how much time and effort was put into it!<P>Finally, I love the little things that fanatics like us can search for, the little trivia bits. I really enjoy that. (There's a list at the Encyclopedia of Arda under Movie-Goer's Guides. Really cool.)