The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dűm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye PJ's Sauron

What did you think about how PJ showed Sauron go?

[thread titles should have some indication of subject - note that the line for it is labelled that]

Last edited by Legolas; 03-10-2004 at 12:58 PM.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Lindalirien O Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Lindalirien O Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
In my opion it seemed somewhat "comical" in a sense. I could hear the Eye saying "NO!!! I HAVE BEEN VANQUISHED NOOOOO!!!" in my head I really didn't like it that much. I also didn't like how the Eye looked at all in the third movie, it looked totally different in the first two movies, but that's just my opinion...
Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I went and saw RotK for the forth time last night and just now noticed how much the Eye looks like a giant spotlight or lighthouse. It seemed to be scanning the land in a giant circle.
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
It was okay, but I did miss seeing the "black shape" rise into the air over the battlefield and then blow away into nothingness.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
I kind of didn't like the Lighthouse approach. It's like, first it's only an eye, then suddenly it's capable of shining light? How strange is that? I did also wish that the wraith-like cloud would have emitted from the dark tower to blow away, but no go. Besides frantically looking around, there wasn't a lot to indicate Sauron's end. Strange, since the whole title is about him, and the whole plot centers around defeating him.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I thought it turned out good... But just good. It could have been better. But I do have to give the filmmakers credit because it was one of the most difficult scenes (in my opinion) to translate into visuals. It is a very descriptive scene, with a lot going on, so I can understand why they went the way they did. But I did find the whole eye moving around franticly after the destruction of the ring quite amusing
Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
I didn't think it was particularly spectactular, but good enough...at least, I didn't notice anything wrong with it. As for it looking different...that's nothing to the transformation Gollum made from in the mines of Moria to how he was in TTT and ROTK...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
It looked sort of like it was trying desperately to hang on, and that just didn't work very well. He was a great big Eye, for heaven's sake! It all looked a little too cheesy for my liking. I always sort of pictured the Eye of Sauron as more of a figure of speech than an actual literal eye...
Old 03-11-2004, 04:10 AM   #9
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Look everyone, I've read dozens of posts about this lighthouse eye since the film's come out.

Live with it!

Just imagine if we had Sauron v Aragorn (which WAS filmed I've been informed) at the end of the film, EVERYTHING else 'wrong' with Sauron would have been forgotten.

Just be thankful, that like Arwen at Helm's Deep, Jackson was swayed by public opinion and re shot the scene (obviously the big nasty troll replaced Sauron at the Black Gate)

How else could Jackson show Sauron hunting for the Ring other than having a light beam show where he was looking? I think it explains quite well the line from ROTK where Sam puts on the Ring
Quote:
Immediately he felt the great burden of its weight, and felt afresh, but now more strong and urgent than ever, the malice of the Eye of Mordor, searching, trying to pierce the shadows that it had made for its own defence, but which now hindered it in its unquiet and doubt.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
They could have shown it in a way where Sauron was not a giant flaming eyeball.

However, I did like Sauron's physical form at the battle at Mount Doom (you know, the physical form he couldn't take after he lost the Ring *groan* )

That was good and frightening.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Lindalirien O Lorien
Pile O'Bones

I agree with you Eomer,
I loved Sauron in the prolouge. For after, when the ring was found again, I think it would have been cool to NOT show what Sauron looked, you know like Tolkien did, not really mentioning Sauron's appearence. Then again, it might have been hard to do and I did like it when the eye would flash on screen when Gandalf bent down to touch the ring and when he covered the Palantíri.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #12
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
I thought the Eye was effective in the way that it made the audience realize how dangerous it was for Frodo and Sam to be scuttling about in Mordor, trying to reach Mt. Doom. I mean, they could have been caught at any moment! I think the way the Eye was portrayed emphasized that quite nicely.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Actually did anyone else find that when the Eye was turning, it looked like it did see Frodo before he fell over?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #14
Lindalirien O Lorien
Pile O'Bones

I did, why?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:29 PM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I actually didn't mind the way they portrayed Sauron... could have been worse. Can you imagine if they carried the whole lighthouse thing and then when the Ring was destoryed, the Eye started to flicker and then go out like a lightbulb? That would have been infinately humourous.

Quote:
(you know, the physical form he couldn't take after he lost the Ring *groan* )
Actually........... if you will please remember Gandalf at the Council of Elrond (straight from the book, page 281 in my edition):

Quote:
Some here will remember that many years ago I myself dared to pass the doors of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur, and secretly explored his ways, and found thus that our fears were true: he was none other than Sauron, our Enemy of old, at length taking shape and power again .
Unless Gandalf means the shape of a giant floating eye, than most people are mistaken when they think Sauron was formless.

Fea
Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Sauron

Well, first off, you can find my opinion & losts of other people's too at this thread. But I guess I'll re-state mind here anyway (briefly ):

I thought that Sauron being symbolized as an eye ontop of Mordor was a little iffy, but I could work with it. I thought that their original idea of Sauron fighting Aragorn in front of the Black Gate was totally lame, fortunatly, they decided against introducing that. I was very disappointed in RotK's portrayl of Sauron, because they:
a. Limited Sauron's vision to this little beam of light.
-and-
b. Completely destroyed what they said earlier about how Sauron's gaze could pierce earth, cloud, shadow, & flesh. Kinda makes you wonder why Sauron couldn't see the hobbits, then, who hid behind flimsy rocks & elven cloaks that, althought they were powerful, could never have stood up to Sauron's gaze. Much less a highly concentrated gazy sight beam . Please. It was pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

Quote:
Unless Gandalf means the shape of a giant floating eye, than most people are mistaken when they think Sauron was formless.
I believe that Gandalf means that he wasn't just a spirit, but wasn't quite a physical form, who knows? The main thing is that PJ changed it to he 'could not yet take physical form, so that's what the movie Sauron is judged by...the movie version of Sauron.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Feanor, the *groan* that I inserted into my post was supposed to indicate my exasperation at the film's mistake, which has contributed greatly to many book fans being confused about Sauron's physical form.

But I guess irony doesn't travel well in cyberspace. Maybe I should have put one of these;

Trust me. I know that Sauron had physical form.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:07 PM   #18
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye Eyeball!

I thought the way they did Sauron was quite good, but I had to laugh at the end of RotK. He just became quivery and twitched around. It would have been better if PJ had put in the cloud-shadow-hand thing, because the way it turned out was like:

"Oh, pizzle, I'm going to the Void."

It was just humorus, not impressive, like the book is.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Ah, Eomer, allow me to apologize. I've had my own bit of trouble with the transferring of sarcasm and irony to the web... It usually doesnt work. Still though... I really did kind of like the giant eyeball thing. Since there is no description anywhere of Sauron's physical form in the 3rd Age, yet there is a very detailed one of his eye-shape, it did make sense to just use that.

Fea
Old 03-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #20
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Actually, I was wondering why Sauron the Spotlight did not seem to respond to seeing Frodo in Mordor...yes, I did see his "light" shine upon him.

I really hated the spotlight idea, but I agree that it was probably to give emphasis to the fact that he swayed his attention from Frodo and Sam to the army mustering at his gate.

The White Lady of Lindon
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:32 AM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Apology accepted Feanor.

Even if I do take the opposite view from you, that Jackson's Sauron was poor.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Let me clarify: I like the eyeball spotlight thing because of how else it could have been. Just think of all the other ways PJ could have portrayed Sauron... I won't even go into detail, but think along the lines of a really big ringwraith with a very deep voice and sparkly powers.

Personally, I never thought of the Eye as being a tangible thing... I always saw it as his "inner eye", so to speak. Sauron's power, in concentrated form. His spiritual side more than anything... so when I first saw an actual firey eye floating above Mordor... Needless to say I was shocked. But after I got used to it, it started to make a bit of sense. Of course... We , as dedicated Tolkienites (ie: obsessive addicts) could have done a better job...

Fea
Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #23
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dűm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
I'll have to agree with Feanor on this one. I like the eye, rather than the cloud that looked like sauron or something like that in the books. (I can't seem to remeber exactly what happened in the books...) But I thought it would have been better if the eye wasn't squirming around like it was, for all of the first two movies it never moved, and all of a sudden it's jumping about.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #24
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
I found Sauron's ending in the movie to be unfortunate at best and ridiculous at worst. Not only did the shifty imploding eye look strange and almost laughable, but it was also deceptive to moviegoers not familiar with Tolkien's works. Why couldn't PJ just have had Sauron in physical form for his demise, or at least stick with the text in "Mount Doom" by having the ghastly shadow of Sauron rise up and be swept away by the wind?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #25
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Actually, I was wondering why Sauron the Spotlight did not seem
to respond to seeing Frodo in Mordor...yes, I did see his "light"
shine upon him.

That is something that reallly bugged me. I liked the idea of "the eye" until ROTK came around and they added a spotlight to it. I nearly started to laugh when I saw it for the first time. I get that it was supposed to be "all seeing" but the spotlight was a bit much for me. Also, you'd think that the eye of Sauron would have reacted to seeing Frodo, yeah so he didn't know WHY he was in Mordor but all the same you'd think he might assume as much.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:21 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Also, you'd think that the eye of Sauron would have reacted to seeing Frodo, yeah so he didn't know WHY he was in Mordor but all the same you'd think he might assume as much.
Even if he didn't guess why the hobbit was in Mordor, he wouldn't have just let him be.
The lightbeam was ridiculous, but Sauron not acting on seeing Frodo was much worse. O wait, I forgot, Frodo eluded the eye by falling to the ground & blending in with the rocks .

(not to mention the fact that, even if Sauron would've somehow not seen him at first, that drunken dance he does before losing his balance would draw attention to him faster than you can say 'stupid')
Old 05-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #27
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I actually really liked to the Eye in the first two movies and very much enjoyed how they made Sauron in the Prologue, but in ROTK I found the twitchy lighthouse to be ridiculous, and stupid.

I laughed when the tower fell over and the pupil was dilating and constricting in a very laughable way, like *oh crap oh crap I'm falling and theres nothing I can do!* And I really think that when the tower was destroyed that I shoudn't have found it comical. And the beam of light what the heck was that all about?

I believe that having Sauron appear as a black cloud type figure then being swept away by the wind would have worked very well in the movie version. Who knows I might have even found the twitchyness to be tolerable, (except when the tower falls over, something else should have happened like the eye just disappearing or going up in a spiral of flame than doing the black cloud thing) if it wasn't for Sauron The Lighthouse.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #28
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
In the first movie: Great! I loved it.

In the second movie: He's not just an eye! Gollum talks about him having fingers. Last time I checked, eyes don't have fingers. Anyway, how's he gonna use the ring with no fingers. I suppose that, since his eye was more of a pointy oval (instead of a circle~it's called an eyeball for a reason, folks!), he could get it over an end...

In the third movie: Okay, this is just PATHETIC! What happened to peripheral vision, anyway? It doesn't look like he has any.

That's my view. The flashes used in the first movie were awesome. I jump everytime. I realize that it would have been implausible to continue that into the second and third movie, but being a giant eyeball (or should I say eye-football?) really has no tactical advantage except being able to see better. It would have worked better if they said that it was part of Sauron (or something to that extent) and cut out the lighthouse act.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:44 PM   #29
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

i think it was well-done...the spotlight was merely to show how he got distracted...i think he did see frodo but he didnt guess his purpose and was merely pulled away before being able to think about it...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
i think it was well-done...the spotlight was merely to show how he got distracted
If that part of your quote was serious, here's my response to it :

It showed how he got distracted, but it also was foolish. Sauron is all-seeing (nearly), & wouldn't have his sight concentrated in a beam like that for any reason. If they wanted to show that he was distracted, they could've just shown his eye swiveling towards the Gate. Just leave out the beam though.

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 06-05-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #31
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The eye of Sauron was actually quite a disappointment in the film, especially in the third. I loved the way he was portrayed in FotR but in RotK PJ seemed to have just stopped caring about making it look at all realistic. It was weird that it stopped on Frodo for that long and yet apparently did not see him, also if he is all powerful (though i could be making that bit up) he wouldn't need to skim his eye over his entire land as he would know what was happening in it anyway!
Anyway, apologies for the complaining.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #32
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Barad-dur

I found it sort of comical too, especially with the hole "spotlight" thingy, jeez with that they might as well of put in sirens. "weewoo weewoo weewoo, hobbit spotted, hobbit spotted." But as for the destruction yes the eye, I can picture "ahh i've fallen and can't get up." I thought the destruction was done well despite the few laughs I had on it, and the whole ground falling apart except around the warriors of the west was kind of cheezy.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #33
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
If that part of your quote was serious, here's my response to it :

It showed how he got distracted, but it also was foolish. Sauron is all-seeing (nearly), & wouldn't have his sight concentrated in a beam like that for any reason. If they wanted to show that he was distracted, they could've just shown his eye swiveling towards the Gate. Just leave out the beam though, for gosh sake!
just because he is all seeing doesnt mean he sees everything at every second he was merelyy concentrating on one thing plus americans would have been to dumb to relize what was going on it the eye merely moved it was to build tention
Old 06-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
just because he is all seeing doesnt mean he sees everything at every second he was merelyy concentrating on one thing
Eh, really it's not worth taking over a thread just to argue between the two of us on a point, but here's my take on what you said anyway :

Of course he can't see everything all the time. If he could, he would've caught Frodo long ago. But he doesn't have a concentrated light beam that he points at people/places when he's thinking really hard. If he's concentrating on the orc army, than he could easily concentrate on the entire army, not 10 or 15 different ones every few seconds. Having his eye turned to Frodo/Sam, then swivel around to the Gate would work very well if the Director pulled it off correctly (which I'm sure he could/can). Anyways, if you really want to discuss it anymore, you can always PM me :/.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 AM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ok Morsul the Dark I agree with what you said about building up tension and all but you can't say "americans would have been to dumb to relize what was going on it the eye merely moved"! Thats just cruel, especially since I'm sure there are many clever americans some of which visit this site.
But anyway I just reread this thread and somewhere there was a bit about a battle between Sauron and Aragorn. Is this actually true?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:43 AM   #36
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

first of all im american, and secondly if you knew the people i know youd understand i can justify that statement and i should have worded it differently that newbies would been confused for those of us who read the book we wouldve undewrstood what was going on newbies proably would have been confused then again legalos makes it quite clear with his "a diversion?" line i wasnt trying to be cruel.

Aragorn faces the Mouth of Sauron not Sauron himself if it were just sauron sauron wouldn't be a giant eye anymore.

Also I think PJ made the eye physical because in the book it works as just a figure of speech however in a movie you need to actually see a representation of what your up against otherwise it has no worth.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #37
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
But anyway I just reread this thread and somewhere there was a bit about a battle between Sauron and Aragorn. Is this actually true?
Like Morsul the Dark said, Aragorn will end up fighting the Mouth of Sauron in the EE. As rumour had it, PJ & co. were contemplating a fight between Aragorn & Sauron in RotK, but fortunately left it out. Perhaps that was only confused with Aragorn vs. The Mouth of Sauron, but either way, we're fortunate not to have had an Aragorn vs. Sauron matchup!
Old 06-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #38
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I wonder how they would have pulled off an Aragorn v Sauron fight as well as showing the Eye during the destruction of the Ring.

Newbies would be all - "So there's TWO Sauron's! One of them's an eye and one's a monster!"

I wonder. Maybe that's why they left it out, rather than because of the uproar on fan websites that has been suggested as an explanation for leaving out the fight.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #39
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
LOLING it up over here

Eomer and The Only Real Estel,
you two are cracking me up I couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-08-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:51 AM   #40
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Well, we know that Peter Jackson said that, in the movie, we should really see Sauron fight, because he compared it with Star Wars and asked if we could imagine not seeing Darth Vader? (Of course, the situations are completely different but nevermind, big baddie, MUST SEE! )

This makes me think that he really, really wanted to go through with it (as opposed to the Arwen-at-Helm's-Deep fantasy, which I don't think he was too bothered about). Apparently it was fan uproar that stopped the Arwen thing, and maybe fan uproar has been given as a cause of stopping the 'Gorn-Sauron thing.

But it may just be that Jackson was all set to fine-tune the fight scene (because we know they filmed it), when he suddenly thought "Hold on, we need the eye up there! On top of the tower! Cancel the fight."