The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Were there any famous actors who wanted to be in the film and didn't get a look in?

Well I think the question says it all really. <P>Have any of you Barrow-downers heard if any famous actors tried everything thery could to get a part in the film but didn't get anywhere? Cos I haven't heard anything, or is The Lord of the Rings one of those films that crept up on all of us without us realising it?<P> <p>[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Rosolas ]
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:19 PM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Apparently, David Bowie wanted to play Elrond! <P>*cowers in terror as scenes from Labyrinth in SPANDEX flash through my scarred memory*<P>I'm glad he didn't get the part!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Beatles wanted to make a LOTR film, that would have been interesting.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
"I wanna hold your ring!" Har har. <P>Seriously, Vin Diesel wanted to play Aragorn. Har har har har har.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:02 AM   #5
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Seriously, Vin Diesel wanted to play Aragorn. Har har har har har.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>My goodness, that would have been tragic <BR>And as many of you know, Stuart Townsend was cast to play Aragorn and they actually shot scenes with him as well. But he was turned down after they reaslied he wasnt the right Aragorn. Im glad they made that choice. <BR><A HREF="http://viggomortensen.narod.ru/images/townsend-aragorn.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Stuart </A> looks more like a biblical character than Aragorn in that whole outfit...<p>[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'd never seen that pic before, thanks!<BR>I'm glad too. Way too young. Like a boyband member with a stick-on beard...
Old 01-27-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hereby nominate Vin Diesel as one of the worst actors of all times and I'm very glad he didn't play Aragorn.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #8
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT PIC BURNS MY POOR EYESES! THIS GUY IS SCARY! THANK HEAVENS FOR VIGGO MORTONSEN!
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #9
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh. My. Word. <P>They even <I>considered</I> him? Like...<I> cast</I> him? Ooookay...he must have been a good actor. <P>All I can say is I'm really glad I didn't have to endure two, three and a half hour movies with him in them. I reaaaally like Viggo.<P>Laialthriel
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:56 PM   #10
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry guys but I don't think he looks that bad. But when you've got used to something ('specially something so central to all our lives) it seems to clash with any other ideas. He's a good actor as far as I've seen.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:41 AM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, so my first thought when I saw the pic was "hair band Aragorn". But that's just one picture. Hard to judge this performance by that. <P>I thought Townsend and P.J. had "artistic differences", which I thought meant a disagreement over how the role was played. But he does look pretty young to be playing the world-weary future king of M-E. <P>I do know one thing - if he had played the role, he would have given ElijahFro a run for his money in the dorm poster market.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

EEEP! Yes after seeing that I'm glad for Viggo. Hey, I'm just glad that this is one movie that Tom Cruise didn't manage to invade. Also be thankful that they didn't cast Justin Timberlake as Legolas.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #13
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But when you've got used to something ('specially something so central to all our lives) it seems to clash with any other ideas.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Silmarien, you are right. It is very easy to overreact about something like this. He just looks so <I>strange</I> in Aragorn's clothes. I think Viggo Mortensen did a superb job as Aragorn and I am glad he was cast in the role. <P>I wonder what the actor (I don't remember his name) thinks now that he can watch the movie(s) and think 'That was me for a little while...' Just a thought. Btw, what other movies was this guy in? I've never seen him before.<P>Laialthriel
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #14
Dimannûnien
Animated Skeleton

Dimannûnien has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Stuart Townsend was in Queen of the Damned, playing Lestat, vampire cum rock star. Quite fetching in a pair of leather trousers.
Dimannûnien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #15
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

*sigh* Poor Stuart couldn't even play Lestat right...Makes you wonder what PJ and company were on when they casted him
Old 02-01-2003, 01:51 AM   #16
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well I am really glad that Viggo played Aragorn. Orlando Bloom originaly wanted to play Farimir but it was already taken so he choose to try out for Legolas. Interesting,huh.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:07 AM   #17
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Iben Hjejle (star of High Fidelity) auditioned for Éowyn<BR>* Johnny Vegas (tubby British comedian, Shooting Stars regular for last two series) auditioned for Samwise Gamgee<BR>* Billy and Dom were interviewed as general hobbits - NOT Frodo as some rumours say<BR>* Sean Connery was allegedly approached for Gandalf<BR>* Apparently, Uma Thurman was considered for Éowyn<BR>* Oh, and there were rumours that Daniel Day-Lewis thought about Aragorn<P>(NB: All above are taken from the January 2003 issue of Empire)
Old 02-01-2003, 02:10 AM   #18
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

NOT a double post!!<P>Stuart Townsend also starred in a film called Shooting Fish, made in about 1997...just in case anyone was interested. And he DOES look really strange as Aragorn! (no offence to Stuart Townsend or any of his 'fans' if you're reading this btw)
Old 02-01-2003, 07:27 AM   #19
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Weird! Still, it's probably his least flattering picture. Yeah, he does look strange as Aragorn. But doesn't Viggo? If anything, I think the animated Aragorn beats both of them. I can't decide if Stuart looks more like Blackadder, or Baldrick!<P>Stuart Townsend had probably read the books before turning up (Viggo glanced at them on the plane to NZ). His artistic differences with PJ were probably something like "What in god's name was wrong with the Aragorn in the book?!" I'd definitely be keen for someone with a less ethnic accent, though. Viggo's mixed bag of enunciation comes off stronger than even Liv Tyler's. It's the English language version, after all. Why didn't they just cast Chow Yun-Fat as Legolas?<P>Interesting about the chick from High Fidelity as a possible Éowyn. She definitely looks the part, but might be a little too small and wussy for it. I always thought Cate Blanchett would have been perfect (not that she wasn't perfect for Galadriel as well!) - <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001594" TARGET=_blank>see here</A>.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:01 AM   #20
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Um, on your link Iargwath, what language is it in and where can you find the pic???<P>Elessar
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:28 AM   #21
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Oh so he's the guy who was supposed to be Aragorn!<P>Yep. Too young, and too much like Jesus Christ!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:38 AM   #22
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It certainly is weird seeing that picture after getting so used to Viggo as Aragorn. I dare say I could get used to it, but Viggo is a perfect Aragorn in my eyes.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:57 AM   #23
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stuart Townsend looks a little too young to play Aragorn. And the hair looks extremely, extremely fake. On Viggo it looked real. No offense, but Stuart looks like he's wearing a rug.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:08 PM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uma Thurman? Eek! There are only two people who could possibly play Eowyn besides Miranda: David Wenham and myself.<P>Stuart Townsend: nice guy, wrong for Aragorn. Oh so wrong.<P>I can't imagine Daniel Day Lewis in the part, but I don't think he'd be as good as Viggo, although he would do a decent job, I'm sure.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #25
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I heard somewhere that they originally offered Sean Connery the role of Gandalf - not that I have a thing against the man but thank Eru he declined so Ian McKellen could take it instead as I can imagine <B>NO</B> other as my favorite wizard!<P>I also heard that they originally turned Elijah Wood down for the role of Frodo as it seems his accent wasn't all that great - don't know who they originally had in mind to play Frodo through...
Old 06-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #26
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

John Rhys-Davies originally auditioned for Denethor, so he could have just a small part in such an incredible venture.<BR>I was reading in the archives of Theonering.net, and almost everything was about how Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman were playing Faramir and Eowyn.<BR>I thought Dominic Monaghan auditioned for Frodo? I know that Kevin Max of DC Talk did. <I>That</I> would have been freaky.<P><I>"Ohhh woah, seve meeee...."</I>

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

For those basketball fans out there: Doesn't the pic of Stuart all dressed up for Aragorn look like Tony Parker of the San Antoino Spurs ( just the face )? Sometimes wierd things like that just strike me .<BR> For all the LotR fans: Actually PJ was going to go with Stuart, but he thought Aragorn should have a BIGGER role!? So PJ immediantly dumped him & called Viggo, giving him 24 hours to decide whether he wanted to spend at least 3 YEARS in New Zealand! Lucky for us his son made him go... . I wouldn't say Vin Diesel is the worst actor of all time. He's a good actor, but he would be the worst actor of all time for the part of Aragorn. Besides, it would just be wrong to see, The Lord of the Rings, starring Vin Diesel. <p>[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #28
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Iben Hjejle as Eowyn? Interesting... But maybe a little too old(!) for the part - Miranda Otto is doing a fine job I think.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:37 PM   #29
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Stuart remindes me of Tom Cruise in Legend. Now that was scary!!

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:31 PM   #30
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*looks @ Stuart pic and shudders* ughhh. I'm glad they cast Viggo. That picture looks like a caveman with moss stuck on his face. By the way, Vin Diesel as Aragorn would have made me want to kill.<BR>Sean Connery would have made an okay Gandalf but Ian McKellen is much closer to my imagination.<BR>Did someone say they almost cast Justin Timberlake as Legolas?!?! I wretch at the thought. *runs out of the room screaming and faints in horror*<P>On a side note, I think the reason that Lord of the Rings did so well was that they used so many little- or un- known actors (yes there are fairly big ones like Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee but there weren't any Mel Gibsons or Tom Cruises) so no one got typecast or viewed as one of their former roles (Elrond excepted).
Old 07-02-2003, 08:58 AM   #31
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've heard that Ray Park ( Darth Maul-Star Wars Episode 1 & Toad-X-Men to name a few ) wanted to play Gollum originally, but PJ went with the digital Gollum instead. That may be just a rumour, but if I was going to cast an actor for Gollum, it'd definatly be Ray Park.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:44 AM   #32
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

She is not so much famous, but a theatre actress here in Australia by the name of Kate Daer would have made a devine elf...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #33
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yikes, you people have it in for Tom Cruise! I can't think of any appropriate LotR role for him, but personally, I don't understand how anyone who's seen Tom can go bonkers over Orlando. He's just too cool!<P>Connery could have made a great wizard! I'm glad McKellan got the part, though. He was outstanding!

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:04 AM   #34
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Tom Cruise!!! screw your heads on everyone!...<P>Tom Cruise? In LOTR! no! ahhh!... well he could pass for a goblin...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #35
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I couldn't see Tom Cruise anywhere either.<P>BTW, Stuart did a wonderful job in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". My acting doubts have ceased; however, I'm very glad they didn't keep him as Aragorn. He would have been far too young.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #36
Tar Palantir

Pipe

Daniel Day Lewis is probably the best young british actor. I believe he would have made a brilliant Aragorn. As good as Viggo mabye even better.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #37
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I heard about Ethan Hawke as Faramir...and no offence to David Wetham and his fans, but I think he would have done an awesome job...I loved him in Dead Poet's Society!!! <P>But with Uma as Eowyn...I think that might have been a little too over the top.<P>...also I guess it's easier for PJ to sign Faramir's death warrant when it is played by an unknown (at least in North America).
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #38
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<P>Johnny Vegas as Sam - completely inappropriate!! Fantastic.<BR> <P>(Although if they'd left a certain Fredregar Bolger in the film, hmmm....)
Old 07-29-2003, 03:25 PM   #39
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Connery could have made a great wizard! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*dies...twice*<BR>With that ACCENT!!! sorry after watching endless episodes of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL i can never take Sean Connery seriously, "Fly you foolsh!"<P>Btw, I second the nomination of Vin Diesel as the worst actor ever....I mean c'mon his name is VIN. DIESEL. honestly...<BR>PJ asked <I>me</I> to play Frodo but I had to turn him down because I reminded him that Frodo is, in fact, male
Old 10-07-2003, 10:51 AM   #40
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arnold the Governor Schwartsy wanted to be a balrog or Troll in the casting.<P>PJ only offered him the Olifant role, so Arnie turned him down.<P>