The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up 9 Fingers

Does anyone else find it ironic that The maker of the ring(Sauron) and the (intended) destroyer of the ring(Frodo) both somehow ended up with nine fingers?
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Aeryn Evenstar
Pile O'Bones

Aeryn Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never thought of that. Yeah, it is ironic. I'm wondering if it's the same finger? From what I have read in ROTK it was Frodo's index finger. 'Course I don't recall it being said in the books that Sauron was missing a finger... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Not really....the easiest way to take a ring off a person is to take their finger with it.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

It kind of is. I mean, It's hard to take off just one finger with a sword (or shards of one) and if you bite hard enough, you'd think that some of the other fingers would need stiches.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, Frodo loses his right ring finger. I don't believe it's specified anywhere which one Sauron loses.

Here's irony for you - I was just over on the 'Irony' thread and had to come over here for this fine example since we all missed this point over there! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I never thought of that, I knew both of them lost the finger that was wearing the ring, but I did not realize that they both shared that in common, thanks for bringing that up [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Hm...in the Silm, it only says Isildur cut the ring from the hand of Sauron. He could have cut more than one finger off. And, come to think of it, in the movie he does.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

You also make a good point. But they still lost at least one finger none the less. I see what your saying though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And for the others, I thought it was Frodo's middle finger on his right hand because Tolkien wrote "It was the right hand, and the third finger was missing." Just if you wanted to see for yourself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:14 PM   #9
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, but Gollum says something like...'Only nine fingers he has on the black hand.' (Kinda sounded like Yoda, there.)
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 04:40 AM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Aerandir Carnesir, the third finger in this case is (funnily enough) his ring finger. The thumb isn't counted, and the ring finger is often referred to as the third finger (after the index and the middle).

It is very ironic that Frodo ended up resembling Sauron in this way. He never would have had the power to do anything, but it is quite frightening to think that good old Frodo turned to evil in the end and claimed the Ring. Maybe Tolkien wanted to say that you lose part of yourself by embracing evil. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

TTT: The Black Gate is Closed: (Frodo speaking initially)
Quote:
"It was Isildur who cut off the finger of the Enemy."
"Yes, he has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough," said Gollum shuddering. "And He hated Isildur's city."
Old 02-23-2003, 10:33 AM   #12
Ithilgaladh

Pipe

The relevance of this may be absolutely non-existant, but has anyone else noticed the lack of detail in the story going into discussing Frodo's missing finger after the intial incident? I realize that with all that went on outside of it, it's really not that important (the world being saved, and all). But it seems to me that dealing with the healing over of a missing finger and learning to use your hand without it would be mighty difficult, not to mention the pain. The ring finger is largely vestigial, but still, I would be miffed! (I've given far too much thought over this finger-thing) I suppose though, that after the burden of the One Ring, our dear Frodo can deal with just about anything.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #13
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kinda like how both Vader and Luke loose a hand...except not really...but still...

*chomp*

I figured that Sauron could re-grow fingers at will. Strange how Gollum says that he only has nine. Maybe he left it that way to remind him of his loss--as if he needs reminding. I'm a bit fuzzy on the nature of Sauron's coporeal form anyway. I'd better search me up a thread on that, eh?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #14
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Don't the bards make a song about Frodo of the nine fingers? I am looking through the books and I seem to remember a song about Frodo of the nine-fingers, but I can't seem to find it.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #15
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Yes, there is a song. Sam predicted it on the moutain, and it came true. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The song is near the end of the chaper the Field of Cormallen in the Return of the King, thought it's just a mention, not actually written out.

It is interesting to think about the fact that both of them ended up with their ring fingers missing. I think it is a sign(intentional or non-intentional) that absolute power corrupts absolute. No one has the ability to control that much power, so they both lost the part of themselves that was closest to the ring when they tried to gain that power. (Though lost a little bit more than that considering his essence was in the ring) Anyways, so in that sense they are similar. But the thought that good old Frodo has that much in common with Sauron the Deciever is still frightening though. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]