The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Favorite Vala and Maia

I am fascinated by the Valar and Maiar, and naturally, I have my favorites, the ones who attract me the most. I think it probably says a lot about one's personality, the kind of Vala one is drawn to. Who are your favorites?
I have two favorite Valar: Varda and Ulmo. Varda is greatest in beauty of the Valar, and it was she who created the stars, the first things the Elves saw when they awoke in Middle-earth and the things they love best.
Quote:
Then she began a great labour, greatest of all the works of the Valar since their coming into Arda. She took the dews from the vats of Telperion, and therewith she made new stars and brighter against the coming of the Firstborn; wherefore she whose name out of the deeps of time and the labours of Ea was Tintalle, the Kindler, was called after by the Elves, Elentari, Queen of the Stars.
It was also she who gave the Sun and Moon the power to move through the skies. I love her because I love the stars and the moon above almost all things in God's creation.
Ulmo is the Lord of the Waters, second most beloved thing to the Elves, and to me as well. He alone among the Valar never abandoned Elves and Men but loves them and has often given help to them.
Quote:
The Elves say that the spirit of Ulmo runs in all the veins of the world. Thus news comes to Ulmo, evenin the deeps, of all the needs and griefs of Arda, which othewise would be hidden from Manwe.
I love the tale of how he appeared to Tuor.
Of the Maiar, my favorite is Olorin. I suppose that is natural because he is Gandalf, but I also love him because he is Olorin, "wisest of the Maiar." Wisdom is very attractive to me, and also compassion, his two greatest traits:
Quote:
His ways took him often to the house of Nienna, and of her he learned pity and patience.
It was this learning from the sad, compassionate Nienna that caused him to be the great leader in Middle-earth that he was in the Third Age.
Quote:
In later days he was the friend of all the Children of Iluvatar, and took pity on their sorrows; and those who listened to him awoke from despair and put away the imaginations of darkness.