The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #1
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Great RotK pictures! *Spoilers*

Sam and Frodo in armor! People preparing for Denethor's Pyre! (Meela runs and weeps)Frodo and Sam at the feet of Mt. Doom! Lots of Pippin!<BR>Okay okay, here's the pictures:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1056" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1056</A> <P>I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts, deedee dee.... <BR>~M<p>[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 10-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Aren't they great?? When I saw them on TORn this morning, and saw the pic of Denethor's pyre, the first thing I thought was, 'Meela!!' But I couldn't decide if Meela would want to see it or not. It does involve Denethor, but it is right before his death, so I wasn't sure. But I was so excited to see more pics!! I can't wait for December 17!!!<BR>Arwen
Old 10-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #3
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1058" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1058</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1060" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1060</A> <P>These were also posted up. Pretty awesome stuff <P>The first one has a picture of Denethor looking as if he's in deep shock and.. older than usual? I think its probably before he becomes mad. And yes! The White Tree is in it! The Tower Guard soldier looks awesome!
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I am impressed that they have got Frodo and Sam in Orc garb looking so convincing. I was wondering how Jackson would do this, but the helmets seem to work pretty well.<P>And the "Sam attacks Gorbag" picture is brilliant - although it should be Shagrat, shouldn't it?<P>I'm beginning to worry that I will have seen the whole of this film in trailers and screen-shots before I ever get to the cinema, though.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm beginning to worry that I will have seen the whole of this film in trailers and screen-shots before I ever get to the cinema, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Funny, I'm starting to worry about the same thing. Usually I avoid spoilers but I wanted to get a gist for the way PJ was going to present this. I think I've got that and now I'm worried about taking away too many of the surprises. I wasn't expecting Sam and Frodo in orc garb, or Aragorn the Healer (man, I'd completely written that off).<P>I'm starting to worry there won't be enough pleasent surprises left for the film.<P>H.c.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:35 PM   #6
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I know what you guys mean... but we havent seen much of the battles nor anything at Sammath Naur. Not to mention the fields of Cormallen and after. I wonder if they'll do the "Praise them with great praise!" celebrations. That chapter in the book was one of the best methinks.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:42 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those pictures have me sooo jazzed! Now for the complaint. <P>I didn't care much for the pic of Gandalf riding towards Minas Tirith. It looked kind of "pasted". Also, shouldn't there be a <I>road</I> in there somewhere? I mean, you have a city; there is usually one or two roads leading to it, not some big, empty field. (Unless Gandalf's sneaking in the back way.)<P>Poor Sam and Frodo look so worn. I think I'm gonna do a whole lot of crying in this last one.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:24 AM   #8
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

The one with Gandalf riding to Minas Tirith.. you see a gate there, but maybe the road is probably just not visible in the picture. There was only 1 main gate in the first wall of Minas Tirith I think. In any case Shadowfax needs no road to follow.. hes the Lord of the Mearas!
Old 10-25-2003, 12:25 AM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I mean, you have a city; there is usually one or two roads leading to it, not some big, empty field. (Unless Gandalf's sneaking in the back way.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know what you mean. But I bet PJ is probably going for the very dramatic entrance. And remember he did have Gandalf (and the rest of the crew) enter Edoras the same way.<P>I was a little worried about that photo because I do think that the city should look a tad bit larger (it is a really large stone city). But then I did hear that if the white tower would have been real, it would have only been 700 feet tall, so I guess it is okay.<P>I am not worried about too much being spoiled for me. I still have the very end (Grey Havens ), which I know they will probably show nothing of until we finally see it in the theaters.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:33 AM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Those pictures are fantastic. The picture of Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom bothered me for some reason until I realized that it was because the sky was blue - I had always pictured this unrelenting roiling black, but of course the winds had changed somewhat that night - it's not outside of possibility that Mordor would have a blue sky.<P>Also, that pyre of Denethor is friggin' impressive, if you ask me. And that's an awful lot of servants getting stuff ready; a testimony to Denethor's strength of character that there are about ten people there, all of whom (except Pippin) are willing, if not happy, to burn all that remains of the House of the Stewards to a crisp before they had technically died.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:41 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*runs and weeps*<P>I saw the picture earlier, actually I'm really looking forward to it!! But I do think Denethor could have made a better pyre...
Old 10-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #12
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, Frodo and Sam in the Orcish armor look pretty convincing...but I thought that they should be dirtier. And that picture of them on the slopes of Mt. Doom bugged me too, because when I first saw it I thought that it was too bright. But I guess that the change in winds could account for that.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's possible that special effects will take care of the sky. After all, we wouldn't want the talent to be crawling through actual ash and toxic fumes. Insurance and all that, y'know.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The one picture that impressed me the most was the one were we see Frodo and Sam in Mordor... and the terrible mark that has left the ring chain around Frodo's neck!<P>Poor guy...
Old 10-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #15
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm beginning to worry that I will have seen the whole of this film in trailers and screen-shots before I ever get to the cinema, though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw all the spoilers for lotr and loved the film from my first viewing.<P>I kept away from nearly all the spoilers for tt, and was really gutted after the first showing of TT (because of the changes), but after subsequent viewings learned to love it.<P>With this in mind, I'm up for all spoilers for ROTK (although I'd like not to see anything of the grey havens)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #16
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That picture of Frodo and Sam freaked me out! If looks like Sam has a beard and he sort of looks like a dwarf. WOW... its must be my computer... *shivers*
Old 10-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #17
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

*SCCCRREEEEEEETCHHH!!!!*<P>Pippin and the palantir! Woohoo! I love spoilers! <BR>All those pictures are buh-buh-beeeeautiful...and I find my excitement and curiosity is heightened by spoilers rather than lessened or spoiled.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:23 AM   #18
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes! Holy feakin crap! Those pictures are awesome! The Frodo and Sam - Orc pictures were great! I was a bit skeptical as to how it was going to end up looking but, hey - they've got me convinced! And Pippin with the Palantir! Ah! Wonderful! Even if I do see a lot of the snap shots and things from ROTK, it won't make a difference as to how much I'll enjoy the film. Well, it kinda does... it makes the difference as it makes December seem so much farther away!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:48 PM   #19
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I'm in heaven. Pippin steals the Palantír! I was sure that they'd have him peek in as soon as he retrieves it at Isengard, like in the BBC radio production. Moves the plot forward, but loses all that character developement. But he's definitely stealing it! Looks like nighttime, too! Squeeeeeeeee!<P>Ahem. All the pictures are awesome. I'm especially excited about the Sam attacking "Gorbag", Pippin in Gondorian armor, Faramir and Boromir in Osgiliath (I was always intrigued by the stuff in the Appendix talking about B&F's relationship, it'll be cool to see a flashback of them together!!!) That picture of Merry and Theoden is also great. Any picture with Pippin and/or Merry is great (I mean, we <I>know</I> Frodo and Sam are going to get lots of screen time, but I need reassurance that M&P aren't going to be glossed over.) I would have liked to see a picture with Faramir and Éowyn, though....<P>I haven't been paying much attention to spoiler reports, 'cause unless it's clearly a picture from the movie I find it tedious to sift through all the hearsay. So I haven't seen/read that much about RotK so far. These pics are so cool....<P>Impatience sets in....
Old 10-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Wow! I can't wait to see some of that stuff! I like Denethor's Pyre but I expected blankets and oil instead of straw. Naughty sneaky Pippen! Stealing the plantir from Gandalf! That scene is not as I imagined it but I looks pretty cool.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote