The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2003, 03:41 AM   #1
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting LOTR as a life-principle book?

The other day, I came accross a nifty little book about life principles found in Lord of the Rings. At first I regarded it as a product of extreme fanaticism, or perhaps even craziness. Tolkien is an excellent writer, but I've never regarded LOTR as useful for meditation or wisdom, or anything for life-application.

Anyway, the more I thought about LOTR, the more it became clear to me that it does have a lot of gems in it, and a lot of virtuous principles weaved into the elements.

Consider, for example, the rhyme about Strider/ Aragorn in FOTR:

Quote:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
I see that this even can be some sort of "practical advice" in the way we perceive people, circumstances, and even ourselves.

Those wise words of Gandalf to Frodo, about Gollum (That whole "Deserve it, I daresay he does!" quote) - it is considered by many as a "powerful" line. The power of course is not just in the construction of sentences, but in the wisdom and virtue it communicates: the error in proud judgment, the rewards of mercy, destiny, and so on.

It might be a stupid question to ask, but I am curious about what other Tolkien readers have to say: Have you learned, applied ar adaopted certain life principles which you picked up from LOTR (or from other Tolkien's writings, for that matter) - whether consciously or unconsciously? ... Or do you think that is just sheer fanaticism, or even nonsense?
Old 08-28-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yes you are quite right about LoTR. There are many things you can learn about life in the books. Not just about fighting Orcs to the death. But things like friendship and other little words of wisdom. I personally find that the different quests and adventures and most of all hardships the people in the books face makes me think a lot about how good my life is and that I always do my best. Lotr does apply to real life and you can learn a lot from reading the message behind it all.
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Here's a "life principle" I learned from Gandalf:

Quote:
...the burned hand teaches best. After that advice abotu fire goes to the heart.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

A related topic that never picked up more than a moderate head of steam but still provides some very good reading is LOTR and your Weltanschauung.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forgive me, I do not know the meaning of "weltanschauung". I did look into the thread, though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

This thread of mine isn't exactly a duplicate, is it? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 09:04 PM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

"Weltanschauung" simply means "world-view" or "philosophy".

I don't think they're identical topics, but I did and do think that people who are interested in this topic might also be interested in hearing what people have to say about how LotR helped shape their outlook on life (or didn't).

In the spirit of not junking up this thread with a slightly off-topic post about another thread, I'll mention that one powerful lesson that comes through in LotR -- almost subliminally, or as an underlying principle -- is the idea that good deeds inevitably require self-sacrifice. And that the reward for doing good is frequently only the knowledge that you have done so.
Quote:
'Peace and freedom, do you say? The North would have known them little but for [the Rangers]. Fear would have destroyed them. But when dark things come from the houseless hills, or creep from sunless woods, they fly from us. What roads would any dare to tread, what safety would there be in quiet lands, or in the homes of simple men at night, if the Dúnedain were asleep, or were all gone into the grave? And yet less thanks have we than you. Travellers scowl at us, and countrymen give us scornful names. "Strider" I am to one fat man who lives within a day's march of foes that would freeze his heart or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly. Yet we would not have it otherwise.'
There are a number examples of this principle in the Professor's work, many of which have been discussed here on the Downs at length. Values like integrity, honor, valor, and the like are not cheaply bought.

Yet Tolkien makes striving after the good seem admirable and attractive -- a feat which is too seldom attempted let alone accomplished in this cynical world.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote