The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
Elalia
Animated Skeleton

Elalia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril My Strange but True Experience with LOTR!

Hello Everyone, this is my true story about when I came across LOTR!

Ok, so picture the scence, I was walking in this wood, that I take my dog to, everyday so I kind of know it in side out!It was a bright sunny morning and there was no clouds to be seen. It remained like that for a long time, untill suddenly an overcast of clouds came out of no where! It absoultly poured it down. So I decided the best thing to do was to go home, but it seems to have got really misty and it was really hard to see!
I decided that I better get back quick, so I quickened my pace. Then, I heard one "thud" of a drum, then silence. I stopped and listened then decided to carry on, this time walking even faster. Then I heard it again "thud" I span around, silence again untill I heard "thud, thud, thud" Then the drumming seemed to beat more rapidly and seemed to get louder! I ran as fast as I could away from the drumming, and fell over at least 4 times! Then as I reached this river that I didn't cross to get to the wood I heard a really loud screach.
I decided that I would have to try and cross the river, so I made a jump for it, needless to say I didn't make it, and fell in!
I hauled myself out of the river and could still hear this drumming noise! In the end I ended up walking through a field onto the main road, and walked back to my house.
Later on that day I asked my sister what the weather was like at home when I was away and she said that it had been sunny all day!

I did'nt bother telling anyone what happened because they'd just laugh!

Needless to say, I never did go back to that wood!

What LOTR related things have happened to you?
Old 01-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wow! COOL! I wish stuff like that happened to me. The closest to that for me is getting lost in a wood at night.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:41 AM   #3
Etharius

Sting

Great story Elelia. Though i can say that nothing to that proportion has ever happened to me. I wish i was you back there in that Forest. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Up till now ive had no LotR experiences. All i have is hope that one night i will have a dream of it. But ive not been so lucky.

So far.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Elalia
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

If I had a chance to go back, I would of liked to have stayed a bit longer, to see if it wasn't just my imagination, but I was too scared!

Maybe I'll be a little braver next time [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW! I wish something like that would happen to me. My town is SURROUNDED by woods. Hmm, the closest LOTR experience I've had is this guy sort of looks like Dominic Monaghan. Poor Dom Monaghan! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The onle forest near my house is where druggies hang round. I really woun't want to go there! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
Elalia
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Hello Everyone [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'm surprised you actually replied! Thank You!
Has anyone else got any stories about LOTR?

Love Elalia

P.S You may join my council ElentariGreenleaf! Oh, and I wrote some things on your "Rip Off" topic!
Its not very good though!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #8
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's a topic called 'LotR related injuries and illnesses' on like, page 5. Sorry, I don't know how to link.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The strangest thing in my life is that recently, I have dreams to do with LOTR, and the same thing happens the next day, but with real people! Apparently, im not the only one...
Old 01-11-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
Elalia
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I've had dreams about LOTR too!
My favourite was the one with Legolas in it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Love Elalia [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The ONE with Legolas in it? ALL mine have Legolas in!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #12
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i had a dream where Elijah Wood was my boyfriend...so NYA NYA hes so yummy!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #13
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
i had a dream where Elijah Wood was my boyfriend
No, you cant have him!!! ( pushes horse-maiden to the floor and runs off with said boyfriend, laughing crazily)

But seriously, doesnt anyone else dream something that happens the next day? its not just me, is it?

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 01-11-2003, 06:44 PM   #14
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Thumbs up

That happens to me ALL THE TIME!! I'm always dreaming something and then it HAPPENS. Nothing to do wit LOTR, though. I've become a "Karma" magnet! My friend reads runes, and his girlfriend (my best friend) was asking a certain question that had to do with him, and I don't know how I can explain it, but I KNEW what she was asking! She wanted to know if he was gonna ask her to marry him before she left, and when she told me, I was FREAKING OUT that I already knew it! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It was CRAZY!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:50 PM   #15
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

that was a great story...although i was hoping you'd say something like 'and all of a sudden i saw this tall blonde guy in tights with a bow and arrow'.....*sigh*
Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 AM   #16
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

Farrehn has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

You know its funney, I have dreams all the time and nothing remotely similar happenes when I wake up. My dreams I quess are all weird. But anyway . . . I can't say I've had a LotR experience. Except you know in the first one, where Bilbo is walking around his house asking Gandalf if he want like a million things to eat and drink and stuff. My grandma is just like that. Curly hair and all. She's even short! But her feet are really small, otherwise I'm sure she'd be a hobbit!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:52 AM   #17
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hm... about 90% of my dreams are weird, and they do actually come true once in a while...
Every night (I'm not overdoing!) I dream about this same guy; who, in fact, could remind a little tiny bit about Orli Bloom - and I know him IRL. It's freaky! Btw, that was just a random thought, nothing to do with the part of dreams coming true. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #18
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Heres a freaky one. i actualy had a recuring dream about a girl who later turned out to be my latest best friend! I hadnt met her then, so how did I know?
*cue x-files music*
Old 05-25-2003, 03:01 PM   #19
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eleanor-niphredil, exact same story! i didnt even know her, and i had a dream i was in her garden with her eating peaches. few weeks later, i had forgotten it, and we were friends. then, the peaches came, and i remembered!
Its happened before as well. anyway, this is waaay off topic.
back to the story, that was so cool! I would not advise sttaying longer, by the way, incase an army of moria goblins try to eat you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #20
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Leona has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I haven't had any particularly LOTR related incidents. I dream LOTR every night, normally I'm running around trying to keep the fellowship from killing themselves. Don't ask where it came from but, yah, okay I'm off topic now...

There is of course the fact that if for some reason the dream is not LOTR, then it will come true within three weeks.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #21
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Mine isn't strange but anoying. This old lady at church leans over and looks at my book. I show her the coverThe Letters of Jrr Tolkien. She asks if there is anybiblical stuff in it I reply that there is some. When I turn back to the page I was hilighting she reads Retern of the King and says something on how all those kings were evil back then. I wanted to loudly correct her but seeing as she is 80 I just sat there and did my thing as quetly as posssible.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:06 PM   #22
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gosh, mabye I'm not crazy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Things happen countless times to me that are LOTR related. My house is one of those old fashioned ones and it is surrounded, really surrounded by kilometers of forest, and nobody I know has ever gone through to it to the other side. Theres a dirst road to lead towards the towns and stuff though. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here's my three most recent ones that happened to me

Three days ago:

I was climbing one of the many trees outside my house and it was very foggy, 'cause it had just rained. So, I'm laying in a branch, reading, when I hear what I know now is the sound of an arrow being shot. It got stuck in the tree trunk so I was way far away from it. And I couldn't see who shot it. All I heard was "Sorry!" really softly and then running away. What's even more weird? I was reading the FOTR just as they got surrounded upon entering Lorien....

But people do practice archery near us, but still......

-------------------------

Two nights ago:

I was sleeping and I awoke to the sound of a high pitched scream coming from the woods by my window. I figured it was just an animal or something, but the next morning, there were hoofprints outside my window and a small, thin, peice of black string/material...

--------------------

Last week:

My mom told me to go get some of the stuff that we have growning in our garden for dinner [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]. So, I put them into a small pile and went to go get a basket. When I got back, they were gone, and the field was rustling and, call me crazy, but I could've sworm I heard quiet laugher...

But, it could've been an animal, but how d'you explain the laughing?......

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 02:08 PM   #23
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've had three very weird and random LotR related dreams. The first one is when I'm in a wood, but all I can see are leaves everywhere. They are big and green and kind of thick, like lilly pads but shaped differently. Somehow I know that they are mallorn leaves and think to myself, 'I should pick a few of those up, they'll look good in my sketchbook', because at the time I was doing an art project on leaves.

The second one is more as if I'm an onlooker and I'm not invloved in the situation. I could see Denethor sitting on a chair with a young Faramir (I'm guessing about nine or ten) and a slightly older Boromir at his feet. Denethor has three books, they're kind of thick and kind of old and worn, bound in red or blue leather, and he gives two of them to Boromir and one to Faramir. I can remember worrying that Faramir would feel left out, but he looked pretty pleased with his book all the same. Then the scene changes and I'm walking out of a bookshop with the three books under my arm.

And the third is when I'm at Amon Hen (I think) and I'm running with Gimli (well, I have a very clear image of following him up a path) and suddenly there are a load of Uruk Hai and I have to kill them. I have a sword but I'm not very good with it (you know in dreams when you want to run but can't? It was like that but with a sword). I think it kept switching between them being real Uruk Hai and men dressed up as them, like in the movie. I have very vague recollections of Aragorn and Legolas being about as well. Then the scene changes and I'm in my school music block with Gimli, and there's a queue of kids waiting to come up the stairs, and for some absurd reason I pretend to stab them with my sword and then let them pass me. But as they pass I hand them a jam sandwich.

But what do these dreams mean? That's what I'd like to know.

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 08-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #24
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I have a huge back yard, with a lake, and right before the land meets the lake, it kind of dips down, exactly like the Hill in Hobbiton. I was walking down there one day, and out of the corner of my eye, I could have sworn that I saw the green door to Bag End, complete with the little brass doorknob in the center. How strange is that?!?!

