The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Narya WW LX - Mortal Men, doomed to die

The wind and rain of the stormy night could not reach the tower chamber, but the darkness, it was present everywhere, it was not blocked by the closed window or by the curtains drawn over it. Lady Lómiel Starbrow was sitting by her desk, white wax candles in elaborately decorated candlesticks as her only defence against the ever-growing darkness. Beautiful, strongly drawn characters appeared on the page in a quick pace as she wrote the name of the recipient and then continued:

I call upon you in the direst need and with the utmost confidence. A darkness is gathering on our continent and the winds of change are on Númenór. Things are changing and there are alliances to be made. Now is the time to decide what we want and estimate what threatens us. Therefore, I invite you to a secret council on the uninhabited island called the Isle of the Dead, owned by my family. The council is held on the first day of the upcoming year. Apart from you, nineteen other persons of great importance have also been invited. Do not bring your own servants or guards with you to the island. I swear in the name of both the Valar and the Dark that I will not bring any either, except for the old mute housekeeper who lives on the island. I know you understand this rather extreme safety measure, but otherwise secrecy cannot be maintained and no trust can be created. Yours in haste,

She paused, gritted her teeth, then left a blank space and finished

Lord Thinroz Whiteblade

She took the letter and put it to the pile of nineteen other letters, identical except for the name of the recipient. She took all of them, blew the candles and hurried down to the main hall. She found her father sitting on his high marble chair. He was half asleep, head bowed and his face buried in the long white beard. Lómiel walked to him and asked, softly: “Father?”

“Lommy?” the old man asked, his eyes suddenly wide open. He looked around, looking lost.
“Yes it’s me,” his daughter said softly. “I have brought the letters for you to sign.”
He furrowed his brow. “Letters?” he asked weakly.
“Yes, father. The invitations for the Númenórean, Haradian, Corsair and Variag lords. About the council.”
“Oh… yes…” he nodded, looking to the distance. “Good that you wrote them. Now off you go, you can go back to play with your dolls. I will sit here yet for a while.”
“Father,” Lómiel said. “I asked you to sign them.”
She handed him the parchments and a quill dipped in ink, and he signed slowly and with a wavering hand. She waited patiently, then gathered all the letters again. “Thank you,” she said, planting a kiss on his brow and hastened away.

Lord Thinroz Whiteblade remained on his high chair, gazing to the distance with clouded eyes. “Bring him a blanket,” Lady Lómiel ordered and hurried to find the trusted messengers handpicked for this occasion. She gave each of them one of the letters and the instructions how to get to their destinations.

She remained by the doorstep, watching them go. It was still two months until the set date, two months of uncertainty and expectation. And the night was still growing darker and her cloak could not protect her from the cold the darkness brought with it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The rules

Roles:
4 ringwraiths (werewolves) – each Night they may PM each other, decide whom they’d like to kill and PM me the name. They win when their number equals the number of the innocent.
Seer – each Night PMs me with a name of a villager and I will reveal the role of the named villager to her.
Ranger – each Night can protect one villager from the ringwraiths’ kill. Cannot protect the same person two in two consecutive Nights and cannot protect herself.
Hunter – each Night and Day sends me a hunting pick. If she dies at Night, her pick will go down with her if he’s a ringwraith. If she dies by lynch, she will take her picked person with her regardless of his role. She does not have to send me a new pick every Day/Night but she has a right to do so.
Ordinary villagers – try to lynch ringwraiths during the Days and are used as cannon fodder by both sides.

Miscellaneous rules:
- no double lynches
- no retractable votes
- the deadline is 8.00pm GMT, votes timestamped after the deadline do not count
- in the case of a tie, the mod flips a coin (or actually, rolls the dice since she can’t flip a coin) to decide who dies
- you can’t use PMs etc as evidence and while alive, you are not allowed to talk about the game with dead or living players outside the game (game thread and ringwraith PMs). Dead people do not post on the game thread or the admin thread or talk with living players.
- don’t edit anything except typos etc on your posts, be on the invisible mode, remember ++ and bolding when voting and all that la di dah…
- there are no clues in the narrations: ringwraiths are always referred to as “he” and if gifteds are mentioned anonymously, they are referred to as “she” (and I warn you, if I accidentally write “he” for a gifted it’s most probably a typo since I’m gifted at making those as you might have noticed…)

~*~

The players

Kath
Nienna - pirate
Kent2010 - Black Númenórean scam artist
Legate of Amon Lanc - rebelling Haradian King
Nogrod - Corsair Captain "The Cat O' Nine tails of Ethir Anduin"
Shastanis Althreduin - King of the Sea
Isabellkya
wilwarin538 - sorceress
Nerwen - Queen of the Sea
Nilpaurion Felagund - fussy courtier
Rune Son of Bjarne - Tivo the Sorceror
Lhunardawen - rebelling Haradian Queen
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Groin Redbeard - Variag Warlord of Khand
satansaloser2005
Eönwë
Brinniel

~*~

PLEASE DON’T POST ANYTHING ON THIS THREAD YET. Use the admin thread.

The game starts on May 1st 8pm GMT. Sign up is open all the way up until that.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Night1 falls...

Night1 has now begun.

As soon as they know who they are, the ringwraiths may start plotting with each other and the seer may send me a pick.

Thread still closed to posting.

~*~

The guests arrived, mostly one by one, although there was two married couples among the invited as well. Seventeen of the twenty invited appeared, which Lady Lómiel considered a personal victory. She and her father had walked the way to the pier to welcome the guests who were eyeing around suspiciously, clearly expecting a trap from their hosts or fellow guests. But there was none; the bare rocky island made it clear there were no hidden soldiers around and all of the guests came alone, unattended and unguarded.

“I am glad so many of you have arrived,” Lord Thinroz said to his guests. “I am… I am… delighted.” His eyes wandered to the sea, very grey and restless tonight.
“We welcome you to our humble villa, not an ideal place for such noble people as us, but it suits the purpose of a secret council,” Lady Lómiel put in. “Let us go in now, it is needless to tarry here in the cold wind as we can as well make ourselves comfortable inside.”
Captain Nogrod, also known as The Cat O' Nine tails of Ethir Anduin let out a laugh and said: “Ha! Cold wind? This wind is no cold wind at all. Do you want to know what is a cold wind? It really tears the flesh from your bones, like in the far seas where I…”
“The weather may not be coldest imaginable but it is unpleasant enough,” interrupted Lhunardawen, a Haradian queen.
“Yes, let us go in like our hosts suggested,” her husband, King Legate agreed.

So, they all followed their hosts up the stairs on the hillside and to the old, grievous-looking house on the hill. Lady Lómiel showed them their rooms and introduced the housekeeper, a mute old woman who was quickly agreed to be harmless. A little later, all the seventeen guests and Lord Thinroz alongside with his daughter were seated around a round table.

“Lord Thinroz Whiteblade will now introduce the topic of the council,” Lady Lómiel Starbrow announced, casting a meaningful glance at her father.
“Oh yes…” the old man said. “We are here to discuss…”
“With all respect sir, I have a question,” said Lady Isabellkya. “Why is your daughter attending the council? We were not supposed to bring anyone with us, and neither were you.”
“Besides she is known as an Elf-friend!” spat Groin, a Variag warlord.
Lady Lómiel laughed. “Yes, indeed, they even say I’ve had an Elf as a lover. Do you truly believe everything you hear?” She paused. “My father only promised to bring no servants or guards. I am neither. You don’t need to be worried by my presence. I will see that the housekeeper does her duties and act as a secretary of the meeting.”
There were a few grumblings, but no one protested aloud anymore. So, the hosts introduced the topic and the nineteen of them started debating the matter of the East. There were no conclusions reached and they went to sleep undecided and discontent.

After a few hours had passed, four of the guests emerged from their rooms and gathered to an old tearoom to have a private negotiation...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 05-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Day1 dawns

Moonlight came to the salon through a high window. If someone had been there to see the four cloaked figures, he’d have wondered at how they looked. Very human, but slightly transparent and there was a darkness around them.

“Well met, friends,” the tallest of them said. “I guess you all know what we’re here for.”
“Yes…” hissed another. “We are here for this.” He drew a long, faintly glowing blade from its sheath.
The one whose cloak was lighter than the others’ laughed. “Yes, that is what he asked us to do. Get rid of these people before they pose a threat to him.”
“Or to us,” added the fourth, whose hands looked unnaturally thin and pale in the light of the moon and the stars.
“So, who do you reckon we should kill first? Who is the one who causes the most harm?” the first speaker asked.
“Lómiel Starbrow,” he with the pale hands replied immediately.
“The woman who manages the household and makes notes about our meetings?” the one who had drawn his sword asked in disbelief.
The light-cloak laughed again. “You are truly blind, my friend. Whatever the façade was, she was the one to truly led the council. She led us all as she willed – us kings, sorcerers, warlords and pirates… Don’t underestimate her. She is dangerous for us.”
“Besides, whatever she says, there is the possibility that she has had dealings with Elves, which is most undesirable from our point of view,” the tall one added.
“And if we kill her, her father will be out of the game too… He’s no more than her puppet, whatever they try to make us believe,” the light-cloak grinned.
“You win, you win,” said the swordsman. “Let us go.”

