The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting Let The Hobbit Happen!

LET THE HOBBIT HAPPEN!
^~Clicky click!
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Ello BladeThatWasBroken.

When I read the info on that site, one question kept on popping into my head: why?

Why would we want a movie of the Hobbit? I personally don't. Is there a thread about this?

Well, I won't participate in that ''quest''. What about you?

Cheers mates!

Aethelwine.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Question

Why not? hehehehe
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Quote:
Why not? hehehehe
Well, why don't you tell me? I would like to know. A lot.

Cheers mates!

Aethelwine.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

That answer is a cheat, Aethelwine - avoiding the question!

However, I agree - I don't think they should make a film of The Hobbit either. For my part, this is partly because it was one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and so to have it made through someone else's mind could go very wrong - it wouldn't seem quite right, when I have such a vivid image. Also, on the part of the general public, I don't think it would actually be as popular - maybe people would go to see it out of pure curiousity, and the die-hard middle earth fans would be bound to, but come on, the main characters are dwarves - and, no offence to them and this isn't necessarily my personal opinion, but they are hardly the most glamourous or particularly engaging of the races of Middle Earth, as the LotR films showed.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I'm for the Hobbit, not only because it is one of the most phenomenal books ever written, but because of the exact opposite of what you said, Aman.

I want to see what the public does with thirteen Dwarves, a Hobbit, and a Wizard as main characters. Not a pretty face in the lot, and I'd like to see a movie sell because it's good, not because it's got hotties.

I'd also like to see something outshine that 70's version.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
I think it's a question of whether or not the public will want to see it. I think they will, just coasting on the hype as a result from the trilogy. However, in my opinion (and I know it would never have worked this way), it would have been better if we'd seen The Hobbit first. That way, it would be a step UP (as far as plot, quality, development, etc.) instead of what it might be now -- a step down. Of course, being that a good deal of time passes in Mirkwood, I suppose they could devote some time to that hunky hottie, Orlando Bloom!

I also think that, if they are unable to get Ian Holm, then they should abandon the idea altogether. He isn't very young anyway, (yes I know that age thing at the end of RotK was just makeup, I'm talking in general ) so I question whether or not he'll be able to carry off being the main character, and the strenous tasks involved. Although I once heard that Elijah Wood said he'd be charmed to play in The Hobbit. I wonder if anyone has told the dear fellow that Frodo isn't IN the Hobbit?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #8
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I think it would be interesting to see PJ's version of the Hobbit. If it varied very much from my wiev of the tale, I wouldn't watch it again. I'd forget it and keep my old and dusty opinions about the characters, places and so on.

Quote:
I want to see what the public does with thirteen Dwarves, a Hobbit, and a Wizard as main characters. Not a pretty face in the lot, and I'd like to see a movie sell because it's good, not because it's got hotties.
Me too. I guess there won't be such a huge amount of teenyboppers among the audience if there's no Legolas and Frodo and Aragorn and Figwit and... (with no offence)
Old 04-14-2004, 02:34 AM   #9
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I haven´t been able to go to the downs in a month. AHHHH!
Anyways, I would be interested in what it could turn out like.Iwant the hobbit to happen because I think that truly finishes the whole Lord of the Rings thing and it means I will have something else to look forward too after the EE.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am all for a Hobbit movie as long as PJ does it, like he suppossed too!!!! I'm so excited, it going to be awesome!!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:45 PM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

My apologies, Arwen, but my opinion is contrary to yours. A movie of The Hobbit is fine with me as long as PJ is not directing. I think he has done too much harm to Tolkien's works. But that is only my opinion. Ah, well...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:35 AM   #12
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, or the point of a discussion would be rather lost
Old 04-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Quote:
Although I once heard that Elijah Wood said he'd be charmed to play in The Hobbit. I wonder if anyone has told the dear fellow that Frodo isn't IN the Hobbit?
Lol. I find that odd. I mean, that he didn't know that. Oh well, maybe he wanted to try out for one of the dwarves of something..

Anyway, if The Hobbit would be on screen eventually, I would be very disappointed to see Elijah (as Frodo) there....

Heh

I think that the Hobbit would be a good film. But the thing is; I doubt that the film would be anything like I had imagined it would be like. Just as LotR. It doesn't have to be bad, but of course, you always want the films to be the exact way you’d thought it would be. Well, that's me, I don't know about you. In a film that is based on a book, I always would've preferred to see the images I saw in my own head while reading, be re-created on screen. I also would have wanted the things I liked best or found most interesting on screen. The director however, will have his/hers own "images". (Which is kind of sad...I knew I should have directed the LotR films..)

I don't think that Peter Jackson would do a "bad" job, if he made the Hobbit. (I don't think he did a "bad" job on LotR either.) If someone was supposed to direct the film, I would want him to do it; yes, even thought he messed up a few things in LotR.

So, I guess I'm all for making The Hobbit into a film. I mean, no one has to see it if they don't want it...At least, the option is there. :-D
Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Although I once heard that Elijah Wood said he'd be charmed to play in The Hobbit. I wonder if anyone has told the dear fellow that Frodo isn't IN the Hobbit?
Perhaps he thought he could be Bilbo. He was young then, anyway.
But somehow I can't picture him doing those things Bilbo did in the story.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-15-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #15
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Link

Just because this is the latest Hobbit thread here is a link that some might find informative, others find annoying. *shrugs*

Hobbit Update -- sort of

As for the Elijah Wood thing, he may just want to have a cameo. He didn't say he'd be charmed to be Frodo...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #16
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

I'd guess after doing so spectaculary with the trilogy, he'll be going more for the big time - Bilbo Baggins.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #17
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield

I really want to see the Hobbit and Silmarillion as movies... t'would be interesting indeed. I've been going through the book, and seeing how many people it would take... to see if I can round up enough friends to put together a few scenes... snrk.

But if PJ does do the Hobbit, I will be quite happy, as I thought that he did a great job on the LotR, even if he did alter it quite a bit. No, I can't wait to see if they do the Hobbit.

But I think that Elijah Wood would not be much of a Bilbo. No, he's just not Bilbo, and even if he did get the role, everyone would still think of him as Frodo. Maybe Billy Boyd though.... tee hee.

If they do make it, it would be quite interesting to see how the crowd that looks for the cute characters react. They'd have Bilbo. And that's it, although Legolas could appear in the Mirkwood scenes... for those girls who must watch it to ogle.

Well, that's my thoughts on the Hobbit movie. And I do hope that it happens.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:03 AM   #18
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Billy Boyd would be quite nice, yes But actually, I think Ian Holm did a fine job, and would do again - it would also fit better in people's minds and be more consistent, I think.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:45 AM   #19
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Ian Holm is in his sixties, I think. If they made the film, it wouldn't be till after King Kong. But a bit of make-up and some good will ... why not? As for the hotties, true, but don't forget Bard the Bowman and as for Orlando Bloom (who might be busy being James Bond by then), why does he have to be Legolas? Why not Thranduil? That way, the teens would get their poster-boy and PJ wouldn't have to upset the book's fans by sticking in a character who wasn't there.

As for other Tolkien-themed movies, I have just seen the first test shot for a student movie of a story from the Silmarillion, a hand holding a leaf with something silvery on it... The girl doing it, one of our Year 12 students, is very gifted. Nobody will ever see it except her friends, her teacher and maybe me, but it will be lovely...
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote