The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2003, 05:54 AM   #1
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What possible change are you most worried about in ROTK

I've started this thread which is simillar to the one started by willkill4food on Scene(s) you most want to see (done right) in RotK <P>I quoted on this thread that I was worried that Jacskon might change the Mount Doom scene to make it more 'heroic'. My point was:<P>Gollum MUST fall into the cracks of doom. No push by frodo or sam. we do not need any heorics here. this is the point of the whole story. It is about REDEMPTION not herosim at the very end. The quest was fulfilled because they had pity for Gollum and let him live. If he changes this at all, then it will ruin the whole trilogy for me.<P>This is only my opinion, I have heard NO news on what happens at the cracks of doom.<P>What are you guys worried about what he might change to the detriment of the film (if anything)?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:15 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Agreed. On the same scene (though it is very unlikely that they will leave this bit out) Frodo must refuse to destroy the Ring before Gollum steals it. Again, this concerns 'heroics'. Frodo must be shown to be weaker than Sauron, even though it is not traditional to show the hero as weaker than the villain. It would be folly to deny this.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a person who can easily adapt to change, and has done so for the last two movies, I have no worries about changes to Return of the King. I'll be happy as long as Denethor is mean, there's a nice large fire, and a few ridiculous outfits.<P>I'm worried that Frodo will be overlooked in favour of Aragorn.<P>But that's about it.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'll be happy as long as Denethor is mean, there's a nice large fire, and a few ridiculous outfits.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well, it looks like you'll get your wish, <B>Meela</B>! Denethor seemed mighty mean in the TTT:EE and those winged helmets look awfully silly! Imagine that Aragorn's crown has the biggest wings of all! Aragorn doesn't strike me as the type to wear wings! Anyway, I rather hope that there is some way to adequately illustrate not the meanness of Denethor, but his complexity, the fact that he is as learned in lore and farsighted as his unfavorite son Faramir (of course Faramir doesn't have the 'advantage'of a personal palantir!), but that he interpreted the signs all differently and to his own harm. But I know this won't happen, because they already turned the information on its head and Boromir knew more about the Ring of Power than did Faramir! I always like to imagine taking off the "If" in Faramir's line "If there is need to go to Rivendell, send me in his stead." Makes it a little easier to imagine that Faramir knows something he isn't talking about. I must say that the brief glimpse of Denethor in the EE made me almost put my own father's face to him in my mind! Unfortunate, that!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Visual Companion to the Return of the King clearly implies that Frodo will be unable to surrender the Ring. So it will probably be about the same as in the book.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

My greatest worry is how they'll handle Faramir. According to a recent Newsweek article, Faramir leads a suicide mission to prove his worth to his father. I always liked the way Tolkien had it, in that Faramir and Eowyn fall in love. I saw that as the beginning of the healing process after the war, and if Jackson really does leave that out, then I'll feel as if there's a story line left hanging at the end of the movies. But then, I don't think Eowyn seemed too enamoured with Aragorn in the movies, so I suppose it won't be too bad.<P>Another change I'm not to happy about is Jackson's decision to cut out the Scouring of the Shire. In my opinion, this was one of the best scenes in the whole book, but if he left it out, then I suppose he must have had a reason in doing so.<P>However, no matter what changes Jackson makes, I'm sure the movie is going to be splendid. Despite the changes in the first two movies that rattled me at first, I feel that they were (and are) both extremely well made and carefully crafted works of art.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am personally not worried about any of the changes that have been rumored to have been made. After seeing the trailer, I think that ROTK will be the best movie out of the 3.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a little worried about how Sauron will be portrayed in ROTK. It has been a while since I read it, but in the book, just as the ring was about to be destroyed, Sauron becomes aware of it in Mt Doom and appeares as a giant blast of fire just as Gollum falls into the Crack. At that point Sauron manifests as a giant black fiery cloud blowing out of Mt Doom spreading out over the battlefield and then blowing in the wind. I have a feeling PJ will change that in some way.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 10:50 PM   #9
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that's all he changes, I'll be a happy Half-Elf.<P>Linaeve, your mind may rest at ease about Faramir (at least I think so). The movie has him being healed by Aragorn (I saw a picture of it in the Visual Companion), and Miranda Otto has mentioned a few things about her character's relationship with Faramir, so I think it's safe to say he'll be relatively unchanged from the book.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As a person who can easily adapt to change<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wish you could pass some of that this way !<P>I'm not sure which change would most disturbe me. I haven't been delving into Spoilers to deeply this time around (last movie & all), but I haven't seen any really major changes (that haven't dissolved). Maybe someone should create a new thread asking which changes disapointed us most after the movie is out :/.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I'm not that worried about much—the only thing I worry is that they'll save some of the really good scenes for the EE and I'll have to wait longer to see them. This includes the death of Saruman (however they do it) and consequently good Pippin material dealing with the stealing of the Palantír. Since I have seen pictures of his pilfering, I know it will be in somewhere, but I'd like to see it sooner than later, in a movie theater rather than my small squat TV!<P>Also, the Houses of Healing: if most of the good Éowyn/Faramir interaction (honestly it's one of my favorite parts of the book! *sighs romantically*) is minimized and relegated to the EE I'll be disappointed.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #12
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Also, the Houses of Healing: if most of the good Éowyn/Faramir interaction (honestly it's one of my favorite parts of the book! *sighs romantically*) is minimized and relegated to the EE I'll be disappointed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm sorry, Diamond. It's already been cut from the theatrical version. <P>If PJ does anything whatsoever to screw up the Mount Doom scene, I'm going to be quite angry.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:56 PM   #13
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, considering the blasphemy in the second movie I'm terrified that PJ will do something utterly ridiculous like have Arwen kill the Witch King instead of Eowyn.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Well, considering the blasphemy in the second movie I'm terrified that PJ will do something utterly ridiculous like have Arwen kill the Witch King instead of Eowyn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Rest assured, it aint happening. There where rumours that Arwen would fight at the 'big battle', but those have been all but disappeared as well .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'm really rather irritated at the loss of the Scouring of the Shire. I thought it showed the growth of the hobbits and that they are capable of taking care of themselves. I thought it was one of the most important parts of the book. Besides, you can't expect to come home after a year away (especially after helping in a war for the fate of the world!) and expect nothing to be changed! According to Newsweek, PJ took it out because he hated that part of the book. Well, it's his right, I guess, but I don't like it.<P>I'm also sad about the removal of Faramir and Eowyn. I loved that part! <P>I hope that they don't make Aragorn save everybody and make him a big hero or something. Yeah, he did his part, but he's not the only character. From what I've seen, the press is acting like Aragorn is the main character and somewhat ignoring Frodo. ARG!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 PM   #16
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I hope that they don't make Aragorn save everybody and make him a big hero or something. Yeah, he did his part, but he's not the only character. From what I've seen, the press is acting like Aragorn is the main character and somewhat ignoring Frodo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>From what I hear, It's Sam who's the big hero of the film, not Aragorn or Frodo. And to be honest with you I'm beyond OK with that. As far as I'm concerned Sam is the hero all along so the more PJ supports my little theory the better . Also it's much easier to market a Kingly looking Viggo than dirty Sam and Frodo. <P>About PJ cutting 'The Scouring' I really don't believe it's anything to get riled up over. When I first heard ages ago I was rather disappointed as I love that chapter However, PJ has stated many times that he dislikes that part of the book and honestly, in the movies it would seem out of place and awkward- even if there were no restraints on time, which there are. My greatest heartache will probably come from the lack of a Faramir/Eowyn relationship in the Theatrical version but thats what the EE is for. So all in all I'm not really worried and I'm all for sitting back and couting down the days until I can see my favorite installment of the novels brought to life.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
lothiriel
Haunting Spirit

lothiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didnt know that there wouldnt be any scenes with Eowyn and Faramir in rotk,but i think that really sux, that was one of the best bits in the rotk book. I also reckon that peter jackson shouldnt have cut out the scenes with saruman.But even without those it'll still be the best movie ever so no complaints.
lothiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #18
Eowyn_Wildfire
Animated Skeleton

Eowyn_Wildfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eowyn_Wildfire
Sting

how do we know all the secens are cut or is it just rumor?
Eowyn_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #19
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's already been cut from the theatrical version. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh drat! That's one of my favorite parts too! My dad (who just recently finished reading LotR) says that he thinks that PJ'll try and kill off Éowyn or something drastic like that, but I don't think so. That would just be WAY too much change. I'm sad about the probable erasure of Imrahil, Halbarad, and Beregond, but it's mostly to be expected. I think RotK'll be great -- I can't wait!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:42 PM   #20
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

This might sound a little ridiculous but I'm really afraid that they're going to kill off someone who doesn't die in the books, for more emotional effect. I'm sure it's unlikely, but I have this nasty vision of Eomer being taken out along with Theoden, and Eowyn and Faramir taking over Rohan instead of a place that hasn't been mentioned in the movies yet.<P>Note to PJ: Please don't kill anyone who isn't supposed to die. It might have worked in Last of the Mohicans, but not here.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:50 AM   #21
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>This might sound a little ridiculous but I'm really afraid that they're going to kill off someone who doesn't die in the books, for more emotional effect. I'm sure it's unlikely, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't be so sure, <B>Kalimac</B>! Remember poor Haldir, who got dragged out of the border patrol in Lothlorien to be slaughtered heartlessly by Orcs at Helm's Deep! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:02 AM   #22
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Aren't you all over-reacting a little? Okay, so PJ cuts out a few minor characters to save confusion (my mom still gets Aragorn and Boromir confused. Imnagine what she'd be like with Faramir, Beregond and Imrahil...) but I really can't see him making drastic character changes such as Eomer or Eowyn dying. Perhaps he might do something like making Eomer extremely injured and fall down in a cloud of battle dust so we think he's dead but at the end he emerges triumphant, but not actually die.<P>Oh god, now I'm worrying about him actually doing it... thanks a lot, guys :P
Old 12-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #23
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to be honest, though i was initially upset about the axing of scouring, i have come round to it, i am also resigned to most of the other changes now and i am sure it will be a great movie. i am apprehensive about this 'sam the big hero' thing; i dislkied sam in the films, he was more annoying than loyal.<P>but the thing i STILL cannot cope with is the loss of Imrahil. i LOVE Imrahil, i htink he is a wonderful character and so many beautiful moments have been lost:<P>Imrahil will not realise that eowyn is still alive; it'll be left to gandalf or whoever<P>Imrahil will not carry the unconcious faramir back to minas tirith on his horse; faramir gets dragged back; i mean honestly!<P>and finally the men of gondor will not whisper that the knighs of Dol Amroth have elvish blood.<P>and of course there's halbarad, elladan and elrohir too . the audience isn't stupid- we can cope with more than 10 characters.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #24
Amaris Ethne
Animated Skeleton

Amaris Ethne has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amaris Ethne
Sting

All I can say is that the last line of the movie had darn well better be Samwise Gamgee sitting at a table with a child on his lap, and dinner in front of him saying "well, I'm home." Or else Peter Jackson is getting a rather nasty letter from me.
Amaris Ethne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #25
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Much like of the Elves doming to Helms Deep. PJ might have the dwarfs coming to Pelennor.<P><BR>If he did that, i would be the worlds angriest person. <BR>I read somewhere that they are going to take out the scene with Gandalf and Saruman in RotK.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:42 PM   #26
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

There is no Saruman whatsoever in Rotk.<P>I think... maybe there's a teeny bit... but I think there isn't.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #27
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Tolkien

What kinda movie is it without Sarumon
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #28
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> PJ cuts out a few minor characters to save confusion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Here in Tolkien heaven there is NO SUCH THING as a minor character!!<P>I'm sure that there will be many gut-wrenching changes that will have my groaning in disgust, but I've come to think that that is par for the course with LOTR and any other book to movie transition (except maybe Harry Potters which were actually faithful depictions unlike ROTK will be). Since I enjoy so many parts of the book it's hard to say which change will be the most disappointing. So long as the Grey Havens is done well (which I am confident it will be) I will be happy in the end. That includes a glimpse of Valinor, which is one of my favourite parts in the book. I can't wait to see Bilbo again.<P>I think that PJ and co probably learned a lot from the reaction to TTT, and will be more careful in considering changes from the original story. Arwen's battle scenes have apparently been dropped. I think it's a case of screaming fans getting through to the production team. Excuse me for mentioning another great trilogy, but I believe the same happened to George Lucas between Episodes I and II. There was never a midi-chlorian mentioned in Episode II, thank god! I think that PJ will probably bring a lot of Tolkien fans back to the fold, and I can't wait to see ROTK (despite the unfavourable review I saw on TV last nite).<P>By the way, the change I am most looking forward to is the (probable) disappearance of Ioreth! Good riddance!!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:10 PM   #29
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I thought I heard she was in it.