The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Boromir lovers unite!

I'm writing a story and, to my eternal chagrin and shock , I realized it was a dreaded Lego-luv. Wanting to remedy this, I re-examined my character and found that she would like Boromir, not Legolas. Then I hit a snag:
I have no middle-earthly idea why anyone would love Boromir.

I do realize that he must have some redeming qualities that I would love to hear for my story's sake. I know he has fans out there in the world, so would you please tell me:

Why do you like Boromir?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
He's a strong, brave guy who's devotion to his father, brother, and Gondor are unbreakable. He's loveable because he's a human, meaning he made a horrible mistake, but remedied it in the end. He's strong, but isn't devoid of emotion. He's also ridiculously handsome. :P
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Umm...for all intents and purposes, I am not a Boromir lover per se, being male and all that, but I still have a number of reasons why I liked this character and others might as well.

Boromir is a man with a very admirable level of valiance. Compared with more composed warriors, like Aragorn, Theoden, etc., he stands out a lot because of his, dare I say it, hubris. He has an unmitigated pride that combines with his valor and his own sense of very refined, somewhat self-indulgent at times, composure. This composure is only lost (book-wise) in the moments after Boromir realizes what he has done, falling to the One Ring's temptation. Even as he is tempted, he remains calm and full of that wonderfully loveable pride for him and his people which he posesses. He's the very portrait of a tragic hero, which frames him in a sort of arrogant heroism headed for disaster (which, I suppose, might be a point of attraction).

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir is kind. It was Boromir, not Gandalf and certainly not Mr Great King Aragorn, who considered the hobbits' needs when they were going up Caradhras, who became angry when poor Frodo was about to sink into a deathly sleep in the cold. He has common sense - who was it who suggested that there was no point in keeping out of enemies' eyes if they were going to freeze to death? Boromir loves his kid brother and Faramir loves him - and Faramir is someone whose opinion we respect! Okay, he made a mistake, but regretted it immediately and paid for it with his life.

What's not to love?
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yay, Boromir! Though I am a total fan of Sam, Boromir is a wonderful charachter. He is the very immage of the Greek "Tragic hero" and very admirable. (There's another thread on that somewhere....) He is kind and considerate, a great soldier, incredably loyal, and even the book states that women found him pleasing to look at. So he's arogant (hello- he's practably a prince), and not very scholarly(they were in the middle of war, somethings took presidence), and that was the whole ring thing (even Aragorn, Galadriel, and Gandalf were tempted, but they knew exactly what is was. Boromir didn't have that advantage.) So he has fualts which make him human, and besides those, he is a really great guy. Besides, the last thing we need is another Legolas story. (curse you Orlando- you have ruined the fan base!)

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril go bori, it's ya birthday!

Finally, people who show the proper respect for Boromir! Since the parental units are making me get off the computer, I'll make this quick. Reasons to love Boromir:

While Leggy was busy screaming "Aye aye", Boromir stood calm, blew a HORN, and the Balrog STOPPED.

Boromir retook the west side of Osgiliath.

Boromir was a very family oriented guy.

He was quite good looking, athletic, and brave.

He was loyal to all of his friends (wanted to go back and help Gandalf, mind you; the only thing that stopped him was obligation to keep the others safe)

He gave up his LIFE to save Merry and Pip.

Eomer told Aragorn that Boromir's a pretty cool guy, and what the 3rd Marshall of the Riddermark says, goes.

If you need any more reasons, I'd be happy to oblige at a time when my parents aren't yelling at me.

Fea
Old 03-15-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir! He is one of my favorite character, but few people seems to appreciate his valour and strength and honor and wisdom and skill and... *runs out of breath*

He is valourous enough to stand against the Valaraukar (Balrog), and was the last person to flee, as stated in the book.

Boromir was kind, loved his country and Faramir (Which is uncommon in later times, alas!).

Boromir was a prince and soon-to-be-king of the greatest realm in Middle Earth. That must be appealing.

Quote:
Quotes: Boromir is not lying, that is not his way, but he hasn't told us everything.
He is a truthful character, and was frank to the end when he admitted to Aragorn that he tried to take the ring.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 03-15-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:24 AM   #8
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
I, too, like Boromir as one of the most tragic characters throughout the Lord of the Rings. In fact, none of the characters who participated in the quest caught my emotions more than Boromir. Everyone else seems so unreal: the heir of a long dead king, a suble wizard, agile elf, doughty dwarf and plumb hobbits. Boromir, in comparison, seemed the only true representation of a man, flawed but ultimately redeemable.

As I understand it, the Fourth Age is the age of Men, and Boromir's plight forebodes the trials and burdens to be faced by Men, left without guidance of the ancient Wise. Yet, just as Boromir survived corruption, so would mankind persevere and overcome the clutches of Evil powers.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Ah yes, Boromir...

Well, we Boromir-fans are not as alone as we think! Just look around here, on the Downs itself, and you'll find more fans of this great, admirable human.

I like Boromir because:

- He is very brave. He is willing to do anything for his country, his people, his kin.

- Something I also find important: he is loyal. To his friends, family and people. And loyalty can be very hard to find in our world, these days.

- He appears, compared to many characters of the book, much more human. This makes him more recognizable, and thus, easier to love.

- Not unimportant, he was good looking.

- He is a man of Gondor. Though my loyalties used to be with Rohan, it has now shifted to the brave people of Gondor. And who can represent them better then their soon-to-be Steward?

- He has power and many men at his command. For many people, this is attractive...

- He is usually honest.

- Oh, and of course, he isn't afraid to show emotion!

Quote:
and even the book states that women found him pleasing to look at.
Oh really?!?! (*_*) Were?? Were can I find that?

Do the wave for our favorite human, 'Steward' and disco king!

Aethelwine.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This thread is more about opinions than actual book discussion, so I'm moving it the the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:32 AM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Do the wave! Eat squid!

Hurrah for Boromir the Disco King!

Since the Downers before me have mentioned most of the reasons to love him, I will mention the one that appeals to me the most...

Boromir totally loves his brother, Faramir. He does not rub it in his brother's face that he is the favorite of his father and of Gondor as a whole. He even suffers himself to journey all the way to Rivendell in spite of his father's disapproval, just so Faramir does not have to.

Who would not love someone who treats Faramir that way?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #12
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Not that I'm doubting you, but Aethelwine and Cibbwen, where's it say he shows emotion? When he comes back to Parth Galen after trying to get the Ring?

Here's a Boromir quote:
Quote:
I will not go forth as a thief in the night.
That's right after Elrond told him not to blow his horn unless in great need. With every other Boromir quote, I could pick out some positive quality, but this one I can't put my finger on it. What does this say about Boromir?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 AM   #13
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It says he's straitforward and honest, not sneaky.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
I will not go forth as a thief in the night.
and Elianna you ask 'What does this say about Boromir?'

I interpretate this as a sign both of his pride and his honesty.
Pride - because despite hearing that the Fellowship must be totally covert, and even after Elronds wise words, he still feels the needs to declare that he is his own man and will act as such, if pushed to it.
Honesty - as the quote itself states, he does not like the secrecy of the Fellowships mandate and would rather an open and uncomplicated quest.
Hope that may be useful Eli, its just the way I see Boromir - an epitomy of the duality of Man.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Boots Reasons to like Boromir

Boromir has been my favorite character ever since I've read the book 18 yrs ago.

Boromir was a strong, man stronger then anyone in the fellowship. Great fighter, he was probably the 2nd best fighter in the fellowship next to Aragorn. All he wanted to do was to save Gondor, that's why him and Aragorn were going to Minas Tirith he believed if the king and sword were taken back to Gondor that would help save Gondor. Thing is he didn't think that was enough and that was his flaw. He fell under the ring for only a few minutes then he realized what he had done wrong and corrected it. Also, I believe Boromir even after going crazy he held back, because he could of easily over powered frodo he was a strong, broad shouldered man, typical Gondorian. I feel as if he was holding back his full strength when he attacked frodo because he could of very easily over powered frodo.

Besides those reasons up above here is the biggest reason...
(dramatic pause)
The Fellowship wouldn't of gotten far without him. With out him who would of carried Pippin and Sam through the storm on Caradhras(however you spell it). Without his strength the fellowship probably wouldnt of made it to Moria and even through Moria. It would of taken far to long for just Aragorn to carry the hobbits through the snow. Without Boromir there simply wouldn't of been enough "muscle" to lead the fellowship on.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #16
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Honesty - as the quote itself states, he does not like the secrecy of the Fellowships mandate and would rather an open and uncomplicated quest.
Hope that may be useful Eli, its just the way I see Boromir - an epitomy of the duality of Man.
I have to give this to Boromir--indeed he spoke his mind. He was not one to keep his plans under wraps, nor misrepresent his aims. He truly believed that the One Ring would help Gondor. I have to put much of the blame for the misinterpretation and misapprehensions that Boromir had about the Ring squarely on Denethor, who, despite having a deeper knowledge of lore related to the Ring and its history, did not understand the key aspects of its nature. Faramir had this understanding; Boromir and Denethor did not.

Boromir was, first and foremost, a physical warrior. As a warrior, he was true and forthright, and fought to the death to protect his charges--you can see the echo of this transmitted through Pippin's swearing of fealty to Denethor in Minas Tirith. Understanding of the Ring's nature was simply beyond Boromir--until the end. In a way, his confrontation with Frodo clarified things not just for Frodo, as was explicated in the text, but also for Boromir, in a flash of understanding. Boromir, although fallen, was redeemed in the blink of an eye. As with Pippin and the Palantir, the burned hand teaches best, but, alas for Boromir, he did not have the chance to apply his insight for long.

Quote:
Also, I believe Boromir even after going crazy he held back, because he could of easily over powered frodo he was a strong, broad shouldered man, typical Gondorian. I feel as if he was holding back his full strength when he attacked frodo because he could of very easily over powered frodo.
I think the main reason Boromir didn't reach Frodo was because Frodo kept objects between him and Boromir at all times, knowing that he was no match for the Gondorian. This, too, illustrates the straightforward nature of Boromir--he could only act directly, but Frodo, being capable of stealth, as all hobbits are, could dance around him if need be. And, of course, Frodo did put on the Ring to effect his escape from Boromir. The madness, I think, took him, but once Frodo and the Ring were out of sight, he realized what had happened. I think if Boromir had laid hold of Frodo, there would be no contest--of course, the movie had a bit more contact between the two, and in real life, I'll bet Elijah Wood could have thrown Sean Bean around with the proper application of leverage!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #17
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well said Lyta. About the attack on Frodo, I believe ther is a line from the book, (could be movie, I sometimes get them mixed up), where Boromir tells Frodo that he is no thief, and did hold back for a little bit from just taking the ring. This I think gave Frodo time to react by moving behind something. Of course, that might have been before the madness fully took him.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:45 AM   #18
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I know Boromir was a very valiant man of Gondor, much beloved by his people. However he also had a great fall, which concerned the Ring; wanting to steal it. I wonder then, if in actuality, Boromir was not unlike King David, only now more remembered for Bathseba rather than for Goliath (if you understand "Christian-ese").

Think this is where we "Boromir-haters" are going wrong?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #19
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That is an excellent comparison, Elianna. Not to mention all the other great things that David did. (Book of Psalms, the many victories over the philistines, sparing Saul, etc.) Even he was forgiven for the whole Bethsheba thing-- why not Boromir. He is human after all, and we tend to screw up quite a bit. His humanity is just one more reason to love him so much.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #20
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think the question at the front end of this thread is a great one: why love Boromir?

I think that in searching for an answer to this question most people turn to what makes him admirable and great -- and there are many things here (see above -- wow, but you guys dig on Boromir! ). What makes it 'possible' to love him, though, are his flaws -- or, rather, his flaw, which is the desire for personal glory and reknown (cf The Council of Elrond where he keeps interrupting people who know a lot more and lot better than him).

Eowyn found out to her great sadness and pain that loving someone above the human norm is a dangerous and painful thing. Aragorn is not for 'real' people to love, but to cherish and follow -- how could there be anything like a happy marriage between Aragorn and a mere normal mortal? I love Aragorn so much that to be in his presence daily would render me mute and abject with worship: not a healthy relationship.

Boromir is closer to our own level; his flaws are our flaws. Those who judge him for succumbing to the temptation of the Ring don't really ask themselves how they would have done in the same circumstance. . .

I love him not in spite of his attempt to take the Ring but because of it. It shows that he's someone I can have an equal relationship with: flawed mortal to flawed mortal.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #21
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

The question isn't necessarily "why should we like Boromir?"... it's more along the lines of "why shouldn't we?" Because he was proud? I defy you to find someone who isn't. Everybody has some semblence of pride, and Boromir quite deserved his. Because he feared the unknown? Who doesn't? What you don't know can't hurt you... bull on that. Because he cracked under severe emotional strain? He could not have helped it. Nobody could. Whether it took a longer time or shorter doesn't matter; any mortal with so much to gain or lose would have lost it a bit in the same position.

Boromir had flaws, yes... but so does everyone. He was valiant, kind, considerate, loving, loyal, strong, talented, powerful, handsome, smart, caring... The list is as long as there are words to describe positively. But then... people love for different reasons as well. I just asked a correspondant of mine and he states that he likes Boromir because he reminds him of his brother. I like Boromir for all of my above reasons. The reasons for liking someone are as varied as the people you ask. My question is... what is your character like? Because its not really why do WE like him, its why would SHE like him.

Fea
Old 03-23-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Thank you for your question Feanor. I first phrased the question that way because I didn't know why anyone would like Boromir, but since I know that now I guess I should now wonder why my character likes him.

Okay, I just looked at my story again to find what kind of a person my character is and found that she is basically:

-horrid at making up lies
-brave and angered when thought to be afraid
-active (sports)

See: honest, brave, active. Just like Boromir. (I know "Opposites attract" but they're enough different, and you gotta have some things in common.)

I also realized that some of the scenes need heavy re-working. *sigh* and I have no time tonight, because it's a half-hour until my bedtime and I have a psych essay to write…better get on that.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:48 AM   #23
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Elianna, what an interesting thought - Boromir c/f King David - yes, indeed! Like Boromir, deeply flawed, but also cared about people and would have understood Boromir's concept of looking after the little guys - this is why he got caught out in the matter of "There's this rich guy who stole a poor man's only lamb, what are you gonna do about him?" Mind you, I can't see Boromir running off with someone's wife, but I CAN see David trying to nab the Ring ... and feeling guilty about it. And like Boromir, someone you can care about not only despite his flaws, but because of them (only he was good at poetry and Boromir was only interested in battle sagas).

Nice idea. I bet Tolkien would have liked it!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:20 AM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The Eye Fellowship

Boromir, also, helped Frodo make a cruicial decision. Frodo saw with the craziness of Boromir that staying in the Fellowship was not an option. One by one the fellowship would of fallen to the ring if Frodo stayed with them. Due to Borormir's attack Frodo realized he had to go alone (but couldn't leave his old Sam behind). If Frodo had gone with the Fellowship after Boromir's death I believe the quest would of failed.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #25
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Elianna, take it from a fellow writer, that even though you my dislike Boromir, your character would not. I believe it was very good of you to realize that you were trying to make your character do something that was against her nature. Look at Boromir through your character's eyes, and put yourself aside. See then, if you are able to see why she likes him.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #26
Aethelwine
Wight

Well?

Are there no other Boromir-lovers?

Cheers!

Aethelwine.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #27
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Maybe you are as alone as I think.

Just kidding.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:40 PM   #28
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

So I'm not a Boromir lover persay, actually more of an Eomer lover, but the point is I want to defend Boromir and his honor! Boromir was just a guy who wanted to live up to his father's expectations. He wanted to protect his beloved homeland and was destined to be a hero.

He wasn't the best man to have lived, but he was still a great guy. He wanted to help the Hobbits and even after trying to take the Ring from Frodo he regretted it and ended up giving his life to take back what he had done. So many think he's a jerk because of what he did to Frodo, but they overlook the fact he tries to help Merry and Pippin in return.

Not to mention he cares about his younger brother more than his father does. He wants Faramir to get the praise he deserves and I think he's a really good older brother for that. So I say Boromir needs some praise in this world of Legolas lovers! Elianna when you finish your story I would love nothing more than to see how you took everyone's suggestions.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:51 AM   #29
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Boromir the brave!

During my current re-reading of LoTR I've discovered that what I love about Boromir is his tremendous valour in the face of an overwhelming enemy. Sure theres the part that everyone refers to, killing the 40 or so Uruks and trying to save Merry & Pippin, but I've come to believe that Boromirs bravery is best described in Moria at Khazad Dûm. There his actions were not just brave, they were legendary, and even on a par with Aragorn himself.

As the Fellowship realise that hundreds of Orcs and worse still, a Balrog, are closing in on their position, Legolas drops his arrow in fear and wails, "Ai, ai! A Balrog! A Balrog is come!" Gimli gives it a "Durins Bane!" then lowers his axe and covers his face. Gandalf says it is "an evil fortune" and the rest (including Aragorn) do nothing. Boromir though, in blatent defiance of this terribly powerful foe, "raised his horn and blew. Loud the challange rang and bellowed...For a moment the orcs quailed and the fiery shadow halted."

Next we have Gandalf telling the Fellowship to 'Fly!' across the bridge, yet "Aragorn and Boromir did not heed the command, but still held their ground, side by side, behind Gandalf at the far end of the bridge."
Once the Balrogs first blow is deflected it "leaped full upon the bridge" towards a "grey and bent" Gandalf, then: "He cannot stand alone!' cried Aragorn suddenly and ran back along the bridge. 'Elendil!' he shouted.'I am with you Gandalf!' 'Gondor!' cried Boromir and leaped after him."

Boromirs courage under fire, his standing shoulder to shoulder with Aragron in defence of Gandalf and the Fellowship, and his total readiness to face almost certain defeat by the Balrog, all display his excellent bravery and honour. At Parth Galen Boromir had to try and make amends for his attempt to take the Ring, but in Moria he was acting out of pure comradeship and his own great valour.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #30
Aethelwine
Wight

All I have to say is: I can't tell you how right you are, Numenorean!!!

I really don't understand why I didn't mentioned the Balrog-incident... *hides in shame*

Cheers mates!

Aethelwine.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #31
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Because of his bravery. He died to save Merry and Pippin. That is why I like Boromir.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:02 AM   #32
Etharius
Animated Skeleton

Etharius has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir is easily the fella i'd love to fight with and die by in LotR by far more than with anyone else.

He is the coolest character!

His passion for Men and Gondor, his passion for the restoration of Glory. And above all, his folly.

He is the character i truly understand.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM   #33
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir is the greatest

Boromir is a valiant and honorable man. He is fearless in battlle and is loved by the soldiers of Gondor. It is most unfortunate that he was snared by the power of the one ring. But really it could have been anybody. Hey, bad things happen to good people.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:18 PM   #34
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
ummmmm.......!?!?!?

O.O Why would anyone love boromir!?!? *gasp*
Wellll...
1) He rocks!
2) he's patriotic
3) he's loyal
4) he's from Gondor (GONDOR ROCKS!!!)
5) he's a good older brother
6) he died protecting Merry and Pippin
7) he's just really cool...
8) he's rather arrogant
9) he's a good military commander (he IS!)
10) ummm....42???

I never really THOUGHT about why anyone would like Boromir- it seems so...obvious...you know? No, you don't...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:20 PM   #35
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
why would anyone love boromir!?!?!?
Umm....I never really thought about it.
hmmmmm
He's loyal, brave (not in that stupid hero-type way, in the cool ANTI-hero type way), kind, a good older brother, great commander, patriotic, protective, etc....
Old 05-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #36
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Silliabud: 42? What'd you mean?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:28 PM   #37
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

42 is the answer to the greatest question ever asked, of life, the universe, and everything
Old 06-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #38
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Right, of course, and all your base are belong to us?
Old 06-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #39
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Jacob have I loved, Esau have I hated... I'll readily admit I love Faramir. And not just drooling over David Wenham (I only do this seldom, spelt his name wrong didn't I?). I love Faramir from the books, so kind, so...good, the wizard's pupil (a wise thing to be, even against his father's will), second only to Boromir in Gondor's army, and he (unlike Boromir, I might add) loved tales and songs of lore for more than just their battles. He was first to remind me of King David and fits the discription better than Boromir in my opinion.

*sigh* I just don't get it. Maybe I'm new at this whole "love" thing, but why love Boromir, why love anyone, for their faults?