The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Having a LotR nickname?

Are you called by a name of a LotR character? Do you have a LotR-related nickname? (Ok, probably: does anyone call you by your screenname except other BD'rs?) Why are you called so? Do you like your nickname? I think it would be nice to reveal these things to everybody...

I'll be the one to start...
Some of my friends call me Gandalf or The Green Wizard. (Strange nicknames for a 15 year old girl...) That's probably because I'm nearly a year older than my these friends and I've also introduced LotR and roleplaying to them. I'm also the GM of our RPG. I also know more abot Arda than they do - I've read more and more carefully, I suppose. They also keep asking my advice in certain things. And I'm probably as short-tempered as Gandalf is. I don't know do I like these nicknames. They really flatter me, but I don't want to be placed above my friends continuously. It can be really horrible. And I don't have a beard, really.
My best friend, who is the most Sam-like person I've ever met, calls me sometimes Mr. Frodo , for example if I ask her to do something for me.
And if my friends want to be kind to me they may call me Thinlómien.

Hope you have as weird nicknames as I do...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Some of my friends (and even my husband sometimes!) call me Frodo or Mr. Frodo. In fact, some of them don't call me by my real name anymore, opting for this hobbit-alternative! The weird thing about it for me is that I'm probably as old as Frodo (in dog years, anyway!)

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When writing things to me (notes or email), my best friend sometimes uses my Elvish name. And occasionally I am referred to as Jamby of the Woodland Realm (Jamby being a perversion of my real name and the Woodland Realm being how Aragorn refers to Mirkwood in the movie when introducing Legolas).
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Uh...my six year-old sister calls me 'Frodo', because of my hobbityish (<---that's a word now) hair, if that counts for anything.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

One of my jock friends (in high school, he was more of a friend to one of my other friends), he used to call me Frodo. And one of my other friends remarked me once as Lady Longshanks, she also says I'd make a great Elf.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Tolkien I love it!!!!!!!

Lot's of my close friends call me Celebuial but they haven't stuck to their Elvish names. Me and my group of friends also call each other Frodo, Evil Hobbitses, Precious, Strider, etc, depending on the mood, or actions of the person concered. For example if I managed to do something without any of my friends noticing I will be called Sneaky Hobbitses when they find out. Similarly we constantly make quotes from the books and films when they spring to mind, e.g: If I managed to get some part of stuck somewhere, or I get a ring stuck on my finger, I will either hear a chorus of "Caught, in a web, soon you'll be... Eaten", or "Take it off us, take it off us!" respectively.

I think this is great! It confuses most people, indeed my mum seems to think that I've been talking in code for years, and those that aren't confused smile at us and nodd with apreciation. It also helps to lighten the mood in an uncomfortable situation.

I love using names and quotes in everyday life, it makes things so much more personal and interesting to say "I'm going back to Mordor" when going somewhere you don't want to go, or "I'm going to speak to Smaug" if you've just had an argument with your mother! It add's an extra sparkle to any situation!
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alas, I've never yet had a LotR related nickname, despite having had rather more nicknames than is good for one person (including cyclops, paddington, duracell etc.). But, there is a manager in a room not far from me right now who goes by the name of Gollum, so alike is he to the creature. He not only sounds like Gollum, but he also looks like him, and has something of the Gollum personality, being overly attached to his 'precious' office while all around are forced into the cattle shed atmosphere of the open plan area.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

My girlfriend referred to me as Neurion once (Elvish form of my Christian name), or she would have if she was my girlfriend, I mean, she did call me that, but we don't really have the formal boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, I mean, she lives quite a long ways away from me and I don't get to see her that often....this probably doesn't count, does it?

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."

Last edited by Neurion; 03-20-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Alas, I've never yet had a LotR related nickname, despite having had rather more nicknames than is good for one person (including cyclops, paddington, duracell etc.). But, there is a manager in a room not far from me right now who goes by the name of Gollum, so alike is he to the creature. He not only sounds like Gollum, but he also looks like him, and has something of the Gollum personality, being overly attached to his 'precious' office while all around are forced into the cattle shed atmosphere of the open plan area.

Oh and there was me wondering if you and davem used screen names or real ones..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Oh and there was me wondering if you and davem used screen names or real ones..
Have you been planting bugging devices around the house?

But, isn't a nickname something only someone else can give to you?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I wasn't thinking that specifically... reminds me of my linguistics lecturer asking if a jam pot was still a jampot once you had eaten the jam and were using it to hold pencils....

Have you been planting bugging devices around the house?

No ..... not my style apart from not knowing where or how..........

So a screen name is more a nom de guerre / nom de clavier?

If a nickname can only be given by someone else then on the whole I loathe them... since most of mine were unwanted gifts from my unpleasant sibling or pupils.... apart from La Duquesa... so on the whole I prefer the name I have chosen for myself

Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ah, nicknames... Like Lal said, I've got more names that I respond to than is (or ought to be) natural, some being Professor, Red, Jori, Jack, Grace...

But, incredible as it may seem I also have picked up a few monikers in the way of Middle Earth-ish type stuff. My old English teacher refers to me as "Ah, here comes the wizard" and when I mention hunger, it's my "hobbit side coming out." I've even been referred to as "Tolkien" himself.

Fea
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Impressive, Fea!

One young, tall, blond, angular-faced friend got nicknamed "Gregolas".

A friend named Rachel got called Rachelf.

The tall, thin, mischievous guy that hunts with my husband, used to show up at our house while we were gone and chop & stack wood for fun. He got nicknamed "The Wood Elf." He's a decent archer, too.

One friend calls me Frodo (I call her Sam.) Another appends "-Hobbit" to my given name, while I always call her by her screen name. And a third calls me Elf-Princess. (I don't mind, since I'm married to Strider.)

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-20-2005 at 02:10 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Erm well offline, I wouldn't say I was in the closet about it but I tend to keep the extent of my Tolkienism under wraps - at least until after the secret handshake...
I did do an assignment with a fellow fan and (we referred to the company concerned as "mordor ...".

Fea your nicknames are rather better than "Piglet", and "The Honey Monster" ..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-20-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Someone said I was "Old School" the other day... Then called me Gandalf... I feel SO cool right now...

Plus, My friend has accidently called me 'Frodo'... but I highly doubt that the excuse of 'an accident' was the truth. This accident stuck, and their only reasoning is that our eyes are the same colour... That one made me: , then, well... I thought about it I guess. My conclusion: "Gahhh! grrahr! ... Are they really that blue?"

I guess the world may never know...

~ Confused Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #16
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'm often referred to as Gollum, due to my gangly features and googly eyes. I used to walk a little faster than my friends, so I would constantly be turning around and yelling "Come on Hobbitses, long way to go yet!" Of course, my friends did actually resemble hobbitses, so we had a little post-TTT-cinema RP going on there.
The tall, blonde appearance and love of swords n' horses, earned me the name of Eowyn. Actually, I think that's the one that really stuck.
The only other names I get called are Elf, occasionally Galadriel (again tall and blonde, and that's as far as the resemblance goes). Sometimes I was called Strider, again because of my tendency to walk about three leagues ahead of everyone, trampling around the countryside in Ranger boots.

Last edited by Meela; 05-27-2005 at 08:06 AM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #17
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
My (ex now) form tutor calls me both Hobbit and Gollum.

Hobbit is form my tendency to always sit on the floor so I look shorter than everyone else, and also for my appetite whoch is at least as large as a hobbits of not larger!

Gollum is because during the winter I get cold and so in lessons I sit really curled up on a chair and apparently this reminded him of Gollum.

Of course mainly I just get called obsessed as my friend and I find an LotR quote for any given situation. We mostly use "Fool of a took" and "Stupid, fat hobbit" to describe ourselves (or each other) when we realise just how badly we have messed up the latest piece of work!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #18
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
1420!

At my old school, my friends and I formed a fellowship. I was chosen to be Frodo. At my new school I'm called Lord of the Rings Girl. We have very few LotR fans here.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #19
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
At my old school, my friends and I formed a fellowship. I was chosen to be Frodo. At my new school I'm called Lord of the Rings Girl. We have very few LotR fans here.
That is a misfortune indeed. Hope you find some light at the end of the barrow...

People in school just refer to me as 'Art kid' 'Goth Art kid...' I don't mind, since it is true in a sense. I don't mind about a LOTR nickname reference, since there is a substancial number of people who do enjoy Tolkien at my school. I am, if you were to refer to a sub-culture context, a Victorian Goth. ( Just can't have enough of Mr. Aleister Crowley and Mr. Poe!)

I better stop before I go into rant...

~ Quoth the Ka, "Nevermore Rant!" Ka
Old 03-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #20
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I get called lots of names, most cannot be printed here, but then I am an Half-Orc.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #21
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
being tall and dark haired, I'm called Gorny.

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 AM   #22
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
My real name translates to Sindarin as Hiriel, a name I use as my screen name most places (I didn't know it yet when I created my account here, though), and many of my newer friends call me Hiriel most of the time
Old 05-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #23
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
well to some i am just plain old andrew to others i am amedaous after mozart some call me mantorak the corpse god....and a few very few mind you call morsul
Old 05-26-2005, 04:59 AM   #24
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
At school, I've had a sort of sorority who really thinks it weird that I've bought all Tolkien's books everytime our monthly allowance from the mayor arrives... ...and my best friend [whom I've managed to make her read parts of the Sil if not the whole book] called me Morfindel, though I barely liked it. Another sister who I watched the FOTR with called me Lorien later, for a reason I'm still thinking about till now...

Then my dad found out about my new names, he began calling me Gollum, because of my obsession with sashimi... duh. Sashimi really isn't fish who's raw and wriggling...
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #25
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
well i had Tilion as a nickname for awhile because of my love of Silver(i have silver ring, necklace and watch)
Old 05-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My father and my little sister call me The finnish-Tolkien-finnish -dictionary ...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #27
Larien Telemnar
Wight

Larien Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Larien Telemnar Send a message via MSN to Larien Telemnar Send a message via Yahoo to Larien Telemnar
A friend at Camp called me Frodo and I called her Sam because on a really tough hike up a hill (I'm borderline asthmatic, so I don't do hiking) she wouldn't leave me and wouldn't let me give up, even though I felt like lying down and dying.

Also, all my friends call me The Hobbit because I'm short. My friend Chandler (Nicknamed Chandish) made me his personal slave/servant, so I call him Mr. Chandish .
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #28
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have a friend named Autumn ( Seriously, it is her name.) who I call Galadriel, not only because she has freakishly long-golden hair, but she's full of herself entirely. That last bit is something always fun to poke at, and she is constantly trying to make my much shorter friends feel inferior by starring at them. I see a match! Plus, she always has us (my other friends and I. One of which is a giant...) attending her every need when we are her guests! But, she is rather loveable person, and unfortunately once you're in her trap of 'Innocence' your done...

~ Shh! Don't tell Ka
Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #29
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles with Random nicknames

Quote:
I have a friend named Autumn ( Seriously, it is her name.) who I call Galadriel, not only because she has freakishly long-golden hair, but she's full of herself entirely.
I have a friend (okay a friends older sister) whose name acutally is Arwen. Their father was reading LOTR when he was younger and decided he wanted a girl with that name. Strangely enough, he never wanted to have boys and I'm not sure Elrond had any. (I could be wrong though.)

As for me, my name does not come from LOTR but a fantasy faery book in it that had the name 'Morai.' I liked it, and later earned the pename 'Folorn Melody.' Kinda lables me as a gothic Goldberry I guess.

I also have a friend who I refer to as 'Samwise', (who is a She.) She refers to me as "her-----" (nickname not included for security reasons.)
Old 05-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #30
Larien Telemnar
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Larien Telemnar Send a message via MSN to Larien Telemnar Send a message via Yahoo to Larien Telemnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
he never wanted to have boys and I'm not sure Elrond had any. (I could be wrong though.)
Actually, Elrond had two sons, Elrohir and Elladan. Sorry, I'm not being mean or anything, I was just itching to say that. I was disapointed that they weren't in the movies. They would've been so cool in them!

I like your name, it's pretty! And that's cool your friend's name is Arwen! I want to name all four of my first children Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin............ Regardless of gender.

P.S. Just Kidding.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #31
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles on guard....more than once

Quote:
Actually, Elrond had two sons, Elrohir and Elladan. Sorry, I'm not being mean or anything, I was just itching to say that. I was disapointed that they weren't in the movies. They would've been so cool in them!
True, but perhaps PJ thought his movie was becoming a little too crowded by that point, and I don't blame him for some of the changes he made.
Quote:
I like your name, it's pretty! And that's cool your friend's name is Arwen! I want to name all four of my first children Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin............ Regardless of gender.
Me too, except I'll probably naming the next few cats I get after LOTR characters they remind me of.

By the way, thanks for the compliment.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #32
Larien Telemnar
Wight

No problem, I like complimenting people!

Yeah, if he would've put everything from the book in the movies we would've had a movie that went as long as the actually journey did. I still think he should've put a few things in, like the scouring of the Shire......... *Chuckle*
Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #33
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Well, let's see...
I've been called "Lord of the Rings Queen" by my mom,
"Elf" by many others
"Eowyn" online at times and by others in person (someone who just met me, too!)
I've been called Frodo too..

Most commonly I'm called Elf (not to be confused with that insulting holiday film )
and/or Eowyn. and my sister's best friend calls me Master.

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote