The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
Inwe
Pile O'Bones

Location: in a hole in the ground...there lived a hobbit....Too bad I'm not one of them
Inwe has just left Hobbiton.
Shield What is your favorite thing about Middle Earth/LOTR/anything Tolkien related.

Hello, I just want to know what everyone thinks, me being newly deceased and all...

I don't think I could choose a single thing I like above anything else.

Do any of you have the Extended FOTR DVD?
I just got it for christmas, and I've watched it at least 3 or 4 times a day, and I stay up all night watching and reading, and looking @ lotr websites.....

Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd are so funny! No wonder they played thier parts so well! All of the behind the scenes stuff, how a lot of the places were just models and not really that big, and how the Council of Elrond was really inside kind of- well, not ruined, but now that you know what it is, the movie is not that believable anymore, but it is still really good.

Please, say what ever you want in here, I just want everyon's opinion.

Thanxz!!!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Oi....first of all, welcome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The "Oi" was that for me, that is a hard question. Sam is by far my favorite character, (I first read the books when I was 12), and so the first time I saw FOTR I was looking for Sean Astin, 'cause I was curious to know how he would play my "favorite little Hobbit." I thought he did splendidly.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

The extended DVD is great! I loved Billy and Dom's little skit. I thought that was so fuuny. And how Dom is telling the camera how great Billy is, then they go to him and he says "Dom's an idiot." That was funny too/
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:07 AM   #4
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

Farrehn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What I like best about LotR? hmm. Well, um . .. gee, I never really though of what I liked BEST, because I've like just about everything! The books are written brilliantly, as they well should be, seeing how long it took to write them. Tolken is a very bright man, with his languages and all. And the movies are very well done. But I have to say I like the Silmarillion and the history of the Elves. THEY are probably my favorite thing/people . . . whatever, of Tolken's creations. I like how he thought of them. . . right. . Oh, by the way, welcome and yeah . .. enjoy. ((I'm new at this whole board thing))
Old 12-28-2002, 02:14 AM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I haven't seen any of the extended DVD extras, but the movie itself is SO much better than the other cut! Totally different film, it's fantastic (moreso).
Old 12-28-2002, 08:53 AM   #6
ArtsAddicted

Sting

My favourite thing about all this is that there is no hard evidence against Middle Earth being a reality. After all, we all believe... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 12:28 PM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my fave thing about lotr is the endless background. question any small detail, and u can guarantee theres a 5 million page long book on it somewhere!
Old 12-28-2002, 01:06 PM   #8
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh Manwe, I can't choose a favorite part of LoTR. I can't even choose a favorite book! By the way, welcome all newbies! I've only been here a few months so I know how you feel. Peace to all!!

Cherie
Old 12-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ask a broader question, would you? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] No, but that's hard...I don't know. I'd probably say Sam.

He's my favorite character--the perfect friend, the perfect companion, Bilbo's successor and the true hero of the books (both according to Tolkien, the former I saw firsthand and the latter I heard secondhand). Sean Astin was the best actor, IMHO. And he's just such a sweetheart--when I talk about falling in love, I always say finding "my Samwise Gamgee." And he's out there--oh yes, he's out there.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-28-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Oh, and if Middle-Earth were to look anything like New Zealand....the landscape. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:09 PM   #11
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I know what you mean. Dom and Bill are so funny! If anyone has the Extended DVD, check out the audio commentary. The part where Frodo and Sam see the elves headed for the Grey Havens. It's so funny!

