The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Tárafëaien

Eye I'm lost and I need help??

Hi to you all. I've just been skimming down through this and I feel I need to join and share my sad pathetic tale.
In my house, there are others who like LOTR but like most no hardcore fans, except for me. And being from a small town in the middle of nowhere Canada (otherwise known as Saskatchewan) and even being distant from that ... well I am isolated and I have no way to become a hardcore fan like y'all. I don't even know where I can learn Sindarin or anything like that! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And the worst part of it all ... my brother, who isn't a hardcore fan, I don't think he's even read all the books, anyways he gets to watch RotK before ME! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Its not fair, not at all.
If any of you can help me with my dilemas please send word ... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey there,bummer to hear about you'r situation,but if it makes you feel any better,I live in a big town and I don't know a single hardcore fan,plenty of movie fans but not a single book fan.As far as learning Sindarin,I don't know any off hand,but their are sites that can teach it,and also I believe I heard of a book that can teach it as well but im just guessing that.As far as ROTK,it could be worse,my brother was holding on to our tickets and he lost them! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]But to make up for it he bought tickets for the noon show for Monday,so I almost forgive him.
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
Jess
Pile O'Bones

Jess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Same with me Lord of Rohan 2003, I am the only one I know who has actually read the books, all my friends are obsessed with the movies, so when I want to talk to someone about something in the books I have to come here (NO OFFENSE! TOTALLY DID NOT MEAN THAT TO OFFEND ANYONE! I meant that it would be cool to talk to one of my friends that I really know to be able to discuss the story with me)but anyways... and I think I've heard of a book too but not sure either. Sorry to hear about your problem Tárafëaien [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~*Jessica*~ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dűm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Okay, run walk or bum a ride(from your family) to the nearest book store. There is a red paper back book that is all about Tolkien’s languages Its by a Ruth S. Noel and I can't remember the name of it. If they don't have it there then order it.

Hey I live in New Mexico of all places in the US and am one of three hard-core people I know in my Village(really it is a part of ABQ. but no one will admit it) My grandmother, and my mother are the only two. Just the other day my friends got me Legolas stuff and I was whimpering the entire time, "but I am not a Nazgirl...." But for those of us who have been exposed to Tolkien since birth I feel for ya. Other people have figured out not to bring up Tolkien around me cause I won't shut up. Alas, the agony!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

First of all, calm down. There is time to become the ultimate fan. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I am a good example. I love to read, and enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia series. But I'd never heard of the LotR books until stirrings about a movie were heard. I started reading them about a week after they came out, maybe two weeks. I saw the movie with 40 pages to go on FotR. I read the books through, then twice. I joined Barrow-Downs mid-2002, and read The Silmarillion during this time. I read reviews, expanded my LotR website knowledge, and e-friends circle. By TTT's release, I was there opening morning. Right after TTT, I had a brief hiatus from Barrow-Downs (by brief I mean nine months), unfortunately.

During 2003, I read the Books of Lost Tales, and kept ahead on all the rumors and pictures of RotK. I reviewed a LOT of stuff LotR-related on Amazon.com, I'm proud to say. (Check it out! Vote it helpful! You'll know it's me because it will say "From: The land of Gondor" or something LotR-related)

As for learning Sindarin, dude, forget it. It's not that important. I'm concentrating on Spanish, which is actually useful.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's a thread (3 pages long!) that should encourage you; Are you alone too? There are many Downs members who don't have LotR fan friends in real life; that's why we come here to share. You can also learn a lot by reading what others who know a lot have posted. Hope you enjoy your personal 'voyage' to Middle-earth!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:17 AM   #7
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I feel your pain [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am learning Quenya, not Sindarin and there are many useful websites out there.

Keep working at it and you will draw people to you - hehehehehehehehe *evil grin*
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that help even a little bit (but I suppose that it doesn`t) than you should know I live in a small country and in a quite small city where you can not be a BIG Tolkien fan . I can`t even get any books in my native language except for LotR and Hobbit though I have bought Silm in english but that`s all . And RotK ? I have to die slowly for it will be here only at 9th of January in the best case . And I`m just dying for I can not get EE of any of those DVDs . But still I live on and am a Tolkien fan here and on the other sites . And as I belive everyone else has allready told you some links to start up you Sindarin . Well I myself prefer the Common Speech [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hope it helped at least a bit .

-Ophe-