The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Tolkien EE fan credits

I'm sure you all know that during the credits for the movies there are listed the charter members of the Lord of the Rings Fan Club. Usually, I keep the credits on simply to listen to the great music that accompanies it but just now I took a glance at the screen as saw the name <I>Sir Ian McKellen</I>.<P>Did anybody else spot this too? Are there any more familiar names on that list?
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmmm... I never noticed that. Now I'm going to have to watch the credits over again, and keep a look-out for any familiar names.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Interesting! But what does a "charter member" mean? Could Ian McKellen be kind of like an honorary member? He is definitely worthy of the distinction, along with Christopher Lee and Sean Bean at least (IMHO). I can't imagine him actually being a member of the Tolkien Society. I think he's probably too busy with acting and wild Hollywood parties, unlike the rest of us!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I know that Christopher Lee is <I>THE</I> Tolkien fan, and he reads LotR at least once every year, and has actually <I>met</I> the Professor. That, in my mind, equals fandom!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I've yet to get my copy of the Two Towers EE, but on the FotR EE, I spotted Elijah's and Dominic's names. I've even spotted Cate Blanchett's names. I'm pretty sure that most of the cast members are there...including their family members (probably)---imagine Steve Tyler on the list! (but it's not likely anyways...unless my eyes skipped a lot of names on the T-names) <P>Speaking of music...I spotted a TT soundtrack complete with the extended music (or added music, whichever) for movie 1. Is this comingo ut any time soon, or will there be a 3-cd set coming out?<p>[ 9:35 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I actually managed to watch the fan credits, and, surprise surprise, most of the actors (and actresses) are in the Official Tolkien fan club:<P>Billy Boyd<BR>Dom Monaghan<BR>Sir Ian McKellan<BR>Christopher Lee<BR>Elijah Wood<P>just to name a few. First I was surprised, but then I figured... small wonder. They'd been living in ME for 3 years, how could you do that without becoming addicted?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I spotted a TT soundtrack complete with the extended music (or added music, whichever) for movie 1. Is this comingo ut any time soon, or will there be a 3-cd set coming out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know there's a 3-CD set for the original versions. I saw that one at FYE when I bought my ROTK soundtrack, and I must admit I've thought of whether they will have extended version soundtracks or not, but I have not been able to find any info on them. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Billy Boyd<BR>Dom Monaghan<BR>Sir Ian McKellan<BR>Christopher Lee<BR>Elijah Wood<P>just to name a few.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The actors have actually joined the fan club? Hmmm...maybe this gives me the incentive to join...maybe.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, they are all there, and Peter Jackson is there too!<BR>I think some of them may be honorary lifetime members. But others have actually admitted that they are quite smitten with the world of Middle Earth, and may have actually joined voluntarily.<P>But for me, even thought there are many actors from the films, and many people who are members. I still don’t think I would join. It is a little too movie centered and commmercial for me.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I noticed that a while back. I was actually looking for it. Seriously. I expected something like that, and, well, I was right. Besides the ones that have already been mentioned, I'm pretty sure that Sean Astin and Billy Boyd are on the list, too.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 AM   #10
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sean Astin I saw.<P>Wood was the first person ever to join the club...just a random fact. He said he wanted to make sure his name appeared in the credits lol
Old 02-01-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About the soundtracks: From what I've heard, there will be three 2-CD boxes (one for each movie) with some sorta 'EE' versions of the soundtracks - I don't know when they are supposed to come out, though.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #12
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This sounds like one of those things everyone knows about but a few of us who left the information line to go get a soda. Just what is the "Official LotR Fan Club"? I've looked for it online, but haven't seen/recognized it.<P>Does anyone know enough about it to tell what it is, how it started, who or what started it, how one joined, is it closed, and all that stuff. I guess after 36 years of reading the books, I've never gotten over never being asked or notified! I have to confess that it would be a thrill to see my name in the credits--even if I did need a magnifying glass to read it!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #13
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Indeed!<P>Is it too late to get in on the last movie? Where do you join? How do you join?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have seen the fan club list and guess what. Viggo Mortenson is an apostate. He is not on the list!! Isn't that just the most awful thing. I can't believe it. Is it also a coincidence that he doesn't do the Cast Audio Commentary? Maybe he is too busy making his next movie to do any Post LotR things.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #15
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I remember reading when I first joined the fan club that Elijah Wood was the first person in the world to join the fan club. That was three years ago, but I think it was Elijah that joined it. Unfortunately for me I didn't have enough money to join for all three years and only got my name into the EE FotR.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You got your name onto any credits at all???!!! Wow!!! What's to complain about?!<BR>What is this fanclub? Is it a movie thing or what?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #17
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining, I'm quite happy to have my name go down forever in history! But I would have liked to have been able to afford the three year deal.

Yeah it's a fan club, started something like three or four years ago. It cost me 40$ or so. The three year deal was like 100$, and for a poor 14 year old, that was a wee bit too expensive. And yes, the fan club was affiliated with the movie and gave exclusive news and the like every month with their magazine.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:23 AM   #18
Alexus Varus
Pile O'Bones

Alexus Varus has just left Hobbiton.
Narya

Quote:
I have seen the fan club list and guess what. Viggo Mortenson is an apostate. He is not on the list!! Isn't that just the most awful thing.
Maybe he just didnt want to join, or maybe he joined under an alias.... John Smith, very suspect people...