The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting A couple mistakes I caught

Hi all. Saw the movie for the fourth time yesterday. Wondered if anyone else noticed the little mistakes.<P>At Helm's Deep when battle has just begun and the orcs begin to put up ladders to climb the wall, Aragorn yells out "ladders" in elvish. Then we heard Gimli say "Good!" in response. How did he know what Aragorn was saying? He obviously doesn't know any elvish, and can't see what the heck is going on. <BR>Second, when the three are in Fanghorn forest, I noticed that Legolas' belt that holds his quiver is on his right side. In the next shot when he says to Aragorn "The white wizard aproaches", it's on his left. (took me four times to see it to notice that one) <BR>Just had to share!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

And when they show the horse about to step on Pippin his hands are not tied but are waving in the air! Then in the next scene involving him it shows him cutting off the ropes.

Celebmornie
Celebmornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

About the first one, Gimli saying "Good", it's perfectly possible that Legolas taught him some Elvish words to improve their friendship. That way they can converse easier, and break the barrier between elves and dwarves.<P>Just a though.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:23 AM   #4
**sparkle fairy**
Pile O'Bones

**sparkle fairy** has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

in FOTR at the start in the battle the ring changes which way up it is on his finger. cos my friend had baught one and we were trying to work ouy wich way it went but they kept changing it.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> it's perfectly possible that Legolas taught him some Elvish words to improve their friendship<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, but why would he teach him the elvish word for ladders?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:46 AM   #6
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe he learned ladders from Legolas in Loth Lorien because in the book you know thats how they went up into the trees, and from tree to tree. If any one reads them that would remember. And possibly Haldir he was hospitable enough to be blind folded with the rest of the Fellowship. He could have translated it to him to be kind. Also Just a thought. Oh ans maybe in Moria Legolas taught it to him becasue stairs and ladders would be roughly the same word. <BR> ~ Yavanna<P>P.S. The Argonath changes in FotR <BR>there was a rumour of a glimpse @ a VW beetle in FotR, But I've seen it 14 times and haven't seen it yet.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

but legolas and gimli are not friends in moria. in fact, they do not addmitt to being friends until right at the end of the first movie.<P>just a thought...
Old 01-12-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They become friends in Lorien. When to the surprise of the company Legolas takes Gimli around in Lorien.<P>Is that the first time?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, when Merry and Pippin first enter Fangorn, Merry's scar is above the opposite eye. <P>Oh, and in response to Gimli knowing Elvish, it's possible that as Aragorn said that he looked down to what Aragorn was talking about and saw the ladders and assumed that that is what is was talking about.<P>Cheers!<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: maiden of the Shire ]
Old 01-12-2003, 10:17 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Has no one else noticed the computer generated Eowyn riding out to meet the orcs with the King, Aragorn, Legolas, and others (in the shot from behind as they are knocking the orcs over everywhere)? Forth Eorlingas!<p>[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #11
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I noticed some mistakes too, bot not that many.<BR>Legolas' eyes are usually blue but when he was arguing with Aragorn in Helms Deep they were brown. Methinks Orlando forgot to put the contacts in that day!<BR>In FOTR the Argonaths hands are the wrong way round from the back. From the front they both have their inside hands facing outwards but when we see them from the back one has their outside hand outstreatched instead. Kind of badly explained, but you get my drift.<BR>There are lots more but I really can't think of them now!
Old 04-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #12
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Confusing. I didnt notice Eowyn, but I shall have to next time.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

a great movie mistake site to go to is <A HREF="http://www.moviemistakes.com" TARGET=_blank>Movie Mistakes</A> its really great!<P>~Nilly<p>[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #14
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There are tons of mistakes in the movies. The topic of Gimli and Legolas talking about ladders is in my opinion a mistake because first nobody would be speaking in Elvish during the battle according to the book. If however we were to assume that the elves were at Helm's Deep (which in itself makes you wonder how that many elves were sent from Lothlorien by the order of Rivendell to Helm's Deep, they must have made some really good timing") most of them probably would not understand Aragorn seeing as they spoke a kind of Elvish used only in Lothlorien and Aragorn didn't know that but only Sindarin. Also didn't Gimli score 42 in the final count and Legolas 41 or am I mistaken. The color of the horses Hasufel and Arod are mistake too I believe, as well as the fact that Legolas did not use saddle or bridle. <BR> Did anyone catch that the manuscript Gandalf reads in FOTR while in Minas Tirith says "In the year 3434" and this is supposedly when Isildur came back to Minas Tirith to reorder the South Kingdom after the War of the Ring. 3434 the war was still going on and they had not even laid seige to Barud Dur and Isildur probably didn't even know what the ring looked like either. There are so many mistakes in the movie I don't know where to continue so I think I'll just stop. However in doing so I will say that although I think Peter jackson took way too many liberties in changing things he still made the movies very enjoyable (if not completely true to the book) and I don't think many other directors could have done better as a whole.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The director's commentary talks about Legolas' flipping broach which also explains the flipping quiver. It happened in editting when they began moving dialogue around and all of a sudden a character is looking the wrong way, so they flip the image.<P>I also noticed this for the first time watching the director's commentary and I haven't heard it mentioned yet. In the flash fowards when Arwen is mourning over Aragorn's body, Aragorn's thumb moves. <P>H.C.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I caught a definite editing mistake in the end of TTT with my wonderful Elvish vision! <P>Originally, Arwen was going to come to Helm's Deep along with Gandalf and Eomer, but at the last minute, they edited her out, and in the places where she's really obvious, WETA replaced her with Legolas. However, right after they plow through the Orcs, exactly before the camera follows Eomer for a bit, you can most definitely see a dark-haired Elf, wearing a magenta-colored dress (which, by the way, was the one that Liv wore when they first shot the scene, before editing her out), fighting. It's easier to spot if you watch it in slow motion. <P>TAKE THAT, WETA!!!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #17
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Listen to the director's commentary for stuff about flipping and Leggy's eyes. Maybe people will finally relax about that. The guy must've been hurtin' not to wear his lenses. And also watch Gandalf's staff as he approaches Theoden...
Old 11-23-2003, 12:43 PM   #18
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure if there's already a mistakes thread but here are some interesting ones from FotR:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>In the scene where Frodo and Sam are leaving the Shire and Sam says it's the farthest he's ever been from home, on the far right-hand side you can see sunlight clearly reflected off a vehicle windscreen<BR><LI>When Saruman and Gandalf are talking at Isengard, the sunlight is coming through both windows<BR><LI>Frodo's shirt is moved slightly between the two shots of him after he wakes up in Rivendell (hope that made sense)<BR><LI>Arwen swaps horses a couple of times during her flight from the Ringwraiths<BR><LI>Watch Gimli at Balin's Tomb - his position changes with each shot<BR><LI>When Strider lifts Frodo onto Arwen's horse, it's actually a small boy<BR><LI>Sam hides his left foot under his cape after being pulled out of the water - we see it clearly in view just before without the prosthetic foot on it</UL><P>I understand why he didn't have the foot on because it would probably have come off in the water anyway, but still...<P>courtesy of <A HREF="http://www.nitpickers.com" TARGET=_blank>www.nitpickers.com</A><p>[ November 23, 2003: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]
Old 11-23-2003, 09:23 PM   #19
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the flash fowards when Arwen is mourning over Aragorn's body, Aragorn's thumb moves. -- H.C.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought at first we were seeing a part of Arwen's hand but after watching it a few times, I see Viggo not only moves his thumb but also his little finger. Yeesh, didn't anyone ever tell him that when you play dead you are <B>NOT</B> supposed to move any part of your body?
Old 11-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #20
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Finwe that just about gave me a heart attack when I heard that! Wow I am glad they edited her out. (now I have to watch that scene again)<P>Arathiriel, hehe, that was so cool.<P>Me- I haven’t know tested more than the switching of the bow on Legolas but that has been motioned...<P>Forever the only Jack
Old 11-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #21
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When Strider lifts Frodo onto Arwen's horse, it's actually a small boy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You know, I used to think that Frodo's double was a small boy for awhile (a shot of an exceedingly thin and undeveloped arm when he leaps onto Gandalf's cart in FOTR for instance), but then I saw an article on his double, and he was a 47 year old small person, a REAL hobbit, who was quite close to Frodo's real age! I can't remember the guy's name or where the article is, but he's obviously a LOT older than Elijah Wood!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ 5:24 PM November 30, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
There are a good deal more mistakes than that, as far as I know. I'm the one who asked how Gandalf could catch up to Glamdring while plummitting towards the Balrog. The way the wind dynamics work, it shouldn't have been that way. And Gandalf never showed any physical abilities to manipulate objects, as in "the Force" or anything.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote