The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye The Revised Silmarillion Project

As you I'm sure you all know, there's a subforum on the Barrow-Downs called Translations from the Elvish in which a bold and ambitious project to revise and re-compile the Silmarillion with the benefit of HoME information took place.

This sub-forum was inhabited by those accounted mighty amongst the Downers; Lindil, Aiwendil, Findegil, to name but three. The scholarship involved was immense, with in-depth knowledge on all the published sources required.

As someone who popped in occasionally for a quick look around, the threads were of Byzantine complexity and bewildering for one not involved, and I can only praise the commitment of those who could devote so much time and energy to pushing the project forward.

I was wondering if one or more of the 'involved' could tell us the story so far? Not the Sil itself , but the story of the project. As far as I can see it has gone into hibernation for a while but I suppose these things go in cycles. How far along is the revision? What are the plans for the future? How did the Children of Hurin affect the project? Were there issues with the Estate?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, Rumil, what a question!
It seems I am one of the people you adressed as 'involved'. I will try to answer some of your questions.
Quote:
As far as I can see it has gone into hibernation for a while but I suppose these things go in cycles.
Some poeple still hope that 'these things go in cycles' but the hibernation is very very long and some trials to raise the aktivity have failed.

What follows is an overfiew were the projekt stands. I try to keep the order in which we started the work on the chapters, but don’t take that to serious:

The Fall of Gondolin (FoG): Done. With some new comments on the Names of Rog and Laegolas, but nothing that was convincing so fare.

The Darkening of Valinor (DoV): Done.

Ainulindalë (AINU): Done.

Valaquenta (Vala): Done. (For the Ainulidalë or the Valaquenta I found latley some new material in Parma Eldlamberon XVII which could be discussed, but has to wait for a bit of free time in my agenda.)

Of the Voyage of Eärendil & Of the Great Battle and the War of Wrath (VE): Done.

Of the Ruin of Doriath (RD): Done. With the single exception of the question of Andróg as member of Húrins Band, which is discussed in Narn I Chîn Húrin 1: Túrins Fostering.

Narn i Chîn Húrin (Narn; NA): Changes from The Children of Húrin are proposed but not yet discussed. Some further adds are proposed but although not yet discussed. In this chapter is obviously the point to restart the project if that is to happen ever.

Narn Beren ion Barahir or Narn e•Dinúviel (BL): Done.

For the Silmarillion chapters up to „11 Of the flight of the Noldor“ and the chapter “21 Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin” I have drafts ready for posting. But I will not undertake the work to bring them in postable form before the discussion of the Narn is not done.

Quote:
What are the plans for the future?
I at least have long since stopped planing. If the activity comes up again I will be ready and will react. That is all I can say.

Quote:
How did the Children of Hurin affect the project?
They are a difficult source. At first not all active members at the time of the publication got their copy fast so that the project slowed down. Secondly Christofer Tolkien did not provide us with so much detail of his sources for the text as he did in Unfinished Tales and History of Middle-Earth. The only real decission that was so fare taken in respect to The Children of Húrin is that we will not take up the text of that book without changes and additions.

Quote:
Were there issues with the Estate?
Not for me at least. I have heard rumors about one member that he got a copy right issues. But I will not further these rumors and I don't belive that the Estate was behind it.
And this was definitley not what stopped the project.

If this post has waken your interest in the project, I can only say: jump down right into it. There are no stupid questions even in such a project.
But one answer I can give at once: We will not provide anybody with a full text version of our edited text or access to the members only forum before he or she had not become an aktive member by taking part in the discussion.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Foreshadowing Translations

Hi Findegil,

many thanks for your update, though it is a bit heartbreaking to see so much good work stuck in limbo.

Maybe this thread will pique somebody's interest .

Sadly I don't have the necessary knowledge or time and opportunity to improve to the required standard. Nonetheless I wish the Translators well and hope that interest may peak again.

At least I'll have a project to undertake if the credit crunch leads to unemployment!

All the best,