Anyway, Smeagol has always been my fav character, but I love the elves and Rivendell as well. It such a beautiful place and PJ did a great job in his portrayal of it.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #12
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The impression I get when I read the books or watch the movies is that there is no one hero. Everyone plays their part in the adventure. For example, without Sam, Frodo would not have gotten very far. Likewise, without Frodo, Sam would still be toiling in the garden and would never show his true courage. And all the other characters as well. Even Gollum is important but not exactly hero material! I like how they all have to depend on one another instead of single handedly saving the day. The best part though, in my mind, is the fact that you start to wonder if Hobbits/elves/dwarves do or did exist! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 03:55 PM   #13
Ar-Gilien
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Gilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite thing about Middle Earth...well, I would have to say, that it's so large and adaptable. Middle Earth has so much to learn and discover, I am always finding myself reading about something new or old. The quest for knowledge never ends...just like middle earth.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #14
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite thing is probably trees. Trees are everywhere, and play important roles. Hiding underneath the gnarley tree roots, Old Man Willow, Lothlorien flets, Ents and Huorns. I really liked the "tree sounds" in the movie. The sounds when the orcs are pulling the trees down into the firepits in Orthanc match the sound of Fangorn. Of course the two trees in the Sil, and the tree in Gondor. The Mallorn that takes root in the Shire, the Party Tree, well, you get my jist! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2002, 05:09 PM   #15
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People will start to think I'm hogging the computer I've been pondering this for so long, I agree with all the people here (except for the ones about the extended DVD extras, I haven't seen them, oh, and Ar-Gilien's second post) so that is basically everything, especially it's depth, it makes RPGing so much easier (believe me, I've tried other things)
Old 12-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love everything, the books are wonderful, the movies are wonderful.
The books are so in depth that they are wonderful, if I had to choose a favorite book it would be TTT, but I love them all.
I Also love all the different people, and the amazing themes that apply to everyone in the stories.

Oh and I also love the movies, because they are so beautiful [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 04:31 PM   #17
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what kind of extras does the dvd have?just wondering if there's any behind the scene stuff with the actors,could someone give me a description?
I've got a dvd,it doesn't have any extra scenes or anything on it,it does have a couple of documenteries though
btw,I like how things seem simpler(at least with a hobbits life)although an elf's life would really be worth living(immortality and all)there's more magic and less machines(I like computers,but other than that,I'm not much of a technology fan)

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: cheeto ]
cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #18
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Favourites...

LotR Character: Eowyn, Sam, Galadriel
Sil Character: Luthien, Turin, Galadriel
Valar: Yavanna
Song: Galadriel´s Song of Eldamar, Lamet for Boromir
Movie Character: Aragorn
LotR Book: TTT
LotR Scene: the whole Eowyn/Aragorn thing, in "The passing of the Grey Company"
Creature: Balrog, Gollum
SilStory: Luthien&Beren, Turin Turambar
Weapon: Anduril
Non-ME-related Work: The father Christmas Letters
...these are a few of my favourite things....
Old 12-29-2002, 10:56 PM   #19
Inwe
Pile O'Bones

Location: in a hole in the ground...there lived a hobbit....Too bad I'm not one of them
Thumbs up

Dominic Monaghan is really good at doing imitations!! I love when he does the thing about John Rhys-Davies, and about Sean Astin's scale-double.
I look like a hobbit, kinda. I'm only 5 feet tall, sadly, but oh,well.
I think it would be fun to live under a hill!
Gollum is really coolie in the TTT movie, but I got all sad and depressed at the end of ROTK book, how he did...you know.....with the finger... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Oh, yeah, you guys!!! Has anyone ever read any of the books by Gerald Morris?? If you haven't, you should!!!
I really couldn't choose anything that I like more that anything else in M/E.
My favorite part of the extended DVD is the "At The Green Dragon" scene, its so funny!
Anyway, I'm starting to get my friend into LOTR. Yesterday in the car, she started writing all this stuff like "Forever Frodo" and "Save the Hobbits" all over her.It was really funny.
Anyway......My fingers are getting tired from all this typing.....
Keep telling me all the stuff you like about...well...anything...
thanxz!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 04:34 AM   #20
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

The enchantment of it all, the complexity and unexplained parts that keep you curious. I love the escapism and the realism in it. Pippin, Gimli, the 13 dwarves, Gollum, Strider/Aragorn, Gandalf, Boromir, Faramir, and all the other characters I love so much, and for that case, the characters you all love too. The ring; it reminds me of drugs. Middle-earth. I like way it is; swords, armor,sheilds, towers, wars...all that medival stuff. Wizards, dragons, elves, dwarves, hobbits...all the paople that never existed but seem so real. The history; it feels like it somehow existed. The barrow downs, the old forest, tom bombadil...untouchable; no movie, animated or real, ever attempted them. They are ours to keep, untainted by others visions. The drama of it all; the way it makes you feel. It gets you excited, stunned, sad, happy, and many more feelings. The way it takes war; as sad and horrible, yet beautiful and glorious at the some time. The themes it portrays. The characters you can relate to. And the fact that it was created by one man, J.R.R. Tolkien. And much much much more that I cannot recall at the moment I'm sure and much much much more that I don't even know or realize.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:39 AM   #21
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's Fantastic (in the literal sense), but it's oh so real. It's believable - a history, not an alternative reality. It exists very much according to the rules of our own world, and fits in quite nicely with our collective cultural heritage. It's much more mythical than fictional.

On a more concrete level, I'd have to say the Noldorin Elves of the First Age that fought against Morgoth.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:09 PM   #22
Orlando Bloom is HOT

Sting

I Legolas
Old 12-30-2002, 03:36 PM   #23
Malkalhugwen

Eye

i luv orlando bloom and he is very hot! that is my favorite thing about the two towers! legolas is fine!(and mine)
~~~love from mirkwood [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 03:39 PM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This is a discussion, 'Orlando Bloom is HOT' - please tell us why Legolas is your favorite character. Two words and a smiley are a rather meager post!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:42 PM   #25
Malkalhugwen

Eye

Orlando Bloom is the best thing b/c he is just a wonderful actor, u know? He really brings a nice quality to the fellowship and to Rohan! His bow was of much use during the battle of Helms Deep! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 05:32 PM   #26
Nurvilya

Sting

I've just become *completely addicted* to LOTR in the past week ,after renting the extended version of the FOTR. I stayed up until I saw double watching it...saw the flat-out movie three times, all the commentaries and the two "making of" discs. Then I saw the Two Towers, am going to see it again, bought the FOTR, extended version, read The Hobbit, and have begun the FOTR. All in the past week and a half. I'm holding off on reading The Return of the King, though, until I see the movie next year, my mind can't create the drama I see in the movies. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Okay, sorry for that little introduction up there, my favorite part of The Lord of the Rings is the Elve,s and I think Rivendell in the movie is so beautiful. And, of course, as already stated, Legolas is quite beautiful too (although I'm not too attracted to Orlando bloom in real life, I don't know what i is about those pointy elf ears and that long blond hair...).

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nurvilya ]
Old 12-30-2002, 09:55 PM   #27
Inwe
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

I'd have to say that another thing I like is the humour. Especially in The Hobbit, and how Bilbo always seems to confuse the other hobbits with what he says."I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve". And the part in the hobbit with the trolls "Please don't cook me kind sirs!I am a good cook myself, and I cook better than I cook,if you see what I mean.".
All day today, I've been reading all my favorite parts of The Hobbit today, and I started FOTR again, so I'm a bit...wierd right now.....

I also really like the whole medieval theme of some of the palces and people. I though Rohan in TTT was really cool, the kind of Norse feel to it.
I also like how the hobbits always seem really happy and carefree. It would be nice if I was really a hobbit....living under a nice hill....eating 7 meals a day....lol

Being an elf would be fun, too. Being really tall, beautiful, having pointy ears...
Anyway, I've probably bored you all to death.....Sooooo.....I'll shut up now.

Thanxz for being patient and listening to all my rambling!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 10:24 AM   #28
Eowessa

My fav character is any of the elves. (Mainly Legolas cuz he is cute, and Orlando Bloom is cute too!!) I am reading the books now for the first time because I really had never heard of LOTR before. But yeah I like the two movies so far, and I can't wait to see the third one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I LOVE LOTR!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 04:35 PM   #29
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I could no sooner pick a favorite part than.......well......anything! The books are great and so are the movies! I love anything Tolkien-related.
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #30
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oooh, good question.

About the movie, that's easy enough- I liked the scenery best. The movies were worth going to just for that . . .

As for the books, I liked Tom Bombadil and Goldberry best, even though I didn't notice until the end of Fellowship of the Rings that they had left them out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #31
Luthien
Pile O'Bones

Luthien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I absolutely love the books for thier epic quality, the great characters(aragorn is my favorite) The Silmarillion is awesome for its history book quality(beren+luthien, turin turambar, and hurin are my favorite characters, Ulmo is my favorite god.) These books have me on a roll of fantasy and medieval epic poetry, aww its some good business.
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #32
Inwe
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thank you all for actually replying!! This was my first topic on this site, and I was just wondering how it would go. It's nice to see that there are some people like me out there. Now I have to work on getting my friend Haylie to come here..... Well, thank you all anyway. Just tell me anything else that you want to, I like reading everyone's opinions. Sorry for setting such a broad topic, I just couldn't really think of anything else at the moment. Well, C-ya later!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #33
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fight scenes, you can't beat 'em.