Moving as one, the four stood up and walked out of the room. When they strode through the corridor, there was hardly any sound of footsteps, just the soft rustle of their cloaks. They paused at Lady Lómiel’s doorstep, drew their swords, and entered.

~*~

Meanwhile, three other guests remained awake. They were more careful than the rest. Whatever Lord Thinroz had tried to make them believe, they knew they would not be safe here.

One of them knew evil was afoot, she could feel it in her bones. Therefore she made herself a potion of herbs she had brought with herself and drank it before going to sleep. Before she closed her eyes, she summoned the face of one of the guests to her mind and held to the image. If her potion would work as it should, she would know the alignment of the person she had chosen when she woke up in the morning.

The second one was scouring her sword. She had a bad feeling this would come down to killing people, and she did not want anyone innocent to be killed. She would protect the innocent with her sword, so it would have to look deadly enough to ward off any attacker.

The third one was sharpening her knives. She had not been allowed to take guards, so she would have to take care of herself. She hid the sharpened knives in her clothes and in her bed. If anyone dared to attack her, she would have a knife to stab him with.

~*~

In the morning, the guests were woken by the bewildered housekeeper. She tugged at their clothes and made pleading gestures with her hands. When all the guests had woken up and gathered to the corridor, the housekeeper led them downstairs.

“I wonder what’s up,” the courtier Nilpaurion wondered aloud.
“I demand to know what’s going on!” said Shasta who styled himself The King of Sea.
“Yes, that idiotic housekeeper can’t even talk,” his wife Nerwen agreed.
“I think we…” started Lady Sally, but her comment was cut out by a terrible wail.
“Lord Thinroz…” Nienna whispered.

As if by a common decision, the guests ran down the stairs. In the hall where they had been holding their council, Lady Lómiel was lying on the table. Her face looked pale and the elaborate nightgown she was wearing was all stained with blood. There was a neat cut across her throat, and her right arm was adorned by four ritual cuts. There were four long, slender swords leaning against the table, blood on the blades.

“Lommy… my daughter…” Lord Thinroz sobbed. He was standing by the table, holding his daughter’s unharmed arm. “They feared her, so they killed her.”
“They?” asked Wilwarin, the sorceress.
“The four evil ones,” Lord Thinroz replied, gesturing at the swords, and broke in tears again.
“Well, they were pretty silly to leave the swords here,” said Lady Brinniel and picked all the four blades up. “Confiscate those,” she told the housekeeper.
“And let’s move her, shall we?” asked Rune, also known as Tivo the Sorceror. He waved his hand and the body floated away from the table to a divan far at the other end of the room. Lord Thinroz followed it immediately and sat down on the floor next to the divan. He started crying again.
“Housekeeper!” shouted Lady Kath. “As soon as you are finished with the swords, see to your mistress’s burial.”
“We are busy with other stuff,” Lord Eönwë agreed.
“We need to find out who it was that killed her,” said Eomer who was known for his mysterious experiments with wolves.
“I think we can rule out Lord Thinroz himself and the housekeeper,” the scam artist named Kent said. The others agreed quickly – it seemed unlikely that those two would be involved in a conspiracy like this. But that was no comfort… that still left seventeen options.

~*~

Dead
Lommy (mod) - Lady Lómiel Starbrow, the hostess – killed on Night1

Alive
Kath
Nienna - pirate
Kent2010 - Black Númenórean scam artist
Legate of Amon Lanc - rebelling Haradian King
Nogrod - Corsair Captain "The Cat O' Nine tails of Ethir Anduin"
Shastanis Althreduin - King of the Sea
Isabellkya
wilwarin538 - sorceress
Nerwen - Queen of the Sea
Nilpaurion Felagund - fussy courtier
Rune Son of Bjarne - Tivo the Sorceror
Lhunardawen - rebelling Haradian Queen
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Groin Redbeard - Variag Warlord of Khand
satansaloser2005
Eönwë
Brinniel

Day1 has begun! Everybody, start discussing. Hunter, you may send me your first pick whenever you wish.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I can't say I'm very happy about being forced to spend time with this group. Full of self-important types who couldn't begin to impart upon me knowledge of interesting things, such as Wargs - probably only keen to discuss how large a safe they need for their gold.

I should think, if we are to be slaughtered, that we won't be a great loss.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What a distasteful deed, truly! The mere thought of this lady's murder in the house of her own poor father is verily freezing my blood. In my lands, those who have done something like that would have been punished in the most severe way.

But I think there is no need to truly execute such a punishment, when it comes to that... that's our purpose now, I guess.

To start, I know some of you from before - some of you I have met in courts of faraway places, or even on battlefields, either by my side or even against me - but there are quite many of you whom I know very little or not at all. Namely, the one pirate, that strange Black Númenorean artist and the sorceress are ones I have not seen before. Well, I guess it does not matter that much now - at least, I might have a kind of "fresh" view of you, unbiased by any previous encounters. And even with the others, actually - it has been a long time since I have traveled to meetings like this, so let us hope that I will be able to use both my experience with you and the rested mind to determine where the hidden killers are.

I guess there is not much to say for the beginning, but I am looking forward to seeing more of you speak, so then... I shall be listening to you now for some time, so hope you will speak up.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Could there be a greater mark of dishonor than killing the hostess? Perhaps maybe their next target will be a mere child!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ha, and actually somebody has already spoken up! Well, all right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I can't say I'm very happy about being forced to spend time with this group. Full of self-important types who couldn't begin to impart upon me knowledge of interesting things, such as Wargs - probably only keen to discuss how large a safe they need for their gold.

I should think, if we are to be slaughtered, that we won't be a great loss.
Certainly your way of thinking is disrespectful at least, though I guess there are more important matters at hand than taking care of the punishment for slander. Nevertheless, I am sure there are more willing to speak... then we may weigh our worthiness.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Could there be a greater mark of dishonor than killing the hostess? Perhaps maybe their next target will be a mere child!
Fortunately, there is no child among us, as far as I am aware (though perhaps one might start to ask what age are some of us).
Old 05-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I see the mere thought of death makes this Legate lose his wits and reason. Don't mention it anyone, it's too upsetting! He'll be no use if we need some steel so we should probably discount him.

Also this Shasta, for whom an evil child couldn't possibly exist.

Ah, humans...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I see the mere thought of death makes this Legate lose his wits and reason. Don't mention it anyone, it's too upsetting! He'll be no use if we need some steel so we should probably discount him.

Also this Shasta, for whom an evil child couldn't possibly exist.

Ah, humans...
*shakes head* Terrible person. Well, I have heard about those wild folks from the inland who are too close with these wild animals. They are half beasts themselves. No real manners.

But whatever. I would like to see who else is here to speak up.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
that strange Black Númenorean artist
-Legate
Let me introduce myself then. The name is Phillip and I am the wealthiest man in these parts. Give me 300 gold pieces for travel expenses and I will gladly finance your rebellion. This offer will not be on the table forever.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
Let me introduce myself then. The name is Phillip and I am the wealthiest man in these parts. Give me 300 gold pieces for travel expenses and I will gladly finance your rebellion. This offer will not be on the table forever.
Impressive, though I am far from dealing with dealing with people I hardly know. But perhaps after the time spent here we will know each other better and hopefully, then find a common talk. However, I have been able to incite a rebellion on my own and I am sure I will be able to continue it on my own if need be.

By the way, I would like us to generally at least try to say more than just a few words concerning our outside business: after all, now we are facing a situation far more imminent. Whatever important matters await us in our homes, it is irrelevant if we don't get out of here alive.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
By the way, I would like us to generally at least try to say more than just a few words concerning our outside business: after all, now we are facing a situation far more imminent. Whatever important matters await us in our homes, it is irrelevant if we don't get out of here alive.
What would you like us to say? Let's kill Legate? A bit early to be setting yourself up as community leader, methinks.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
What would you like us to say? Let's kill Legate? A bit early to be setting yourself up as community leader, methinks.
If you have nothing better to say, then yes. Even that tells the others something about you. I have nothing against discussing private business, after all, we came here also with aims to seek military and trade alliances and I believe those who have not spoken yet would perhaps like to use this opportunity to give us some recount of the happenings in their homelands or whatever. However, I believe it should not be our main concern now, at least while the threat is present. It is now a secondary matter at most.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Impressive, though I am far from dealing with dealing with people I hardly know.
-Legate
I know your name and you know mine, so now we know eachother and now is the time we can begin to deal.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hello all! Currently I am merely a drifter to these shores but upon the morrow (my morrow) I will try to make a firmer landing. Til then!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Ahoy!

Hey Ho! Tally Ho!

Now just a moment there milady Kath! We don't know who you are and what you are up to, but you just think you can get away with this just stating you're a drifter to these shores and will be willing to take part in this toMorrow? ToMorrow? Why not toDay? Someone will die toDay but it should not be you, right? Well why should we not consider you with your landlubber-excuses which are just as good as nothing?

So stop the bilge no one believes in!

The tenderfoots should swallow the anchor, I say. Or if they do not realise it themselves we should keelhaul these people - or make them walk the plank - in the first instant!

Oh, you freshwater-pirates! You deserve a good flogging! Speak up and do not hide in the masses.

You know when someone has broken a rule on board and it gets public... then the captain comes and asks "who of you were the ones culpable?". What is it he faces? A wall of silence...

Those who are able to talk themselves out will get the mercy or the second chance but those who just hide behind the backs of their fellows will be punished the most severely. I do hope people here see the decency of the practise on board as we seem to be in a similar situation. A galley can't afford a traitor and neither do we.

So anyone not wishing to stand up for her or himself for good or try to help us out in earnest should kiss the gunner's daughter before the sun sets. That's only fair.

Handsomely now, men! No quarter!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Now here's someone I can accept hanging round: Nogrod is clearly someone not constrained by the pathetic cosying of 'important' folk. Too eager is he, though, for conflict and bloodshed that he realises not that this debate has only just begun! Most people are probably still stuffing themselves with free eats at the breakfast table.

I can understand this impatience, though: there are four among us who would kill me and I'm ready to kill everyone around me to get at them first.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
My my my, what a terrible happening. The Lady's strong opposition to guards, in order to keep secrecy, has cost her her life. I pray we can stop these monsters before anymore of us pass.

This first day will definitely be difficult. Some of us our familiar with each other, but others are complete mysteries. I also know that there is quite a bit of mistrust between some due to past feuds. We should all, however, try to start freshly with one another. We have all be unwittingly thrown into a horrible situation, so we must come together and cooperate in order to survive. Once this mess is all cleaned up, hopefully with as little bloodshed as possible, we can return to pirating, fighting, spell casting and whatnot on each others lands. For now, we get along as best as possible.

So how do we decide who to kill first? Pull straws? Russian roullette? RPS?

Difficult situation indeed........I should return in an hour or so, I have some spell books that I will look threw, perhaps Tivo and I can put our powers together in some sort of revealing spell.....unless he is evil himself, no way to know I suppose....

X'posted with Nogrod and Eomer....having a difficult time understanding Nogrod's dialect, quite odd indeed....
Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
I know your name and you know mine, so now we know eachother and now is the time we can begin to deal.
A deal with whom? Aren't you a bit too eager to suggest that? The baddies would like to make friends from the very beginning, but decent goodies will be on alert and will not trust anyone; at least from the start.

So "dealing" a friendship? Looks like a baddie trying to make alliances with the goodies...

The baddies have every reason to be nice with people they think are influential in any given village. And Legate - if innocent - fits that description well enough.

Many of us would love to trust someone around. But that doesn't happen on the first hours of Day1 - and suggesting a deal on friendship (or suggesting beginning to deal with it) looks very much like a baddie trying to search for alliances rather than an innocent looking for mates... as that would take place only gradually and later in the game, if even then then, openly, I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer on "The Cat O' Nine tails of Ethir Anduin"
Too eager is he, though, for conflict and bloodshed that he realises not that this debate has only just begun! Most people are probably still stuffing themselves with free eats at the breakfast table.
Don't be too hasty there... Even the innocents may have reasons to shy away and some people sleep when others are awake. But what I was talking about was the overall participation which can only be assessed at the end of the Day...

But anyway, we should keep up the pressure for everyone not to post only once or twice with nothing to say but to actually take part. And that needs to be said in the beginning of the Day.

We know who has contributed at the end of the Day, but let's pressure people to do it already now by keeping up this mood of everyone requiring others to either speak or face the gallows...

I will vote for a "non-participant" toDay - and will call for others to do so as well - unless there is a very good case against someone else. The last game was proof enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
having a difficult time understanding Nogrod's dialect, quite odd indeed....
Begad! Shiver me timbers!

I'm a rum fellow anyway...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
And silver and precious stones. . .yes, you must not forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
What a distasteful deed, truly! The mere thought of this lady's murder in the house of her own poor father is verily freezing my blood. In my lands, those who have done something like that would have been punished in the most severe way.

But I think there is no need to truly execute such a punishment, when it comes to that... that's our purpose now, I guess.

To start, I know some of you from before - some of you I have met in courts of faraway places, or even on battlefields, either by my side or even against me - but there are quite many of you whom I know very little or not at all. Namely, the one pirate, that strange Black Númenorean artist and the sorceress are ones I have not seen before. Well, I guess it does not matter that much now - at least, I might have a kind of "fresh" view of you, unbiased by any previous encounters. And even with the others, actually - it has been a long time since I have traveled to meetings like this, so let us hope that I will be able to use both my experience with you and the rested mind to determine where the hidden killers are.
Distasteful. . .perhaps. But look how neat the cut on her throat is, absolutely magnificent, clearly done by a craftsman.

Anyways you seem optimistic about your own skills to use experience and not be baised, if only I could be as optimistic about any of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Ahoy!

Hey Ho! Tally Ho!

Now just a moment there milady Kath! We don't know who you are and what you are up to, but you just think you can get away with this just stating you're a drifter to these shores and will be willing to take part in this toMorrow? ToMorrow? Why not toDay? Someone will die toDay but it should not be you, right? Well why should we not consider you with your landlubber-excuses which are just as good as nothing?

So stop the bilge no one believes in!

The tenderfoots should swallow the anchor, I say. Or if they do not realise it themselves we should keelhaul these people - or make them walk the plank - in the first instant!

Oh, you freshwater-pirates! You deserve a good flogging! Speak up and do not hide in the masses.

You know when someone has broken a rule on board and it gets public... then the captain comes and asks "who of you were the ones culpable?". What is it he faces? A wall of silence...

Those who are able to talk themselves out will get the mercy or the second chance but those who just hide behind the backs of their fellows will be punished the most severely. I do hope people here see the decency of the practise on board as we seem to be in a similar situation. A galley can't afford a traitor and neither do we.

So anyone not wishing to stand up for her or himself for good or try to help us out in earnest should kiss the gunner's daughter before the sun sets. That's only fair.

Handsomely now, men! No quarter!
The New Improved Nogrod: Same old tune, now with pirate sound!

EDIT: Cross posted with Nogrod

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 05-02-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: cross posting
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
AI will vote for a "non-participant" toDay - and will call for others to do so as well - unless there is a very good case against someone else. The last game was proof enough...
Ha, oh how I was missing that!

All right, well, to state plainly what is on my mind. It seems that some discussion is already starting to roll, which is good. I will be probably going to leave now, but I will be back later (after some rest) and then, there should be, I guess, already a few more people who spoke up by then, so I can start to make a picture: and I may post some of my first impressions in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Anyways you seem optimistic about your own skills to use experience and not be baised, if only I could be as optimistic about any of us.
Ah yes, actually I am optimistic, really. Well, or at least in a rather optimistic mood, despite the disgusting abovementioned deed that took place here. My mind still feels rather clear and light, possibly because it is after a really long time that I have to rack my brain with situation like this. Well, it would be nice if it stayed even into the further Days. (In case it is positive, of course. I have not yet tested what is its actual practical outcome )
Old 05-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #24
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Ahoy!

I'm merely stopping in to say that I am here for a little bit. I will be back later when hopefully more discussions have taken place. I have no real inclinations so far as it is Day one.

I'm off to swab the deck and will be back in a while.

Gar.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Those who are going to get my vote if their status is as it is now in the end of this Day1. No problem if you make your mark later and just haven't been able to post at this point of the Day. It's not time-zone related but a general principle: before the Day ends everyone needs to take part. If not, you're my first choice.

Nienna
Isabellkya
Nerwen
Nilpaurion Felagund
Lhunardawen
Groin Redbeard
satansaloser2005
Eönwë
Brinniel

Because of the way they have posted I'm a bit worried about (subject to change if / when they post more):

Kath
Shastanis Althreduin
wilwarin538
Rune Son of Bjarne

For different reasons I suspect:

Kent2010
Eomer of the Rohirrim

I'm about to think innocent so far:

Legate of Amon Lanc

Hopefully you give me reasons to change and upgrade my list before the Day is over.

As I said, I will promote lynching the "submarines" first. But if everyone is actually playing, then I will move to the actual suspicions... unless there is a really good case against someone which would overrule any blind vote for the "under the Reindeer" -people.

Off to sleep now. See you later toDay.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #26
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

So: Nogrod's suspicious of those who have posted (apparently because they have posted), and will probably vote for any one of those who have not yet posted (because they've not posted).

Oh, apart from Legate, his fellow loquacious ringleader.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
rant rant rant

Hey Nogrod, you might as well say nothing at all. Your contribution so far has only offered a little more than those completely silent, you say the same things as you always do on day one. . .since you say the same all the time it is difficult to judge you by it. So basicly what you are doing is hiding in plain sight.

If you keep this up I will have to vote for you today and if you say something completely unpredictable, then it is clearly a change of tactics from a bad guy. . .so either way I will have to vote for you.

Notice: The last part was obviously in jest.

Anyways I shall leave you shall see you tomorrow
(If you insist on using "tomorrow" and "today" in connection with the games night and day face then you should be in game all the time when posting and not speak about "the game", because then we go meta and that is just silly)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Ahoy!

I'm merely stopping in to say that I am here for a little bit. I will be back later when hopefully more discussions have taken place. I have no real inclinations so far as it is Day one.
Now just think if everyone was like you.

"I'm merely saying I'm here... I'll be back when there has been some discussion".

Now who do you think should have made the discussion if people were like you? Some others, right? But not you.

So you think you can be a parasite who only watches "some others" to discuss it so that you can vote one of the discussers.

Why don't you start the discussion - or take part in it? How about everyone behaved like you?

There would be nothing to say.

But then it seems that people lynch one of those who have actually tried to make a difference. And that's understandable as if someone just pops in to say that s/he has nothing to say, it's a hard time to come up with a reason to vote that one person from among many who has said nothing - but it is easy to vote for someone who has actually made some points (as you can disagree with points while you can't disagree with "hi there, let's get the baddies").

So why should we think that you - as you have decided to just hang around - should live after Day1 and those who actually play this game and make your "hanging around" possible in the first place (you can't hang around unless there is something to hang around to) should be the ones from whom we decide who to lynch?

This needs to change.

This really needs to change.

EDIT: X'd with Eomer and Rune
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

While Nogrod is undoubtedly a zealot, his principles are not obviously faulty, even if they do lead him to strange conclusions. Par for the course for zealots, I suppose.

It strikes me as not at all surprising, though, that such 'great' and 'notable' persons will hide when the big decisions have to be made. I don't know what our hostess was playing at. Not only has she, without doubt, led many of us to our graves; she has also provided us with miserably mismatched fellowship in the graveyard.

Humbug to her.

I will likely vote for someone who is deliberately subverting others to his cause: the need to make friends is senseless in itself, and can only point to a darker motive.

'Til later.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Hey Nogrod, you might as well say nothing at all. Your contribution so far has only offered a little more than those completely silent, you say the same things as you always do on day one. . .since you say the same all the time it is difficult to judge you by it. So basicly what you are doing is hiding in plain sight.

If you keep this up I will have to vote for you today
Interesting you don't feel the need to say the same about Wilwa (never says anything on Day1), Kath (always excuses herself from Day1) or anyone else being like they are in most of the games they're in...

So are you a wolf who thinks I would be a nice trophy-lynch on Day1? Yes, I have posted some actual suspicions and possibly irritated some people by suspecting them. I may be wrong with some of them, maybe with many of them.

But retaliation is seldom a way to win this game - for the goodies.

To win the game we need to suspect and suspect and to suspect. Some of those people we suspect are able to turn around our suspicions and make us feel more comfortable with them, creating trust; and on the best occasions we catch some with their pants on their knees...

But it takes suspicions to get there.

The wolves rub you nicely. Remember that.

But you're right in one thing: I should try once saying nothing at all. Maybe all of the people who actually "say something" should hold their tongues in one game just to prove the point what a game without "talkers" would be. You could just roll dices for your sorry fun...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
While Nogrod is undoubtedly a zealot, his principles are not obviously faulty
Oh your wisdom...
*bows in awe*

Love you Eomer, you're assesment is not obviously faulty...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #32
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Have we got a bilge rat of a Nogrod picking fights and causing dissension? I'll have you keelhauled, just you wait, if you keep this up.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #33
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Have we got a bilge rat of a Nogrod picking fights and causing dissension? I'll have you keelhauled, just you wait, if you keep this up.
Aye, Husband, the "Cat O' Nine Tails" has been and drowned his wits again. He's in the horrors now– wolves, he says! And did you see my name on his list? And yours? Keelhauling is too good for him!

But this Tivo is a landlubber, and a sorcerer into the bargain– it's not likely I'd trust such a one as he, neither.

Tell you what, why don't we just let 'em duel for a while? I could do with a laugh, I could. 'Tis such a pity about the poor wench. Ah, she'd have made a fine pirate, that she would!

EDIT: bolding.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #34
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
That Eomer guy is amusing. We should probably keep him alive.

Noisy and abrasive. Typical Nogrod. As I remember him, anyway. Not much reason to be worried about him now, but obviously bears watching.

But this Legate guy rubs me the wrong way. Feels subtly manipulative under the mask of leadership. Not to mention it feels like he's trying to win people over to his side.

Oh, right, he's my husband.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #35
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It seems most often, the Day fighters end up on the innocent side. Though such quarreling a few hours into day break... is a bit of a running start on it, eh?
Our chances of finding a Ringwraith toDay are on the slim side, I'd say.
Since most often, people are their normal selves for this Day. Suspecting people for being predictable first Day selves, is a bit silly. Unless of course, they clearly have predictable behavior changes in terms of which side they are upon.

X'd with Lhuna.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #36
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eomer's being rather snobbish; I thought that was Nilpie's role.

Kath's being quiet, so is Nienna. No change there. Same for Wilwa.

Cap'n Nog's being a bit of a brute, and I'm not sure I like it. Is he still paranoid from his last voyage or does he have darker motives for being so accusatory?

Rune has picked up on this behavior, and for now I think he'll be allowed to stay, if only because he's very astute and I think he can bring order to this mess.

Nilpie hasn't shown up, but I'm assured he's innocent. He couldn't possibly be otherwise, the sweet thing. Together we'll make this little band of miscreants a bit more ship shape, if you'll excuse the pun. Then again, you'll probably not even get it, so why bother to explain? *sighs, fans herself* I think these proceedings are a bit much for my delicate constitution. Hopefully Nilp will bring me a drink when he returns. He's always so considerate. And did I mention innocent?

Shasta and Nerwen are dirty, thieving pirates. It wouldn't surprise me if they're murderers as well.

The rest is silence....

EDIT: x'd with Lhuna and Izzy

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 05-02-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: blasted bolding
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #37
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Quote:
Now just think if everyone was like you.
...the world would be a much safer place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Now who do you think should have made the discussion if people were like you? Some others, right? But not you.
I did not say that I would not make a discussion but that I could not make a discussion at the time. I had plans that I was off to complete but thought I should post first just to let people know that I was around and playing. I figured that that was a function first post but I guess that I was wrong. I did not have anything substantial to say so I didn't pretend that I did just to seem to make a discussion. It seems that on Day One many people post a lot of stuff without really saying anything. I was trying to avoid doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So why should we think that you - as you have decided to just hang around - should live after Day1 and those who actually play this game and make your "hanging around" possible in the first place (you can't hang around unless there is something to hang around to) should be the ones from whom we decide who to lynch?
My goal in this game is not to just hang around. I really do want to make a difference. I was just hanging around before because there was nothing else to do. If I really thought that I had something substantial to contribute I wouldn't hold back just because I thought it was funny. I would post to let people know what I think.

Right now I think that I'm being a bit defensive and I'm sorry. I do not want to seem like I'm not contributing and I don't want to be lynched just because I'm not saying lots of nothing. I'm perfectly capable of saying a lot without really saying anything (I am a college student after all) but I thought that that would be a waste of everyone's time.

Anyway... I am in dreadful need of sleep but I will be around for at least a part of the end of the day. It is my Sunday and I need to catch up on school work but I will do my best.

Edit: x-ed with Sally
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #38
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Nogrod should probably just vote me now because I can promise that toDay my participation will be to a minimum...

I never have much to say on Day 1, and when I do it's usually at the very end of the Day. Which isn't very helpful since I won't be around in the last few hours; I won't even be around for the last 12 hours. My apologies, but RL is keeping me busy. Anyway, that means it's gonna be a random vote from me toDay. I don't know how I can possibly feel one way or another towards someone so early into the first Day. My first impressions are always off...

I'll lurk around for another hour or so and see if I can get any sort of hunches that could lead to a vote aside from randomness, but then it's off to bed. I would save my vote for morning...but I must be up early and can't be late like I usually am when I play WW.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #39
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Aand no one's posted. Typical.

I won't vote Lhuna or Groin since they haven't played in awhile.

I won't vote Nogrod because I feel bad I keep killing him and I won't vote Legate because he seems to die in the first Days and Nights a lot lately and I won't vote Nienna because she got axed Day 1 last game.

Everyone else shall be victim to my randomness. Crap, I really hate doing this but I suppose it's better than no vote at all. Either way someone's gonna hate me for it.

Hmmm....

++Sally

Meh, she won't mind too much (err...or at least I hope not).

Yeah, I'm sure now if I don't get lynched, I'll probably be eaten as a no trail kill. Serves me right. While I can't promise tons of posts during this game, I'll certainly do everything I can to do better than toDay should I survive.

Anyway, I can't hold off any longer; I'm only getting 4 1/2 hours of sleep as it is. I might be able to pop in briefly once I wake, but I can't be sure.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #40
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oy. *pokes Nog* I said my morrow not the game's morrow. Keep your hair on and keep an eye out for capitalisation! For once I've actually worked out when Day 1 is and have appeared well in time for it, give me some credit. I will be around toDay though nearer the deadline than now ... although if someone could mention when the deadline is for BST that would be much appreciated!