The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #401
Aragorn's Queen

Pipe

Hey guys & Gals!!
I have often been in the chat rooms discussing with everybody all the interesting topics and what not!!!
Cheers!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #402
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Tolkien

Hi, I`m not exactly new here. I`ve been a member for about 3 months, but I`d like to make some friends. For the short amount of time I`ve been here, I`ve really gotten to like you guys/girls. When I`m having a bad day, I come here and everyone brightens my day. Thanks for making me smile! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #403
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Welcome to all newbies! *smirkies, heheheh* I'm nice! Really! I don't bite...hard. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Quote:
every girl who likes elves and fantasy plays flute
---------------------------------------------
Weird, I play electric guitar!
And I absolutley love the Elves, and I play acoustic guitar!
Erm...I can make a flute make noise...sometimes...actually sounding good though...nope. I play the recorder. And I can also play violin, though I do not like it so much. Also I love to sing.

From these posts, it seems many of you play guitar.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #404
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Greetings, to all newcomers! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Don't worry... We don't bite, really. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I love Elves and I'm a piano player.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #405
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
I love Elves and I'm a piano player.
Me too.

Have fun on the Downs, all you newbies.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #406
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, all you newbies! Enjoy being dead! Don't worry, we're all friendly here [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm... I don't play any instruments, but I do have a recorder and an ocarina that I can fiddle around with. I wouldn't say that I actually *know how* to play...
Old 11-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #407
Dolenarda

Ring

Hey all. I'm new to this site but not new to forums. If there are any questions of my monicker, I took it from the elvish translation of my real name, cause it just sounded cool. see ya around

Old 11-12-2003, 03:55 PM   #408
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Quote:
Obviously this doesn't hold up, I play trumpet, but I think we're done proving that.
Though the idea certainly works.

Anywho, I am the friendly welcomer Ainaserkewen, if you can't spell my name, call me Aina(eye-na) which I prefer anyway. Any newbies that have questions, queeries, or rude comment politely phrased( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) come here. I may not be a moderator or a Barrowdowns guru, but I know my way around. Don't be shy, I don't judge, I only laugh, no, just kidding.

Seeya all around, uh "have fun being dead" and posting.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #409
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Again, I welcome all newbies! If you have questions, PM me, or any of the other friendly newbie-kil...um, I mean, newbie-guiders, and we will try to help you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Obviously this doesn't hold up, I play trumpet, but I think we're done proving that.
Though the idea certainly works.
It seems that many of us play some sort of musical instrument, though.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #410
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Seems to me that there are more "meeters and greeters" here than newbies most of the time. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 12:21 PM   #411
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

The complete Barrow-Downs newbie, Theron Bugtussle, here! Hi, all.

And a help request, too.... Where do I find the forum that I saw yesterday (my first day on forum), it was about the differences between the books and the movies?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #412
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Theron Bugtussle! Great name! Looks good on a headstone or on your barrow! Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
Where do I find the forum that I saw yesterday (my first day on forum), it was about the differences between the books and the movies?
Are you referring to this thread? It is entitled "Book vs. Movie Characters" and I found it by searching in the Books forum using the terms book vs movie . The search function can be very helpful and can be found near the top of the page just under the two rings that say "New Topic" and "Add Reply." If this isn't the thread you're looking for, try the Search function in each of the forums and you'll probably find lots of interesting stuff you were or weren't looking for that will take you in wonderful new directions!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 11-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #413
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Thumbs up

Thanks so much, Lyta Underhill! That is exactly the thread I was seeking. I did a similar search, but on the Movies forum, so naturally did not find what I needed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

About the name, I found the name generator on the Barrow-Downs site, or I would not have known how everyone had such great names. (I just thought you were all a bunch of true geeks.)

Needless to say, I altered the name it generated for me. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I may actually be the founder of the Bugtussle clan of hobbits.... I stake my claim!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #414
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

HI all you new and oldies. I am back, for now, but I must admit in my absense I have checked in from time to time. I have been engulfed with this series called .hack the game and all that so I have had no time between that my school and my new job for much else.

Enjoy being dead!

You all should read some of the rest of this thread there is some good advice hidden here.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #415
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Question

Question about avatars... I don't have a problem finding something to use as an avatar. But where-oh-where do I find a website to post my avatar so I can link to it here? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I need something...FREE.

(That is, assuming I intepreted the profile info correctly, and this site will not host my avatar file.)
Old 11-15-2003, 08:34 AM   #416
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Quote:
Every girl who likes Elves and fantasy plays flute
Okay, that is a dumb, stereo-typical comment.
Geez, I like Elves(I don't love them, but i like some of them) and I LOVEfantasy, and i used to play the flute but it wasn't for me.
The drums are what I play now.

And don't say "every person who____ does this, or is this."
People are different, and what may be right for onw person isn't right for another.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #417
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
And don't say "every person who____ does this, or is this."
People are different, and what may be right for onw person isn't right for another.
Lighten up, Kittiegirl. I'm sure the person who said it was exagerating at best and the rest of us were just teasing her.

So welcome to the Downs.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #418
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thank you.

You're probably right.
But I hate stereotypes.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #419
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay I've actually been here for like a little less than a month, but never saw this... I'm Lady Snickerdoodle!!!! YAY!!! Anyway, I think its kind of pointless to say that I'm obsessed about LOTR. so I won't.

About me- I laugh a lot for no distinct reason, I like marsupials, am currently trying to figure out how to stalk Orlando Bloom while living on the east coast of the U.S., and think the guy who plays Malfoy in Harry Potter is really ugly. That basically sums it up. yeah..
Old 11-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #420
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Why in the hell would you want to stalk Orlando Bloom?
For his looks?
Old 11-15-2003, 09:44 PM   #421
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay I've actually been here for like a little less than a month, but never saw this... I'm Lady Snickerdoodle!!!! YAY!!! Anyway, I think its kind of pointless to say that I'm obsessed about LOTR. so I won't.

About me- I laugh a lot for no distinct reason, I like marsupials, am currently trying to figure out how to stalk Orlando Bloom while living on the east coast of the U.S., and think the guy who plays Malfoy in Harry Potter is really ugly. That basically sums it up. yeah..
Old 11-16-2003, 12:45 AM   #422
Alexus Varus
Pile O'Bones

Alexus Varus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hi Guys, This site looks really exciting, I look foward to making some friends here and contributing to the discussions.

- Alexus Varus
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 AM   #423
Rain

Silmaril

very impressed with this site so far. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] i'm a newbie here so bear with mee! hope to do my part in the forums!

Old 11-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #424
Valandil

1420!

ummmmmm I'm new here, some of my friends recomended the site to me, and I hope to get to know it better soon...
others may know me as Elendil

Old 11-16-2003, 02:17 PM   #425
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Welcome all you newbies! Enjoy being dead [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Elennar: I play the violin too but I like playing it. And the piano also.
My latest interest are percussions...those instruments just tend to be very expensive *sigh*

A short re-introduction of me: I'm from Finland, I love music, drawing and M-E and I'm afraid of spiders (a bit ironic...) and might get violent when seeing one...

Happy posting to all!

[ November 16, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 11-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #426
Danni

Sting

Hi! I'm danni and i'm new to the barrowdowns chat thing. actually i dont usually do chatrooms. So anyone any craic?

Old 11-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #427
Danni

Sting

Anyone there? Am I doing this wrong or something. I'm rubbish with the internet. Stupid technology........

Old 11-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #428
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi, Danni, and welcome to the Barrow-Downs forum. A forum is different than a chat room - this is a virtual bulletin board, where you can leave messages for others to read and answer, but not talk directly to them. That's why you don't get immediate reactions. It can take a few minutes or hours, even longer, before someone replies.

If you'd like to chat, go to the Downs' main page, scroll down to "discussions" and click on chat. Click on "Java chat" to enter the room. Hope you find whatever way of communication you're looking for and enjoy it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #429
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
It can take a few minutes or hours, even longer, before someone replies.
And sometimes you never get a reply. When my posts get no reaction I just pretend to myself that I have made a wonderful point and that everyone agrees with me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #430
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I do either that or I realize that no one like or even pays attention to my posts.... except in the RPs and that is rare to have anyone reply to one even there. So I just pretend that what I say is important, and leave it at that. But all in all I am not Burrahobbit no matter how cool that would be!

What am I saying?! I should say Hi all you newly dead and welcome the the Barrow Downs. Have fun being dead and reveiw the rest of theis thread for some good advice.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:44 PM   #431
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hello, you new corpses! Welcome!

Quote:
And sometimes you never get a reply. When my posts get no reaction I just pretend to myself that I have made a wonderful point and that everyone agrees with me.
Oh, but isn't it the truth, Saucepan Man? If I ever *don't* answer you, that's why [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I personally prefer message boards. Being bombarded with a bunch of "hellos" at once freaks me out.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:00 AM   #432
Elrond the Younger

The Eye

Hurrah, hurrah, calloo callay and other random garbage, verbage and miscelaneous items from underneath the couch cushions.
Well it's me, finally, joining the barrow downs... I guess It's not as exciting as you all expected (my joining that is) but I think it is "quite the cool". Any way I hope I will be making many more a posting and random interjection, but until then; FAREWELL!
(ps If anyone could give their opinion on my signiature that would be cool.)

Old 11-17-2003, 03:34 AM   #433
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to all you new dead people.
Have fun!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 PM   #434
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Welcomies, welcomies! Greetings to all new Downies!

Quote:
I personally prefer message boards. Being bombarded with a bunch of "hellos" at once freaks me out.
Yeah, I know how that is! Also, Chat goes too fast for a slow typer like me.

Quote:
(ps If anyone could give their opinion on my signiature that would be cool.)
Cute!

Quote:
So anyone any craic?
Dia dhuit!
Squeee! I know what that means! Can I come visit you in Ireland sometime? I would love to go there! (Don't think it will happen anytime soon though... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I can dream...and try to learn to speak Irish, it is such a nice language!)
Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 PM   #435
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Welcome all you newly deceased! I hope you enjoy the experience of being on the Downs! I think that you will really enjoy it here.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #436
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, not really a newbie per se, but a new username. I am *points to sig* the former Horse-Maiden of the Shire! Welcome to all newbies! Including myself! Hurray!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 PM   #437
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hello Everyone
Old 11-19-2003, 07:41 AM   #438
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome all Elassar 516 and all other newbies! Have fun being at the 'Downs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #439
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mae Govennon melonin, I am new to this group however I have loved LOTR since way before the movies were out and I just thought I'd say hello. By the way, under our screen names what does the phrases like "newly deceased" and "barrow Wight" mean in reguards to our name?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #440
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome, Lord Elrond, and all other newcomers as well! You'll find the answer to your question and others on the Forum FAQ thread at the top of the Novices and Newcomers forum main page. For more information about posting here, please read the Forum Policies thread as well. If you have questions that aren't answered there, please PM me or one of the other moderators - we'll do our best to help! Enjoy yourself!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Closed Thread