Another great thing that happened to me was that I met an Elf at my local bookstore! I swear that he looked exactly like Fëanor! Jet-black straight hair, silver eyes, pale skin, oh that man was gorgeous!!!! Then we started a conversation in Quenya/Sindarin, and proceeded to get very strange looks from the rest of the store. And the crowning glory of it all was his name, Orlando Fëanor Vanyn! I swear I met Fëanor!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #25
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

The closest LOTR related thing that's ever happened to me was my brother and I were getting stuff out of the car the day after Christmas (the car was parked on the road since the driveway had to be plowed). I randomly said, "Get off the road! Quick!" Then I turned around and a car was coming down the road, and I hadn't seen or heard it before I said that. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Cool. LOL.

But talking about getting lost in the woods, I did that once with my friend two years ago at her house in the middle of nowhere, Maine, and her two brothers and mine. But it was in the middle of January, and we were too stupid to follow our footsteps in the snow back out of the woods. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #26
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Deams that come true, huh? I guess I'll just have to share this little story of mine...(which is totally true! I swear!)

9/11/01 (the night before, anyway)

I dreamed that I was floating in the air, watching a bunch of bats fly by. Several owls showed up to stop them, but three got past them, and one was knocked down. The rest flew away. The scene changed, and I was standing on top of a burning tower, which started to collapse, and I woke up.

While I was eating breakfast, my mom was reading the news on the internet, and commented about an airplane hitting the World Trade Center. (at this point they still thought it was an accident) Then at school we watched the news almost all day, and in fifth hour I suddenly remembered my dream, and was creeped out.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #27
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

This just happened today:

I was walking outside between my classes(they're in different buildings) and a breeze came up from the west, and for just one breath there was a smell in the air that I have never smelled before. It was like the ocean, but somehow sweeter, more...I don't know exactly how to describe the difference. A nicer smell, anyway. I suddenly had an urge to drop my backpack and run, just run, in no particular direction but away from where I was. Then the moment passed, but it left me feeling very sad, like I had lost something.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #28
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sword Maiden Of The Shire-- WOW.. creepy [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

FINWE!!!!!!! I WANNA MEET THAT GUY!!! You're lucky...

I have WEIRD LotR dreams... I mean, like the one with the dog with green triangular teeth...
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:22 PM   #29
Theoden
Pile O'Bones

Theoden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK!
I've had lots of dreams that happen the next day and only 1 LotR moment which was today.
This one is for Elennar Starfire: I have had moments like the one in your class change, I was in class change too when the same thing happened to me!
And for eleanor_niphredil: I have had dreams that have happened the next day. Someone told me this is called DejaVu, but..who knows? I go to school and everything, do my classwork but normally in History or Science lesson something happens and instantly the dream comes into my mind. I say to myself and sometimes to my friends "I dreamed this!"
I get kind of scared when this happens but anyway I love it.
So, anyway, today I had a "Ringbearer" moment. It's not really shocking, but I found it rather funny. Here it goes then:
I had bought a pack of gum and had it in my pocket. I was really hungry and in the mood for eating something. So since gum is not allowed in my school I didn't know if I should eat it or not. Later on I forgot about the gum, but everytime I put my hand into my pocket I though "GUM,GUM,GUM!!!"... until at last I ate it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:50 PM   #30
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

I had an experience the other night. I was reading TTT, and was at the part right after Pip and Merry had met Treebeard. My sisters were in another room listening to a tape. I wasn't paying any attention to what they were listening to. So, here I was reading all about Treebeard, and then I heard this guy on the tape say, 'Let's not be hasty now!' It was weird!!
About dreams coming true... I have the weirdest dreams at times. I'll dream something thats like a little clip of everyday life. I'll be walking through the house and somebody will say something, or I'll see something, or just little stuff like that. Then it comes true sometimes! I'll be walking through the same part of the house, and the person will say the same thing to me they did in the dream. It's really freaky!!
I've been having more LotR related dreams lately. (too bad they don't come true! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Last night I dreamed I was Arwen, then when I woke up in the middle of the night, I actually thought I was her for a minute. Needless to say, I was very disappointed to realize I wasn't. Then, I felt like crying because I had woken up right before the best part of the dream! Anyways, I guess I've rambled on enough for one post!
Arwen
Old 09-25-2003, 11:18 PM   #31
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hi! I'd love to relate an LotR-related thing that happened to me...There was this one time, when my friends(we were a group of 6, and we had names of the Valar, and we called ourselves Aratar)...when suddenly, the lights went out. The moonbeams were slanting through the window, and in its light, we saw a big spider! I thought to myself "Ungoliant killed the Trees!" But then the light returned. My friend just replied, "Just a black-out..."

Lame, yes...but what about second breakfast? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote