The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Most intense line in TTT

Since we have a thread concerning the most intense line in the FOTR I thought it apt to create a thread relating to the same thing for TTT.<P>For myself there are not as many good lines in TTT as in the previous film. I think this is partly because there is less screen time given to characters who had the good lines in the FOTR (Gandalf and Boromir in particular and the latter for obvious reasons)<P>My favourite lines in TTT revolve around the character of Theoden. I loved his whole speech in front of his son’s tomb. And likewise his rendition of the “Where is the horn that is blowing” poem, although that was done even better in the film’s trailer intercut with the drumming of the Uruk’s spears.<BR>And I also love the moment Theoden draws his sword again. The only ‘line’ may be the music but it is no less powerful for it.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're right, the screenwriters strayed too far from Tolkien's words for there to be any really powerful lines, but there were a few.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's me, Mr. Frodo. Don't you know me? Don't you know your Sam? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That one got me. <P>Also Sam's whole speech about stories at the end was pretty good. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then I will die as one of them! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>from Aragorn at Helms Deep wasn't too bad though it would never have come up in the book. Legolas would never have been despairing enough to prompt it. I also liked Theoden's "Where is the horse and the rider" poem. I wanted more of it.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There were indeed less powerfull lines in the second movie, compared to the first, but still, some that I really like:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Look for your friends, but do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I like the character of Eomer very much. This particular line is maybe not that powerfull or special, but I like the way Urban brings it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh, but you are alone. Who knows what you've spoken to the darkness, in the bitter watches of the night, When all your life seems to shrink. The walls of your bower closing in about you. A hushed, tremmelsome, wild thing. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>No parent should have to bury their child. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>One of the most moving moments in the film. Bernard Hill is a great Theoden King.<P><BR>Oh, almost forgot...<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> So it begins. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Great moment in the film, and I have to admit that I tend to use these words myself in all kind of circumstances... <p>[ 1:42 PM December 10, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]
Old 12-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

for me, most of it revolved around Theoden too:<P>"so it begins" and <P>"who am i, Gamling?" get me every time.<P>also, i really like Karl Urban's portrayl of Eomer and even if Brad Dourif looks totally wrong, he acts wormtongue fantastically. i lvoed the bit where he cried at the troops.<P>oh i almost forgot Saruman. fantastic man. i love the part in the extended version about the ring of Barahir and especially:<P>"Gandalf the White? Gandalf the Fool!"
Old 12-10-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I pretty much just agree with most of you. Gollum had some very well delivered lines, too, but mostly of the comic variety. That said, though, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wraiths! Wraiths on wings! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> was good, but could have been slightly better. The overall feel of that scene was very scary.<P>Bernard Hill and Karl Urban were both stand-outs. It baffles me why Bloomie has so many fangirls and Éomer so few. Maybe I just don't understand 14 year old girls. Oh, well. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Trust not to hope. It has forsaken these lands. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>is without a doubt in my mind the most well-delivered line in the movie, even better than it read in the book. I absolutely agree that most of the great dialogue was either left out or toned down. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No parent should have to bury their child. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>was a welcome addition, but I think that Gandalf prattling on in Rohirric was a bit unnecessary. I bet there'll be some doozies in ROTK, though. I can say from firsthand experience that Aragorn's stirring pre-battle speech will make you want to stand up, grab your sword and charge those filthy Orcs!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I can't remember the exact quote, but it was the only time in the theatrical version that I like Faramir: "I think we understand each other now, Frodo Baggins." and then later "Then it is forfeit."<P>Those were well done, can someone correct me if I misquoted?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The most intense line to me was from Gandalf in the stables as he prepared to ride off in search of Eomer:<P>"I have lived amoung men for 100 generations, and now I have no more time."<P>Subtle and yet hints at his desperation on the futility of the situation, and yet remains somewhat hopeful.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think TTT held more intense lines that FOTR did. I loved: <P>- "Then it is foreit"<P>- "No parent should have to bury their child"<P>- "Trust not to hope. It has forsaken these lands."<P>- "Then I will die as one of them."<P>- "What are we holdin' on to Sam?"<P>- "She could do it"<P>That last one always gives me the chills!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So it begins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Probably has my vote.<P>I also liked Theoden & Aragorn's disagreement at Helm's Deep...<P>& as much as I disliked the movie Faramir, I have to say that 'Then it is forfeit' is up there as well.<p>[ 10:06 PM December 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

"There's some <I>good</I> in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth <I>fighting</I> for."<P>And the "Where is the horse and the rider?" sequence is incredible.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #11
the ninth spelunker

Sting

I also liked the "Where is the horse and the rider?" sequence and Gollum's "We could let her do it" line because of the expresion he had on his face after he said that. And the entire potato/rabbit scene
Old 12-11-2003, 04:34 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No parent should have to bury their child. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The sun is rising. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And there are some lines in the Ext. Edition that I cannot remember.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:37 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"The last march of the Ents." - Treebeard.<P>I wasn't going to let this thread go any further without a mention of Treebeard!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #14
Failivrin
Wight

Sting

i love love LOVE Faramir's monolgue in the EV about the dead Easterling. you know 'you wonder if he was really evil at heart, if he had a wife, or children'.<P>i like Faramir a lot more in the EV. i also like Boromir's speech at Osgiliath quite a lot.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:13 PM   #15
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought personally that <I>The Two Towers</I> had many more particularly powerful lines than did the <I>The Fellowship of the Ring</I>.<P>Some of my favorites, in chronological order, were:<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"How long is it since Saruman bought you?"--Eomer<LI>"Your words are poison."--Eowyn<LI>"This is a good blade, Haleth son of Hama. There is always hope."--Aragorn<LI>"Then I shall die as one of them!"--Aragorn<LI>"Release the River!"--Treebeard<LI>Just about everything Sam says after they meet Faramir.</UL><P>There are many more which moved me, particularly with regards to Theoden at Helm's Deep, and Treebeard on the Last March of the Ents, but I did not want to list ones that have already been mentioned several times in this thread.<P>Cheers,<BR>Angmar
Old 12-11-2003, 05:00 PM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"But you, my daughter..." <BR><LI>"It was a gift. ...Keep it."<BR><LI>"You said this keep will never fall while men defend it. They still defend it! They have died defending it!"<BR><LI>"Ride out and meet them." "Yes! For death and glory!" "For Rohan. For your people."<BR><LI>"What are you, his bodyguard?" "His gardener."<BR><LI>"All our hopes now rest on two little hobbits somewhere in the wilderness."<P></UL><p>[ 6:05 PM December 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 12-13-2003, 01:44 AM   #17
Ampersand

Sting

I loved Treebeard's speech when he saw all the trees cut down at Isengard. Don't ask why, but I liked it...
Old 12-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #18
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favorite line is Gandalf's, 'I come back to you now, at the turn of the tides'. Not sure if it's intense, but it strikes a chord somewhere. <P>Boromir's speech in Osgiliath is wonderful. 'For Gondor!'<P>Theoden has a lot of intense lines. 'No parent should have to bury their child', is an especially good one. And of course, 'where is the horse and the rider?' was great, so moving. <P>And Saruman bellowing to his Uruk-Hai 'a new power is rising!' is *very* powerful and intense.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #19
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Tolkien

Treebeard- Have you seen any Entwives in your Shire?<BR>Merry- No I can't say I have you Pip?<BR>Pippin- What do they look like?<BR>Treebeard- I don't remember...<BR>(Extended TTT)<P>Eowyn- Your friends fight beside you.... because they love you ......I'm sorry.<BR>(Extended TTT)<P>Sam- Do you think we'll ever be put into story books or tails?<BR>Frodo- What?<BR>Sam-They'll say "I want to here the story about the Frodo and the Ring," they'll say "Yes that's on of my favorite stories, Frodo was very brave he was."<BR>Frodo- Your leaving out one of the chief characters, Samwise the Brave, I want to here more about Sam. Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam.<BR>(and the rest but that's what I love)
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #20
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Sam: By rights we shouldn't even be here! But we are. Remember those old stories, Mr. Frodo? Full of darkness and danger they were. Folk in those stories had lots of chances for turning back, only they didn't. They were holding onto something.<P>Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?<P>Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!<P>___________________________________________ _<P><BR>Aragorn: Ride out with me.<P>Theoden: For death and glory.<P>Aragorn: For Rohan. For your people.<P>________________________________________ ____<P>Gandalf: Theoden King stands alone.<P>Eomer: Not alone. ROHIRRIM!!!! TO THE KING!!!!!!!!<P>___________________________________ _________<P><BR>(I nearly wept during those scenes in the movie. Those lines were absolutely perfect, and just touched my heart, and I'm sure the hearts of others.)
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #21
Failivrin
Wight

Sting

oh gosh i forgot!<P>"now for wrath! now for ruin, AND A RED DAWN!"
Old 12-13-2003, 04:42 PM   #22
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now for wrath! Now for ruin, and a red dawn!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I had forgotten about that one too. That is certainly one of the more dramatic lines.<P>From what I have seen so far, <I>The Return of the King</I> will be upping the ante on dramatic lines and dramatic speeches.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #23
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> From what I have seen so far, The Return of the King will be upping the ante on dramatic lines and dramatic speeches.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That seems to definately be the case, and I am looking forward to it. Some of my favorites are:<P><LI>Faramir's speech about the fallen Easterling, straight out of the book.<LI>Boromir's speech in Osgiliath, really that entire scene.<LI>Like Lord of Angmar said, just about everything Sam says after they meet Faramir.<LI>Most of the other quotes on this thread, especially "Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red dawn!"<LI>Merry's little speech to Pippin during the ent-moot is good, too.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #24
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

ah, I'd have to say Merry's lines during the entmoot. <P>'You're part of this world, aren't you?' is great..and..<P>'The fires of Isengard will spread, and the woods of Tuckborough and Buckland will burn. And...and all that was once green and good in this world will be gone. There won't be a Shire, Pippin.'<P>This was, my absolute favourite line in the movie, I thought it was pretty intense.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:25 PM   #25
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>From what I have seen so far, The Return of the King will be upping the ante on dramatic lines and dramatic speeches.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah good, I'll be anticipating those along with all the other great stuff RotK has to offer .<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'You're part of this world, aren't you?'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know, I didn't really like that line very well. Perhaps it was just to predictable or something, but I just haven't caught on to it yet. I liked most of Sam's speech, but it did start to get a little long. It seems that the longer you get, the more you start stretching the drama to thinly.<P><B>Also</B>: I thought all of Theoden's speech in Helm's Deep was rather intense/dramatic.<p>[ 9:17 PM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:18 AM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Mariska Greenleaf!<BR>Oh, and I love Karl Urban, i am a Karl Urban fangirl, i went Nuts the other day becuase at Movie World they had the set of Ghost ship and there was a giant picture of him, but anyway, im rambling...<P>All of Éomer's lines...<P>and um.. oh yes.<P>"Where was the horse and the rider" speech, that was the most intense, by far.<P>or "Your words are Poison!" - Éowyn<BR>And the song she sings in old English in the EE.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #27
Failivrin
Wight

Sting

i have remembered some more that i really liked:<P>"A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor to show his quality."<P>it shows so much about him in an odd way.<P>"Theoden, son of Thengel, too long have you sat in the shadows"<P>"Breathe the free air again, my friend"<P>and finally,<P>"Dark have been my dreams of late..."
Old 12-14-2003, 01:47 PM   #28
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of my favorite characters is Theoden, mostly because of his lines.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "So it begins." <P>and<P>"How did it come to this?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But my favorite line belongs to Gandalf.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "I have not past through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can't wait to see Aragorn's "This day we fight" speech.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote