The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
Victariongreyjoy
Haunting Spirit

Victariongreyjoy has just left Hobbiton.
Season 2 for ROP might be a breake or make it for the show

I enjoyed the show a lot and happy for the return to Middle-Earth once again. But I gonna be honest and say I'm worried for the future now that WB is back.

The show still gets slammed by a lot of people online. Everywhere I look on the biggest social media platforms whenever there is a post about ROP, it's usually negative. I know Amazon don't care about the online hate, but I'm worried about casual viewers might tap out of the show.

The Tolkien fandom is divided about ROP to put it mildly and Amazon now is dependent on the general audience to help boost the views. That's both good and bad. The good is normies will eat whatever Amazon throws at them. The bad is little buzz online, and if there is it's usually negative. I don't think Bezoz expected the show to get such massive hate. Sure he cares about the viewership, but I do feel he wants it to be beloved as well.

Now I hope and don't think they will cancel it after S2. But I fear ROP might not go all the way with 5 seasons. It could be they all wrap it up with a third season if the reception is still negative or even worse.
Victariongreyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
RoP had mixed reviews here. Many people liked it. Others less so. Personally, I enjoyed it to the extent that I managed to ignore where it varied from JRRT's writings (which it did fairly frequently). I'll admit that I have not rushed to view it a second time.

Amazon, at least initially committed to a five-year run. I have not heard any plan to deviate from that commitment. I certainly hope that Amazon will not pull a "Fantastic Beasts" and cancel mid-stream. However, I doubt that the WB project will have any immediate effect. WB does not even have a script yet, let alone a cast. I doubt that we will see any release from WB until 2025.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
The show still gets slammed by a lot of people online. Everywhere I look on the biggest social media platforms whenever there is a post about ROP, it's usually negative. I know Amazon don't care about the online hate, but I'm worried about casual viewers might tap out of the show.
Yeah, I see that as well. With Amazon ramping up toward the 2nd season, the usual PJ is Tolkien reborn' fanatics and the grumpy gatekeepers thinking they have something they need to protect are starting in again. I myself tend to enjoy humouring them, and I will enjoy what average show Amazon presents. Amazon is already all-in for five seasons. It may get better; it may get worse; or it may hover around the average bar. I dont think the WB/Embracer projects will matter much.

Tolkien's works stand tall and solid despite the onslaught of interpretations by Bakshi, Peter Jackson, Amazon, and especially all the youtuber and social media commentary.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote