The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *The TTT Soundtrack*

Have you heard the new soundtrack album? Tell us what you think and which music you like best!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:25 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is it out yet? Where could I get it. Hmm. I need to do some more not-so-subtle-hinting to my parents! I have listened to the Gollum music, it is pretty cool! Perhaps I shouldn't listen to it before I see it, if I do I might not get as much out of the movie , I will be saying "oh! I love this part (of the music!)" Oh well. I have already pretty much spoiled all my first viewing (SPOILERS ARE EVERY WHERE!!!) Hehehe, I've practically got it memorized all ready. <P>Anyone else listen to the soundtrack?
Old 12-08-2002, 07:56 PM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Did it come out today in the United States? Somehow I thought it was supposed to be later than this, but I could well be wrong. (Decembr 10?) We probably get it later than others! Grr!!! Why does that happen?<P>Anyone else have the soundtrack yet in the U.S.?<P>sharon<p>[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-08-2002, 09:13 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Comes out Tuesday the 10th (though I wouldn't be surprised if some store jump the gun like they did with the books last month).<P>I must say that I think I like the music better than the first film. The Rohan theme is beautiful and Shore still manages to keep a good amount of the older themes in the movie. I love it! I can't wait to actually own the soundtrack in 2 days (because I was so intent on watching the film that the music faded into the background alot). But from what I caught... fantastic!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:11 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Sorry if my early setting up of the "official" soundtrack thread confused some. I wanted to be sure it was ready to go for the first ones to report about it. More official threads will be set up for movie characters, locations etc., since we are trying to avoid the confusion that is inevitable when several threads are started on the same topic.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:42 AM   #6
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i got the TTT soundtrack some days ago and may i say it's great you can really picture the riders of rohan riding really fast across the plain, and helms deep WOW!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #7
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ooooooooooooooo i want it soooo bad!! i can't wait anyone know when it comes out here (in europe)?<p>[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #8
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll get it when it comes out, but I won't listen to it until I've actually seen TTT... then, I'll be able to picture the scenes in my head as the music plays, and relive it!
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:08 PM   #9
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It comes out tomorrow, I plan on obtaining it tomorrow. I'll tell you what I think after I get it.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:40 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I'm with Nieninque; I plan to get it as soon as possible (December 10th) and then wait until I've seen the movie. Otherwise, I'll be listening unconsciously to the music itself in the background, and not to the movie itself. Plus, like Nieninque said, it'll help me to relive the scenes of TTT in the theater of the mind. (My mind theater has Dolby Digital Surround Sound 7.1! )
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 08:19 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Listening to it right now. Howard Shore has out done FOTR by far. It fits so well with the movie. If he got an oscar for FOTR he's sure to get a nomination (and maybe another oscar) for TTT. I wonder if Gollum's Song will be nominated... opinions?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:53 PM   #12
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

I love it!!! I just picked it up today..I think it is great!!! A lot of the old familiar themes with new instruments and new voices. Get it now so you can psych yourself up!! I love the Helm's Deep track..very dramatic..
Old 12-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #13
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I love that the themes for the beginning and end are generally the same (as FOTR). It makes me happy to hear the music theme for "The Breaking of the Fellowship" again (I did not notice it in the theatre) - well, happy because it's pretty... it's not really happy music per se.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:55 PM   #14
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Does anyone really like #16, Forth Eorlingas? I loved it! It was nothing short of phenomenal, wonderful, majestic, collasal, victorius, triumphant, glorious...and if you didn't get the picture: I loved it! The Passage of the Marshes was really great too. It seemed like the notes and rythms were actually glooping and bubbling out of the gloom. And all the distorted singing sounded like creepy dead whispers. It was great. Go Howard Shore. Did anyone jump for joy when he blew John Williams out of the water in the Oscars? *raises hand and grins*
Old 12-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #15
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and it's currently on #13 (I can hear that someone will be tempted by the ring in this song ). The soundtrack is beautiful, with new music, yet brushing a bit on past music themes from FOTR. I am planning to do a small review on the music for Journalism class and it has beat out the music from HP and SW by far.<P>As for Gollum's Song, I absolutely loved it. It was different than what you would expect to hear. It was eerie, which is what I love. And the lyrics were well done. I think it should get nominated for an Oscar.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:45 PM   #16
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I love "Forth Eorlingas", and I am also a huge fan of "Breath of Life" and "Samwise the Brave"
Old 12-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #17
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Tigerlily, can I beg you for a bit of a spoiler? I can't figure out what Breath of Life is supposed to be about, and it's driving me insane. Any insights?<P>Also, Knight of Gondor and everyone else who's going to buy it and then not listen to it: How can you stand it? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm with Nieninque; I plan to get it as soon as possible (December 10th) and then wait until I've seen the movie. Otherwise, I'll be listening unconsciously to the music itself in the background, and not to the movie itself <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's the exact opposite for me. If I don't listen to it now, I'll be trying to pick it up the first time I see the movie and I won't catch even rather obvious details. Of course, I play two instruments, so maybe that makes me more audio than visual sensitive...*shrugs*
Old 12-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #18
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the soundtrack!! I think it has a very different - darker and more solemn (if that is the word?)- atmosphere than the FOTR-soundtrack, which is exactly like it should be...<BR>I especially love the theme of the Riders of the Rohan and Gollum's Song...but I think the whole soundtrack is just perfect!Can't wait to see the film!!!!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:22 PM   #19
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

<B> A Shameless Commercial Plug </B><BR><I> Even if it is on-topic </I><P>FOr anyone who does not have the Soundtrack -- It is available in the Barrow Treasures store! There is the regular jewel-case version, the Blue-leatherette cover version (which nicely complements the red-leatherette FOTR soundtrack from last year), and a THIRD VERSION -- the super-secret-tan-leatherette-internet-only 2-disc version. That last Internet-Only version is NOT available on Amazon, DeepDiscountCD, BestBuy, or any other online music outlet. They only made 5000 copies of this one, and it is available only thru the Internet -- it contains extra goodies on the second CD like Middle-Earth maps, trailers and Making Of The Score video. I have reserved a limited number of copies so head to <A HREF="http://store.barrowdowns.com" TARGET=_blank>The Barrow Treasures Store</A> to check it out!
Old 02-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #20
Nostie
Pile O'Bones

Nostie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nostie
Sting

I love the soundtrack too!! Just bought it today...<BR>A question tho...I got lyrics for 'The Ents' and 'The Missing' in the CD, but not the actualy song. Is it my cd or does anyone actually have those songs?
Nostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM   #21
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nostie, it seems that the lyrics are on the soundtrack - there are just no tracks actually <I>called</I> 'The Ents' or 'The Missing'. I believe I saw someplace that the lyrics to 'Missing' are at the 'Helms Deep' track & 'Ents' at the 'Isengard Unleashed' track. But I'm far from sure bout the exact location, mind you!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:27 PM   #22
Nostie
Pile O'Bones

Nostie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nostie
Sting

ok thx!! i'll try listening again...It's kinda hard to hear what they're singing about, esp in elvish
Nostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #23
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, & "The Missing" is sung in old-English!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #24
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like the track called "Evenstar(trk 7)" It is kinda sad, and almost Celtic.
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #25
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I apologize to anyone who thinks otherwise, but "Gollum's Song" is really... strange. I didn't like it at all.<P><B>Track 1</B> is awesome, especially the singing at the part in the movie when the camera pulls away to a great distance and shows Gandalf and the Balrog falling as a tiny fireball into the lake under the mountain. *sigh*<P><B>Track 3</B> is very strong and Rohan-ish. I love it.<P><B>Track 5</B> with its music of the Three Hunters trailing the orcs is just awesome. I like how the song then changes to the Orc music.<P>The others are great, too. These three just stick out in my mind.<P>When I listen to the CD, I put it in my computer and use Windows Media Player. You can have "visualizations" on the Player that go to the beat of the music. I use one that is absolutely beautiful: Night Lights. It varies from a sky blue to white during the songs. It fits so well with the songs. Just marvelous.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #26
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The Mrs & I listened over and over again to this soundtrack, as the one before. When I took it to work, she begged me to bring it back.<P>We particularly liked GOLLUM'S SONG. Not because it really summed up any particular angst of our own, but because it was so truly eerie. The Mrs said it reminded her of old Jim Morrison songs. I think that its expression of angst and self-hatred and despair truly shows Gollum's point of view.<P>I am hopeful that children who fill their heads with this sort of music might hear GOLLUM'S SONG, and perhaps through it come to realize that the music they've been listening to is madness and Gollum thought in the end.<P>Near the subject, last year my church used the Oscar winning soundtrack of FOTR for our Halloween presentation. It was like a haunted house, in which small groups are led through darkened rooms where scenes are played out to tell a story. I did my best John Huston impersonation for the narrative (Gandalf's voice from the Rankin-Bass cartoons). We used the Rivendell music for our Heaven theme and the Prologue music for Hell (along with a lot of gruesome sound effects). VERRRY SCARRRY!<P>I immediately purchased the TTT soundtrack for its possibilities and was not at all disappointed. We MAY this Easter use GOLLUM'S SONG with some folk dressed as tormenting demons to show the despair of Saint Peter after the Crucifixion and before the Resurrection. The music is perfect after the song for Mary Magdalene to come and testify that the tomb is empty.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #27
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have it and it's on right now. It's great, Gollums Song is the best though. It's the one played first when the credits start rolling at the end of FOTR. Strange but cool.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:29 AM   #28
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the whole cd is not better the FotR-OST, buet very different. The best songs, in my opinion, are breath of life, evenstar and Gollum's song.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:51 PM   #29
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Words! Words from "Evenstar" and "Forth Eorlingas" and many more!<P><A HREF="http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_soundtrack_ttt.htm" TARGET=_blank>Click Here!</A>
Old 03-05-2003, 02:59 PM   #30
ElfPrincess77

Thumbs up

Loved the soundtrack...thought it was EXCELLENT!!!! I also realy loved the FotR suondtrack...loved Enya's songs...LYL bbye
Old 03-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #31
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

never seen this thread before... i'm actually sat here now with Forth Eorlingas blaring out in my ears. Evenstar makes me cry so much, so i tend to avoid it now, but Breath of Life is a firm favourite of mine. Gollums Song makes me very depressed, but i sometimes listen to it. oh, and King Of the Golden Hall is absolutely beautiful. As a lady of Rohan its particularly special. I can stand out at the top of the hill and gaze out over the plains, listening to the music, and its just so breathtaking.