The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting Bad/Good scenes in extended edition

What scene or scenes in the extended edition of TFOTR were you glad they left out of the original film? What scenes did you think they should have left in?
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

I think they were all great, but they should've added even more. You know, called back the actors and had them film a bit more.<P>Didn't you just love the S.-B.s scene at the party?
Old 11-18-2002, 12:35 AM   #3
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not so sure. I on thw whole liked almost all of the added scenes. The added dialouge for Bilbo/Gimli/Legolas help flesh their characters out. However their were a few scenes that I wasn't so hot about. The scence where Aragorn is in front of that statue of his mother for example. Aragorn says that he never wanted the power or duty to weild Narsil. Oh come on. He carried the broken stub with him all his life, like he wouldn't weild it if he could. That about the only scene that rubs me the wrong way.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The extended version was great I liked all the scenes except the arguement between Aragorn and Boromir(the movie did enough to show Boromir's weakness with the ring, no more convincing is necessary) and what is with the knife licking in the Aragorn fight scene at the end? That was just gross. Other than those two things I thought it was more like the book. I esp. loved the Gal. and Gimli scenes.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:27 AM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I <B>loved</B> all of the added scenes and I thought that they brought the movie/characters closer to the book itself!<P>Favorite new scenes were: the gift giving scene in Lothlorien, Celeborn speaking, the lembas scene. I also loved that they added back in some more banter between Gimli and Legolas and I was so <B>happy</B> to see Gimli's love for Galadriel was added back in!<P>I <B>loved</B> seeing more of the Shire and the Hobbits!<P><I>*Sighs*</I><P>I just <B>love</B> this movie <B>period</B> and by the way I will <B>NEVER</B> watch the original version again!!!<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 11-19-2002, 02:07 AM   #6
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the extended version is so much better than the theater version. I loved the scene with Aragon in front of the statue of his mother-it made him seem so much more human. The Shire scenes brought the hobbits to life for me!!! They never should of cut the gift giving scene from the movie because it was very important to the rest of the story.
Calenedheliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:06 AM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and what is with the knife licking in the Aragorn fight scene at the end?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Actually, that was straight out of Tolkien. Shagrat licks his knife after he stabs Gorbag in the Tower of Cirith Ungol. I can see that appealing to P.J., the blood-thirsty lil' thing.<P>I know I'll be stoned for this, but I almost thought "Concerning Hobbits" went on <I>too</I> long. I could certainly have done without that "ear-mining" snippet. But other than that, I really enjoyed all the added scenes, and I think they served the movie well.<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:33 AM   #8
Luinadar
Pile O'Bones

Luinadar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Loved every aspect the extended version has brought us! The new panoramic glimpses of Moria and Lothlorien were breathtaking views, really adding the epic scope such marvels deserve.<BR>The characters were all given a bit more chance to 'live', and the magical imagery of the Wood Elves gliding through the trees at the start will stay with me forever.<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Luinadar ]
Old 11-19-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I tend to agree with Birdland a bit about Concerning Hobbits. I have only watched it once (I've been busy watching Lothlorien over and over, then the special features) but it didn't seem to flow as nicely as the theatrical version. I liked seeing Sam gardening, but other than that... Maybe when I've seen it more I will appreciate it more. But I was rather fond of the original opening with Frodo reading the book, and the words, "The Shire...60 years later", then you hear Gandalf, etc. I just prefer that to Bilbo and the map.<P>My dad liked the ear cleaning bit. Men.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #10
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could have done without the "ear mining" thing also. I imagine hobbits as very conservative, not out-and-out doofuses! I liked the Lothlorien stuff best, can't believe it was cut! I didn't like the Merry and Pip flipping Aragorn on his back. It made my back hurt, and look to "stunty", just a stumble would have worked for me, and Pip making a face like he had a stomach ache instead of burping. Whatever! I won't watch the theater version again either!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #11
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, well I really liked all the new scenes. My only problem was that they didn't add more banter between Legolas and Gimli. In the movie all you saw was an exchanged of glares and one comment from Legolas. Granted, those were funny bits, but I could have really gone for more.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:41 PM   #12
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I enjoyed the new scenes a lot. I was especially glad they included the gift giving scene, even though one part annoyed me: Galadriel gives Sam the rope and not the dirt! <BR>If they don't put the Scouring of the Shire in the third movie, I'll be <I>so</I> mad.... *grumble grumble*<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:15 PM   #13
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
1420!

"You know, Frodo, when your parents died, I didn't take you in for...for charity. I did it because you were my favorite relative. You were--"<BR>"Bilbo, have you been into the Gaffer's wine cellar again?"<BR>"Well, I--"<P>That about says it all, doesn't it?<P>
Old 11-23-2002, 01:41 PM   #14
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I pretty much liked 'em all. "Concerning Hobbits" was probably the most expendable (the ear-mining thing was, I agree, completely unnecessary) but it had its redeeming features; getting to see Bilbo working on his book, also yelling for Frodo to answer the door; it's amusing then to see Frodo reading outdoors and realize that he's playing hooky in a way . To be honest, the only scene that really threw me was the addition at the Council of Elrond where Boromir tries to pick up the Ring and Gandalf recites the "Ash nazg durbataluk..." (I think that's how it starts). It was good to have the recitation of the poem back in there, as well as Elrond's bit about how the Black Speech had never been spoken in Imladris before, but the way Boromir lunges for the Ring after about three seconds of discussion makes him look slightly...unstable. You do sort of wonder why Elrond didn't hesitate at least slightly when Boromir announced that he'd be coming with the Fellowship; if the Ring was calling out to him to snatch it after two minutes' acquaintance, who knows what might happen later?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:28 PM   #15
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I agree with Birdland about the knife licking… very much like Mr. Jackson. I agree with Kalimac about the Council scene… that does seem pretty irrational. I loved the addition of the Aragorn/Boromir argument because it is much more revealing for those who have never read the book. It emphasized the power of the one ring over the mind and heart, and it drew a sharp contrast between common men, and the great man Aragorn was.<P>Galadrie1, that worries me as well. I think this is a good sign that the scouring won’t be in the movie. I just hope that whatever Mr. Jackson did with the end of Saruman isn’t too outlandish.<P>The tea pouring scene that was added struck me strange. I thought the forced perspective stuff that they used was great, but from the first time I saw that added scene, the illusion didn’t work on me. I immediately realized that Elijah was standing in the background, and Ian was looking off into space.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:34 AM   #16
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scourcing won't be in the ROtK - I saw the ext. version yesterday with the comments from PJ, Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens, & exactly somewhere around the Galadriel Mirror scene PJ says so...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:04 AM   #17
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, & the dagger licking wasn't PJ's idea - it was actually his co-director's (who's name slips me at the moment).
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:26 AM   #18
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I loved the new scenes, and pthbpbpbbpth!! to anyone who doesn't! I especially liked how they added back in Gimli falling in love with Galadriel, that was so sweet. And all the battle sequences were so cool. At the end, did you notice how Merry and Pippin were chucking rocks at the orcs and actually knocking them out? Way too funny, that and the lembas scene (snicker snicker). And, Liriodendron, that wasn't a burp... Anywho, I just loved how they put in more character moments with the Fellowship (Sam's song in Lorien was so sweet!) and showing more background and personality in the characters. One more thing...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Didn't you just love the S.-B.s scene at the party?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>YES!!!! That was so funny, how Bilbo could, like, <I>sense</I> that they were nearby. And Frodo's line: "Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?" made me laugh SOOOOOO hard!!<P><I><B>LOTR 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!</B></I>
Old 11-26-2002, 12:43 PM   #19
Fool-of-a-Took
Pile O'Bones

Fool-of-a-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I couldn't stand the original "council of elrond" and "lothlorien" sections anyway so the extended versions of these two scenes I find intolerable and skip past them.<BR>Having watched the film a couple of times now I'm changing my view of PJ. Before, I used to defend his changes to the story, but now I'm not so sure (and I dread to think what he'll do to the next two).<BR>I just hope that people who hadn't read the book before but seen the film now go and read it because some of my friends who haven't, have absolutely no intention of doing so because they thought the film was turd. This would be a travesty as the book is a million times better.<BR>Maybe PJ should go back to making zombie films (Braindead was mint!)
Old 11-27-2002, 05:34 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

No Shire scouring? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-27-2002, 05:48 PM   #21
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
1420!

<B>Spoiler warning!</B><P>Bill Ferny: I've read that Worm is going to push Saruman off the balcony over the stairs of Orthanc. Then he'll fall to his death, that is, being impaled on his own machinery. He is going to have the Palantír in his hand at that point, which is how the good guys get it. No Scouring, I'm afraid!

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:09 PM   #22
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I Loved Gandalf speaking the Black Speech. Love it!<P>Also liked the gift-giving scene, OF COURSE.<P>It's all so good, think I'll go watch it one more time.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:13 PM   #23
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Noooooooooo! (as u can see I like doing that)Saruman dies early? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Sadness sadness sadness...
Old 11-27-2002, 09:10 PM   #24
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Thumbs up

I loved the Lemba's part with Legolas, Merry, and Pippin. That was so hilarious I almost fell out of my chair. But I was glad they addd more scenes to Lothlorien it gave the movie more life to it. Oh yeah, and the scene with Galadriel and Gimli, that was the best part it made me cry for some reason...<BR>Everything in the extended vesion was the best i've been drowning myself in this DVD since I got it. It was Fanastic!!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:17 PM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

I thought the lemba part was a little corny, but hey! That's just me!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:42 AM   #26
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
The Eye

As for the lembas part, does Pippin actually fart? It sounds like it.

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 05:11 AM   #27
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved all the new things from Lothlorien and there was a small detail that is so important to me to see: On the first DVD, when Legolas says "I have not the heart to tell you", the scene is not cut directly to Legolas and you miss 1-2 seconds before you see him. On the extended version, you see Legolas saying this, not just hearing it, and you can see that he has tears in his eyes. Those tears are so important to see.<BR>Also, I love the scene with the happy, singing and drinking Hobbits.They are so wonderful!
Old 11-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #28
Luinëcolloien
Animated Skeleton

Luinëcolloien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinëcolloien
Silmaril

No scouring???? Man! <P>Well as far as favorite scenes...Didn't you just -love- the scene at the Green Dragon, with Pippin and Merry singing? I just found that to be absolutely hilarious, and, adorable at that. Shows that no matter how stupid those two act (Merry and Pippin) you still just have to love them. I also loved when Gimli complimented Galadriel so nicely at the gift-giving scene in Lothlorien. Why? Because Galadriel smiled, and laughed. To me this was quite surprising because the majority of the time with her she was very solemn and serious. So to see her laugh I think was very nice. I should stop now, or else, I'll go on and on. Thanks though!
Luinëcolloien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:07 PM   #29
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I loved it. I saw it yesterday afternoon, and it was worth every single second of extra footage. I really wish they'd kept it all; I mean, if people stayed in the theatre for three hours, would another half-hour have killed them? But that's just me, I would've stayed for another six to see the whole trilogy all at once. <P>I loved Frodo's line when they were leaving Rivendell: "Mordor, Gandalf...left or right?" LoL!!!<P>I agree with what's been said about Boromir's actions at the Council (though I'm delighted that they left in Gandalf reciting the Ring poem in the Black Tongue, and they did it so well), and also about the "ear-mining." It just didn't work for me. It made Hobbits look stupid. Bilbo and Frodo were <I>unusual</I> Hobbits, but not because they were the only ones with any sense. (Actually, in everybody else's opinion, because they had a rather marked lack of it.) I was also thrilled that they kept Gandalf's rather snippy "knock on the doors with your head" response to Pippin outside of Moria. It almost makes up for them tossing Gandalf's line, "If you do not let me in, Frodo Baggins, I shall blow your door straight down your hole and out through the Hill." Heh.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-10-2002, 10:49 AM   #30
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the bit with the passing of the Elves!!!I think it was my favourite, the music was great!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I loved Frodo's line when they were leaving Rivendell: "Mordor, Gandalf...left or right?" LoL!!!<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That was really funny! <BR>The Concerning Hobbits bit I agree was a bit too long & I think it kinda make the Hobbits sound a bit like lazy slobs (don't kill me!) <BR>And in the Council the Black speech bit was kinda wierd I agree.And the scenes in Lothlorien were ofcourse great!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:44 PM   #31
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked most of it, though there was something about the Isildur scene. When you see him putting the ring on ... it just looks... (hate to use that word) stupid. They should've jumped directly to him loosing the ring in the water. We know he puts it on anyway, why give him that ... facual (is that the right word?) expression? Makes Isildur look naiv and stupid, plain and simple. Elsehow he still had a touch of intelligence ... I mean, Isildur wasn't <I>that</I> stupid! <BR>Most of the rest extras gave a better view of ME, imo.
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:40 PM   #32
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought the seen with the lembas was really funny, and I thought that all the added stuff in Lorien was great! My favorite though, was when Gimli says something in Dwarvish to Haldir, and Aragorn says "Now that was NOT very courteous". I wish they had added subtitles for that, I want to know what he said! <P>The hobbit digging for earwax wasn't that great, it made it look like all hobbits were dim-wits. Granted, some aren't the swiftest, but still.
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:45 PM   #33
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked them all. Especially the Lembas scene
Old 12-11-2002, 06:40 PM   #34
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I liked a the extra scenes, however, I didn't love them. To me, the part w/Aragorn by himselfbtalking about his burden did sound corny, and I agree with Turoch about it. Anyways, a lot of the new scenes were pretty funny, but I find that odd. I do like those funny parts mentioned, and also the part where the drunken hobbit is walking around with the wooden keg (or would it be just called a barrel?) on his shoulders. I can see why they left out the scene with Aragorn singing in the marshes. It hurt my ears it was so bad. And I hope they never have Viggo sing again. Just kidding, but it sounded crappy to me. Anyways I was satisfied with the extra scenes but I'm glad I bout it mainly because of the extras about the making of teh movie.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote